every generation

every generation

A Poem by newyearnorma

every generation has its "thing"

the thing it sells to the young people as the truth

 

The 60s brought us free love, when is love ever really free?

 

The 70s  brought us the drug generation.  The do whatever you want with no consequences and we all know nothing works that way.

 

The 80s brought us the "me" generation.  News flash you are not special or unique.

 

The 90s brought us the  "feelings" generation.  Sitting around drinking mocha lattes and using words like closure.  Does anyone ever really get closure about anything?

 

00s brought us the "PC" generation.  Everyone being equal and everything being fair.  Every kid getting on the team and a trophy even when they lose.   Guess what not ever kid is going to be a sports star.

 

Now its the "wall street protesters" generation.  Half of those dont know what they are protesting and the other half has no where better to go. 

 

We are like the story of the  Emperor's new clothing, each generation in a collective delusion of grandeur

© 2011 newyearnorma


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

LOL! Well I read 20 of your poems (seriously, I looked through your site for quite a while!) and this one I found the most intriguing.

You are very direct in your expression of your feelings, and that is a beautiful thing, because so many people do not have the confront to be direct

If your purpose for writing is merely to vent (which is a TOTALLY valid purpose btw) then it is enough to just get whatever it is off your chest

If your purpose is to move others to an enlightened perspective, even if so prevent them from suffering the kind of pain that you have suffered, then their are tools that you can use that will increase the effectiveness of your communication. This is not a criticism, this is knowledge learned the hard way being passed on.

You have a VERY high ability to communicate, not everyone does. That is a "weapon" of sorts that you could employ. Poetic writing and prose attract and involve the audience that you are speaking to using various different techniques: A few simple ones are
1. Rhyme, lace rhymes into your writing, they captivate
2. simile (comparisons of unlike things that convey your concepts more quickly and easily. For example: "His words burned into me like a branding iron") Obviously words don't literally burn flesh as a branding iron would but often the feelings we get from peoples words FEEL like they burned us!
3. Compassion. When we demonstrate that we can empathize with the way another feels, even if we don't agree or at odds with them, it makes what we are expressing more human. Though many don't have the strength to forgive, most relate to a person who can at least conceive of the other persons lot...

I think that you have a GREAT potential as a writer. You are ALIVE and fighting for life, that is evident in your writing. If you can elevate it just a wee bit, by adding a bit of artistic aesthetics into your work, doors will start opening for you that you never expected to.

Good luck! I spent the time to write this review for you because I think you have a great potential

Posted 7 Years Ago


Enjoyed this write..

Posted 12 Years Ago


Interesting and thought provoking Indeed. Great write.

Posted 12 Years Ago


We have no choice of the generation we grow up in .. No matter the day, we must reach for the best life has to offer , and maybe not just "go along" or follow blindly everything in the world around us ..

Interesting ... Jazz

Posted 12 Years Ago


Interesting thought provoking write, I rather enjoyed this piece. I never quite looked at the generations that way. As far as the protesting generation that we may be in, I understand the people want change and for many not a lot of things are happening and everything seems to be going down hill to most. One reason why I like art so much, is to protest maybe silently in a certain sense rather than causing commotion and chaos among the streets. Nicely done piece!

Posted 12 Years Ago


:) Nicely put

Posted 12 Years Ago


I tend to like your perspective on things. Your are dead on in this poem (I was part of the 70's drug thing (marijuana and hash, nothing harder). I think your point is made in the last paragraph. In fact that paragraph could stand alone and your point would be made. I hope it's not lost on people because if we learned from our past lessons, we wouldn't be where we are today as a world.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Well put. I was never part of any of them being far tooooooo uncool to know one end of a thing from another. But then being on the outside of everything all the time has a certain consistency to it. The one thing we all have in common is that none of us every really knows what we are doing, least of all those who say they do.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 28, 2011
Last Updated on December 28, 2011


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


lame lame

A Poem by newyearnorma