Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Niara Hill

Here I was, eight years after everything, my red pumps abandoned on the carpet floor next to the bed. Why did this have to happen to me? I couldn’t shake the thought out of my head. Everything was inside that bag! I was so dead! The phone rang and I jumped at the sudden sound.

Hello?Miss? I… I am so sorry to inform you… that… uh… your luggage has still not been found. Miss? Are you there? Miss” 

I couldn’t think of a single thing to say to the poor girl at the other end of the phone. It wasn’t her fault and she could possibly lose her job because of me. I had expected everything to be perfect! She kept trying. Miss? Can I help you with something else? Miss?”

That’s alright - Catherine is it?”

Yes,” she replied, her voice shaky and scared.

I couldn’t yell at the poor girl! Like I said, none of this was her fault! I’ll be fine for one night, just make sure my luggage is brought up before I check out tomorrow. No later than seven, got that?”

 Yes, of course Miss! I will definitely make sure of it!” She sounded relieved.

Oh and Katherine-”

Yes Miss?”

I could really do with some extra shampoo and a pair of pyjamas…”

Right away Miss!”

I hung up on the poor girl and glanced across the room at the minibar. A drink wouldn’t solve everything but it might at least stop me from thinking about what he would say. Or worse…

I poured myself a glass of whiskey - neat, no ice �" and downed it in an instant. I was on my third drink when I heard the knock on the main door.

Room Service,” a voice called out politely.

Come in,” I shouted after I’d hid in the bathroom.

After everything that had happened, even after my third drink in this Five Star Hotel, I was still avoiding people! And when exactly had the thick ponytail and Nikes of my sixteen-year-old self turned into red pumps and a blonde bob?

The phone rang again but I was half-way through the bottle by now and could barely move. I ignored it, rummaging instead through my handbag. In there was the beginning of everything.     

 

            Dear mom and dad,

            I Love you so much it hurts! But I f*****g hate this life, too much bullshit! All I feel like doing is getting high and drunk to avoid you!

            F**k this! I’m leaving!

            Love you forever, Alex”

 

This letter and the memory of that time stayed with me… But everything was just so different now!



© 2016 Niara Hill


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Great opening. The story has a lot going for it. You have elevated the story, to where it presently is. I have found it to be very well crafted. I thank you for submitting this to the critique. It was enjoyable to open up the story and be right there, I thank you.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Your writing voice is very authentic and natural, which is great and makes it really easy to read, but your exclamation points are overused. Why not, instead of telling me that it was intense, don't you make me sympathise with the frustration? The anger shouldn't be directed at me, you should make me feel angry. All it would take might be a few changes in the wording or phrasing. I did enjoy the rawness of it though. Best of luck!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Great opening. The story has a lot going for it. You have elevated the story, to where it presently is. I have found it to be very well crafted. I thank you for submitting this to the critique. It was enjoyable to open up the story and be right there, I thank you.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A good opening, so many questions have been set and left unanswered. It grabbed my attention from the start and held on to it until the last word.

I wan to know more so don't abandon this story unfinished

Well done

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Niara Hill

8 Years Ago

Thank you! I won't a new chapter will be posted today! Glad everyone's liking it :)
xx
.. read more
Leon C

8 Years Ago

send me a message once you've posted so I remember to come back
Niara Hill

8 Years Ago

Will do, you can also subscribe to it on the options on the top of the page.
xx
Hmm. Not sure what's going on... But hey, it grabs my attention, so it's doing it's job. This is the prologue so I don't expect to know all the details just yet.

100/100 so far for getting my attention!

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Niara Hill

8 Years Ago

Ohh!!! Thank you :D

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

465 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 25, 2016
Last Updated on January 26, 2016
Tags: prologue


Author

Niara Hill
Niara Hill

London, United Kingdom



About
Hi, I like to write for fun. I get inspiration from all of the stories floating in my head. Hope you like them xx more..

Writing
The Beginning The Beginning

A Chapter by Niara Hill