Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
8

8

A Chapter by Nickalas Cannon

It's back to present time, John and McKenzie are both sitting at the table outside still. McKenzie breaks the silence, "Can I ask a question, John?" He nods his head and she asks, "Did you see anyone else at the hospital, other than your wife and son, John?" "Yes, I did. I saw a African American woman, who was standing in front of me in the room." "Can you describe her?" "She was average height, bright curly brown hair. She was wearing pants, a white shirt and leather jacket." McKenzie takes the information, that Samantha was after all, truly correct that she did see him and he did see her. "Did she say anything to you?" "She said, I must listen to you because you know how I feel and what I'm going through." McKenzie looks to her left and sees Samantha leaning against the car, just staring. John looks to that direction and sees her also. Samantha smiles and waves her hand at them, McKenzie turns and faces John's direction, he waves back at Samantha's direction. Samantha fades away and disappears.

McKenzie says, "Let's go, I'll let you stay at my place." They get up and leave, both coffee cups left behind, steaming. The car ride to her house was little long, so both was able to have a small conversation. John speaks up, "I saw her again," he looks over to her, "I saw the same woman from the hospital." McKenzie starts to question, "You did?" "Yes, and I know you did too, because you looked over at the car before I did." She lets out a long breath and places her hand on her forehead as they stop at a red light. "Her name is, Samantha, she was my partner on the force. She died about five years ago, around winter time, she was off-duty. I was taking her home, the roads were icy, a little slick. We were driving, a deer came out in front of us, I slammed on the brakes of the car. The back end of the car came around and we spined around in continuous circles. Until then, we stopped spinning, a semi-truck came around the corner, above the winter speed limits, and smashed into us. The truck smashed on Samantha's side, it killed her and severely hurted me. I only started seeing her two years later after her death. Before that, it felt like hell, it felt like I was the cause of the accident but she told me it wasn't, that it wasn't my fault at all. That it was bound to happen to anybody on that road." John is sad for what happened to her, "I...I'm sorry for what happened McKenzie. I didn't know, I'm sorry." They arrive at her house, he steps out of the door but McKenzie doesn't. "Are you coming McKenzie?" "No, unfortunately I have to go to the station and work, but the key is inside the fake rock in the garden." "Okay," he shuts the door and she drives off.


© 2013 Nickalas Cannon


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
Added on July 31, 2013
Last Updated on July 31, 2013
Tags: mystery, suspense, science fiction


Author

Nickalas Cannon
Nickalas Cannon

Rocky Harbour, TX, Canada



About
I turned 21 and I figured I should be able to express my feelings of poetry writing and blogging. I work with the elderly everyday which is demanding and yet very satisfying more..

Writing
I am I am

A Poem by Nickalas Cannon