The Last moment

The Last moment

A Story by Gemma23
"

A short story about the last moment on earth of a man and how he was reunited with the soul he loved dearly.

"

          He breathed heavily under the stars. It was very cold that his breath turns to fog the second they left his nostril. He couldn't feel anything. Not the chill, not the pain, nothing. Above his head, the moon is filling up the sky. “Hunter’s moon” he whispers. So soft that you may think that it was the wind howling.

          The moon light up the wood that he’s not in the darkness at all, except for the darkness creeping inside his heart. Despair and anger start to crawl their way to poison that little child hiding in the corner of his heart. He started to lose his senses.

          But like what people says about moment of despair when the Grim Reaper stand close to you, waiting for grains of sand to fall down, everything will eventually come back to you. Even the darkness retreated for a moment. Under the clear moonlight, he could see that face, as lucid as it can be. There was the personification of summer herself, just like the moment he first saw her.

          Stand between him and the moon, was a woman he used to love so dearly. With her ocean blue dress, corn yellow hair, and a wide hat she wore when she was enjoying herself by the lake over quarter of century ago. He looked at the summer in the middle of winter and smiled. Not sure whether in the end, the universe was doing him a favor by once again fulfill his last wish or his bleeding had become so bad that he was hallucinating. Either way, he was filled with joy.

          She walked through the snow toward his direction. “Dear, are you alright?” she asked.

          Her voice was music for his ear, more beautiful than a choir of angel singing on St. Peter’s gate, welcoming the souls. How her beautiful eyes reminds him of the stars where they first kissed and now, the goddess of summer himself, standing by him. What else could he wish for?

          “Is it the time yet? I’m feeling cold” he said weakly. She approached him and hugged him with such gentleness that he felt warm in the middle of the snowfield.

          He raised his head and looked at her and said “I had a terrible nightmare. I’m scared”.

          She just smiled and hugged him tighter. She whispered to his ear, “Tell me what happen. I’m here, nothing can hurt you”.

          He nodded weakly and closed his eyes as if he was exhausted. “I had a dream that we got married but everything changes. You didn't love me anymore. You left me for another man because you think that I was selfish. But it was not. I was working on something that I hoped can bring fortune to us. I’m sorry that I’m not good enough as a man that I couldn't make enough for our daughter. It was a very long dream. In the end, you left me and live with that man. But not long after that, you died of cancer. I came to your funeral to see your beautiful face for the last time and to pick up our daughter from your new husband. But he was infuriated by my presence. He sends some men to take me away. And when I woke up, I saw the hunter’s moon and it reminds me of you. I hope I can just hug you and shoo away the bad dream”.

          He coughed terribly but she tried to comfort him. Hugging him even closer and tried to make him more comfortable. The snows around them were already red by the blood. The bullet cut through a vein and caused a terrible bleeding. He lost his consciousness rapidly.

          “Hush hush, the bad dream will go. There’s nothing to worry about. Now I am here with you, and it is all that matter. Now let me sing you our song”. She hummed a melody. It was very soft like a nightingale on the branch. Song so beautiful that can only be produced with love.

          “Ah you remember. I made that song for you to remind you of the first time we met. You were sitting on the grass, with that wide hat under the willow by the lake. You were very beautiful that I quickly approached you, putting aside my fear of rejection. I knew that men had stand in love for your hand. But you rejected them all. I knew that my chance was slim, but your beauty conquered and I took the risk” he said nostalgically.

          She chuckled and continued “yes, I remembered that moment dearly. I was anxious whether you would approach me or not. I've been noticing you since you drop your books near the cinema. But you never saw me. I hoped you would approach earlier. And about the men I left you for, I thought that you were not in love with me anymore. I was just trying to make you jealous. I’m sorry I bought a trouble to both of us. Turns out I involved myself with someone very dangerous that I couldn't even run away. I’m sorry for that as well”.

          He nodded and smiled. Nothing else matter since both of them were on each other arms for once again. He said “Thank you for coming here for me, dearest love. Now is the comet here? I hope it is here. It was very impressive. It always reminds me of how we vow to each other, under that comet on Aegean Sea”.

          Suddenly a comet passed by above them, above the moon which just set. “I love you” he whispered. As the comet leaves the sky, so was his last breath. And as the death is just a beginning, a pair of stars is twinkling in the furthest corner of the sky, where the lover reunites again on the sky.

         

 

© 2014 Gemma23


Author's Note

Gemma23
This is my first short story so opinions are welcomed!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
Added on March 5, 2014
Last Updated on March 5, 2014
Tags: romance, short-story, experimental

Author

Gemma23
Gemma23

Writing
untitled untitled

A Story by Gemma23