Melanie's Mornings

Melanie's Mornings

A Story by mae23

At 5:00 a.m. you wouldn’t expect so many people to be out yet the streets of the city are bustling and lively. People on phones, carrying briefcases and suitcases, and walking dogs all elbow past each other eager to get where they’re going. No one takes the time to stop and notice the brilliant gold, orange, and red leaves that fly in the fall breeze. At least almost no one notices.

Standing in front of a tall oak tree is a woman. She wears a blue dress with black leggings and a name-tag that reads “Melanie”: the uniform for her job at Doug’s Diner. Her red, curly hair cascades down her back and dances in the wind. She is staring up through the branches of the oak tree, catching glimpses of the sunrise that matches the colors of the leaves falling around her.

Melanie always stops by this tree after late night or early morning shifts at the diner. She loves working there, greeting all her regulars and easily making friends with new customers. She loves the non-stop motion of the job, the feeling that there is always something that needs to be done. But still, every time she steps out of the diner she feels the need to release a sigh, to settle herself, and the grand oak tree enables her to do just that.

© 2017 mae23


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting & vivid character portrait in words. You start out showing the overall scene, then your camera hones in on this everyday person. Such a glimpse into Melanie's mornings gives the reader a suggestion that even our littlest & most ordinary details of life can be written into a colorful & interesting vignette.

Posted 6 Years Ago


A lovely image, this Melanie who routinely unplugs from daily life and admires nature's beauty. It refreshes her, I think. All should appreciate the awesome displays our planet provides. Very good writing, Mae.

Posted 6 Years Ago


mae23

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much!
I love the picture you paint with your descriptive words. However, I think I and perhaps many others would like to hear more about Melanie.

I also write short, well not so short stories such as
The Dance or Sand Castles.

Posted 6 Years Ago


In Ireland farmers were loath o cut down trees to make way for crops for the felt the tree had a spirit - the current leader of the IRA, Gerry Adams is a well-known 'tree-hugger'.
I like this affinity between woman and nature.

Posted 6 Years Ago


mae23

6 Years Ago

Very interesting and thank you
A very good story written. I liked the use of nature to help her gather her senses. Good description made people and location come alive for the reader. Thank you dear Poet for sharing the amazing story.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


mae23

6 Years Ago

Thank you!
Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

You are welcome my friend.
A good one. It seems pretty simple but it's not. And it's the piece's best quality! Admired it a lot!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Anjali

6 Years Ago

Yes absolutely! It's perfect the way it is. I don't know what other people might think, but in my op.. read more
mae23

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much! :)
Anjali

6 Years Ago

You are very welcome!
A calm, well written story, with beautiful imagery on the trees, and the insight on Melanie's mornings at the diner!
I really liked it, well done, keep it up!

Posted 6 Years Ago


mae23

6 Years Ago

Thank you!
Mr.Writer

6 Years Ago

No problem :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

262 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 14, 2017
Last Updated on July 14, 2017

Author

mae23
mae23

NY



About
"My memories are the only places I'll ever see any of it again, and I wonder if this is what writers are supposed to do, rebuild places it in there minds - places long gone, places that disappear, and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Shimmer Shimmer

A Poem by D Connolly


Search me... Search me...

A Chapter by Dr. YumnaKay