WITHOUT A HITCH

WITHOUT A HITCH

A Poem by Norbanus
"

Sometimes conscience driven honest is not the best choice.

"

As often happens when temptation rules 

a winning strategy brings only grief. 

The woman smiles at all us nodding fools 

I jump in first to seek her quick relief.

 

Now, back at home my conscience steals the show 

and blabbing puts me on another track. 

My wife made clear it's best she did not know. 

She throws my Xbox in the trash out back. 


The ball bat takes its toll. I hear her say. 

'I've done the deed without a single hitch. 

His broken bones and teeth have won the day.' 

She tossed the bat in with me, in the ditch.

 

She rushed off then, I knew she’d go to church,

She’d find a mate, not be left in a lurch.


© 2017 Norbanus


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thank you for reminding me why I never got married! *wink! wink!* This is probably the portrait you'd be word-painting about ME, had I ever been set loose upon the possibilities! I can feel the vindication from here with that baseball bat (which would've been my instrument of torture as well!) Fondly, Margie

Posted 6 Years Ago


Norbanus

6 Years Ago

Happy days! I found just the right hero for you to identify with. I wonder what she's doing now?
You did it. You used it. She broke it - Ahhhhh well, it’s for the best- ha! Witty, funny, sardonic gem here. Love the form, flow, cadence and rhyme (of course!). Great (& still laughing)!....

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is a fun piece with some great bits of dark humour. I would assume this is the same narrator all the way through, and not simply three separate vignettes. If so, the small switch to third person in the third stanza is a little confusing (for then you switch back to first person in the last line). Also, the couplet could use some tweaking......"she'd not be late" could easily be switched to "to not be late" (this is just me not being too fond of the contractions involving "would" or "had".....you have last call), and the last line is not iambic (I'd suggest: "For, like before, it's where to find a mate). Well done otherwise!!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Oh never let thy conscience get the better of one.
A woman scorned, is a runaway car heading all the way to your house. Plead insanity, lie, lie,lie.
Just never admit.
A woman with a baseball bat, with your name on the swing, will break all that's bone, and just about damn well everything.

Posted 6 Years Ago


A simple but powerful piece that resonates in kindness and time, well done, good read.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Norbanus

6 Years Ago

Thanks for the kind words, Thomas

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

366 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 6, 2017
Last Updated on November 13, 2017

Author

Norbanus
Norbanus

About
Norbanus is the leader of the Anus Clan, and has consumed his Biblically allocated three score and ten. He is a hero of all the ages, having witnessed the birth of planets, the drowning of the eart.. more..

Writing
Safe Earth Safe Earth

A Poem by Norbanus



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Damaged Damaged

A Poem by MCS