Chapter Three, Search

Chapter Three, Search

A Chapter by J. R.
"

It's been so long since I've updated this. I've been struck by a rather bad case of writer's block. Now that I'm over it, let's put this show back on the road.

"

The next few days drifted by quietly, with not much out of the ordinary going on in the village. Achai was out by the stream filling a jar with water. A rust colored bird was building a nest in a hollow old oak tree.

Achai had just filled the jug when Ama had run up to him, her eyes wide with fear. She was winded and

“Achai! Come quickly! It's Makawi! She's been taken!"


Ama led Achai to the Elder's hut. Achai could just barely keep up with her.


The Elder's hut was the largest one in the village. The door way was flanked by colorful statues of winged guardian spirits clutching spears. Inside, The Elder was standing with a look of utter shock on his face. At his side was Tahoma. Kangee, Washta and Enyeto were there as well.


"Achai." The Elder said, solemnly. "I must ask of you a favor. My daughter, Makawi has gone missing since this morning. I suspect the spirits that Akecheta saw the other night have something to do with it. That's why I've gathered you here."


The Elder breathed a deep, sad sigh. " I know I'm asking a lot of you, but it must be done. You must venture beyond the safety of the forest."


Enyeto coughed loudly.


"Leave the forest?!" But...


Tahoma interrupted him.


"This will be no easy task, but remember that our village depends on you."


Achai couldn't help but notice that Kangee had a wide grin on his face.


The Elder continued.


"I've gathered you to go out and search for her, consider this your test of maturity. If you bring my daughter back, immense honor will be bestowed upon you."





They agreed to go on the quest. They really didn't have any other choice. If they refused, they would live out the rest of their lives as those who refused the Elder and doomed his daughter to a horrible death somewhere out there.


Achai remained silent and went along with it, though deep down, he was horrified. 


The next day, Achai, Washta, Kangee and Enyeto gathered some provisions and stood on the edge of the village as the others bid their farewells.


Ama went up to Achai.


"Achai" She said, "Please return alive. and tell me what the world outside is like."


Achai said. "I will."



They set off into the forest. Their hearts heavy and their minds full of thoughts of adventure and fear and anticiption of the new world that lay beyond the nurturing canopy.



© 2011 J. R.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

244 Views
Added on February 7, 2011
Last Updated on May 10, 2011
Tags: a, new, world, chapter, three, search


Author

J. R.
J. R.

About
I am an aspiring writer who is interested in improving as a writer and getting my work out to the world. . more..

Writing