The game of Life (Monopoly is better)

The game of Life (Monopoly is better)

A Poem by Gaige

 I contemplate a lot of things, perhaps too much, and it makes life appear as some sort of elusive puzzle. You're given this idea as a kid of what life is like: monopoly. It's a big box, and its cover makes you think of how much fun it's going to be. You get some money, you have friends around. All you need to do is roll the dice, land on park place, and eventually pass go. But that's the beautiful delusion, the entrapment of child naivety and gullibility. In reality you tear the lid off the box at some certain age that varies from person to person. You rummage around and pull out that simply complex game board, but the pieces aren't all there. In fact many are missing, and some of them don't even belong to Monopoly. Then you remember how life was explained to you as a kid. You find the instructions and you begin to read, or make a valiant attempt to. The instructions (for some reason) are in French, and you actually know some French. Why? Well one semester in college you met this girl named Lauren. She loves French, France, dancing, exotic food, karaoke, camping, hiking, the same music and movies as you, walking through cities with only you. Her soul is gorgeous like a sunset that you could watch forever. So for this girl you learn French, and it just so happens that a lot of the directions and quips of life are in French. She may have broken your heart, but at least now you can play the game the right way now right? But what the hell are you supposed to do about those missing, mismatching pieces? You learned French already, and that was quite a difficult undertaking. Why shouldn't you learn how to make those pieces that seemingly don't belong fit into your game? Maybe if you look hard enough you'll come across the pieces you're missing. And what you're left isn't the monopoly you were promised as a child, but the life you've made. It's perfection in all its inherent flaws. All of this because you were convinced of something as a child, met Lauren, learned french, got your heart broken, and saw the world for the beautiful, cruel creature it is. It's a wide, magical world. Go explore it, play some Monopoly.

© 2011 Gaige


Author's Note

Gaige
Pretty self-reflective here. Hope you enjoy this as much as I enjoyed writing it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

hahaha I like how u used monopoly as a metaphor somehowww

Posted 12 Years Ago


(: This is amazing! I love it haha

Posted 12 Years Ago


They have made just about every different variation of monopoly. You've just made a new one. Very good.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This was really insightful, great job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


its better that you see the good effects beyond trials!!
...

Posted 12 Years Ago


I loved every bit of it.. It reminds me the name of an Angelina Jolie film.. "Life or Something Like That"... Excellent work my friend.. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


wow... that was so interesting reading it.. i could form an image of every line.. great job pash

Posted 12 Years Ago


I love this. Quite a bit.....
Really well done........

Posted 12 Years Ago


I thought this was very clever. I liked the interesting take on life! Nice Job. Thanks for sharing. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 11, 2011
Last Updated on October 11, 2011

Author

Gaige
Gaige

Folsom, CA



Writing
Weak and Human Weak and Human

A Poem by Gaige


Relentless Relentless

A Poem by Gaige



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..