The Scoop-OBX News from the Dare County Animal Shelter Vol.II, #3

The Scoop-OBX News from the Dare County Animal Shelter Vol.II, #3

A Story by obxaco
"

Latest installment of local newspaper column by Animal Control Officer

"

 

THE SCOOP

 

NEWS AND NOTES FROM THE OUTER BANKS S.P.C.A. & THE DARE COUNTY ANIMAL SHELTER

By: Richard C. Crino

 

 

Welcome back! In the spirit of the last issue of The Scoop, we continue to reach out to the community in an effort to enhance communication and share our work with you. This area is one of the most “animal friendly” places that I’ve seen and while we have a lot of support from a lot of great people and organizations, we still feel that we can do better. Together we are accomplishing great things to benefit the animals of Dare County. Let’s get involved!

CURRENT EVENTS & FRIENDLY REMINDERS…

 

 

Much appreciation to the anonymous donor that purchased a beautiful, brand new washer and dryer for the shelter. Mentioned only in passing that our washer was “on the fritz” again, these generous folks went out and purchased the set that very day and want no recognition. Well, here’s a big THANK YOU anyway!

 

 

 

“Keep your friends close and your enemies closer” on Friday, February 29th.. That is the date of the “Pound-a-Thon”, a fund raiser sponsored by our friends at the Puparazzi Pet Bow-tique in downtown Manteo. Take out a “warrant” to have your friend, co-worker, or boss “impounded” for the day at the Dare County Animal Shelter! Once they are in “custody” they will be given the opportunity to “raise bail” by phone in the form of donations to the S.P.C.A.! “Warrants” are available at the Shelter or on Puparazzi’s website (puparazzi.tripod.com). Beach 104 will also be there for a remote broadcast with prizes for participants!

Our annual “Adopt the Love of Your Life” event and Open House will be held at the Shelter Saturday, February 9th, in recognition of Valentine’s Day. The Outer Banks S.P.C.A. will pay your adoption fee on all approved adoption applications taken that day! Come over and join us and let’s get some animals adopted!
Join us on Thursday, February 7th for an evening of wine and cheese at The Seaside Art Gallery in Nag’s Head. This will kick-off a month long promotion by the gallery to benefit the Outer Banks S.P.C.A.. For the entire month of February, 10% of the proceeds from the sale of “animal related” art or merchandise will be donated to help our animals!
We are pleased to see that many (if not most) of you have already purchased your 2008 Dare County dog licenses. Thursday, January 31st is the last day that last year’s tags will be recognized as “current” so let’s take a minute and get Sparky up to date if you haven’t yet. Licenses can be purchased at the Shelter, 1031 Driftwood Dr. in Manteo, at the Dare County satellite offices in Buxton and Kill Devil Hills, and there is now a mail-in form that you can download from our website (obxspca.org). Cost is only $5.00 if your pet is spayed or neutered, $15.00 if not, and you will need to provide proof of rabies vaccination.

WHO’S WHO AT THE DARE COUNTY ANIMAL SHELTER

 

For this issue, the spotlight is on our adoption counselor and feline aficionado, Candice VanBrunt. Candice really does two jobs here at the shelter. Not only does she oversee the care and wellness of all of our cats, but she is also responsible for processing the applications for adoption for the entire shelter! She does a great job at both and we are all especially grateful for the way that she assures really good homes for our animals.

Candice has been at our Shelter for going on four years, now, and we hope to keep her here for a long, long time. The crew is all fond of her and she seems to have an uncanny knack for getting along with everybody.

Originally from New Jersey, she moved here with her family when she was about 10 years old and graduated from Manteo High School. I asked Candice when she developed her love for animals and she expressed fond memories of a childhood that included horses, ducks, rabbits, and dogs but, oddly enough, no cats! Her favorite pet in those days was a duck named “Goldie” that reportedly liked to chase people down and “goose” them!

Candice considers the most gratifying part of her job to see an adopted animal leave the shelter with his or her new family, setting out to start a new life. When asked what she considers most important in an adopting family, she answered without hesitation, “A lifelong commitment”.

When the day is done, Candice unwinds by sitting down with a good book, taking her dog for a walk, or working in the garden for a while. In the summer months, you’re likely to find her near the water-fishing, kayaking, boating, or camping.

Of course, like all of us at the Shelter, she shares her time with her pets, Ziggy, an American Eskimo Spitz and “Kitty”, a long haired orange tiger cat.

 

 

MORE ADOPTIONS!

 

We, as always, are proud to announce the adoptions of some more great animals to some excellent families. Adopted since last we met were Indigo, Tom, Wombat & Pearl, Silver, Lil’ Bit, Simon, Fawn, Chalupa, Janis, Annie, Callie, King & Rommel. Best of luck to them and theirs! We mean it when we say “Bring ‘em back to visit or at least send pictures!” We all love to see them happy with their new families.

 

 

 

ASK ANIMAL CONTROL

 

Q:

Last week, I returned to my home after only being gone a short time to find a notice on my door that said Animal Cruelty on it. I had my dog outside in a kennel in the yard. This dog is nearly fifteen years old, blind and deaf and badly arthritic. It was a nice day and I thought he could enjoy a little fresh air-now I’m being accused of animal cruelty? Anonymous

A:

The paperwork that you found was simply a notice that a call was received of a possible cruelty situation and that someone was dispatched to investigate. Without going in to the particulars of this case, let me say that this notice in itself is not an indictment or even necessarily an accusation of animal cruelty. It simply means that something was called to our attention that deemed further investigation and that an investigation did, in fact, take place. Often, we find that these calls are unfounded and the result of the investigation should be on that paperwork. I hope this answers your question and please try to understand that the caller and the officer are genuinely concerned about the dog’s welfare. We are certainly obligated to investigate these complaints not knowing until we arrive whether they may be legitimate.

 

 

 

UNTIL NEXT TIME…

Let’s not forget, too, that we humans invited and encouraged these animals to become dependent on us and we now have an obligation to care for them!

 

 

Send your questions or comments to:

Ask Animal Control

C/o Dare County Animal Shelter

P.O. Box 1000

Manteo, N.C. 27954

E-mail

Rich at [email protected]

© 2008 obxaco


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
Added on February 17, 2008