The Scoop-News and notes from the Outer Banks SPCA/ Dare County Animal Shelter

The Scoop-News and notes from the Outer Banks SPCA/ Dare County Animal Shelter

A Story by obxaco
"

latest edition of local newspaper column

"

THE SCOOP

 

NEWS AND NOTES FROM THE OUTER BANKS S.P.C.A. & THE DARE COUNTY ANIMAL SHELTER

By: Richard C. Crino

 

Welcome back! Here we are, it’s June already, and we’re about to celebrate another "First Friday" in downtown Manteo and we’re closing in on "Dare Day". The Outer Banks S.P.C.A. will again be represented at both events and we hope to see you there.

June is also "Adopt-A- Shelter Cat" month and, of course, the beginning of another Atlantic hurricane season. So, let's get started...

ADOPT- A- SHELTER CAT MONTH

 

The month of June is Adopt a Shelter Cat month. This is a good time to find that special cat or kitten that can make your family complete. Shelters all over the country find that the month of June is traditionally a tough time. Those spring kittens are old enough to leave their mothers and inevitably a good percentage of them show up at shelters looking for homes. At this time of year, you'll find most shelters (ours is no exception) at or near capacity and everyone working extra hard to get them adopted.

If you need further convincing as to why you should adopt a cat this month, consider these facts from American Humane:

Having a cat can reduce your blood pressure and even help prevent heart disease. A cat's purr is instantly calming and relaxing

Having a cat can provide companionship, fight depression and loneliness

Taking care of a cat can help to teach children responsibility and humane values

Cats are entertaining to watch and fun to play with

Cats are generally very clean and easy to housetrain if they're not already

Cats are usually independent and can stay at home while you're at work

Indoor cats that are spayed or neutered live long lives- sometimes 20 years or more

So many cats need good homes- adopting can mean saving a life!

Please remember, should you get a kitten from a friend or neighbor, or just find one and choose to take it home, to get them spayed or neutered as well as their rabies and other vaccinations. We have to all work together if we're ever to get a grip on this overpopulation problem.

ANOTHER HAPPY REUNION!

 

Once again it pays to call and fill out a lost pet report. On May 20th a cat was brought to our Animal Shelter by a man setting traps in his shed for a population of nuisance cats. This little female was very skinny and dehydrated when she came to the shelter but was still quite friendly and obviously belonged to someone. She was made comfortable, given fluids, and watched carefully to see that she was eating. In the meantime, lost reports turned up a possible match. There was a report of a buff colored female cat with blue eyes and a fluffy tail that had been lost in the same area in the beginning of April. Our hopes were lessened when we realised, however, that the missing cat, being declawed, would have had to survive outside for the more than 6 weeks that it had been missing. Making the call anyway, we asked Ms. Pugh to come to the shelter and take a look. She immediately came to the Shelter and sure enough, it was her cat “Willow”! She made an appointment for the veterinarian to see that her baby was suffering no long term effects from the ordeal, and they are living happily ever after at last report. These are the stories that make our day!

The moral of the story? Make sure your pets wear identification tags, report them missing as soon as possible, keep checking with us at regular intervals and don’t give up hope!

 

HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS REMINDERS

 

Last week was Hurricane Awareness Week and I thought we should include some reminders for animal lovers. We encourage any of you that may need advice or assistance in your planning to contact us and we will be glad to help you.

Make “Sparky” his own emergency supply kit, include supplies for up to a week’s stay in a strange place: pet food, water, bowls, litter, leashes, a crate or carrier, medicines, copies of vaccination / medical records and perhaps a favorite blanket, treat, and a toy to lessen his stress.

Include all of your pets in your family evacuation plan. Do your research now to ensure that wherever you decide to make your safe place, they will accept your animals as well. Many emergency evacuation shelters do not accept pets for health reasons. Make a list and contact boarding facilities, vets, or family near your destination now.

Identification is very important. All pets should wear a collar or harness with their current rabies tag, local licenses, an identification tag with your local information as well as your cell phone number and ideally the number of an out-of-town contact. Microchips have been proven to be another excellent form of identification in addition to tags (be sure they are registered with the manufacturer’s database).

Arrange with a neighbor to work on a “buddy system” - if you are not at home they can access your pets and pet supply kit for you and vice-versa. Make sure to exchange information regarding how and where you can be reached and any special instructions regarding care and medicines that may be necessary until you can meet.

Should you be separated from your pet, be prepared to document ownership through registration papers, photographs, and any other paperwork that will detail species, age, breed, sex, color, and distinguishing characteristics.

Round up your outdoor pets well in advance of a possible evacuation. Know where they are and confine them early just in case.

If you MUST, for some reason, leave your pets behind make sure they are indoors; in a safe room away from windows that has been pet-proofed. Leave plenty of food (dry type) and water in sturdy, non-spill container or a bathtub. Notify local authorities (Animal Control) of their whereabouts as soon as you are able.

 

ADOPTIONS

 

We had a really good run of adoptions since last we met! In the last two weeks, Gracie, Raisin, Remy, Nemo, and Mars, Pearl, Jewel, Elvis, Sarge, Misty, Maggie, Baby Girl, and my special little buddy Harbor were all adopted! We wish them the best of luck with their new families and in their new homes. We, as always, encourage you to bring’em back to visit or at least send pictures!

 

ASK ANIMAL CONTROL

 

Q:

I keep hearing about microchips…what are they and will they help me to find my pet if he is lost?

A:

Microchips have been around for quite a while now and really are a good identification tool. Inserted under the animal’s skin, usually between the shoulder blades, a microchip is about the size of a grain of rice. Most shelters and vets have scanners which will read the chip and produce a number that can be cross referenced to access owner information. They are also helpful in providing an absolute identification of an animal in an emergency situation or ownership dispute. Unfortunately they are only useful after the animal has been located. There are GPS tracking systems available for help locating lost animals and these are becoming more popular but these are a totally different thing that we can discuss another time perhaps.

 

UNTIL NEXT TIME…

 

Let’s not forget, too, that we humans invited and encouraged these animals to become dependent on us and we now have an obligation to care for them!

 

 

Send your questions or comments to:

Ask Animal Control

C/o Dare County Animal Shelter

P.O. Box 1000

Manteo, N.C. 27954

E-mail

Rich at [email protected]

© 2008 obxaco


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

308 Views
Added on June 21, 2008