The Lost Marble

The Lost Marble

A Story by Rév O'Conner
"

A serial killer choose a suicidal girl as his victim and they are both up for a surprise

"
Rancid air crept into my lungs, turning my stomach, but somehow I managed to keep the food inside. I didn't move. Soon, I was going to die, that was certain. He was young, almost of my age, slightly taller. He looked at me analyzing my every move but he was also expecting something from me, and I didn't understand what. He raised his Swiss army knife and slowly put it on my chest. I didn't retreat, speak, or show fear. It seemed to surprise him "You’re quiet." - It wasn't pronounced as a question. "Why?" - He said.

She didn't dance as I wanted. She hasn't backed away, cried, not even begged for her life. I couldn't understand why. Everyone prayed, begged on their knees for their life, but not her. She looked at me, her green eyes staring straight through my soul. It was disturbing, even painful. I clutched her hands against her body pressing it harder as I stepped toward her, but she remained there, in the same place, calm and serene. I haven’t felt the pleasure that I’d normally experience when confiscating anyone’s last breath. The sweet ecstasy covered me when I heard the desperate screams and I felt the power of a destroyer in my every single vein. In their last desperate fight they’d plunge their nails into my skin as I hammer the knife blade into their womb. And now, she stood there, looking at me blankly, almost without any emotion. It was frustrating. "Why?" - I growled. My hands quivered as I waited for an answer. I didn't like this change, not at all. I don’t kill out of anger. I want to satisfy my growing desire, of power, something that I was deprived of, as a child. If she doesn't satisfy my urge now, then more people will lose their lives.

"You think I'm not afraid?" - I whispered to the repulsive air. Earth beneath my feet was cold and a stale odor spread throughout the small pantry. We were surrounded by metal shelves and decaying shovels. For only one reason, I haven’t shown what I felt. I hated emotions. I have been hurt too many times to count. Life was too complicated for me; I wanted to end the pain… I longed for it. For emptiness, for death. And look again, fear. The feeling reminded me of the smell of poppies and iron. " I am scared, terrified. But I know that your knife offers salvation. If you drive it in me now, I'll never have to feel again. I want it. I yearn for it. "- I sighed wearily before I continued. I think the weight has increased. Sweat dripped from both our skins even in the frigid cold. "The desire ... another feeling. But I’m able to endure it if I get what I want. "- Permanent hiatus, I hoped.

I watched her lips while she was telling her last thoughts. It was so sensual when they uttered those painful words. But it was different for her; it distracted me from my aim. It made me weak, I hated it. In rage, I pushed her body up against the wall and pressed the knife into her stomach. She didn't exclaim, and kept looking at me, staring with those eyes. Icy sweat enveloped. We both saw death as the only way out. I breathed on her neck and watched the tingling on her skin. The beast in me growled, struggled and wanted to taste her blood. She suddenly took the knife and pressed it harder. "Take it!" “She whispered in my ear. And the whole world stopped. I lost the desire as something new, something unknown enveloped me. Roughly, I grabbed her neck and pulled her close taking her outside in the dark alley.

I don’t know what made me stand up and force my legs to take me out on the snowy night. The street was empty, just the night lamp gave away my presence. His ferocious growl filled the alley. We moved together closely, almost dancing in the pathway. I felt the warm blood on my feet as it dripped down. I savored the moment.

I saw her as she moved about in the cold wind. My hands were covered in blood, I could smell it now. Her grip on the knife tightened even more and I kept clutching her now-cold hands. In my life, I have grabbed the hands of many women, but I felt it for the first time today. We shared the joyous moment together. I buried my face in her long hair, it smelled of fruits and orchard, the purity of nature.

Blankness- it has finally arrived. He was opening his mouth and looked at me with those big dark eyes, but I did not understand anything. My senses were blurring now. I didn't see him. I've just ... watched. Everyone can look, but not see. Finally, I understood. I smiled. He looked at me puzzled, and then he smiled. He had a nice smile. I didn't have the strength to keep my eyes open. Slowly, I closed them, but the young man didn't want to leave me at peace. He shook me. Then he did something I would have never expected. He hugged me, tightly. This kind of hugs would only be shared between people who had known each other for a long time. As if we were lovers. I somehow managed to put my arms around him. Hot tears poured down my cheek and blackness enveloped me. I sank into a beloved void as the sounds of a distant cry filled me. I didn't know what made me stand up and forced my legs to take me out on the snowy night. The street was empty, just the night lamp gave away my presence. His ferocious growl filled the alley. We moved together closely, almost dancing in the pathway. I felt the warm blood on my feet as it dripped down. I savored the moment.

I saw her as she moved about in the cold wind. My hands were covered in blood, I could smell it now. Her grip on the knife tightened even more and I kept clutching her now cold hands. In my life I have grabbed the hands of many women, but I felt it for the first time today. We shared the joyous moment together. I buried my face in long hair, it smelled of fruits and orchard, the purity of nature.

Blankness, it has finally arrived. He was opening his mouth and looked at me with those big dark eyes, but I did not understand anything. My senses were blurring now. I didn't see him. I've just ... watched. Everyone can look, but not see. Finally, I understood. I smiled. He looked at me puzzled, and then he smiled. He had a nice smile. I didn't have the strength to keep my eyes open. Slowly, I closed them, but the young man didn't want to leave me at peace. He shook me. Then he did something I would have never expected. He hugged me, tightly. This kind of hugs would only be shared between people who had known each other for a long time. As if we were lovers. I somehow managed to put my arms around him. Hot tears poured down my cheek and blackness enveloped me. I sank into beloved void as the sounds of a distant cry filled me.

I watched her grow fainter by the second. The thought sunk into me. I have always been alone but this time I felt lonely. I kept saying “Don't go”. She'd leave me now. I panicked at the thought. Her eyes were closing. I shook her up. I wanted to relive the moment without the blood. It was too late now and in a desperate attempt to feel her I did the impossible, I hugged her. And memories came back of the lonely child whose bruised eye wept tears, only to be stopped by his mother’s embrace, the sweet love of it. It wasn't ecstasy, it was more. And as her heart stopped, I cried and screamed. I was tired and lost. I took the knife and plunged it into my heart. The pain was overwhelming as I knew I neared her once more. Finally somewhere in death I found love.


_________________________
Co-authored by
Carol
Edited by Ganga

If you had problem understanding the story, please note that the first paragraph is written from the view of the victim, the second one from the view of the killer and so on alternatively.

© 2013 Rév O'Conner


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

this is very good...a perfect setting for a gripping short story..but what is bothering me is the grammar and misspellings...please take of it...and your sentences could be more powerful than the present ones...it is a brave and a very good attempt..:)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ganga ramesh

11 Years Ago

fine shall try to:)
Rév O'Conner

11 Years Ago

Thanks!
ganga ramesh

11 Years Ago

welcome:)



Reviews

Woah.

I'm welling up just reading this.

This is a truly well crafted, emotive piece - not to mention completely original and brilliant! This is the definition of a forbidden romance. This, was pure excellence.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rév O'Conner

10 Years Ago

Thanks! :)
this is very good...a perfect setting for a gripping short story..but what is bothering me is the grammar and misspellings...please take of it...and your sentences could be more powerful than the present ones...it is a brave and a very good attempt..:)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ganga ramesh

11 Years Ago

fine shall try to:)
Rév O'Conner

11 Years Ago

Thanks!
ganga ramesh

11 Years Ago

welcome:)
You seem to capture both characters very well. Not an easy thing to do in a story like this.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rév O'Conner

11 Years Ago

Well thank you! It was written by us keeping in mind our (carol and me) own relationship of the hunt.. read more
Great story. I love the writing; however, there are two paragraphs repeated twice. I was not sure if it was done on purpose or not, so I skipped it and read the last.

Wanting to kill so bad, when she welcomed it. I've seen these done a lot, but the way you both described it had me on the edge of my seat wondering what will happen. I did not expect for him to kill himself although it makes sense as it was a turning point in his murderous rampage.



This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amaya Sullivan

11 Years Ago

"I saw her as she moved about in the cold wind..." paragraph was on there twice...

And .. read more
Rév O'Conner

11 Years Ago

yes
Amaya Sullivan

11 Years Ago

Okay... I see..

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

452 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 1, 2013
Last Updated on March 15, 2013
Tags: Murder, Emotion, Love, Short Story, serial killer, dark, victim, feelings, psychology, philosophy, life, death
Previous Versions

Author

Rév O'Conner
Rév O'Conner

India



About
-_- ZzzzZzz I'm sleeping so just read my stories! more..

Writing