Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Makayla

“The truth is rarely pure and never simple.” 

― Oscar Wilde



Light slowly shined through my window, reflecting off my black poster filled wall. My room smelt of strawberries, which was a change from the usual smell of nail polish and cigarettes that lingered in here. Maybe it was because it's the first day of school or the fact that my mom would be in tears by the time I got downstairs like she is every time I start at a new school but for some reason my motivation to get out of bed was shot. In attempt to flee the comforting grasp of my blanket, I rolled towards the edge of my bed. Typically I'm at a constant war between my balance and gravity and the odds were not in my favor. So I don't know what possessed me to try and challenge it by rolling as fast as I did towards the edge of my bed but to my surprise I was able to stop before I did a face plant on my hard maple wood floor. I sat up on the edge of my bed debating if I could get away with playing sick. Eventually I decided against it realizing my mom would probably want to play doctor and nurse me to health all day. As I go to stand up, I suddenly hit the ground, tripping over the blanket that I had tangled myself in after rolling on my bed, one point to gravity. 

                I scrambled off my floor and walked towards my mirror. It was blocked by my cluttered collection of hair products I barely used and piles of clothes that I conveniently forgot to put away. I pushed the clothes to a pile on the floor and attempted to arrange the clutter on my dresser. When the mess was finally sorted, I was able to see my mirror and my clock that I forgot was on my dresser. It was half past six, which meant there was only one and a half hours till I am officially a student at Holden High School. I live in a small city called Garder Hills on the outskirts of Toronto. Since it's such a small place there's only two high schools, Holden and the catholic school, St Michaels. Majority of the kids from my middle school are going to Holden, so high school won't be that big of a change except for the fact that there are two times as many people. That means more people to avoid and ignore. 

                Time was going by quick so I decided to finally get dressed. My wardrobe consisted of colorful skinny jeans, band shirts and sweaters to match. It was oddly warm for a September morning so I decided against wearing a sweater. I threw on my old Blink-182 shirt and a pair of ripped pink skinny jeans. I went back to my mirror to get a final look at myself. My hair was tangled, my dark curls falling all over the place. I quickly attempt to comb through my hair with my fingers but they immediately got stuck. 

                "Hunter, are you okay? Come downstairs, Honey." my mom pleaded with a whine in her voice.

                I gave up on my hair and went for my bag. I piled in my books, almost forgetting my Greek mythology one.  I had always been into mythology; it was the only thing Greek about me, besides my dark hair and my undying love for hummus.  I dragged myself down the stairs. My mom was waiting for me at the bottom; her eyes were already watering.

                “Sweetheart, you are so precious. “ Her sobs made it hard for her too talk. She turned to the table and sat down with my dad standing behind her like a mother bear behind her cub; guarded and strong.

                “Hunter, please sit.” He gestured to the empty chair across from my mom and him.

                “Is this some kind of intervention because I swear whatever drugs you found aren’t mine?” Their already concerned faces looked horrified.  Do I really look like I am on drugs? “I’m kidding, calm down.” Their faces noticeably relaxed.

                My dad started to speak. “Now Hunter, as you know your mother and I have been doing everything we can to make you get better but it’s been 2 years -“

                I cut him off. “Almost 2 years. Tomorrow, it will be 2 years.” My tone was stern but quiet. This was a topic that no one especially me, wanted to talk about. 

                “Yes, well your mother and I loved the Millers as much as you did but it’s time to move on don’t you think?” He paused and stared down at the ground when he continued. “A new family is moving in today. They have a daughter who’s going to Holden too. Maybe you guys could carpool and hangout at the mall.”

                My dad was completely oblivious to how teenage girls work but he was trying. Two years ago on September 5th my best friend and I guess you could call her my girlfriend, Jacklyn Miller killed herself. Her family lived next door and were really close to my family. They grew up together in Greece. She was the only friend I had. She lived in that house since we were in preschool. She was the only person I have ever loved. I never understood why she did it. She wouldn’t have done something like that without saying goodbye to me. There was a note that the police found but they refused to tell me what it said. She was the most perfect person I ever knew. Her long blonde hair glowed against her pale olive skin. Clearly the Greek genes skipped her, other than her accent you’d think she was from the valley. All the memories of us staying up on the phone with each other and laughing made my stomach cringe. I felt sick, I needed to escape.

                “I’m going out for a smoke, take your time to get to the car.” I grabbed my bag and practically ran out of the house; nearly collapsing trying to slow down.

                Outside my door stood a goddess and usually I don’t stare at women in public but she was breath taking. Her long, wavy turquoise hair flowed over her shoulder and draped down her back. She had skin like ivory and eyes greener then the rarest of emeralds. When she walked she glided gracefully and just slows enough so everyone could stop and stare. Her face was not only breath taking but familiar, almost comfortable; like I have known her forever. She must have noticed me staring because she started to walk towards me. My face started to turn red out of embarrassment because I had just been staring at her like I’m some kind of serial killer. She finally reaches me. The wind blew the scent of her perfume towards me. She smelt of papaya and passion fruit. It was a heavenly and comforting smell.

                “Hey, you must be a Baker, right?” her tone was calm but she had an accent that almost sounded Greek mixed with a bit of New York.

                She started to spark a cigarette before I had a chance to reply.

                “According to my birth certificate I am a Baker but you can just call me Hunter.” I tried to play it as cool as possible but it was hard not to notice the excitement and nervousness in my voice. She slowly inhaled a puff of her smoke before she turned and smiled to me with her perfect white teeth.

                “Hunter, I like it.” She let out a little laugh before she continued speaking. “I am Pandora Denner. It is a pleasure to meet you.” she stopped and stared at me for a moment. It was like she was openly checking me out.

                I was at a loss for words. I just stood and stared at her. I even forgot the reason I came outside was to have a smoke and to get away from people. Not to stand here a drool over my neighbour. Just as I was about to pull out my pack, my mom comes out.

                “That must be mama Baker.” She laughed

                I couldn’t help but laugh with her. “Yeah, I’m shocked she still not crying over me going to high school.”

                “Are you going to Holden too?”

                Her eyes sparkled when she spoke I could barely answer “Oh yeah, I’m a freshman there.”

                She gave another dazzling smile. “I am too.”

                Just as I was about to compliment her on her amazing Pink Floyd shirt, my mom came barging into the conversation. Pandora threw her smoke before she reached us.

                “Hello, I’m Samantha Baker. It is so nice to meet you.” She held out her hand for Pandora to shake with a huge creepy grin on her face.

                Pandora hesitantly shook her hand. “Hi, I am Pandora.”

                “Mom is it okay if I walk with Pandora to school?” I said trying to get her to leave before she embarrasses me.

                Her face was shocked like she never heard of me walking with another person before. She looked almost hurt. “Okay. Sure. It was nice to meet you Pandora.” She walked back to the house.

                “Shall we?” Pandora gestured to the sidewalk that leads to the school.

                We walked and spoke about music and Pandora’s life in New York. She was so fascinating. We never went in depth about our lives but it was nice to have another person to talk to. She moved here from a small town in New York. She lives with her aunt because her parents died in a car accident last year. She was part Greek which wasn’t uncommon here. A lot of the original settlers here were Greek. The town is even called Little Athens to some people.

                “So are you joining any clubs or teams at Holden?” She spoke with grace and looked at me anticipating my answer.

                “No I like to lay low in school. I keep to myself and mind my own business. That’s how you stay out of trouble.” I spoke low and hoped that she wouldn’t be freaked out by my answer.

                “That sounds "” She cut herself off.

                “That sounds what?” I was concerned about what she was going to say. Did she think I was some kind of depressed freak?

                “Well that sounds boring.” She tried not to sound offensive. “Life isn’t fun without a little trouble.”

                I stared at her, wondering how this perfect girl was speaking to a boring person like me; I couldn’t compare to her.

                “I was debating on joining the schools GSA.” She looked at me with a fearful look like I would judge her. How could someone like her be concerned about my opinion?

                “What’s GSA?” I said meekly; embarrassed that I had to ask.

                “Gay, Straight Alliance.” She laughed, amused by my small mindedness.

                  I never heard of that before but then again I have never been too big on school clubs. I never actually came out as gay. I never felt the need to announce to the world that I preferred doughnuts over hot dogs. I have never had to explain my sexuality before and now I have this dream of a woman in front of me; telling me her life story and implying that she too, might be gay. I was hesitant to ask her what part of the alliance she was.

                “Don’t worry, I’m not some creepy lesbian who will try to convert you.” She tried to play it cool but I could tell she was feeling insecure.

                I was just about to speak when we reached the school. It was a big brown brick building. It looked like a mental asylum from the outside. Kids were walking and talking everywhere. My anxiety shot through the roof.

                “Well I guess I better find my locker and classes but I will find you at lunch, okay?” She had a hopeful smile like she was asking me out for a date. “Also, not to make this sound weird, but you’re pretty cute for a straight girl.” She winked and then walked towards the front stairs.

                I was freaking out inside. She called me cute but there was one problem. She thinks I’m straight. I panicked and was unaware of what I was supposed do. She was already at the top of the stairs when I yelled out. “I’m not straight!”

Suddenly everyone’s eyes were on me. This was not how I expected my coming out to be like.

Pandora turned her head to me and smirked. “I could tell.” She winked and then kept walking and just like that she disappeared into the sea of kids gossiping about my new found lesbianism.

 



© 2013 Makayla


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very interesting, continue!!! Looking forward to read. The dialogue is very strong! Yeah!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Makayla

10 Years Ago

Thank you :) the next chapter is up now!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

307 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 24, 2013
Last Updated on June 24, 2013
Tags: pandora, greek, box, canada, lgbt


Author

Makayla
Makayla

Ontario, Canada



About
20 year old canadian writer more..

Writing