Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Makayla

The next day felt slower than the last. Everything was the same as yesterday. Math was torture, we watched a movie in Science, Ken made a homophobic comment in English and Mr. Murphy slept through study hall. Only thing that was different was that Pandora avoided me all day. She even skipped English because of me. In Drama all I could think about was her. The way her eyes, so innocent and pure turned cold and distant. Ironically, in Drama we are preforming Romeo and Juliet; a play about heartbroken lovers who eventually choose to rather die than be apart. That’s the story of my life. Well not entirely because the last thing I need is for people to think I’m suicidal. I was chosen to audition for the role of Juliet. Mr. Germen thought I had the perfect look for a love struck suicidal preteen and I wasn’t about to argue with him.

He called the names of who was auditioning next. “Baker, Smith, you’re up.”

I rose out of my seat and went to the front of the room. I stood with my head down staring at the brown dirt that covered my once pink flats from lunch yesterday.  It was another reminder of the magical time with Pandora that was now a distant memory. It doesn’t even feel real, if it weren’t for the mud on my shoes I wouldn’t believe it happened. So distracted by my shoes I didn’t realize that my Romeo was waiting for me. I looked up at this miraculous face. His face hugged his cheek bones as he smiled batting his blue eyes at me; his incredible height made me feel even more inferior to him. If I was straight I would be a nervous wreck right now and even though I’m gay I still was.

“Oh sorry.” I fumbled back on my heels. His hand shot out and caught me. My face immediately turned so red that I looked like the love child of a beet and a tomato. I quickly tried to balance back on my feet.

“Let’s just hope you don’t do that on stage.” He laughed and picked up his script.

“Trust me, if it were my choice I wouldn’t even be auditioning right now.”

“Hey, you never know, this might actually be fun.”

“Really, because right now I wish that I could shove a dagger through my chest.” I quickly stopped myself. I hope I didn’t freak him out with a suicide reference.

 “Be careful what you wish for.” He winked and then Mr. Germen started to give us stage directions.

There was that saying again. Except this time there was not ulterior meaning, it was just a saying. Suddenly there was a pain in my chest. Why would she say something like that? It was like she was purposely trying to mess with my head.

Mr. Germen’s voice echoed through the class. “Okay my little stars, lets test your chemistry and start off at Act 1 Scene 5 line 103. Romeo, go!”

The beautiful stranger stepped closer to me and put my hand in his and stroked his knuckles. “O, then, dear saint, let lips do what hands do; They pray " grant thou, lest faith turn to despair.”

I was indulged in his every word to the point where I forgot my line.

“Juliet, what are you waiting for?” Mr. Germen was irritated and restless.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” I cleared my throat. “Saints do not move, though grant for prayers' sake.” My body was shaking anticipating but fearing the stranger’s next line.

He stepped even closer; I could feel his warm breath on my forehead. He moved his free hand a slowly lifted it up to my cheek, gently stroking it as he spoke. “Then move not, while my prayer's effect I take.

When it happened I was shocked. His hand released mine and tilted my chin up. He shut his eyes as he planted his lips on mine. They were soft and gentle. His arms wrapped around my waist and the tension increased. Although he wasn’t my preferred gender, it was nice to feel the romance.

Mr. German stood up and started clapping. Romeo released me from his tender grasp and held my hand. We both bowed.

“I think I found my lovers.” Mr. German’s eyes were tearing up.

I looked up at my Romeo and whispered “I never got your name.”

“That’s because I never told you” He smirked

“Well, what should I call you then?” my voice was quiet like a shunned child, afraid of saying the wrong thing.

“You can call me Jake.” He chuckled and released my hand and returned to his seat.

The bell rang and everyone rushed to get out of school and get on with their after school plans. I was the last to leave the class. I walked to my locker with my headphones in blasting the anthem for misunderstood teenagers, Welcome to my life by Simple Plan. I reached my locker but it was crowded by people, who I assumed weren’t there for me. There were three guys, two were football player judging from their letterman jackets, one was dark skinned and one was Hispanic and the other guy I couldn’t see his face but he was about 6’2” and gorgeous from behind; he was the one blocking my locker. I stood a few lockers down and waited for them to leave. I decided to mute my music to eavesdrop so I could figure out what they had to talk about that was so important that they had to block my locker.

“I heard you kissed a lesbian, atta boy.” The dark skinned one ruffled the tall guys’ hair.

“Yo homes, are you her beard now?” the Hispanic guy laughed as he nudged his team mate.

I was hoping that they weren’t talking about me and that some other tall gorgeous guy kissed a lesbian today.

“It’s not that big of a deal guys. It wasn’t even that great of a kiss.” When the tall guy spoke I recognized his voice.

It was Jake.

I was mortified. In shock I dropped my bag. The noise echoed through the halls and the three guys turned to me. The football players laughed hysterically but Jake just stared at me. I was in too much horror to say a full sentence so I just meekly said “My locker.” And I pointed to behind Jake.

“I am so sorry. I didn’t know you were there.” He rushed over to help me pick up the stuff that fell out of my bag.

“I know.” I was embarrassed to talk to him. He just dissed me when I was right behind him.

“Look what I said, I didn’t mean it. I just didn’t want them to know I thought a lesbian was cute.”

“I’m cute?” I was still in shock and he wasn’t helping.

“Yes you are, and you’re a great kisser.” He laughed under his breath. He was nervous.

I attempted to speak in full sentences before I started to sound illiterate. “Well then, but you do know I’m a lesbian, right?” that was a stupid question considering he mentioned that at least twice in this conversation.

“Yes, I know.” He laughed. “But that doesn’t mean we can’t be friends.” He stood up and held out his hand to help me up. I hesitantly grabbed it and hopped onto my feet. “Just think of me as your new straight best friend, like how straight girls have a gay best friend except you’re a lesbian.” He chuckled and picked up my bag.

“I guess that’s better than you being my beard.”



© 2013 Makayla


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
Added on July 18, 2013
Last Updated on July 18, 2013
Tags: pandora, greek, box, canada, lgbt, crime


Author

Makayla
Makayla

Ontario, Canada



About
20 year old canadian writer more..

Writing