Group Therapy

Group Therapy

A Screenplay by ohyesjeff
"

Beginning of a play

"

Group Therapy

Characters:

Dr. Tessler: middle-aged woman; psychologist/therapist; single

Jeremy: middle aged husband; has a wife and two young daughters

Brad: youngest of the group; newlywed

Scott: middle aged; has two daughters and a wife

David: divorced

Johnny: David’s friend; single

 

[Curtains rise to a well-lit room. The group is spread out in a circle in Dr. Tessler’s office.]

Dr. Tessler. We all know why we’re here today. Why don’t we go around the circle and introduce ourselves. Will you start us off, please?

Scott. Sure. My name is Scott D*****. I work at -

Dr. Tessler. Stop. Let me pause you there, Scott. Let’s only talk about our home life and relationships. Okay -

(Dr. Tessler points her pen to Scott and nods, without looking up from her note-pad)

Scott. My name is Scott. My wife and I have two beautiful daughters; fifteen and twelve. We get along great - my daughters and I. We spend lots of time together; I take them to soccer and softball practice, I go to all of their games -

(Scott takes a deep breath, closes his eyes, and faintly shakes his head)

Scott. Why I’m here is because I’m afraid my wife is going to divorce me. She -

Dr. Tessler. That was good, thank you for sharing!

(Dr. Tessler looks to Jeremy to share. Scott has a confused look on his face)

Jeremy. Jeremy. My wife says she will run away with her ‘boyfriend’ if I don’t go to therapy - something about not being able to connect to her or some crap. How long are we here for, exactly? 

(Dr. Tessler glares at Jeremy as the rest of the group glances around the room, idly. Awkward silence.)

Dr. Tessler. Well let’s hope she sticks to her word. We started at about 3 o’clock; therefore, we have another two hours together. Please, make yourself comfortable.

(Dr. Tessler gives Jeremy an exaggerated smile and abruptly turns to David)

David. My name’s Dave T********. I’m forty-five years young, and I’ve been divorced for three years. I can’t really complain about anything.

(He looks at a very stern Johnny, and adjusts himself in his seat)

David. I guess the reason I’m here today is because I wouldn’t mind finding someone to settle down with. I guess I miss having someone to share things with, you know?

(He turns again to Johnny, who nods)

David. I wasn’t ready when she left.

(Dr. Tessler turns back and forth to Johnny and David)

Dr. Tessler. I’m assuming you two know each other?

Johnny. Yes. I promised Dave I would come with him if he would cry in front of a therapist instead of me for once.

David. I NEVER CR-

(Dr. Tessler dismisses David without taking her eyes off of Johnny)

Dr. Tessler. And your name is?

Johnny. Johnny.

Dr. Tessler. Okay - and you don’t have anything to share with us? Because I don’t normally allow -

Johnny. Dave needs me here. Without me, right now he would be laying on his couch, balling his eyes out to Jerry Maguire. Listen - it’s not like I’m going to repeat anything I hear in here; everything said will go in one ear and out the other, I promise. You guys can do your thing and I’ll just sit back and watch a fine woman at work.

(Dr. Tessler quickly looks down at her note-pad and pretends she didn’t hear Johnny’s compliment. She blushes and pretends to write down notes for the next few minutes)

Dr. Tessler. Next, please.    

Brad. Uhh, ha-ha…

(Brad smiles and looks around the room for validation, then clears his throat and adjusts himself in his seat when denied it)

Brad. Hi, I’m Brad J******. My wife, Kerry, and I got married eight months ago. It’s honestly been great; we’re closer than we were when we first got married. We just bought a new house, we never fight, both of our careers are going well, both of us still have social lives -

(Brad realizes he has lost the attention of everyone, even Dr. Tessler)

Brad. The only real problem, per-se, is - we’re having trouble getting pregnant.

(Brad finally wins the attention of the group)

Brad. We’re having trouble getting her pregnant, I mean. And it’s not that it’s a big deal; I mean, a lot of couples have the same problem, right? It’s just that - I feel like she blames me.

(Brad looks to Dr. Tessler for her reaction, but she is busy looking back and forth between the doodles on her note-pad and Johnny. She does so through the roof of her eye glasses, yet she is still blatantly obvious. The group waits for her to act)

Jeremy. I’m going to go outside to have a cigarette, if that’s okay with you.

(Jeremy begins to stand and put on his coat before receiving approval from Dr. Tessler. She snaps out of her trance)

Dr. Tessler. That’s fine. As a matter of fact, let’s all take a ten-minute break. We’ll meet back here at a quarter to four.

[The light fades out. Jeremy and Brad are standing outside a side door of the building.]

Brad. So, what do you think of this thing?

(Jeremy takes a long drag from his cigarette before turning around to acknowledge Brad)

Jeremy. I think it’s all bullshit. Like I said, I’m just in here to make the wife happy. I’ll be damned if I’m forced to eat one more microwave dinner.

Brad. Ha-ha, I hear you, man…Jeremy, right?

Jeremy. Right.

(Jeremy stomps out his cigarette and pulls out a new one. He signals to Brad)

Brad. No, thanks, I don’t smoke.

Jeremy. Sure.

Brad. So, umm, do you have any kids?

Jeremy. Two girls - one’s ten and the other’s seven.

Brad. Oh wow, that’s great! What are their names?

Jeremy. Kayla and Kristen. I wanted a boy, but yeah, I guess someone would think anything was great if they couldn’t knock up their own wife.

Brad. Well we’ve only been -

Jeremy. Sorry; didn’t mean it like that. I’m mad about something else.

Brad. None taken, I understand. Wow, that’s funny; my wife loves the names Kayla and Kristen. She says they’re cute and easy to remember.

(Jeremy looks over Brad for a moment)

Jeremy. So what’s the problem; you have a low sperm count or something?

Brad. I don’t think so -

Jeremy. Is she really old or something?

Brad. She’s not old, but she’s a bit older than me - she’s forty.

(Jeremy smiles for the first time)

Jeremy. Damn, looks like you landed yourself a cougar. My wife is forty too, but so am I.

Brad. Ha-ha…I mean, we haven’t seen a doctor yet. This is the first time I’ve talked to anyone about it. What do you think I should do?

Jeremy. I think you should tell - what’s her name?

Brad. Julie.

Jeremy. Huh, that’s my wife’s name...

(A cell phone starts to ring)

Brad. Excuse me for a second.

(Jeremy listens, interested)

Brad. Hey honey! No, I won’t be home until about six because I’m at a work meeting. Jules, I know that, but I can’t just blow off my boss - we can go out another night.

(Jeremy pulls out his phone and starts to call his wife)

Brad. Well, we’re just going to have to cancel it, aren’t we?

(The tone is busy for Jeremy)

Brad. I have to go before my boss throws a fit. See you later - bye.

(Jeremy calls again)

Jeremy. Hey, Jules? I tried calling before, but the tone was busy. Oh…okay. Are you still going out tonight with your girlfriend? Huh, what a shame.

(Jeremy stares at Brad, who isn’t paying attention)

Jeremy. Who did you say you were talking to before? Oh, right - no, nothing, I was just distracted. Alright, I’ll see you at home - bye.

Brad. I’m going back inside; I’ll see you in there.

[Jeremy stays to smoke another cigarette. He stares at the ground in deep thought. Lights fade out.]

© 2011 ohyesjeff


Author's Note

ohyesjeff
Thanks!

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Reviews

now this one.....i think it`s ur best so far....i laughed at this part.....Jeremy. So what’s the problem; you have a low sperm count or something?

Brad. I don’t think so -

Jeremy. Is she really old or something?

Brad. She’s not old, but she’s a bit older than me - she’s forty.

(Jeremy smiles for the first time)

Jeremy. Damn, looks like you landed yourself a cougar. My wife is forty too, but so am I.

Brad. Ha-ha…I mean, we haven’t seen a doctor yet. This is the first time I’ve talked to anyone about it. What do you think I should do?.......i laughed so much...keep it up.
Natty

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
1 Review
Added on December 23, 2011
Last Updated on December 23, 2011
Tags: group therapy

Author

ohyesjeff
ohyesjeff

NY



About
Jeff. 21. College student. more..

Writing
Lydia & Johnson Lydia & Johnson

A Screenplay by ohyesjeff