Caught In a Web of Consumption

Caught In a Web of Consumption

A Story by omanobservations
"

The consumption habits of these larvae are comparable to our own.

"

Not long ago, I believed the massive web formations I saw in trees were the making of some industrious spider. As time passed and I learned a little more about the natural world, I knew spiders around here were not responsible for such feats. Eventually, I got to see the true manufacturers of the awe-inducing clouds of silk.

They are named Hyphantria cunea, or fall webworms. These native caterpillars metamorphose into modest white moths, touting furry manes and the occasional peppering of black spots. There are two generations of moths per season. Once the overwintered eggs hatch, the larvae immediately get to work on constructing silk nests with the goal of enshrouding nearby foliage.

After the leaves have been bundled like a mummy, the caterpillars begin to feast. Their insatiable appetites leave little room for fickleness. They will gladly skeletonize the leaves of a wide variety of tree species. As their demand for more food increases, so do the borders of their threadlike nests. By autumn, the second generation of caterpillars have helped the nests reach their peak size; easily dominating an entire branch of leaves.

bwwrom2.jpg

The consumption habits of these larvae are comparable to our own. Humans inhabit a metaphorical and cultural web of consumerism. Money is the material used to spin it. The leaves are our possessions, some are necessary, most are not. The more moments of our waking lives we can devote to spinning our webs, the more leaves we can reach and devour with the hope of fulfilling our desires.

There is always one leaf in the distance, gently blowing in the wind. It appears greater, greener, than the rest. And it lies just out of our reach. The thought, ‘If I could just reach that leaf, I would finally feel satisfied’ motivates us to spin harder and faster toward temptation, in spite of the devastation we leave in our wake. Arriving at the leaf only reveals more on the horizon.

The fall webworms consume just what is necessary for them to grow and transform. They are guided by instinct, not greed. The tree they occupy is left unharmed by their hunger. Their own bodies serve as food for numerous predators and parasites. There is harmony among the chaos of web and worms. This is one notable difference between their web and ours.

Our sticky network provides us with a sense of comfort, community, and success. To some degree, we all must walk upon, interact with, and contribute to it. Many will become critically entangled, victims of their own gluttony. Fortunately, the positive feelings we seek are not inseparable from this wicked web. Although we need a few leaves to survive, it is important that we learn to find contentment where we stand, spend our time enjoying the taste, the view, the slow journey to the next leaf, and knowing to stop when we feel full.

© 2021 omanobservations


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

25 Views
Added on January 29, 2021
Last Updated on January 29, 2021
Tags: caterpillars, consumption, consumerism, satisfaction

Author

omanobservations
omanobservations

Findlay, OH



About
Nature Photographer and artist from Ohio. I have a passion for finding meaning and metaphor in the mundane. more..

Writing