Seeing the Light

Seeing the Light

A Story by omanobservations
"

Through the lens of my camera, the exit sign morphed into a single flaming red dot.

"

Walking home late one evening, a glowing red ‘EXIT’ sign grabbed my attention. I could see it clearly through the window of a maintenance building. I had noticed it plenty of times before, but this time the blue sky and diminishing light outside complimented it very well. A barbed wire fence surrounding the building added to the ominousness of the setting. So, I unzipped my camera from its case.

light.jpg

When I stop to observe an interesting or unusual scene, thoughts quickly begin to arise. Photography requires focus and attention to detail, which allows time for these thoughts to expand and linger like a dense fog swirling in my mind. I delight in entertaining them, in drawing parallels between these free-flowing concepts and my photos. By the time I walk away, my head is swimming in meaning and metaphor, derived from what may be considered mundane.

Although these thoughts are not grand revelations, they are still worthy of deep contemplation. The resulting understandings strengthen my feeling of connectedness to my surroundings and humanity. I begin to recognize recurring patterns and underlying values. If one is sensitive and receptive enough, there are lessons to be learned from it all.

Through the lens of my camera, the exit sign morphed into a single flaming red dot, suspended behind the window of the cold, imposing shelter. It loosely resembled a fire in a cave. In some ways technology has replaced fire. The imaginations of early hominids were once stimulated and entertained by flickering flames and the dancing shadows they would cast upon the cave wall. Stories were told, relationships fostered.

Today, a more “advanced” people gather around the screens in their living spaces, often in solitude. The shadows have been replaced by digital animations and accurate portrayals of stories, complete with sound. Imaginations are more easily smothered instead of kindled. There is no warmth emitted from the artificial light.

Like the barbed wire encircling the building, technology can create a nearly impenetrable barrier between us and a more wholesome relationship- with nature, with others, and with ourselves. Just as the glowing sign gave the illusion of fire, technology may appear gratifying, but at what cost? Bearing in mind these thoughts, the camera suddenly felt awkward in my hands. The images contained within had lost some of their appeal. They do not compare to the reality.

© 2021 omanobservations


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

33 Views
Added on January 29, 2021
Last Updated on January 29, 2021
Tags: light, technology, history, life

Author

omanobservations
omanobservations

Findlay, OH



About
Nature Photographer and artist from Ohio. I have a passion for finding meaning and metaphor in the mundane. more..

Writing