Reapers Tale

Reapers Tale

A Story by originalazrael
"

A small insight behind the Grim Reapers life.

"
This is where the accident occurs. Bang. Three people dead because he decided to drink more then he should. He was the only one with the license, and the only one to survive. His passengers weren't so lucky. Not even the sober one. Guess she should have spoken up more. Don't worry, he'll get his punishment. He will kill more passengers in two other accidents, and yet he survives them all. His father is a great lawyer, but there's only so much he can do to protect his son. Yeah, his punishment will come soon too. In a years time, the third trial will send the boy to a prison cell for a 10 year sentence. He was a great actor for the judge. However, acting doesn't work as well in a prison cell, and 6 months in, he will be left to die in the prison bathrooms, showers running, bleeding from a wound just below his heart. Then he will be punished.

As for the here and now, I must send his first three victims to Judgement. They look at me in both fear and awe. One of them, the male, is angry. "Why are we dead, and he isn't? This isn't fair!" Oh how many times I've heard that. "Can't you reap him too?" Ah yes. The tales told of me, The Grim Reaper. With Scythe in hand and black robes, I swing my weapon, taking the lives of many. I remember a time when my job description was the same on the mortal plane as it was in the spiritual.

"I assure you, mortals, whatever you know about me, is wrong. I am not some demon in a cloak. This scythe is purely for show. All I do is take your souls to Judgement. You die on your own accord. I cannot pull a soul from a body before the body dies. I cannot just kill someone, nor put them back into their body when I desire. All I do is send you to Judgement. That is all."
"Judgement?" The other girl. She decided it was okay to give a drunk head while he is driving. She was partly to blame for this. Her punishment will be just as bad.
"Judgement is neither Heaven, nor Hell. It is very similar to Purgatory. There is nothing there. It is a gateway to your Punishment or your Reward."
"Punishment?" That girl again. The other girl remained as quiet in death as she did in life. But she will be rewarded. Sigh. The usual spiel. I should be used to this by now.
"For those who lived a good life, they will be rewarded, and sent to Heaven. Those that lived a bad life, go to Hell. If you lived a bad life, but wish to go to Heaven, you must redeem yourself in Hell. By proving your worth to an Angel in Hell, you will be granted your chance." Success rate Zero. "But that all depends on your mortal sins and whatnot. Any more questions?" They were silent. Normally, people ask why there are Angels in Hell, or if they can stay on Earth, or just questioning their faith. Sometimes they just try to run. Amusing at times, but for someone who's been dead for a few minutes can never outrun someone who's been dead as long as I have. Not that running is even involved in catching them.

I whisper the incantation that I've cast so many times. The flash of light. The fading of their souls. I know they will be teleported to Judgement. Confronted with a long line of recently deceased waiting to get to the front of the line. Standing in front of the mahogany desk. Calling out their name. Told to enter the mysterious dark door on either the left or the right. Not knowing whether they are going to Heaven or Hell until the door closes behind them.

I've been through that door before. I remember where I went. I remember waiting in line. Sometimes I can remember parts of my life. I can't remember how I died. I can't remember my family, though some souls seemed to remember me from their lives. I feel blessed that I can remember nothing. I know how I got here, though. Something I make sure never to forget. I only hope Gabrielle forgives me one of these days.

© 2011 originalazrael


Author's Note

originalazrael
Please be as harsh as you want. I take on all critique in much the same way as I do compliments. This is my first piece, so anything I can learn about my writing would be helpful. Also, please let me know about any and all spelling/grammar mistakes.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Absolutely lovely. :) I like the way this went. I know the whole Grim Reaper thing has been done before, but I think you did it quite well. It could have had a little more detail, but that's the only real complaint I have, to be honest. Again, very nice. Short, sweet, to the point, and all that...

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love your writes and i love to see more, actually this gave me an inspiratiojn to write a story, i'll let you know on this and hopefully you'll read it. (= LOOOL.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Absolutely lovely. :) I like the way this went. I know the whole Grim Reaper thing has been done before, but I think you did it quite well. It could have had a little more detail, but that's the only real complaint I have, to be honest. Again, very nice. Short, sweet, to the point, and all that...

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very nice, I liked the ending, the only thing I might suggest it perhaps fleshing out a little more, give just a tad more description, pull on all five senses so it's easier for the reader to envision. Other then that I liked it a lot :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

304 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 21, 2011
Last Updated on May 21, 2011

Author

originalazrael
originalazrael

Perth, Australia



About
I used to skip English in school because it meant writing essays. Now I want to be an author. Funny how the irony bites you in the a*s. So I have signed on to this website, so that I may improve.. more..

Writing