Neo-Spartan  Vol 1: New Year’s Resolution

Neo-Spartan Vol 1: New Year’s Resolution

A Story by Rory Simpson

Neo-Spartan

Vol 1: New Year’s Resolution

By Rory Simpson

 

Chapter 1: New Year’s Resolutions

 

When you ask people about the sort of things that might happen in the future, what kind of answers do you get? Cars flying on solar power energy, food that no longer fattens you up, all cancers and diseases to be completely wiped out, or how about world peace? While the first three have been achieved, humanity has always struggled with the last one. The reason I am saying this is because what I am about to tell you are events that may one day happen. However, to understand why I am explaining you all this, I will need to start at the end of the 23rd century. The hero of this story is Nick Adams, and this is a story where an everyday teenager like him can change the world for the best...and for the worst.

 

Ever Since the grand war ended in 2275, much of civilization has been desperate to try and rebuild the world. However political, economic, and financial matters have made the various countries fend for themselves. The EU had fallen, giving each of the nation under its control to be free to do as they pleased. America’s two political parties, The Republican’s, and The Democrats, had engaged in a large-scale civil war which ended with the two dividing the nation into an eastern and western Bloc. The Democratic States of America, who occupies the west, believes in a society where anyone, regardless of race, religion, or foreign background, is equal and share the same rights. The Republican States of America believes that the only people who have the right vote in their county should only be the rich, Christian, or from someone who has American parents on both sides of the family 

 

For two years now, the world has been under attack by the Black Death, led by their sadistic leader, Thanatos, and his robot army. Thanatos is considered the most dangerous terrorist of the 23rd century. More than 25 million people have died in the last two years because of him. He handled causing the destruction of many famous historical landmarks, the assassination of the Pope Lenard III, and even killed everyone at the 2294 Stockholm World Cup with white phosphorus. To this day, no one has been to uncover his identity or his motive for why him and his forces commit these atrocities.

 

January 1st, 2295, 00:20 - Biggleswade, UK

 

You are asking yourselves, “Where does Nick fit into this story?” Well, I will tell you. 

It all started in his hometown of Biggleswade located in the East-Anglian region of the United Kingdom. On January 1st, 2295, it was New Year’s Day, the fireworks banged loudly in the sky, the people below were welcoming the new year with glee and delight and did not seem to care what was in store for them for the next 365 days.

At the time Nick was 15 years old, having neck length blood red hair, and still living with his parents, David, a former security guard from Scotland and Sarah, a nurse from the local hospital.

But sadly, they will not be able to be in this story for much longer.

 

The minute New Year’s Day had ended; everyone had to return to their homes. The night was dark, the streets were quiet, the snow was light but never-ending and the only sound made after the fireworks had died down were the sound of their footsteps crunching against the snow. David suggested that they should take a shortcut through the back alleys; this was the one place no one would want to walk through on a dark night. The alley was dark, miserable, smelled of piss and looked a place where you would get attacked.

 

To get his mind off the alley Nick asked my parents if the made any New Year’s Resolutions.

David and Sarah looked at each other with an awkward look on in their faces like he was about to tell him something important but do not know the right way to say it, and David said. “Nick for the last 15 years we’ve been proud to call you our son.”

Sarah then spoke to her son “But we feel like it’s about time you should know something about yourself” This was weird for his parents to act this way.

But was curious to know what they both had to say.

“Okay” Nick eagerly asked, “what is it about me that you have to say?”

 

“Well…” Said David very nervously “the truth is… we’re……...”

But before he can finish what he had to say, he fell to the ground as a bullet went through his torso. Nick and Sarah could not believe what they had just saw. Their faces looked shocked, unable to say anything as David died instantly from the gunshot wound. But as they looked up to see who had fired the gun, they saw a Black Death shock trooper. One of the robotic grunt units used many for assaults and suicide bombing.

 

“Thanatos sends his regards.” those were the only words the robot said before firing another bullet through Sarah’s forehead.

 

Shocked by what he had seen, Nick tried to say something, but he just could not after what he had had just seen. And could only fall to his knees as his eyes watered with tears.

The solider approached him with a gun still in its hands and pointed it to Nicks Forehead. Nick looked at him raw with emotion and told him. “If you’re going to kill me, THEN F*****G DO IT!!!” bellowing from the bottom of for lungs.

But the robot lowered his gun slowly. “No, you’re not worth a bullet in your current state. Thanatos wants you ready Nick, until then, sort yourself out” those were his only words to Nick before putting the gun to its own head and fell to the ground, no longer functional.

 

Nick fall to his knees, filled with emotions of both anger and sorrow. But mostly anger. Then he heard his father still breathing, although it seemed he did not have much time left. He reached out to his son, with coughing out blood. "Ni..Nick."

Nick quickly got up and ran to his father. "Dad!" Nick was relieved to see that his dad was alive, but he panicked as to what to do next. "I don't what to do! I will get help! The hospitals not far from..."

David interrupted him. "Nick...That bullet went through...my Lung. I do not have much...much...time. So, listen to me, son. Go to...London, and find William, your uncle. He will take...Care of you now." David reaches into his left side coat pocket and hand him his wallet, and places it into Nick's hands. "Take this. There's...enough money to get you to London and to reach your uncles place." Nick...No matter no happen, I know...you'll do me and your mother proud." David gave out his last breath, before dying from the gunshot wound to his lungs.

 

Nick watched as his father died right in front on him. At first, he could not accept it and tried to resuscitate his heart. He placed his hand on where his heart is and pressed down several times. "Breath, Dad! Breath! F*****g Breath!" He tried for 2 more minutes, but he finally accepted that he was dead. Nick looked at the wallet that David had given and looked inside. Inside the wallet a Midas Industries card. This acts as a blank cheque to those loyal to Midas and will help him access Billionaire's Road. The wallet also held a photo of himself when he worked as a security guard in Africa, and another photo of him, Sarah, and Nick on their holiday in Edinburgh.

Nick placed the wallet in the right side of his Jacket and stood up. But before heading to the station, Nick said his final goodbyes to Sarah and David and thanked them for always caring for him. "Mum, Dad, I promise you, before this year ends, I will avenge the both of you. That’s my New Year's Resolutions"

With vengeance in his heart, he set out for London without hesitation. Not before stomping on the dead robot's face.

 

Nick made it to the train station where he bought a ticket with the money obtained from his parents. With a ticket to London kings cross in his hand, Nick went to platform 1 which would lead to Kings Cross Station. Unfortunately, because of the Black Death, the trains are less frequent. Not to mention the snow, meant the trains would be delayed often. The next train arrived after a 16-minute delay. As Nick stepped on the train, he took one last look at the town, because he knew that he would not live here again. Nick sat down in a four seated area and pulled out his phone out of the right pocket of his jacket and contacted his uncle, William Stenhouse. It is was difficult to get a call from him at first, due to it being the new year with everyone contacting their friends and family.

 

Finally, William answered the phone in one hand and a party blower in the other. “Happy New Year!” he said with a joyous tone in his voice as he blew the party blower.

Nick replied in an unexcited tone “Not for me it isn’t.”

“Nick? Good to hear from you. How are David and Sarah doing?”

And without hesitating “They’re dead.”

After a 5-8 second pause, William replied 

“What!?” with a tone of shock to his voice. “What… what happened?”

Nick then explained everything to William in detail.

“That B*****d!” said William with anger. ‘Nick, when will you arrive in London?”

“I'm already on the train to London, should be an hour or two.

“You know my Address?”

“Yes, it’s 44 Billionaires Road. Password to the gate is Shefford.”

“Good that you remembered. I will have an auto-cab pick you up from the station.”

“Ok. I’ll let you know when I reached London” Nick replied.

“Oh Nick, I’d almost forgotten.” William asked, before Nick could hang up. “have you made a New Year's Resolution yet?

Nick hung up the phone with nothing else to say to him.

His New Year’s Resolution was already clear to him.

 

After the train stopped at Alshey and Hitchin, (whilst picking up more passengers along the way each making the train feel fuller) the next stop was Stevenage Station.

As the train doors opened three people were arguing when they got on the same cart Nick was on.

One was a tall guy with dark skin, wearing a grey leather jacket and jeans and was quite muscular.

The other two who were both Asian looking; one is a teenage girl with waist long purple hair, a green winter coat with Chinese symbols on it, Denim trousers, and red boots. While the other was a woman who seemed to be in her mid-thirty’s, with her purple hair tied back and mostly wearing grey winter clothing.

As they boarded, they started talking.

“I don’t know why you’re going back to your ex-boyfriend, Ann? I mean, he’s not exactly boyfriend of the year.” asked the older woman

“Well…” Replied Ann “he said he has a home in London, which is what we needed to get away from Richard. And besides, he might have changed since then. What do you think, James”?

“James responded "I won’t hold my breath”

 

As the train left Stevenage, James came up to Nick carrying two leather suitcases. " Excuse me. Can you spare any seats, because everywhere else is full”?

“Sure.” Said Nick, generously.

“Thank you so much,” answered James with smile.

James, Ann, and her mother sat down on the seats in front of Nick and thanked him for his offering the seats.

Nick decided to start a conversation between them.

“Are you heading to London as well”?

“Yeah, it’s to get away from those attacks from the Black Death lately.” said Ann carefully thinking of what she was saying.

“Stevenage isn’t as safe as it once was.” replied James.

“I know the feeling.” Nick said with a faint look of sorrow on his face.

 

“What’s your name?” asked James.

“Nick Adams” replied while offering his hand out.

James shook his hand

“Pleases to meet you Nick. My name is James Hunter, and this is my younger sister Ann”

“Hi there,” replied Ann.

“Nice to meet you”

Nick shook her hand.

Ann introduced her mother to Nick “This is my mother, Mei Shang.”

“Hello” said Nick

"Hello to you as well" replied Mei

 

At that point on, the four of them started talking about their reasons for why they were going to London. Of course, Nick did not want to tell them the real reason he is going, so he said that he lived in London and was returning from a friends New Year’s party.

(At least that bit about the party was true). Ann shared their reason for going by telling him, that they were going to live with her ex-boyfriend.

 

As darkness approached, the four of them knew our arrival to London would not be for an hour.

Before Nick closed his eyes, he said goodnight to Ann, James and Mei as well as wishing them the best of luck in London.

The three did the same and wished him the best of luck as well.

 

As Nick closed his eyes, He returned to Biggleswade, but everything felt odd. The town felt twisted, dark, and cruel, plus the snow had stopped in place like a German Expressionist film.

Nick cautiously walked around to see if there was anyone who would help him know what was going on. He looks to his left and saw David and Sarah walking to the same alleyway where they were both shot. Knowing what was going to happen; Nick made a desperate run to them and yelled out, telling them both not to go that way.

 

Nicks feet started to get heavier and heavier with each step taken, but

unfortunately, as he made it to the alley, the bodies of his parents were lying dead in a pool of blood with gunshot wounds scattered all over them like flies attracted to a flickering light bulb.

Terrified, he came to an immediate halt and then knew from that moment that Nick had to get away from here.

Suddenly there was a click from the sound of a gun being loaded from behind, and then felt it being pointed at his head.

“Thanatos sends his regards” said the killer and fired his gun.

 

January 1st, 2295, 02:37, Kings Cross Station, UK

 

Nick woke up with a violent start. When he opened his eyes, the train conductor was telling him that the train had reached Kings Cross station 7 minutes ago. Knowing that Ann, James, and Mei had already left the train, Nick got up and did the same. Walking out of the cart, there was an ungodly long queue to get through the ticket barriers. From where he was standing to the ticket barrier, the queue felt like it was going to take about 30-40 minutes.

He realised how lucky he was, because minutes later, another train arrived with even more people on it. As the ticket barrier was getting closer, He noticed guards armed with heavy armour, assault rifles and attack robots. Judging from the logo on the side of their armour, these soldiers were from the Xerxes Force, which was a PMC (Private military Cooperation) who were being hired by the Emperor, as added security.

Even though the people were told to keep in an orderly fashion, some were trying to sneak past the guards with false tickets and I.D cards but not before being caught, arrested, and being kicked violently by the guards who seemed to be enjoying it a bit too much.  

 

When it was Nick’s turn to go through the scanner, he placed all his metal items in the tray which were his house key, a wallet containing his money and cards, and his jacket. When he went through the metal detector, it did not go off, meaning he was all clear. Next, he had to show his I.D to the security guard, which they scanned, and the guard said Nick could pass, when giving his card back to him. When leaving the station, more people were meeting up with their families and friends, which made him miss his parents even more. Looking around the station Nick saw Ann, Mei, and James meeting up with her ex-boyfriend. While Ann hugged him, Mei had a look of distrust in her eyes. Whatever the case, Nick hoped that they would stay safe.

 

After exiting kings’ cross station, Nick saw that London was not what he was expecting from all the video’s that he watched on TV (and by that, he had never been to the capital city before). London to him should have been like a utopia, but instead it looked like a nightmare. Everywhere he looked; there was constant surveillance, armed soldiers, and security checkpoints. Nick knew then that he had to get to his uncle’s house urgently. In the taxi rank outside the station, he noticed an Auto-taxi with his name written on the side of it. Nick knew that his uncle had sent this cab to pick Nick up. Nick entered the cab from the right side and put his seatbelt on.

“Are you Mr Nicolas Adams, Sir?” asked the auto-taxi’s onboard computer.

“I am.” Nick replied.                            

“One moment please. I need to verify your identification. Hold still please.”

A long cable appeared from the celling of the car. Nick looked a little uneasy when I made it way to him. “Please remain calm, sir.” The computer said “I need a retinal scan to confirm your I.D.” The retinal scanner cable scanned Nicks right eye. After 3 seconds of scanning, the cable retracted back to the celling. “Identification confirmed. Now on route to customers location. 44 billionaire's Rd.”

 

The taxi began to move. While in the vehicle, Nick decided to check the map, on the computer, to get a sense of what to expect from London. It was from there that he noticed that London was divided into 3 districts: 

The first was the Slum-district; built on the old remains of the Tower Hamlets. This is one place you would not want to be, either by day or by night. It was designed as a Giant prison where the prisoners can do anything they want if they do not try to escape. People do what they can to survive, and where they take the law in their own hands. Reports say that people from the slums often sneak into the other districts and try to steal food and equipment.

The second was the Civil district; this is a much safer place to live. It has everything the Môn dean person needs. shops, cafes, homes, schools, places of worship, even some of London's famous tourist attractions. The people here are much friendlier than the people from the slums. Just do not say any terrorist’s jokes, because you would get arrested for that, even if you say it was just a joke.

The last was the Royal district; if you want to live here, good luck! It is a place that only the rich and powerful can afford a place here.

It also home to a military base run by Midas & Xerxes.

This is where Nick’s uncle lives, and where He will be living for the rest of the year.

Each district is separated by a wall, with the Xerxes guards making sure only the right social class are in their respective districts. And if anyone tries to climb over the wall, they are shot-on-sight. However, the Slum-district walls were more guarded. And people from the Civil-district are allowed enter the royal-district if they got I.D on them and permission to access the place.

 

Nick looked out the window and saw more unpleasantness. A block of mega-flats being raided by more Xerxes soldiers, illegal immigrants that were beaten up and thrown into buses ready to be deport back to their home countries, all while pleading not to be taken home. One man tried to fight against the soldier with a gun, but he was gunned down. As he fell to the ground, the sounds of his wife and son screaming could be heard. It felt too like what Nick had experienced earlier. Then a soldier came up and spat on the dead man’s face, all while calling the man a lowlife.

 

Nick decided to look up the London news on the computer, so He could get a better understanding of the situation.

“This is EMD (Entertainment Media Direct) early Morning News. With your host, Leslie Moore.”

The headlines Were then read out by an attractive 20 something woman wearing a smart dress and coated in makeup. the sort of thing that attracts young males to watch the news, even if they do not care about the headlines. “Good Morning to our viewers. In today’s headlines: Attacks from the Terrorists group, The Black Death. have continued to increase in the past few weeks. Midas States it is currently working on a new Solution to combat the threat.”

 

Leslie then read the second headline. “Police Lieutenant McGee has come under fire again over questions about his Ability to lead London’s police force. He has currently refused to comment on the questions thrown his way. There is even been talks of a strike, If the Lieutenant doesn't do anything to improve the situation.”

 

Nick turned the computer off, when he noticed on the map that he was approaching the Royal district gates

As the cab made its way to the Entrance to the Royal District, One of the Xerxes guards approached the car. “Hold it right there, citizen!”

The cab stopped, as the guard got in from of him, looking threating with a rifle in both hands. He made his way to the passenger window and Nick rolled the window down “State your business, citizen.” Asked the soldier.

Nick look a little worried with the guards seeing him from above the gate. But was able to reply. “I’m here to see my uncle. I have a card that allows me to enter the royal district.”

“Do you have proof that you have the card on you, Citizen?”

Nick got the card, showing the logo of Midas Industries, from his dads' wallet and showed it to the guard. The guard took it from Nicks and went to the main checkpoint to verify if the card was genuine.

 

Nick stood and waited for the guard to return his card back to him. he looked at the wall, which must have been well over 50 meters high. He eyes were then focused on the graffiti written on the sides of the wall. Each piece of graffiti had its own story to tell. One showed a xerces' solider, dressed like a Republican American solider beating on a civilian in an oppressive manner. Another showed a mock-up of the Emperor, looking high and mighty, while standing on a hill made of people, with a caption underneath saying, “False Ruler.” 

The guard left the checkpoint and walked back to Nick. But before he gave the card back, he asked Nick a question. “You mentioned you wanted to see you uncle. Who is your uncle?”

“His name is William Stenhouse. You might know him as the founder of Midas Industries.”

The guard started laughing, after Nick told him that. “That...That is a good one, kid! God, my sides!”

Nick look angry at the fact that the guard did not believe him and got very defensive about it “it's the truth, I swear!”

“Yeah right. If you are his nephew, then I must be the new pope.” he threw the card back into Nick’s face “now get lost, kid. I've got more important things to do.”

Nick was not having any of that. He got out of the cab and walked up to the guard “now you listen to me, arsehole!”

The guard pushed Nick to the ground with his rifle and aimed it at him. “I told you to piss off, Kid. I'll just shot you in the foot, just to teach you not to f**k with me.” suddenly the guard’s commlink rang in his ear. “what is it, I'm busy here!?” as he answered his commlink. his face then looked surprised. “What? You mean he really is his nephew?!” after a few seconds “Let him in? Ok, I'll do that, over.”

After hanging up, he spoke to Nick. “looks like it's your lucky day, kid. You can go on inside the Royal District.” he turned to the guards in the checkpoint “Open the gate!”

As the doors to the Royal District opened, Nick stood up and he noticed the nervous look on the guard's face, who realise he might lose his job after pushing a billionaire's nephew to the grounds. He began walking back to the cab, only saying one thing to him, just to rub it in his face before he rolled up the window. “Good luck with that new job as a toilet scrubber.”

 

Nick made his inside the Royal District. He was amazed at how bright the streetlights across the neighbourhood were, along with the fancy looking mansions with a mix of sci-fi or of a classic design. Finding 44 Billionaire Roads proved a bit difficult to find due to how complicated London’s roads were. Luckily, the Auto-taxi will have Nick to his location in no time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 2: Information is Power

 

January 1st, 2295, 03:50, Billionaires Road, UK

 

Nick was able to find the house after ten minutes of walking and was astounded by the size of the Victorian-era looking mansion. He went to the front door and went inside.

Hello? Is anyone here?” enquired Nick cautiously as he entered the manor-house.

Then a computerized voice spoke "Welcome, Mr Adams. How was the journey to London?"

"Who are you? Where are you, in fact?" Questioned Nick, wondering where that voice was coming from.

"I am Apollo. Master Stenhouse's personal A.I. My responsibilities are to take care of the place while the Master is away and tend to his guests."

"So, I'm guessing my uncle isn't here at the moment?"

"That is correct. But he gave me instructions to tell you to go to his office, which is on the northwest section of the ground floor. When you get there, I will tell you how to contact him, without needing your phone."

"Ok Thank you." Nick made his ways to his uncle’s office. He found it on the third door which had a golden name plate on the door labelled ‘William's Main Office.’ Nick opened the door and saw that the room had Wooden furniture, a coffee maker, a bookshelf, filled with old printed books that were not destroyed during the Grand War, and a desk with his holographic computer resting on it.

 

“Well this is a fine how-do-you-do isn’t it? Ok, so Apollo, what do I do now?

"If you wish to speak with Master Stenhouse, you must find the floorboard that creaks and stamp on it three times"

Nick moved his feet slowly across the floorboard until he got to centre of the room. He heard the floorboard creak and he then stamped his foot three times. At first nothing happened, but then the floor opened, and ring-like platform appeared from underneath.

 

Nick stood on the platform and a piercing light went around, scanning him. Suddenly the room’s appearance changed, no longer was it an office, it was a desert.

Then Nick noticed his uncle sitting with a desk in front of him.

“Nick, it’s good to see you” said Will

“I was hoping we’d talk in person” replied Nick

“My apologies, you must understand that because of the Black Death, safety precautions had to be taken.”

“Where are you speaking from?” questioned Nick

“I’m afraid that information is classified.” Replied his uncle, as he sipped a small glass of whisky.

“You said you might help me find a way to stop the Black Death.” said Nick eagerly.

“Indeed, I did” replied Will calmly. “Midas have been working on a way to strike back against Thanatos and I think you’d be interested to hear it.”

Will pushed a button on his desk.

“I’m sending something to you now”

“What is it?” asked Nick curiously.

With a sense of pride “The finest weapon ever made!”

 

A small wooden box appeared in front of Nick.

He opened the lid, and a look of disappointment crossed his face.

“A Bracelet, with a Thunderbolt symbol? How am I going to be using this to stop the Black Death?!” questioned Nick, with a bit of confusion.

“Ah but this is no ordinary Bracelet. This is a C.A.P.S.”

Nick was even more confused “C.A.P.S?”      

“A Combat-Armoured-Power-Suit.”  

“How is this Combat-Armoured…whatever!? Asked Nick with a puzzled expression now stretched across his face.

 

“Well,” replied Will. “Inside, there is a microchip that contains a program that can turn you into a powerful solider in seconds. All you have to do is put the watch on and shout out Zeus!”

“Ok, if you say so."

Nick put the bracelet on his right wrist and began to call out the name.

“Zeus.” in an unenthusiastic tone. He tried again “Zeus!" Nick turns to his uncle. "Nothing!”

“Say it, like you mean it! With Feeling!” encouraged Will.

Nick then clenched his fist tightly and said the word with feeling!

“ZEUS!!”

   

Then suddenly, his bracelet began to glow and filled the room with a bright light. Nick felt his body changing. The bright light quickly faded, and he felt a bit shaky.

“What…what’s happened to me?” asked Nick, all woozily.

“See for yourself.” replied a pleased Will.

Will Showed Nick his reflection in a holographic mirror and Nick could not believe his eyes.       

 

His body is covered in a metallic silver armour. Blue lights that glow with his heartbeat, to show his condition. A helmet that fully covers his whole head, with a mouthguard and a visor that fully covers his face.

Nick was amazed by what he was wearing. “Holy crap! I look like one of those superhero's out of a Japanese tv-show. The kind Conner loves watching”

“I knew you’d like it.” Said his uncle, with pleased look on his face.

“Wait. Why does this armour look like the one Thanatos wears?”

“Thanatos also uses a C.A.P.S, similar to yours, but different.”

“How the hell am I going to take him down? I haven’t even had combat training, except for having learned martial arts at school and from Aunt Susie.”

 

Will went over the details of the suit “That suit has a number of features that should give you an advantage in combat: The HUD display in your helmet will help point out various threats on screen, such as incoming attacks, as well as finding structural weakness in whatever battlefield you’re in. You will be able to switch to night vision and thermal vision whenever needed. Your helmet also come equipped with a rebreathe which is designed for underwater and poisons environments. keep in mind you will have about 1 hours of air in your suit and you will only be able to refill it when surrounded by clean air. If something we are happen to you, like say if your heart stopped for example, the suits built-in defibrillator kicks in to get you back on your feet. Your suit is also lead lined to prevent radiation from leaking in and keep the wearer safe at all time. Also, your main weapon is a 50-calibre pistol that can fire Lethal and non-lethal ammunition Which can punch through anything and disable any electric device. With a Press of a button you can even turn into a plasma sword. Its non-lethal function behaves like a stun baton, so you should have no trouble taking anyone down without killing them.”

William then spoke to His A.I “Apollo, link up with the suit and help automate its functions so that Nick Won't have any trouble using it.”

“Right away, sir.” Suddenly Nick feel to his knees as a rush of energy entered the Suit.

“What the hell!” remarked a surprised Nick, as he got back on his feet. “You could’ve warned me that something like that was going to happen, Will!”

William Reassured his nephew. “Relax, Nick. I just needed to make sure you were not going to do anything careless when you wear that suit. So, I need to have Apollo Link up with you and guide you. I also had him disable the lethal functions of your weapon.”

“You need not worry, uncle. The only time I would want to use the kill function is on Thanatos and his men.” Nick said, hoping his uncle would understand.

“It is not that simple, Nick.” Replied his uncle, with concern for his nephew’s wellbeing “you cannot just go around killing criminals or terrorists like there is no consequences to them. you are going to be making a lot of enemies. and many of those enemies have supporters. killing them will only make the repercussions even worse. Can you guarantee that you will not kill anyone?”   

“I’ll do what I can” Nick begrudgingly promised, biting his lip

“Alright then. In that case, I am going give you your first assignment and we’ll see how you get on.”

“Is this a sort of test? I take it you are not going to send me to go after Thanatos”

“No, you’re not ready. It would be a waste your life. We need to build up your strengths and eliminate your flaws.” 

Nick took a deep breath. He realised that he was not going to get around his uncle and would have to go along with his orders and for the moment �" but only for the moment �" bury his burning desire for revenge.

“What’s this assignment then?” he asked.

Will briefed Nick on his assignment “There’s a warehouse in the slum district that was once the West India Docks area that’s now run by one of Thanatos’s lieutenants.” “His name is Heinrich Fischer; he’s a well-known arms dealer in the Black Market. He is wanted in over thirty countries around the world. I need you to bring him in alive so we can interrogate him about Thanatos’s plans.”

 

“Is there anything else I should know” asked Nick.

“We have small reconnaissance unit led by Captain Gina Rhodes. You’ll take your orders from her.”

“Wait, THE Gina Rhodes?! Isn’t she that legendary solider from the Grand War?” questioned Nick.

“The very same. I’ve notified her and her squad to hold their position by the Slum district east gate until you’ve arrived.”

“But Canary Wharf miles away. I do not plan on walking. Unless you have transportation ready for me.”

 

“That I do Nick.” replied his uncle, as the floor which Nick stood on began to sink into the ground. “When I bought this mansion, I had it placed above an old underground station from the 20th century. Which I could use a private base of operations and as a panic room, if you ever were in danger.”

“What sort of things did you did you include?” asked Nick.

The base includes an armoury. Loaded with enough weaponry to start a small-scale war. A VR training room so you can practice your skills in a virtual reality. a pantry loaded with enough food to last for a few years. And a communication room where we will be having are more classified conversations from now on.

 

Once the platform reached the bottom, Nick noticed an advance bike on the decommissioned tube line. “Hey William. What kind of Bike is this?”

“This is the Centaur MARK IV. There are a few things you need to know about this little beauty. It runs on a powerful 1000cc engine, which makes the bike run up to speeds of 240mph. Its twin motors help the bike achieve speeds of 0-60 in 3 seconds flat. The on-board computer has a GPS that covers every square inch of the world. Its main weapons are the twin armour-piercing machine guns on the front along with lock-on stinger missiles and the armour is made from the same metal from your suit and can withstand almost any attack. It is also out fitted with a call-back program that links into your C.A.P.S, so whenever you need it, call for it and it will come to you. Also, that bike is an army model, but it can turn into a civilian model when you’re not using the C.A.P.S.” 

 

Nick got on the bike cautiously and placed both hands on the leather handlebars and suddenly the bike turned itself on. Its engine purred into life and the headlight beamed brightly.

“DNA encoded” said Apollo, through Nicks helmet.

“Keep in mind that you’re the only one authorized to use the bike. If anyone else tries to use it, the computer will give them an electric shock up to 1000 volts.” said Will.

 

“I’m ready to go Will.” said a determined Nick.

“Good luck Nick and be careful.”

Nick revved up the bike's engine and went full speed through the tunnels. Apollo spoke to Nick “Sir. I will pinpoint which tunnel you should take, to get to Captain Gina much quicker.”

The feeling Nick had when he rode on the Centaur was unlike anything he had ever experienced. He had always had a passion for motorbikes since he was young and loved their manoeuvrability, their speed, and the feeling of being one with the machine. But he could not let these emotions distract him from his main goal �" The death of Thanatos.

 

Before he reached Gina, Nick need to know more information about her. Since Apollo was acting as the suits A.I, Nick ask him a question "Ok Apollo, what can you tell me about Captain Gina Rhodes?"

Apollo took less than 3 seconds to have all the declassified information about her.

And it reads as follows:

Capt. Gina Madison Rhodes

D.O.B: 3rd March 2250

P.O.B: Austin, Texas

Nationality: Republican States of America

Relatives: Jacob Rhodes IV (father), Ava Rhodes (Mother), Elijah Rhodes (Brother), Angel Rhodes (Brother), Jacob Rhodes III (Grandfather)

Highest Serving Honour: Medal of Honour

Bio: Gina Rhodes is the daughter of a family of farmers from Beach City Texas. A well-respected family, known for been the few families willing to continue doing agriculture in the state of Texas, during the Grand War.

Gina planned to finish her degrees on Bachelor of Science in Architectural Studies & Engineering, at Austin University, but she dropped out days before her graduation to Enlist in the Marines. This decision earned the scorn of her parents and her older brother, Angel, who to this day pretend as if she was never part of the family. Only her younger brother, Elijah, and her Grandfather supported her decision. Since Jacob was a Solider, in his younger days, until he lost his legs.

Regardless of what her family may think of her. There is no doubt that Gina's actions have helped end the Grand War in 2275, by discovering that the War had kept on going because of many well-respected businesses were illegally finding ways to continue war and profiting of the suffering people for more than 100 years. After the war ended, the world saw Gina has a true hero in bringing peace to the earth. However, Gina feels that she should not take all the credit, as more then 30-40 billion lives were lost in a war that started more than 200 years ago.

 

Nick finished reading her file and speeded onward to the Slum District gate.

 

January 1st, 2295, 04:46, The Slum District, UK

 

At the gates of the slum district. Gina and her two soldiers waited for Zeus to arrive.

“How long is this guy going to be Gina? I want to start putting my gun skills to effective use!” asked the Broad-shouldered soldier carry a heavy bag and looking bored.

“You’re always so trigger-happy, Paul.” replied the other solider.

“I’m from Cardiff, Barry, I don’t f**k around!”

“Well I’m from Newport and we don’t take the notice of brainless thugs.” scoffed Barry.

Paul grabbed him and was about to punch him “You take that back!”

Gina then stepped in to put a stop to their bickering, speaking with a Texan accent “Alright y'all, that’s enough! Do you really think this behaviour will help in getting your grandpa an official pardon from the Emperor!? Remember, the Black Death are your enemy not each other!”

Paul put his younger brother down. “Sorry Gina.” said Paul, shamefacedly. “We’re just so determined to see some action. You should understand that. After all you were the one who saved us when the Black Death attacked our home two years ago and...”

 

Barry Interrupted “Hold on, Paul. Can you hear that?”

Paul and Gina fell silent as they heard an approaching vehicle.

“Sounds like our man is here.” said Gina.

(To avoid confusion, I am going to refer Nick as Zeus at this point until he turns off the C.A.P.S.)

Zeus roared up in a cloud of dust and screeched to a halt.

“Nice bike.” said Paul whistling with appreciation.

“And you are?” Asked Gina

Zeus got off the bike. “My name’s Zeus and that’s all you need to know about me.”

Zeus then looked at Paul and Barry.

“Is this it? Said Zeus, in disbelief. “There are only three of you.”

“Our unit is small but effective.” replied Gina. “Going in with a larger team would only complicate the situation”

 “Captain don’t forget this is mine and Paul’s first assignment since training. Said Barry, a little sheepishly.

“So, I’m going into a highly dangerous sealed off area, that holds some of the worst criminals in the country, with a small team that consists of 3 people; one a legendary solider and two with basic combat experience?” Zeus was doubtful that they could succeed in this mission.

 “So, how much experience have you had?” asked a witty Gina.

“I um…” replied Zeus confusedly.

“Do I take that as none? How old are you?” she asked peering at him through his tinted visor.

Zeus said nothing

“Listen, they may be young, but I’ve been training them for the last two years. I guarantee you; they are superb soldiers.

 

Zeus remembered what his uncle told him about following Gina’s instructions.

“Alright, I'll take your word for it” He replied, “what exactly have you got planned?”

Gina opened a holographic display, then began going over the briefing.

“Our target is a Black-Market dealer named Heinrich Fischer. He is trying to sell Weapons, stolen from Midas to an African militia group called The Deathclaws. Before we go to the warehouse, we will need to examine the location from a distance. There are some old 20th century council houses that are near the warehouse. We will be able to find a way to sneak in and capture the target. Any questions before we do this?”

No one had anything to say.

“Alright y'all, let’s move out!" She turned to the Guards over the gate. "Open the gate!” commanded Gina.

The gate leading to the slum district slowly opened.

Zeus took his bike along with him.

Gina noticed Zeus bringing his bike with him “You won’t need that.” She responded.

“I’m leaving it by the entrance, just in case.” replied Zeus.

To which Barry responded, “Won’t it get stolen?”

Zeus laughed at the idea of that happening “Relax, that bikes well protected.” 

The gate closed and as the group walked away, a rough looking guy appeared and tried to steal Zeus’s bike. However, he had no sooner touched the handlebars when he was given a discharge of 1000 volts of electricity. He collapsed juddering and shaking onto the hard ground.

 

The team strode through the streets of the slum district and found the place was worse than they imagined. The people wore clothes that looked cheap and worn down, their hair was designed to feel Rebellious. and their weapons looked like they were custom built, which meant they were not ID locked. Barry noticed several people with weapons, watching them silently from the building roofs.

“I don’t like this. We’re being watched.” He said.

“Don’t worry.” replied Gina “They’re called The Lost. They run this Whole district. If we keep are distance, we’ll be ok.”

“They’re not working for the Black Death, are they?” asked Zeus          

“If they were, they would have opened fire on us already. Besides their primitive weapons will not even dent our armour. Let us keep moving, the vantage point isn’t that far.”

  

Then out of nowhere a gang of Lost appeared right in front of them, Along with a high-ranking member: Liam Thornton

“Well what do we have here?” said Liam, unsheathing a 30cm hunting plasma knife from a holster of knives on his belt into his right hand. “Three boys in tacky armour, pretending to be superheroes and one hot MILF, who thinks she looks cool with a gun.”

Paul aimed his gun at the leader, while the Lost gangs on the roof aimed their guns at him "You dare speak to Captain Gina, in that manner!?"

Gina approached Paul and lowered his gun “Stand down, solider. Let us keep moving. We don’t want the enemy to know we’re here just yet.” Said muttered quietly.

But as they tried to walk away, more of The Lost surrounded them.

“No one goes anywhere until I say so! This here’s a toll; you don’t go until you’ve paid us.” Demanded Liam, acting like he owned the place, while Juggling the knife in his hand.

“What is it you want?” asked Barry.

“How bout we have your gear and the lady. Bet she will make a nice prize in bed. Right, boys.”

His men, who follow him without question, agreed and wolf whistled at Gina. One of even spoke out "Shake that arse, B***h."

Zeus wanting to play hero and Wishing to defend a woman’s honour, got in front of Gina, and gave his ultimatum to Liam.

“I have a counteroffer: Why don’t you walk away and maybe I won’t have to kill you?”

The Lost get their weapons ready. All aimed at Zeus

Liam raised his left hand up, ordering his men to stand done. Overconfident and arrogant, he responded to Zeus “And why should we take that offer?”   

“Because I’ve got this!” Zeus got his 50-calibre magnum pistol pointed to the Liam's face.

“Whoa!” Barry said in amazement. “Where did you get a gun like that?”

“It comes with the suit. A package bonus.”

Liam did not seem to care that a gun was pointed to his face “You really think I’m scared of a gun to my face?”

“Maybe not the face but I think you would be more scared if you weren’t able to have kids?” replied Zeus in intimidating manner.

 

Liam gave an order to his men. “no one interfere. This one mine!” Liam then Lunged forward to attack Zeus with the knife, but Zeus was able to dodge his attack by quickly moving to Liam’s right. Zeus Clenched his left hand into a fist and punched Liam in the right cheek.

The pain of that punch felt like concrete hitting him. “B*****d!” Liam screamed at Zeus, losing the overconfident attitude. He noticed that Zeus still held the gun in his right hand and called him out on it. “You coward! You brought a gun to a knife fight! What wrongs, don’t you like getting up close and personal!?”

“You’re right” Zeus replied. “It doesn't seem fair I should be fighting you with this gun. So, why don’t I make this make this more fun.” He said smugly. Zeus Pressed a button on his gun and in an instant, it transformed from a 50-calibre pistol into an electric sword which Measured 44cm. One strike from this sword was enough to incapacitate anyone.

Gina spoke out from the crowd “Zeus! Do not kill him. if you must take him down, disarm his weapon and knock him to the ground. so, don't get careless.”

“Understood, captain” replied Zeus.

 

Liam ran forward to Zeus. He made several violent strikes at him with his knife. Zeus was able to block each strike with his sword with sparks of electricity Emanated from his sword from each strike. Zeus Locked eye contact with Liam. He noticed that Liam had a look on his face that said I must not fail or there will be consequences for my failure. Zeus also remembered that his Armour was made from the strongest metal. So, he decided to give Liam a massive head butt into his nose, hoping to give him a nosebleed.

Liam made a few steps back put in his left hand on his now bleeding nose. “You m**********r! I am so Going to skin you alive for that.”        

Zeus Quickly kicked water into Liam’s eyes from a nearby puddle. This was now his chance to bring him down. Zeus ran to Liam’s right, swung his sword, and sliced off the right hand which held the knife.

 

Liam Couldn't believe what Zeus had done. “My hand! You f****r, you chopped of my hand!” He tried to strike at Zeus with his left fist. But Zeus kicked him in the stomach and kicked him to the ground.

“Now how about the counter-offer I mentioned earlier?” Smugly asked Zeus. As He stood on top of Liam and put his right foot on his neck.

“Okay…Okay! You can pass!" replied Liam as he struggled to breathe.

Zeus took his foot off Liam’s. “You see; it wasn’t that hard to ask.”

Zeus then looks at his team, each one surprised and amazed at his ability’s. Although, Gina however was not sure.

“Ok men let’s move out!” she commanded.

As the team move out, Gina wondered if Zeus, with all his skills could someday become a major problem. She was aware Zeus was just a child and that she should not think of such things while she had a mission to do. However, she did mutter to herself. “He has much to learn.”

Several of the Lost gang ran up to Liam to help pick him of the ground. “Sir, are you alright.” Asked one of the members.

Liam slapped him with his left hand. “does it look like I'm all right, you twat!?” he Angrily replied. “Take me to Sparks. he can help reattach my hand.”   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 3: Knowing your allies

 

January 1st, 2295, 05:18, The Slum District, UK

 

After Zeus dealt with the leader of the Lost. The group continued walking to where the arms deal was located. On the way, Gina decided to talk with Zeus. “How much do you know about the Black Death exactly?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean like their History, who is associated with them, or even who are Thanatos’s Elite Forces?”

“I know of Thanatos Elite Guards, but I can’t really remember their names.”

That is when Gina decided to tell Zeus who each of the Elite Forces are.

 

“There are 4 members of the Black Death Elite, each one handpicked by Thanatos due to their dangerous reputation and disregard for human life. The first is Valeria Madnar; she is one of Russia’s most dangerous snipers, she has been known to never miss a single shot and her bullets are able to ricochet of anything.” 

“She is also the one who Assassinated Pope Lenard III, by firing multiple shots at his bulletproof pope-mobile and sending the glass shards from the window into him” commented Paul.

“Well observed, Paul. The second is Richard Davis; a former leader of a L.A street gang called the Head-hunters. He has been known to cut of the heads of his enemies and mount them as trophies.

“Why would Thanatos recruit a guy like that?” Asked Zeus 

“Because he also served in the U.S army during the grand war and was discharged for disobeying orders and allegedly stealing military hardware to terrorist’s overseas for profit.”

“You can see why Thanatos would want a guy like that in his army. Everyone was trying to get rich, after the war ended” said Barry.

Gina continued to brief Zeus.

“The third member is Patrick McGuire; a former member of the Five-Leaf Clovers; Irelands deadliest terrorists. This is a guy who loves causing explosions and destroying famous landmarks. He is one responsible for the white phosphorus attack at last year’s world cup. This is a guy who seriously needs to be put behind bars or at the very least have a bullet in his brain.

Finally, the last and most mysterious of the Elite is Shinigami; there really is not a lot of information on this guy. We know he is Japanese and that he is highly skilled in ninjutsu. No one knows his real name and his face is covered by an Oni mask. It’s even been said that he has lived for over 700 years, but that can’t be possible.”

“Maybe Shinigami is a title that just gets pasted down to the next one.” queried Zeus.

“That would to be the case.” Replied Gina”

“Do you even know why he joined up with the Black Death?”

“That as well is another Mystery. It has been said that Thanatos went to Japan to recruit him and that Shinigami joined for without evening having to pay him. Shinigami joined because he said his presence was needed. Well that’s all the information I can give you on the elite, I hope you’ll be ready to deal with them when the time comes.”

“Don’t worry Captain; I’ll be sure to be prepared for them.”

“You’d better be, because the Black Death have been known to not take prisoners”

Then Barry interrupted them while pointing forward. “Captain Rhodes. There’s the vantage point we’re looking for.”

“Good work Barry.” “We need to get to the top floor; make sure the room we enter is clear and then I’ll scope out the warehouse.”

 

Gina and the squad arrived at the flats where they then went upstairs to the top floor. She then examined the door of one of the flats to make the door lock was not busted. She placed her hand on the door handle and pushed down on it. The door was already unlocked as she pushed it forward with one hand while wielding her semi-auto handgun in the other. They team slowly made their way inside behind her. They found the flat to in a poor state. The walls look as if the paint was peeling off, the wooden floorboards were sticky, and there was the smell of takeaway food in the air.

“The place seems clear so far.” Said Barry.

 

Gina started giving them an order. “Ok Y'all, let us search this area. We need to make sure no squatters are living here. Barry; go check bedrooms.”

“Yes ma’am.”

“Paul; go check the kitchen and bathroom.”

“Sure, no problem.” Paul said in an excited as if he was hungry 

 And just as Paul was ready to quickly walk to the kitchen. Gina cleared her throat.

“I mean, Yes Ma’am.”

“That’s better. And do not bother looking for food. It is long expired. And Zeus; Clear the Living room.”

“Yes ma’am.”

“Good. Once you have cleared each room, I want you to report back to me”

 

Barry and Paul entered the rooms that they were ordered to search, while Zeus searched the living room with his gun in hand. Where the only items that remains was 2 worn-out leather sofas facing each other, a small wooden table with a leg missing and a busted 50inch HDTV from the early 21st century. Gina then entered the room.

 

"This room appears to be clear, Captain."

“Sit down Zeus; I want to talk with you for a minute”      

“Ok, what about?”

“Just sit down and I’ll tell you.”

Zeus sat down on the sofa while Gina sat on the other one.

Gina then began asking him some question.

“How much combat experience have you had?”

“Is this off the record?”

“Of course.”

Zeus answered as best he could.

“Well…I have had lessons in self-defence back at school.”

“Have you ever used a gun before becoming Zeus?”

“Does a Light gun and water gun count?”

Gina looked at him with face that would say “Really?”

“I guess that’s a no then.”

“You think wearing that suit makes you feel unstoppable, doesn’t it… Nick Adams?”

A look of shock appeared on Zeus’s face underneath the helmet. Then he stood up.

“How do you know my name!?”

“I know you since the day you were born.”

“You’re lying.”

“Really? Do the names David and Sarah Adams ring any bells?”

Zeus did not answer.

 

“You don’t have to answer that. I already know their dead. Your Uncle told me what happened to them after you spoke with him on the train. I knew them both after the war. They were working for Midas funded medical centre in Africa. Sarah was a nurse and David work as a security guard. I remember teaching him a few tips on how to properly disarm someone with a gun. He could never get the hang of out. He was always careless when it came to getting things done. A bit like what I saw you did earlier with that Lost guy.”

Zeus attempted to justify his actions “I didn’t have much of a choice. The guy was armed; I had to take him down!”

Gina countered his excuse “You could’ve simply grabbed his arm as he was about to strike, then throw him to the ground while holding his arm. There was no need to cut it off.”

Gina then took her helmet. Zeus was surprised by how she looked. Despite being in her mid-40; Gina had brunet hair in a short ponytail with hardly any grey on it. Her face, while looking old had no wrinkles and a battle scar near her left eye. Despite having the scar, she was clearly a woman who took care of her appearance, even on the battlefield.

 

“Nick, I know you’re doing this because you want to get revenge on Thanatos for killing your Parents. I can understand that. But do you have any idea how dangerous the people who work for the Black Death are?

“I’ve only heard of the things they’ve done on the news. And what you told me about the Elite.”

“There’s more to it than that. Look, these people are sadist, theirs monsters who would kill you or even torture you. You may be young, but they will not care about that. You are going into a war with them with hardly any combat experience, and I am not counting the suit. I ask you this; what happens when you have to fight them, and you don’t have your C.A.P.S?”

Zeus could not find a way to answer that.

“Exactly!” said Gina “As of now, I am assigning you as my apprentice. You will be taking orders from me. And when I am on a mission, you will be going with me and the Jones Brothers. Is that understood?”

“I don’t seem to have choice, do I?”

“Trust me Nick; you’ll thank me for this.”

 

Paul and Barry then entered the Living Room to report in.

Barry went first.

“Captain! I finished my search of the Bedrooms. The kid’s room had nothing but a broken bed and some toys, while the parent’s room only had a bed with a stolen mattress and a painting of the beach.”

“Good job Barry. What about you Paul?”

“The kitchen had nothing but some cleaning chemicals under the sink. And the bathroom had a smashed-up bathtub and toilet along with some expired toothpaste.”

Gina put her helmet back on and gave them all a new order.

“Alright, I want y’all to go over our equipment and make sure we have everything. Gina then went to the window and took out a pair of high-tech binoculars. “I need to see what we’ll be up against before we do this.”  

“Understood Captain!” said both Paul & Barry.

Paul dropped the bag he was carrying onto the rectangle-shaped dining table, and then the two sat down, unzipped the bag, and took out each piece of equipment one at a time.

Zeus sat of the opposite side of the table.

 

“So how do you two know Gina?” asked Zeus.

The two brothers looked at each other

“Do you want me to tell him or do you want to do it?” Paul asked his brother.

“I can tell him, while you go over the equipment.” Replied Barry

“Ok.”

Paul examined the equipment while Barry spoke to Zeus.

“Two years ago, the Black Death attacked the welsh capital of Cardiff. I, Paul, and our parents were at the Wales Millennium Centre when it got attacked. We tried to escape the building before it collapsed on us, but we could not get out in time. Paul & me managed to survive getting crushed but are parents did not make it. We were stuck in the rubble for what seemed like hours, until we heard people digging through the wreckage looking for survivors. That is when we learnt that Gina was the one in charge of recusing survivors. After we were saved, we met her in the hospital to thank her for saving us. Paul asked if we could join her in helping to take down the Black Death. She was hesitant at first, but considering we were the only survivors in that attack, she probably knew how capable we were, when it came to surviving.”

 

“I didn’t know the Imperial Army was willing to recruit people under 18.” Said Zeus.

“The Imperial Army?” sniggered Paul while trying not to laugh. “As if they’d ever recruit us, not since…”

“Thank you, Paul!” interrupted Barry before Paul could finish. “I’ll continue the talking.”

Paul continued checking the equipment.

“What my brother was trying to say is that we’re not really part the regular Army.”

“What army are you with then?” questioned Zeus.

“The Spartans.”

“Spartans? Aren’t those the soldiers from ancient Greece that would never surrender no matter how bad the situation was?”

“The very same. People think the Spartans died out 2000 years ago. But they do not realise that they have always been around for every major war. You see, the Spartans fight for a free world where people can be able to decide their own future, without being oppressed. Every time there has been a war against anyone that would deny its people the right to freedom; The Spartans have always been there to crush and destroy them.”

 

“But why are the Spartans recruiting people as young as you two?” asked Zeus

“It’s because we wanted to join. Spartans do not force kids to join their army. We are given the choice to turn them down in favour of having a normal life. But most young people hardly have a place to go these days. So, we became Spartans because they need any help they can get in this war.”

Barry turned to look at Gina, who was looking out the window.

“I see that Gina has made you her apprentice. That is good. You are learning from the absolute best, Nick.”

Nick was surprised that Barry knew his real name “Did you ease drop on our conversation?”

“I did. Turns out you are just like the rest of us. Minus the fact you’ve had zero combat training.” replied Barry with a smug look on his face.

“Go easy on him Barry. Gina did not think much of us when we first joined. But we were able to prove to her how good we were, after two years.”

“Maybe, but I still think this might not be what he’s cracked up to be.”

“What’s wrong? Afraid I might Jeopardise your mission?” said Zeus

“That’s exactly what I’m worried about.”

 

Paul finished checking the equipment. “Ok, that’s all we brought with us.”

“What have you got?” asked Zeus.

“Let’s see now; we have fragged grenades, flashbangs, smoke grenades, EMP grenades.”

The EMP grenades worried Zeus. So, he asked if they were safe to use. “Won’t those affect our armour?”

“Don’t worry.” Barry replied. “Our armour has been modified to be immune to them.”

Paul continued with checking the items.

“Lastly we have; Door Breaches, Snake cameras, Grappling wrist guns for each of us, and Screeches.”

“Screeches?”

“These things can emit a loud ear-piercing noise that cause anyone to drop their weapons and cover their ears. Luckily, our helmets can block the noise out.”

Apollo spoke to Zeus “Sir, that grappling device is able to integrate with your suit. Pick it up and put it on your left wrist.”

Zeus picked the grapple gun and attached it to his left wrist. “One moment, sir. I’m going to merge the device with your armour.” After a few second “Confirmed. Grapple hook gun has been officially integrated into your suit. you can now use it to climb up high structures, Grab objects from a distance or Pull people down.”

“Will I be able to add any additional upgrades to this Armour?” Zeus asked.

“Yes. Overtime we will find more equipment on our mission. I will scan for the best upgrades.”

“Thanks Apollo”

 

Paul checked the bag to make sure nothings has been missed. “Captain Rhodes.”

“What is it, Paul?” she said, while using her binoculars.

“I’ve gone over our equipment. Everything is here.”

“Good job Paul” Gina walked away from the window and approached the table. “Before we do this, let’s go over our plan."

Gina put a holographic device on the table that shows a 3D display of the warehouse. "Our first plan is to sneak onto the warehouse rooftop undetected. There is a window on the roof that will get us inside. Once inside we will need to move quietly, as the flooring could give out if we are not careful. The deal should be being held on the ground floor. Once we find where exactly what room the deal is being made, we will Flash & Clear the room and take out anyone who fires back at us and arrest Heinrich Fischer before he gets a chance to escape. One more thing as well: do not kill Heinrich! He will have information on who else is making deals with the Black Death, so be sure to set you weapons to stun."

 

Gina turned off the display. “Anyone got any questions before we do this?”

Zeus asked Gina a Question. “What do we do if are target finds a way to escape?”

“I will notify the guards at the gate to make sure he can’t get through. Ok then. Gear up, everyone.”

The team took each piece of equipment and place them in their utility belts. After they finished gearing up, they left the flat and made their way to the warehouse.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 4: Breach and Clear

 

January 1st, 2295, 06:05, The Slum District, UK

 

The Spartans were able to make to the abandoned warehouse near the River Thames. Gina made sure her team stayed right behind her and not to make any sudden noises as she saw the front entrance.

“There’s the warehouse. I don’t think the deals started yet… Wait, hold on” Gina then noticed a boat, arriving from the north of the Thames. “And what do we have here?” she said gleefully. “It looks like our target be here in 5 minutes. We are going to have to sneak around the back and climb up to the roof from there. Move out!”

 

The team made sure they were not spotted, as they crouched silently to the back of the warehouse. Gina then ordered them to use their grappling guns, which they had holstered on their side. They equipped their guns and fired them onto the railings on the rooftop, and then proceeded to slowly climb up the building. After they climbed up to roof, Barry noticed the window that would lead them inside. Before he opened it, he used a snake camera to get a look inside, to make sure there were no guards patrolling the upper floor. “Confirmed, there are zero hostiles.” whispered Barry.

“Open and clear” ordered Gina.

Barry opened the window. Paul was the first to go through, followed by Gina, Zeus, and Barry. They then proceeded to clear the room, but all they could find were some crates that were either empty or held cans of food.

“No doubt people were living here, if this is where they can find food” said Zeus.

 

 “This floor’s clear. let us move downstairs, quietly.” Gina ordered. “Zeus get behind me. Barry & Paul you stay behind Zeus and follow me.

“Yes Captain.” Replied the three.

Zeus got behind Gina, followed by Paul and then Barry who then face the opposite direction to make sure there was no one behind them.

They team began to move in unison. Moving quietly down the stairs to the ground floor. Making sure their footsteps were not loud against the metal and unstable stairs. Gina Stopped once she got to the bottom and ordered the team to stack up to the door leading to the deal.

 

“Team stack up” Ordered Gina quietly. Zeus walked to the left side of the door while Barry & Paul went to the Right. Gina walked up to the door, she went down on one knee and placed a snake-camera underneath it. “There are 5 Black Death Soldiers patrolling the room. I see Heinrich sitting down in front of a table. The Deathclaws should be here any second now.”

Just then the metallic doors to the warehouse entrance opened. Three African men standing for the Deathclaws arrived. Two of them carrying guns, while the other had a suitcase containing money.

“The deals about to start” said Gina. She switched on the microphone on the snake cam “I’m going to hear what they’re say. Remain Silent.”

 

Gina began to listen to the deal being made.

“Gentlemen, welcome, welcome. How good of you to come.” Said Heinrich as he got up from his chair with arms stretched out to welcome the buyers.

“We didn’t come to this shithole of a country to exchange friendly conversation, Mr Fischer.” Responded the buyer in an uncivil manner “We only came to buy the weapons and then leave.”

The buyer then sat on the opposite side of the table, with the suitcase of money on his lap.

“But of course, gentlemen. But don’t you at least want to see what fine goods I am selling before you blindly spend your money?” asked Heinrich in a salesperson like manner.

“Fine. But this had better be worth it”

“Trust me, you won’t regret it". Heinrich turned to the Black Death Soldier's "Men, Show him the goods!”

 

Two of the Black Death soldiers carried a heavy rectangle shaped container over to the table. Making sure to put it down gently, so as not damage the weapon inside.

Heinrich then opened the container and began describing the weapon as if he were a presenter on a shopping channel.

“May I introduce you to the KZ-98 Twin-Launcher. A double-barrel missile launcher. Capable of destroying anything it locks-on to. And it is even able to piece through any surface it lands on. But that's not best feature of this weapon. It’s also a stealth-weapon.”

“Meaning…?” questioned the buyer.

“Meaning, that its completely undetectable by Rader. By the time, your enemies have been hit by this beauty, its already too late.”

The buyer seemed convinced “I have to say, I’m impressed. How many of these things do you have?”

“We have about 20+ container carrying these. It is enough to start a small war. I would prove it to you. But I don’t want the authorities to know we are here.”

 

Gina heard all she needs to hear. She put the snake camera out of the door, put it back into her belt and got back up. “Alright Spartans, these are your orders:  Zeus open the door and throw an EMP Grenade, that will disable the Black Death soldiers. Barry throw a flash grenade once the door has been opened. And Paul, go in after I go and take out the Black Death Troops. You two do the same as well. Set your weapon to stun. We want the buyer for questioning as well.”

“Understood Captain” replied Zeus, with his hand on the door handle.

Barry had a flash grenade ready in his hand. While Paul had his Shotgun fully loaded and ready to fire.

“Flash and Clear!” ordered Gina.

Zeus opened the door and tossed an EMP grenade.

The buyer got up from his chair “What the hell?! We’ve been set up!”

Heinrich was able to see who gave the order. “It’s Gina Rhodes!”

Barry then tossed the flashbang into the room, while the Spartans looked away so they would not be blinded by it.

“Grenade!” Shouted one of the Deathclaw Soldiers

The flashbang went off, blinding everyone in the room, while the EMP grenade buggered up the Black Death Troops.

“GO, GO, GO!” shouted Gina.

The Spartans entered the room, aiming their guns at anyone who might try to fight back. Gina and Paul fired at the Black Death troops, reducing them to nothing but scrap metal. Zeus and Barry fired non-lethal rounds, knocking the Heinrich and the buyers to the ground. And then proceeded to arrest the Deathclaw buyers by taking away their guns and handcuffing them.

Heinrich tried to attack Gina with steel pipe “You won’t beat me, like you beat my dad, Gina!” he shouted while charging at her. But due to being blinded by the flashbang, every attack he made felt sloppy and uncoordinated, which is why Gina got the upper hand by grabbing his hand and throwing him to the ground.

 

“Arrghh” Heinrich was pin to the ground in pain, while Gina held on to his arm. “You Texan B***h!”

“Nice to see you too, Heinrich.” Sarcastically replied Gina. “I always thought you’d reform. Turns out I was wrong.”

“I take it you have a history with this man?” Zeus questioned, as he arrested one of the buyers.

Gina Began to explain his history “I knew Heinrich, during the Grand War. His father (Herbert Fischer) was once a well-respected salesperson in Germany. That was until he started dealing in illegal weapons, drugs, and even trafficking people. I was able to arrest his Dad, where he then served life imprisonment…”

Heinrich butted in. “That was until three of his former customers (who were also arrested by you) killed him in the prison gym, by smashing a dumbbell on his face!”

Gina continued with her story. “After Herbert was arrested, I had his son sent to an orphanage. I would hope him being away from his father would help him get a head start on a new life. But I guess the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree.”  

“Did you really think that would help me? I carried on his work so I could one day get my revenge on you. Luckily, Thanatos hired me on, promising to help with my business” 

The Deathclaw buyer butted in “Well you can tell Thanatos that the Deathclaw’s will officially cease all cooperation with the Black Death from this point on.”

Paul walked up to him and kicked him in the face “No one said you can talk; you piece of terrorist scum!” 

“Hey!” said a disapproving Gina, as she walked up to Paul to slap him on the cheek. “We don’t beat up unarmed prisoners, regardless of how serious their crimes are.”

Paul tried to justify himself "But these people are terrorists! Why should they be free from harm, when they clearly just want to cause nothing but harm to us, as well as innocent people?!

Gina gave Paul her reasons. "If you go around beating others (no matter how violent and cruel they are), you'll end just being a thug at best or a terrorist at worst."

Paul seemed reluctant to apologies to Gina, considering how much he hated terrorists. But he nevertheless did so. "Sorry, Captain. I still have much to learn."   

"I'll let this slide, as it is your first mission. But I expect to see you get better after this." Gina turn her attention to the other Spartans “Spartans, get the captured men to their feet. I’ll radio the police so they can pick them up.”

 

The Spartans picked up the handcuffed terrorist, While Gina then contacted the authorities. “This is Captain Rhodes. I have apprehended Heinrich Fischer & several Deathclaw Terrorists. Requesting immediate pickup, Over.”

“Copy that, Captain. Pickup is on the way. ETA 5 minutes, over” replied the operator.

“Ok Y'all, lets head outside as the police will be here soon.”

“Understood Captain” replied Barry.

“You Heard the Lady. Get moving outside!” ordered Paul while pointing his gun at the terrorists.

Heinrich and the Deathclaws reluctantly walked outside of the warehouse.

Gina used her binoculars, when she saw a what looked like a police boat sailing along the River Thames. Gina gave an annoyed sigh “of course, he would show up” she muttered to herself, after noticing one of the officers on the boat. That person she was referring to was LT. Mcgee. A controversial figure of the London police. And one Gina was not looking forward to seeing again 

When the police eventually arrived, several armed police officers got off the boat, ready to take the terrorists.

“Thank you for everything, Captain. We’ll take it from here.” Said the lieutenant.

“Understood, lieutenant. Make sure these men don’t do anything funny.” She replied sarcastically, knowing the kind of person Mcgee was.

“Don’t worry, we’ll make sure their well looked after” facetiously replied the lieutenant. His eye was then drawn to Zeus

The police took the terrorists onto to the boat, as well as the stolen weapon boxes and powered away, leaving the Spartans by the warehouse.

 

Gina then turned to her soldiers “Well… given the circumstances; I’d say we did a job well done. Paul & Barry I’m impressed on how well you preformed on your first assignment.”

“Thank you, captain.” replied the brothers.

“And you Zeus; Despite not having any training from me, you managed to handle yourself really well.”

“Thank you” said Zeus.

“But don’t think that every mission I’m on is this easy.”

“I understand, Captain”

“Good. Ok then, I think it’s time we leave the Slum District, we’ve overstayed are welcome”

And with that the Spartans left the abandoned warehouse and made their way back to where they first entered the slum district.

 

The Spartans made their way back to the gate leading to the Civil district. “You can open the gate; We’re leaving” ordered Gina, to the soldiers on top of the Gate.

The gate slowly opened, and Gina noticed a young woman on the other side, who appear to be waiting for them. Wearing a winter coat with the initials EMD, and a camera-bot hovering beside her.

“Oh...s**t.” She said, in a displeased manner.

“What’s wrong? Do you know those people?” asked Zeus.

“Terrorists aren’t the only trouble we have to deal with.” Said Paul “There's also a nonviolent equivalent, The Press. She is with EMD News. Her name is Stacy Watson.”

“I think its best if we let Gina do all the talking.” Suggested Barry “I doubt they’ll have anything to say to us.”

 

Then suddenly, Stacey ran straight to the Spartans. Stacey began to ask Gina questions, while holding her microphone up to Gina’s face. “Captain Rhodes! I am Stacey Watson, reporting for EMD news. May I say that it is an honor to finally meet the legendary solider who helped us win the Grand War.” Stacy gave out her hand, wanting to shake Gina’s.

Gina shook her hand and replied. “People have been known to romanticize many of my endeavors. I’m just a solider, doing my job.”

“Even so, it’s a rare opportunity to finally get a chance to speak to you. I have a few questions to ask you if you’re able to answer them that is?”

“That depends on the nature of the question.”

Stacy looked determined to get some answers out of Gina, and began her first question, all while the camera-bot was ready to record.

“Captain, as you know the Slum District is a cesspool, that’s full of the people that shouldn’t live in this country. However, it is also a perfect hiding place for any potential terrorist activity. Would you say that’s true?”

Gina Replied to the question in the best way she could.

“While the Slum District is full of people that have fallen on challenging time, Due to the Emperor not wanting to help the people that won't contribute to his cause. Terrorists would most likely want to exploit their need for revenge by recruiting them and assigning them on suicide missions.”

Stacy had another question ready.

“If that’s the case, why are you here and not Xerxes, since they are hired by the Emperor to handle this kind of thing?”

“Xerxes soldiers are mostly only interested in the job as long as there’s money involved. Saving lives have never been a top priority for them. I however do not concern myself with money, since protecting the people from those that do them harm should never have a price tag. Also, I am under no liberty to discuss my real reason for being here since that information is classified.”

 

Stacy was about to ask her another question, until she saw Zeus. She was more interested in him then asking Gina more questions.

“And who’s the Shiny silver guy?” she asked with interest.

“I’m afraid I can’t share information about our…” replied Gina, until Stacy was no longer interested in speaking with her.

Stacey walked up to Zeus. She appeared to be in awe by the design by Zeus’s suit. Then she took some quick breaths and began asking him some questions.

“Hello. I am Stacy Watson, reporting for EMD news, but you already know that. Would you be willing to ask me a few questions?”

Zeus did not really know what to do, since he did not expect to be interview on T.V

“Well…sure, I guess I could do that” he said, while not sure of what to say next.

“Great. Now can you tell us who you are and what you’re doing here?”

Before Zeus can say anything, Paul grabbed camera-bot and Barry got in front of Stacey. “Hey! Careful with that, that’s expensive!” she said, trying to get the camera back.

Gina Stepped in front of Zeus. “This interview is over!” she turned to Zeus “Get out of here, Zeus, you’re in no shape to handle the press yet!”

Zeus took Gina’s advice and legged it to his Bike. Stacey chased after him “Don’t go!” she said. “at least give us something!”

Zeus got on his bike. It automatically turned itself on. He revved up the engine and speeded out of the slum district. Stacy tried in vain to chase after him and get an answer out of him, but he was too fast. She soon ran out breath, but not before saying one word in frustration “FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKK!” 

 

Zeus then spoke to Apollo. “Apollo, what can you tell me about LT. Mcgee?”

Apollo took 3 seconds to present Zeus all the non-classified data on the police officers. “Llieutenant Steven Mcgee is a highly respected but controversial figure in London's police force. Before becoming a police officer, he was a private in the British army before it was renamed the Imperial Army. After the war ended, he left to join the London police department. His methods on dealing with criminals were questionable, as he would often use methods that were not by-the-book. But he was loved by the public, only because crime did go down because of him. However, over the years, he seems to have let the fame go to his head. Because he would be known for firing or demoting officers that seem to be doing a better job than him. There have even been allegations of corruption and falsifying evidence, to protect criminals that were also his friend

 

Zeus seemed a little disgusted at the lieutenants disregard for the law “Well the lieutenant better be careful of me. Because London has a new officer now.” Zeus went full speed on his bike, as he sped back home by going into one of the abandoned metro tunnels.

January 1st, 2295, 06:57, Billionaires Road

 

Zeus made his way back to the abandoned underground tunnels, which were underneath the mansion. he parked the bike where he first got it. And got off the bike and turned off his C.A.P.S, returning to Nick.

“God, what a morning this turned out to be.” He said, while looking exhausted. Just then his phone started beeping. It is was a message from his uncle, telling him to speak to him in his office. Nick was reluctant to do so, due to being tired after his first day, taking down some terrorists. But he decided to do so anyway, or he will never be able to get some sleep. He slowly made his way up the stairs, with every footstep feeling heavier and heavier with each movement. But he was able to make it to his uncle’s office. Nick then stood on the communication platform, where he was instantly transported via hologram to a rainforest. William sure loves to communicate with style.

 

Nick saw his uncle sitting on a leather spin chair, brandishing a glass of whisky in one hand and data pad in the other. William had his eyes on the data pad. He seemed interested on what was on it. Seconds later, he put the pad down and took a quick sip of his whisky.

“Looking at you're latest Stock reports, as usual?” Nick said, while trying to hold back a yawn.

“It’s nothing you need worry about, Nick.” Replied his uncle, wanting to change the subject. “Captain Rhodes informed me on happened this morning. She said you handled yourself quite well on your first assignment.”

Nick felt a bit of self-sufficiency. “All the more reason I should be able to deal with Thanatos.”

“Don't get ahead of yourself. You are still just a kid and have much more to learn. I expect you to take what is going on more seriously.

“Don't ’t worry, Will.” Nick tried holding back his yawn “As long as I’m will Gina, I'll be ok. I may even learn some combat advice from her.”

Nick then let out a bigger yawn. His uncle looked concerned. “I think you should get some sleep. You have had a terribly busy morning today, and it seems to have taken a toll on you.

“No argument there.” Responded Nick, after a massive yawn. “Will, can I ask you something?”

“what is it?”

“Since I am going to be staying here; what I am I going to do about my home, back in Biggleswade?

“Not to worry. I have arranged for all your things to be delivered here, including David and Sarah's things. It should take 2 to 3 days to get here. Oh, and your room is the first door you see, after walking up the stairs.

“Thanks, Will. I really need a bed to collapse on right now.”

Nick walked off the platform and headed straight for his room. He remembered that it was the first door seen, after going up the stairs. He found the door to his room and began to open it. When he saw what his room looked like, he thought he had stumbled into a 5-star hotel room, exclusive to billionaires. Nick used whatever strength he had left and collapsed onto the bed. He closed his eyes and went to sleep.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 5: Breaking News

 

January 1st, 2295, 13:15, 44 Billionaires Road, UK

 

The sound of church bells emitted from the celling of the room, making Nick jump out of his bed violently. Nick threw his pillow towards the ceiling, thinking it was an attack. Once he realised what it was, he got up and spoke to Apollo. “Was that you, Apollo?”

"Good afternoon, sir." Said Apollo. "I hope you slept well. The time is now 1:15pm. The weather is sunny with temperatures reaching 40 degrees Fahrenheit."

Nick looked the time on his phone. "1:15 pm ...and I still feel like s**t." Nick wondered what to do now that he was up. He looks at himself in the mirror. His hair was shabby and greasy, and the eyes were struggling to stay open. He decided to have a shower, to help wake himself up.

 

Nick left his bedroom and went to the bathroom, which was 4 doors to his left. He entered the bathroom, got undressed, and placed his clothes on the Auto-wash & Dry, so that they will be clean when he is finished in the shower. Nick went into the shower and activated it with the voice command function "Shower, set water temperature to warm."

The shower then began to fire out warm water. Nick could feel a days’ worth of stress wash off. But it was not enough to make him forget watching his parents die earlier that day, right in front of his eyes. Being reminded of that made him clenched his teeth together and in a rush of anger punched the wall with his right hand while yelling. "Thanatos, I will kill you!" Nick looked at his hand to see that his knuckles were bruised. But it did not bother him in the slightest. "I will grant you a slow and painful death." Nick spoke to Apollo. “Apollo, can you give me any news updates on London.”

 

“Certainly, sir. Today’s big story From EMD News involves the arrest of a German arms dealer and three Deathclaw Terrorists. They were arrested in the Slum District by the police and are currently being held for interrogation. Afterwards they are likely to be executed on crimes of terrorism. In other news stories in London, having grown tired of seeing her people suffer because of the Black Death, Princess Emily Rose has announced that she will be helping as a Nurse for St. Thomas’s Hospital. The princess has insisted that she wishes to not to be treated any differently. And states that she is doing this because she wants to care for her people. And finally, young reporter Stacy Watson was able to Interview the Hero of the Grand War: Captain Gina Rhodes. However, a more mysterious person going by the Name Zeus was with her. We reached out to Midas for any comment on this man. But they refused to speak to us at this time.”

 

After 5 minutes, Nick turned the shower off and picked up a towel to dry himself off. He wrapped the towel around him and went to the mirror to dry and brush his hair. His right hand looked more bruised, so he looked in one of the cupboards for a bandage to wrap around his hand. He wrapped the bandage around his hand four times to make sure no one can see his bruised knuckles. After finishing his hair, he got changed into his clean clothes and left the bathroom.

 

Nick then wondered what to do now, but then he heard his stomach growling. "I haven't eaten anything since that New year's party. I stuffed myself full on the buffet tables. I need to cut down on the sausage rolls this year" Nick wondered if he should cook something or go out somewhere to eat. But after working with Gina earlier that morning, Nick could not be bothered to cook anything. He went back to his room to put his favourite jacket on, making sure he had everything on him and then went downstairs to leave the mansion at the front door.

 

Before he left the mansion, Nick spoke to Apollo. "Apollo, where can I find a decent place to eat in London, that’s not too expensive?"

Apollo replied, "According to user reviews on Trip Guide; Covent Garden is a popular place to eat, for people who don't want to spend a lot."

"Thanks, Apollo. I am just heading out. Take care of the place while I'm out " Nick left the mansion through the front door and headed to convent garden via the London underground.

 

The entrance to the underground was only a two-minute walk from the mansion. And like with Kings Cross Station; It was filled with Xerxes soldiers, guarding every corner of the underground. Nick was not worried in the slightest. If he had his ID with him, he was ok. He went up to a ticket machine to buy a return ticket for Covent Garden. Placing the ticket into the ticket barrier and picking it up after he walked past the barrier. Nick made his way down the escalator, where he saw how packed it was. If it were this packed on the escalator, you can imagine how bad it would be on the train. Once he got to the end of the escalator, he would need to walk left and took the Piccadilly Line, to get to Covent Garden. Nick made it to the Piccadilly Line Platform, where loads of other people were waiting for the train, which was only 6 minutes away. While Nick was waiting for the train, he could see EMD 24 hours news on the monitors. Everyone began to watch.

 

On the screen we are two people. One was a man who looked to be in his mid-forty's, while still being allowed to look his age. And the other was an Asian woman who seemed to be in her twenty's, all coated in makeup and wearing a blue laced dress, to entice the male viewers.

"Good Afternoon. I am Stuart Brown, for EMD News. And with me is my co-host Mary Lee. In Today's top Story: An illegal Arms Dealer and several Terrorists have been arrested in the Slum District, earlier this morning. The Arms Dealer has been named as Heinrich Fischer, the son of disgraced German businessperson Herbert Fischer. Wanted in over 50 countries. His evasion of the authority's for more than five years has finally ended. Earlier this morning the police were able to arrest Heinrich, as well as Aba Ideal; A Deathclaw Lieutenant. Both suspects are currently undergoing interrogation by the police.

 

The other trains passengers who were watching the news, looked at each other with a smile. "I'm glad that scum is finally getting the justice he deserves" said one of the passengers. Another replied "Well we all know he won't last long. Besides, anyone who commits terrorism gets the death penalty, or as a contestant on Death ball." Everyone noddingly agreed, then continued to watch the news.

 

Mary Lee read out the next news story "In related news, Legendary Hero; Captain Gina Rhodes was spotted leaving the Slum District, around the same time after Heinrich was captured. Stacey Watson has the news."

Nick remembered how she ambushed him with questions, without having time to prepare himself. "Thanks, Mary. I am here at the gates of the Slum District. A hive of Britain's worst, all pilled together. And in this hive of scum and wrongdoing was the Hero of the Grand War, Captain Gina Rhodes. I was able to interview her as she was leaving, but then my attention was drawn to someone else who was with her." Everyone looked surprised when they saw Zeus on the monitor. (Not knowing that he was in the crowd, without his armour on.) "A mysterious man in silver metallic armour, was with Captain Rhodes. I tried to interview him earlier this morning. But Gina and her soldiers ended the interview before I could get an answer from him. I was able to get his name, however. (not his real name, but the name Gina addressed him by) He appears to go by the name Zeus. Much about him is still a mystery. I reached out to Midas Industries earlier for further comment, but they have refused to comment at this time. Stacy Watson, Reporting for EMD News, The Slum District.”

 

As the report ended, the train for the Piccadilly Line Platform had arrived. "Mind the gap. Mind the gap." Said the underground speakers, as passengers on the train got off. Nick was able to get onto the train and find an empty chair to sit on. After the doors closed, the train then started to move. Nick looked at the map and saw that Covent Garden was only 5 stops away. He then decided to pass the time by playing Stacky Block, a tile matching game on his phone.

 

After the train made 4 stops to drop off and pick up more passengers, a group of 3 suspicious looking people got on the opposite side of the cart that Nick was on. They are members of The Lost; a group that Nick met earlier that morning, not to mention cutting their leaders arm off. Each of them was different in appearance. One was a tall white male, with a shaved head and had several scars across his body. Another was a skinny teenage boy, (round 15-16 years old) wearing a mesh shirt and an old bobble hat. The last was a dark-skinned woman, wearing large hoop earrings and dreadlocks that go down to her waist. The passengers knew these people were trouble, but decided not to do or say anything, in fear of getting hurt. The tall one walked up to one of the passengers and got a jagged blade out from his inside jacket pocket, while the young one stood on an empty seat, next to the passenger.

 

"Good day, sir." said the skinny Lost member, being all friendly, but really coming across as wired. "My friend here needs money for his poor old mother’s kidney operation. So, we were wondering if you could help him out if you know what I mean." 

The passenger looked scared, but he chooses to keep calm and not panic, despite having a knife being near his face. He then took a deep breath. "I'm afraid I cannot help you with this matter. I have better things to do, then give my money to thugs like you."

The women got out a makeshift gun and pointed it to his face. "You might want rethink what you just said. Scar is in no mood for your bullshit."

Scar then spoke "That’s ok, Kisha. Clearly this man will not be handing us any money. So, we need to remind of what happens when you no to The Lost"

The passenger started to look more nervous than before. "What... what do you mean by that?"

Scar looked at him with sadistic glee in his eyes "Here, I'll show you what I mean. Daps, move out of the way"       

"Ok, whatever you say." Daps got off the seat and Scar then put his right hand round the man's throat and lifted him up, all while the other passengers looked on in horror.

The man struggled to breath and talk at the same time, as Scar's hand gripped even tighter around his neck. "Ok...ok... I … I'll... pay you!"

"It's little late for that. Once someone says no to me, they always pay the price." Scar then punched the man who then began to start coughing out blood.

 

Nick was on the other side of the cart, as all this was taking place. He knew that no one was going to do anything to stop them from killing the civilian. He was half tempted to transform into Zeus to stop them, but that would mean exposing his identity to everyone, not to mention the CCTV cameras that are placed on the train. He had no choice but to fight them without his armour. Nick stood up with courage and spoke out against them. "Put him down!"

Scar and the others looked at where that voice came from. "How cute" scar laughed in disbelief. "am I expected to take orders from a kid like you?!"

Nick stood his ground. "I won't ask you again! Let the man go, or you'll end up regretting it!" 

Scar ignored Nick and spoke to his followers " Kisha, Daps, deal with this kid. I have more important things to do."

"No problem, Scar" replied Daps. While Kisha nodded. The two of them walked up to Nick, both brandishing a weapon and a look of intimidation on their faces.

 

Kisha pointed a gun at Nicks face, at point blank range "You really should learn when to stay out of things that shouldn't concern you, kid." Daps twirled his nunchakus around. "Now we have to put you in your place. I'm going to have fun making you beg for mercy"

Nick made a witty comeback "what, just like one of your guys did earlier today?"

"What are you talking about?" Asked Kisha

"I heard on the news that a member of the Lost cried like a little b***h, when someone named Zeus cut his arm off. Knowing that, doesn't make me scared of you guys, so I don't know why you're even bothering."

The passengers applauded Nick for speaking out against them, but Kisha then fired her gun into the ceiling, silencing the applause's. "SHUT UP!" She screamed in protest "I will not have anyone slag our gang off! Is that understood!?" Nick knew that she had just let her guard down and use this as an opportunity to strike. He grabbed the arm which she used to carry her gun with his left hand, used his right elbow on her stomach and throw her to the ground. "What the..." She said in disbelief, to what was happening to her. After being throw to the floor, Nick punched her in the face, to knock her out.

 

Daps could not believe what he was seeing, after Nick managed to beat Kisha to the ground. He spun his nunchaku and went ahead to attack Nick. "You F****r!! You'll pay for that, with your blood!!" Daps clearly was not thinking straight as he swung his nunchaku at random. Nick picked up Kisha's gun, and rather than shooting Daps in the legs, he just threw the gun at his face. "ow, you twat! I can't see!" Daps tripped over on his own feet and fall to the ground, after hitting his head on a pole used by passengers when they do not have a seat.

 

"Now that’s an embarrassing way to lose a fight. Alright Scar, fancy giving up, before you share the same fate as your friends?"  Scar could not believe his own men could be beaten this easily by a teenager. He released the man from his clutches and crunched his knuckles. "You've just signed you own death warrant, kid! Prepare to die!"

Nick was ready for him. "Bring it, Baldly!" Scar then charged at Nick, like a mad bull at a Bullfighting event. Nick ran towards him, with intent on bringing him down. Scar was about to give him a right hook hard enough to break his skull. Nick, however had a different idea on how to take him down. As Scar tried to hit Nick, he instead saw Nick drop and slide onto and floor and without warning. He gave Scar a hard kick in his kneecaps and went pass under his legs. Scar screamed in absolute pain, as he fell to the ground, clinging to his broken knees.

 

Nick got up, swiping any dirt he might caught on his jacket and trouser while sliding on the floor. "Have you had enough now?" He said, feeling victorious, as the people applauded his win against them. Scar was in too much pain to even reply, but he was able to get a few words out. "How...the f**k...were... you able to... do all that?"  Nick answered his question, pride. "I'm glad you asked. It turns out all those martial-arts lessons at school do come in handy, for moment like these." Just then the man Scar tried to kill approached Nick. "Young lad, my name is Dr Roger Stone and I believe I should thank you for saving my life, and the lives of everyone on this train. Tell me, is there anything I can to repay you?"

"Thank you, Doctor, but that won't be necessary. I did what needed to be done because it was the right thing to do. I was never looking to be rewarded." That got Nick another round of applause from the passengers.

The train speaker went off "The next stop in Covent Garden."

"That’s my stop." Nick shook the doctor hand. "Take care of yourself Doctor. I've got thing to do."

As the train stopped at Covent Garden, Xerxes soldiers entered the train, armed to the teeth.

"Nobody moves! We have had reports that a group of people from The Lost Gang have infiltrated this train. Everyone remains calm and we'll deal with this matter shortly."

"Sorry to disappoint you" said Nick, showing them the Lost gang, he knocked to the ground "I've already dealt with your problem."

The Xerces commander approached Nick "You should have let us do are job, kid. You have no authority to deal with these scum"

The doctor came to Nicks defence "But if he didn't do anything, those men would have killed me. And I have him here to thank, for saving my life" The other passengers also spoke in Nicks defence.

The Commander seemed convinced by everyone's statement about what happened. "Very well. Everyone leaves the train! We'll handle these criminals."

 Everyone stood up and began to leave. Nick left the train, not before looking at Scar and his gang, who in turn looked back at him with a look of vengeance in his eyes. "Hey kid! I might have been impressed with your skills if you were one of us. But I just want to remind you of one thing: If I see your face again, I will kill you and everyone you’ve ever loved."

Nick didn't take his threat seriously "yes, that's nice. Please be sure not to drop the soap when you're the prison b***h in the showers." Nick then got off the train, with a sense of achievement and a hungrier stomach.  

 

 

 

 

 

chapter 6: Meal for four

 

January 1st, 2295, 14:35, Covent Garden, UK

 

Nick finally arrived at Covent Garden, after climbing up more than 100 stairs to the surface, since the lift was out of order (as they normally are, in the UK). After leaving the station he noticed a news van, in which he saw Stacey Watson and her news camera head towards the station.

"Are you sure, about this, Stacey?" Asked the camerabot.

  "Absolutely!" She replied. "Hearing a Lost gang have infiltrated the city is always news gold for reporters. And I am going to be the first to get my hands on the story. Who knows, I might even come across Zeus again!" Stacey approached Nick. "Excuse me, sir, can you tell what platform the Lost were on?"

Nick replied to her question. "It was the Piccadilly Line. But you will need to take the stairs, as the lift is broken"

“Thank you.” As Stacey and her Cam-bot went downstairs to report on the incident. They had no idea that they had just spoken to the guy who took down the gang and was also Zeus. Nick walked off laughing a little at the missed opportunity Stacey could have had speaking with him.

 

Nick made his way to the Covent Garden Shopping Centre. The entire place was filled Tokyo-looking neon lighting, holographic advertisements telling you to drink Fizz-Wizz, and people either shopping for the latest Must-Have items, dining at the best restaurants and not seeming to care about the troubles of the world. Nick looked at the map of the shopping centre, to see where he should go to eat. He noticed Restaurants with names like Lou Chou's Buffet, The Nutty Eater, The Grand old Chippy. But the one that caught his interest the most was The Jolly Postie; a Pub/Restaurant themed in the style of a 20th century British post office, which is found downstairs on the northeast side of the building. After Nick finished reading the map, he went downstairs to The Jolly Postie. Once inside, he was impressed by the amount of detail that has gone into making the restaurant look and feel like a 20th century post office.

 

 A waitress dressed like a post lady approached Nick. "Can I help you, sir?"

Nick turned to the waitress "I'd like a table for one, please."

"Certainly, sir. Follow me, please"

Nick followed the waitress, passing by various table, that were already occupied by other customers dining on their meals or engaging in conversation. She showed Nick to Table Number 24, which was a Rectangle shaped table, with four seats. "I do apologize, sir" said the waitress. "This is the only table we can spare at the moment."

"That’s ok. I'll take what I can get."

Nick sat down at the table, unzipping his jacket, and placed it behind the chair that he chooses to sit on. The waitress then handed Nick the menu. "Here is the menu, sir. I will return shorty to take your order."

The waitress then walked off to serve another customer, while Nick looked at the Menu and tried to figure out what he should have. Looking at the several types of food that were on the menu. He was about to decide what to eat & drink, until he heard a familiar female voice, at the entrance

 

"What do you mean you don't have any more tables?!" said the voice in protest.

"I'm sorry ma'am" replied the waitress, doing what she can to calm the situation "We just can't spare anymore tables, now. You could wait for one of the customers to be finished with theirs, or you could go elsewhere."

Nick turned to the entrance of the restaurant to see who was causing a commotion. To his surprise, the person who was pissed off at the waitress was Ann Shang, along with her mother Mei Shang, as well as her stepbrother James Hunter. These were the people Nick shared his seats with on the train to London. They also where still carrying the suitcases, full of their stuff.

"Elsewhere?! There isn't anywhere else to bloody eat!"

James tried to calm Ann down. "Sis, please relax. I know you're hungry, and that Matt couldn't let us stay round his, but there's no need to take it out on other people."

Ann took a deep sigh "Sorry, James. But with all we have gone thought today, we at least deserve a break from it all."

Then her Mum stepped in "It is not the end of the world, Ann. I'm sure there are other places we can grab a bite at."

Disappointment showed on Ann's face. "You're right." She then spoke to the waitress “I'm sorry for taking my anger out on you. You're just doing your job, and no one can blame you for it."

"That is ok, ma'am. I'm sure you'll be able to somewhere else to go."

Nick got up from his seat and went to entrance. "I don't think that'll necessary."

"Do we know you?" Ask Mei, wondering if she had seen him before.

"I'd figured you'd might have forgotten about me. I am Nick Adams. I was the one who let you all sit next to me, on the train to London."

"Oh yeah, now I remember who you are" replied James, realizing who he was.

"You appear to be having trouble finding seats, again. Luckily, I was given a four-seated table, because it was the only one, they had available. I'd be willing to offer my table to you"

A look of surprise and joy landed on Ann's face, as she could not believe what Nick was saying. "Really? You'd be willing to do that for us?"

"Sure, why not. Besides, eating in a restaurant by myself makes me look lonely to everyone else."

"Thank you so much." Replied Mei "It's rare to see such generosity from teenagers these days."

"Follow me. I'll show you where I'm sitting"

 

Mei, Ann & James picked up their suitcases and followed Nick to his table. Nick was the first to sit down, followed by Ann sitting next to him, while Mei and James sat next to each other.

The waitress seemed glad that Nick was able to calm the situation down. "Well...Now that we've cleared all that up. What would you like to Drink?"

Nick was the first to order "I'll have a chocolate milkshake, please"

Ann went next. "Diet coke for me, please."

Followed by James "Lemon & Lime Sparkling water, please"

And finally, Mei "I'll just have some water, please" 

The waitress noted down their orders on her tablet "Very good. I will return shortly with your drinks" she then walked off to collect the drinks.

Ann thanked Nick, on how he was able to help them out, twice on the same day "Honestly, Thank you so much for this, Nick. I swear you must be some sort of guardian angel."

"To be honest; I just happen to be here at the right place at the right time"

James chipped in with a joking remark. "Next thing you'll be telling us is that you're that Zeus guy, the news has been talking about."

Nick looked nervous when James said that, but quickly responded to his comment. "Yeah, as if. I'm just an average teenager, not a superhero."

"Well, regardless, we are very grateful for this, Nick." Said Mei in a thankful "I apologize for the way my daughter was acting today. She isn't really like this."

"Mum, please. It is ok. I'm all calmed down, knowing my stomach will be full soon."

"It wasn't just an empty stomach that made you lose your rag today, sis."

Ann tried not to look pissed off "Don't remind me. I mean, how the hell could he just turn us away, after he promised we'd stay with him?!"

Nick wondered what she meant, so he asked James and Mei "What is she talking about?"

"Would you like me to give him the detail?" Asked Mei to her daughter.

"You might as well. You'd tell him anyway, even without my permission."

"What is happen is that Ann's now-ex-boyfriend, Matt Bennet, promised us that we could stay round his new flat. Well it is his grandads flat, which he got as a reward for serving in the Grand war. However,..."

Ann saw the waitress "Hang on, mum, the drinks are here"

 

The waitress then returned with the drinks, served on a round transparent tray. "I'm back with the Drinks." She placed the tray on the table, so everyone can grab the drink they ordered. After they got theirs drinks, the waitress aid got her tablet ready to take each of their food orders. "Are you ready to order your meals?"

 

Everyone got their menus ready's and each one said which meal they wanted to order.

Ann was the first to make her order. "I think I'll have the Scampi & Chips, please."

James went next "I'll have the BBQ ribs, please."

Followed by Mei "The Chicken & Mushroom pie for me, please."

And finally nick. "and I'll have Margherita Pizza, please"

The waitress jotted down each of their orders on the tablet. "ok then, I will be back with your meals, within ten minutes. Till then, enjoy your drinks"

The waitress walks off to collect their meals and Mei went back to talking to Nick.

"As I was saying. Matt was going to let us Stay at his grandads new flat, but he forgot to mention that his granddad is one of those old-fashion racists. His words were, and I apologize in advance for the crude language I am about to say. He said: "I didn't fight a war to have my new home taken over by a monkey and his two U.A.A freeloaders! (His words, not mine.)"

Ann stopped drinking her coke to chip in on the conversation. "I was half tempted to punch the racist-old-fart in the face. But I remind myself that I should never start a fight."

"You would have thought he would remember to tell us that little bit of information, before we packed are things and left Stevenage." James responded with bafflement, in Matts inability to remined them of his granddad.

 

"So, what are you going to do now, can't you just go back to Stevenage, or aren't you able to do so?" Ask a concerned Nick

"We can't go back." Replied James. "There are reasons, for which we can't say, for why we can't go back home. I wish it were easy. But sadly, it's no longer possible."

Ann did give Nick an idea of what they might do. "we may have to find a small flat to rent. We will have enough money to last us a month. So, we are going to have to look for work, to support ourselves." She let out a disappointed sigh. “It’s going to be hell for the three of us, but we'll manage somehow."

 

Nick pondered for a good long minute on how he might be able to help them in their struggle. Then he had an idea "Why don't you all come live with me?"

The three at once stopped drinking, when Nick said that.

"Are you serious?!" Said a surprised James.

"That is truly kind of you, Nick. But I do not think that will be needed. I am sure we can manage simply fine. Beside we do not want to be refuges, in need for charity." Replied Mei in a "Thanks-but-no-thanks" manner. "Also, we are not sure if you home can spare any room, for the three of us. Where do you live, by the way?"

And without hesitating, Nick said. "Billionaires Roads."

Those words made the Three go frozen stiff with shock.

"Bill...bill...bill...Billionaires Road?!" James asked while trying to get his words together.

"You live in that place, where only the mega rich live?!" Asked Ann, In complete disbelief.

"Well technically I'm actually living at my uncle's place."

"And who is your uncle, and what does he do for a living?" Questioned Mei.

"My uncle? His name is William Stenhouse. He's the Founder & CEO of Midas Industries."

They looked at Nick, in even more shock then before, and said nothing.

 

Nick saw the waitress arriving with their meal. "Ah, I think are food is here" although the others remained motionless and silent, from Nick earlier comment.

"I'm back, again. Here are your meals." The waitress gave each of their orders on the table. She looked at Ann, Mei and James who were frozen still. "Are your friends feeling alright, sir?"

"Their ok. I think they're just having a bit of brain-freeze from the cold drinks."

"If you say so, sir. Well, please enjoy your meals, everyone. I will return once you have finished."

"Thank you."

The waitress left the 4 of them, again. Ann, James, and Mei finally snapped out of it.

Ann was the first to talk "So let me get this straight. You are the nephew of William Stenhouse? THE founder of Midas Industries?!"

"Correct." Replied Nick

"Oh my god!" Responded all three of them, in unison.

"I'm not sure if we can still accept offer, Nick." Responded Mei, while trying not to lose her composure. "I mean, offering the train seats and the meal is one thing, but this may be a bit much."

Her daughter suggested otherwise, and she spoke to her in Mandarin, to keep what they say private. "Come on, mum! What is the alternative; Living in a crummy mega-flat, while desperately looking for a low-wage job, that may not cover the rent?! This guy is giving us a roof to live under. We may not get a chance like this again. We might as well take it"

Mei replied in Mandarin "But how do we know if we can trust him?! Oh sure, he seems nice, but what if he just wants us to live with him because he has a thing for Asian women?! If I am being honest, I would rather we find our own place, then depend on the kindness of strangers."

"I think this guy has proven to be trusting, mum. I know we have met a lot of self-important pricks in our lives. But he seems like an honest man."

"Don't forget, he's also, a billionaire's nephew. Children from rich families tend to grow being spoilt and self-centred. Only caring about their parent's money and the fancy cars. Remember what I told you about my family?"

"I did. And you said that kicking you out of the family was a blessing in disguise. And Besides, Nick hasn't even mentioned his upbringing yet"

"Well, why don't you ask him about them?!"

"Ok, I will!"

After a lengthy conversation, spoken mostly in mandarin. Ann turned to Nick and spoke in English. "Sorry about that. Mum and I were just seeing if you can be trusted. Personally, I think you have shown me and my family that you can be trusted. But my mum wants to know about how you brought up."

 

Nick was surprised when she said that, but he decided to answer it, in the best way he can. "Well...To be honest. I have never really grown in a rich environment. My parents wanted me to try and live a normal life. At an early age, I was annoyed that they would not let us live with my uncle, at his manor. But, growing up, I came to realise that what they did for me helped me become a harder working and self-sufficient person."

 

Mei looked impressed by Nicks answer "Your parents sound like good people. Are they with you in London, or did you decided live your uncle, so you can go into business with him?"

 

Nick had a mixture of sadness and a look uncertainty on how to answer that question on his face. He took a deep breath and gave her an answer. "My parents are dead. They were killed by a Black Death soldier, while we were leaving a News year day party. The robot could have killed me but decided to destroy itself. After that, I decided to go stay with my uncle, so that I could be safe. That is when I bumped into you lot on the train. I was not really being honest with you when I said why I was going to London. But I'm sure you can understand why."

 

James, Ann, and Mei all looked at each other with shock and silence, after hearing Nicks words. "I am truly sorry for your loss." Said Mei, while Ann put her hand on Nicks shoulder to show sympathy.

"It's ok, Mei. But I swear to you, I will make Thanatos pay for taking them from me. I hope that when Zeus catches him, I will be there to watch his execution. His suffering should be equal to that of his victims."

James looked a bit worried for Nick wellbeing. "Wow, that pretty dark, man. But... I guess I cannot blame. Losing your parents at an early age can mess you up in a lotta ways. I just hope you don't your vengeance consume you."

"Thanks, James. But don' worry about me. If I am living at my uncle's place, I'm safe." Nick took a sip of his milkshake "So are you still interested in living with me, at my uncle's place?"

After all Nick had said, Mei had an answer. "Ok, we'll accept your offer. We might be safe from any Black Death attacks."

"Plus, we might also be able to avoid being found by you-know-who." Chipped in James.

"Quite right, James"

"I take it you're hiding from someone" questioned Nick

"I think the less you know the better." Replied Ann.

""Very well, then. Come on, let us eat!"

The four of them grabbed their cutlery and started tucking into their meals. Each time they took a bite, they savoured each taste, as if it were made from the heavens. 10-15 minutes later, they had finished their food and drinks. "uhhhh, my stomach is stuffed" Nick said, while putting his hands on his stomach.

Ann had her own opinion. "I feel like I'm going to explode."

"Should I call the waitress, and ask her for the bill, or can any of you handler having Afters?" (Afters is what the people of the UK refer to as dessert)

James heard his stomach making noises. "I don't we should have dessert."

"Then it is decided. The bill it is."

Mei sipped the last of her drink and answered, "I think that would be wise."

Nick pressed a button on the table, which called the waitress over, to their table. The waitress made her way to Nicks table. "Are you all finished? Did you enjoy your meals?"

"Oh, we did." Said a stuffed Nick "Can we have our bill please?"

"I'm afraid, that won't be necessary, sir"

Nick and the others were a little confused, as to why she said that.

"My manager would like to have word you. He is on is way now"

"What does he want with me?"

"He didn't really say, to be honest" the waitress turned around and saw her boss approaching. "Here he is now."

A man in a blue suit approached Nick's table. This was clearly the manager of the Jolly Postie restaurant, as he had the look of running a business on his face. "Hello, sir. I am glad that you have taken to eating at this fine restaurant."

Nick did his best to respond to the manager, while not making a fool of himself. "It was no problem at all, mister. I only really came here because I let my stomach make the decision."

"Even so, sir. Your presence here, helps are business in a lot of ways."

Ann spoke to her in Mandarin. "What is with this guy?"

"I have no idea. But I suggest we say nothing." Replied her mum

"Look, I really would like to have the bill, please."

"You would need needing to pay any bill today, sir"

"and why is that?"

"Don't you know? You've become a bit of a hero today."

Nick was a little worried his secret identity was discovered. "I'm sure this has been a bit of a misunderstanding."

The manager looked at the waitress. "Show them, Claire." The waitress used her tablet to show Nick the news report of him beating up the three Lost gangs, that he fought on the underground. The images shown were clearly taken from the train’s CCTV cameras. Not only that she displayed the article on all the monitors of every table in the restaurants.

Ann looked at the article and was amazed by Nicks heroism. "Wow! You actually took on three of them, all by yourself?"

Nick justified his action "I couldn’t let them kill that doctor. And besides no one seemed to want to save him."

The manager stepped in "Regardless of your actions, this sort of thing deserves a reward."

"Please don't say it a tower size ice-cream. My stomach is full enough, as it is."

"Even better. Claire, how much does it say of their bill?"

Claire looked at her tablet. "Let's see...About £112.80, sir."

"Sir, because of your bravery in standing up to these hooligans. I have decided that the meal you and your friends have had today, will cost you absolutely nothing!"

The four of them were in disbelief when he said that, followed by all the people in the restaurant applauding Nick.

Nick was at a loss for words "I really don't know what to say. I guess I should thank you for this act of generosity."

"Enjoy your reward, sir. You have earned it. Now I must be off, I have a business to run." He looked at the waitress "You can get back to work Claire."

"Yes sir"

 

The manager and the waitress walked off. James looked at Nick, with a smile on his face. "You're full of surprises, Nick. I wonder what other surprises you may have in store for us."

"Honestly, James, I don't really plan on these things happening. Well, should we get going then?"

"yes, definitely." Replied Mei, as she then got up and put her coat on. "Make sure we've got everything, before we." 

Nick put his jacket back on, while everyone else put theirs on, and picked up their bags and suitcases.

"you lead the way, Nick." said Ann, looking happy to be living in a bigger house. "I can't wait to see what your home looks like."

"I'm sure, you won't be disappointed." Replied Nick, in a positive tone. "Follow me, everyone." Nick and the others left the restaurant, and began heading to the underground station, to Billionaire Road.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 7: My home is your home

 

January 1st, 2295, 16:27, London underground, UK

 

"Mind the Gap. Mind the gap" said the underground speakers, as the train from the Piccadilly line arrived at Billionaire Road. When the train stopped, and the doors opened. Nick got off the train, followed by Ann, James, and Mei walking behind him. The three were amazed at how clean and well-maintained Billionaires Road Station was, compared to other tube stations London have.

"I've got to give the Brits credit." James said, being impressed at the rich and fancy architecture of the Billionaires Road Station. "They know how to make subway stations look presentable. Preferably if their rich."

Nick replied with a good comeback "The same could be said about America. Given to how they love making things look and feel big, especially the people."

James chuckled a bit at Nicks comment "oh, that is true." He let out a small sigh "I just wished America had free healthcare. God knows, a lot of people are in real need of help."

"I wouldn’t worry about it" assured Nick "I'm sure that once the Black Death have been dealt with, the governments of the world should focus on helping their people."

Ann chipped in "I highly doubt it, Nick. Normally, whenever a war is over, (especially on terrorism) politicians tend to focus on their own needs, rather than the needs of others. We can only do so much to help others when the world goes to hell. That is what you told me once before, mum?"

"I've told you many things about how to survive in a dog-eat-dog world, Ann." Replied her mum. "But they'll be things you'll have to learn by yourself." She smiled and gave her daughter a kiss on the right cheek "Like what I did when I first had you."

Ann looked a little embarrassed, as she wiped her right cheek, with her hand. "Mum, please, we're in a public place!"

"I've kissed you on the cheek many times, dear, even in public. I'm just showing how much I care about you."

"Can you care about me with just your words instead, mum? I am 15 years old. Not a little girl."

Nick spoke to Mei "I guess, A mother's work is truly done, no matter how old they are."

"You can say that again, Nick." Replied Mei "But regardless of what she might think of the way I show my affection for her, she will always be my pride and Joy."

Ann responded to her mum's comment, in mandarin "And you'll always be my number one mum."

"You know, Sometimes I wish I could speak Chinese." Said a slightly annoyed James. "That way I could try and join in on their conversations."

"Well we tried to help you learn the language. But when me and mum tried to teach you, you just end up giving up 30 minutes later, due to you finding Mandarin difficult to understand."

"I just can't understand how you're able to speak two languages, with ease."

Ann smugly replied "Well, growing up with a mum who speaks Mandarin, and myself being half-Chinese have their perks."

 

The group made their way to the escalators, leading to the surface. They noticed all the advertising boards had change to the top news story, that has gotten everyone's attention. The boards had an image of Zeus, taken from the morning news report, with the caption: WHO IS ZEUS? THE HERO WE NEED OR ANOTHER EXPENDABLE ASSET? YOU BE THE JUDGE.

Nick looked at the boards with a small sense of pride and a bit of worry. He looked at his new friends and wondered he should one day tell them his secret identity. He feared that if he told them, it might put them in danger or they might be tempted to tell the media his identity, if media offered a cash reward. Nick decided not to tell them, until he felt they can fully trust them with anything.

 

As they got off the escalator, they then had to go through the ticket barrier, but not before Ann, Mei and James placed their bags through the scanner. Each of the bags where scanned to make sure they were no illegal items packed inside their bags such as: non-licensed firearms, illegal drugs, blunt/sharp weapons, homemade bombs, or any pro-terrorist paraphernalia.

The Xerxes guard who was scanning each of the bags on his computer. Making sure that each of the bags were clean of anything illegal. After a minute of scanning, the light went Green "Ok" said the guard. "You lot are all clear." The group felt relieved when they were told they could move along. Ann, Mei, and James picked up their bags and proceeded to follow Nick up the stairs to the surface.

 

The group climbed up the stairs leading to the surface to Billionaires Road. "So, is your uncle currently staying at his mansion? Asked a concerned Mei to Nick "Will he be ok with us staying there?"

Nick replied to her question "Don't worry, Ms Shang. My uncles currently away on business purposes, so I do not think he will be home for quite a long while. But I'm sure he'll be okay with me bringing people over."

They made their way to the surface, to Billionaires Road, after walking up the stairs. Ann and James could not believe how many mansions there were, and how nice and fancy they all looked.

"which one these houses are you're uncles?" Ask Ann, who was a bit lost for words when she saw how many mansions there were.

Nick pointed to Ann's right. "44 is where I'm living, which is over there"

The three turned to where Nick was pointing, and where amazed by the size of the mansion that he was living in. James wanted to say what Brits likes to say when shocked at something. "Bugger me!"

"My uncle said he based his mansion on the old Victorian era Mansions. He was always trying to preserve Britain's forgotten history, after the Royal Purge. "

"Your uncle has a great taste in culture. The world needs people like him, preserving the history of old. So much of that history and culture was lost, during The Grand War" Replied Mei.

 

"If you think the outside looks amazing." Nick said, while almost sounding like a tour-guide. "Just wait till you lot see what's inside the mansion."

 

Nick and the other made their way to the gates of the Mansion, which opened sideways, allowing the group to head to the mansion's front door.

Walking down the pathway to the front door, James had a question for Nick. "So, you are the only one living here, right? No servants or anything? Just yourself?"

Nick replied "Whenever my uncle goes on a business trip, he usually takes his staff with him. Since he rarely sees me and my parents, because of his work. So, He treats his staff like a second family."

"A guy like him must get really lonely, not being able his see real family" asked Ann.

Mei looked a little sad, when hearing about Nick's Uncle situation. Her face had a look that said, "I know just how he feels." But she did not say anything, because what was on her mind felt personal.

 

Nick got the key to the mansion entrance from his left trouser pocket and placed it into the door locks. After the door was unlocked, he placed his hand on the door handle and turned to his friends. "Ok everyone. set you faces to Wow."

Nick opened the door revealing the inside on his uncle's manor. Ann, James, and Mei were astounded by the mixture of the Victorian decor, inside the mansion, with a bit of the modern tech surrounding it.

Ann was almost lost for word. But she was able to get out a sentence. "oh my god! This is incredible! I can't believe we're actually staying inside a mansion!" She could not help but show her excitement, like a giddy Asian schoolchild. Not before her mum gave her a gentle slap on the back of her head.

"Calm yourself, Ann." Responded Mei, to her daughter's overreaction. "Please try to behave yourself, when a guest welcomes you into their home."

"Sorry, mum." Ann replied, while calming herself down.

 

 

Apollo made himself known to the group "Welcome back, sir. How was your trip to Convent Garden?"

Mei seemed surprised when Apollo made himself known "I didn't expect to encounter an A.I."

"Greeting, madam. I am Apollo. You must be a new friend of Master Adams."

"that is correct. My Name is Mei Shang" Mei then introduced Apollo to Ann and James "This is my daughter Ann and my stepson James Hunter"

"Greeting to both of you, Miss Shang and Mr Hunter"

"Hey there." Replied James. "I can't believe Nick has an A.I Butler."

Nick took his Jacket off and placed it on a nearby coat hanger. "I guess you can all leave your suitcases and bags over by the old Grandfather clock. And I could give you a tour of the mansion if you interested."

"Sure, it will help us get more familiar with the place." Replied Ann, while the other unzip the coats and place their luggage by the Grandfather clock.

James looked both to the left and right side of the mansion and asked Nick "So Which room should we start with?"

Nick looked to where the right side of the mansion is and started from there. "Well, we could start with the living room and work our way around the ground floor first, before going upstairs. I will be honest with you; I am not really that familiar with this place. So, this will be a first time for me as well." He rubbed his hands together then proceeded to show them the living room.

 

As they entered the living room, Ann was impressed on the way how retro the whole room felt. With its mixture of both Victorian furniture modern features. Ann was impressed on how well presentable the room was. "Check out the décor on this place." She said in awe. "Your uncle spares no expense, Nick."

He replied "That’s nothing. He once told me he had even got the most advance Holo-graphic Tv on the market."

"You're not talking about the new 100K model, with over 5000 channels, are you? Asked James "Those things aren’t officially released to the general public, until March."

"Well, when you the Founder & CEO of the biggest corporation in the world, you can get all sorts of things."

"I guess so. Kind of shame he not here much to use all this."

"Ah well. At least me and any guest can get to use them. So, it won't feel like a waste of money to him." Nick had an idea. "oh, watch this. Apollo, Play some lounge music."

"Certainly, Sir" Suddenly relaxing New Age lounge music, that you would hear at a spa, started playing in the living room, at 25% volume. Ann swayed her hips a little to the music. "It's no electronic, but I'm liking those beats".

"If that electric music was playing right now, you'd be dancing like mad on the sofa." responded her mum. "I never understood why like that kind of music."

"Isn't that the fun of being a teenager, to annoy the older generation?"

Her mum resented that comment "Watch it, Ann. I'm only 35, so don't call me old just yet." Nick looked at Mei, and was surprised on how youthful she looked for a woman in her mid-30's. But he dared not say anything, so as not to give the wrong impression.

James looked at the bookcases and spoke to Nick "Are those real printed books?"

"They sure are." Answered Nick "You wouldn’t believe how much it costs to buy an old book, that weren't destroyed during the Grand War. Normally, a Book from the 20th century and in mint condition would be worth over £20000."

Ann gave her comment on the old books "But people don't even bother to read them. They mostly just put them on a shelf and boost about their collection, like they would with an exotic car. I do not why rich people buy crap, but never use it. It just seems like a waste of money." She then looked at her mum. "Another thing you taught me."

Mei smiled and kissed her daughter on the cheek again "and I'm glad you didn't bankrupt me."

Ann was embarrassed again, and wiped her cheek "God sake, mum. Will you please stop embarrassing me?!"

Mei smugly responded with one word "Never."

 

"Shall we continue with the tour?" Asked Nick, hoping to change the subject.

"Sure. lead the way." replied James.

They made their way from the living room and into the Dining room. Which had a large wooden round table, with 18 chairs surrounding it. The table was displayed with some of the finest designed plates from Europe, and the cutlery was exquisitely detailed and laid out accordingly. There was also a large bouquet of Sunflowers as a centrepiece for the table. William was known to be an enthusiastic fan of Sunflowers, during his childhood. Surrounding the dining room were an array of Paintings of either William or the famous Pre-destroyed English landscapes before the Grand War. There was also displays cases containing old relics from around the world that also survived, during the war. Such relics include the last ever Gold cartridge of Nintendo World Championship, A surviving copy of the 15th century catholic bible, a brick from the first Mexican Wall, and a soldiers M16 rifle which survived an air raid.

 

Mei seemed impressed by the fine dining displayed on the table. She looked at how the plates had tastefully designed patterns around them, the fact she sees her reflection in the plate, and how the cutlery was made from stainless steel, rather than the cheap iron in which there normally made of. "I would never be able to afford any of this." She said, with bewilderment. "I'm lucky enough if I can pay the rent for the bar."

"Saying that, what's going to happen with our old home in Stevenage?" Ask a concerned Ann.

"Don't worry, Sis" replied James. "As long as Dad stays safe, thing will be ok."

Mei looked at little sad, while looking at her wedding ring "Victor should be here with us. We should not have left him back home. What if he gets killed?"

James reassured Mei "Dads a cop. He'll handle whatever get thrown his way."

"I hope your right, James. I never even got to kiss him goodbye before we left."

Ann placed her hand on her mum's shoulder. "it's all right, mum. I'm sure this whole thing will blow over soon."

 

 "So, dose anyone want to move on to the kitchen?" Asked Nick, hoping to lighten the mood.

"Sure." Replied Ann "I wouldn't be surprised if you have a fridge that can store over 100 types of cold food."

The four made their way to the large kitchen, which was styled with black cupboards and white table surfaces, with floors having a glossy wooden shine, which were being cleaned by a small hoverbot.

Ann saw the fridge and noticed how wide it was. "I told you there would be a big fridge." She turned to Nick. "Can I have a look inside?"

"Go ahead." He answered. "I'm interested in see what inside it as well."

Ann placed her hand on the metallic handle of the fridge. She pulled the door towards her, considering on how strong the door was, but she had no problem getting it open. After the door was opened, Nick, James and Ann were jaw dropped on the amount of food on the 5 shelves inside the fridge. Starting from the top: the first two shelves are where many of the dairy products were kept, like the Butter, Cheese, yogurt, and many different flavours of ice-cream. Although these products were made for rich people, as they tend to be made from rare and expensive ingredients. The third shelf had packets that held different slices of meat such as Chicken, ham, bacon, and sausages.

"Jesus!" Said James in disbelief on the amount in the fridge. "there's enough in here to feed a small army."

While the three were looking inside the fridge, Mei was looking inside the cupboards. And saw something that caught her eyes. "You're not going to believe this, Ann."

"Humour me, Mum"

"There's a huge array of crisps in this cupboard, including your favourites: Crispy Seaweed."

Ann at once ran to her mum, after hearing her say that. "Please tell me there's duck flavoured seaweed?" She said, in determined excitement. She then noticed a pink coloured packet of crispy seaweed, which is the duck flavour, Ann’s favourite flavour. Already she had a look in her eyes suggesting that she was going to grab the packet.

But her mum gave her a soft tap on the back of her head. "Don't be greedy, dear. You've already had a big meal from earlier."

"Sorry, mum." Ann returned to her usual self.

Mei then noticed some of the other kitchen appliances. "is that an auto-oven?" She then walked up to the Auto-oven and was impressed by the many features it had. "self-cleaning, anti-fire safeguards, and an auto-heat for the proper food used. I'd need a serious down payment if I ever wanted one of these."  

 

 

"Hey, check this out!" called out James, while looking at another appliance. "it's one of those new Auto Drinks Makers. Apparently, this thing can conjure up any drink to your hearts content."       

"I could do with a chocolate milk, mixed with caramel." Responded Nick. "but I'm still a bit stuffed from earlier."

 

Just then Nicks phone went off. He saw that it was a call from his uncle, so he answered it. "Quiet, everyone. My uncle is calling me" He put the phone on video call. His uncle then as a hologram, coming out of his phone.

"Hello, Nick. I take it you've looked at the afternoon news for London?" William sounded serious when he said that.

"You mean the headline where an arms dealer was arrested by some guy in high-tech armour?" Nick felt proud of himself when he said the next one. "Or is it the one in which I beat the crap out of three Knives gangs and saved a man's life?"

"I wouldn't boost about this, Nick. Considering what happened to David & Sarah earlier today, it would be best if you kept a low profile. That way the Black Death won't be able to find you easily."

"What makes you think the Black Death will come after me?"

"You're my nephew. And In my line of work, I have made a lot of enemies over the years to get where I am now. And those enemies are funding the Black Death to take me down. If I were to guess, they may have kept you alive to serve as a warning to get to me." Will then noticed the three behind Nick and seemed surprised that his nephew had visitor with them. "You've brought some guests with you. Aren't you going to introduce them to me?"

"oh, of course." Nick had his new friends in view with his phone, so his uncle can see them better. "Uncle, I'd like to meet Ann Shang..."

Ann waved at William. "Hi there."

"Her mother: Mei Shang..."

Mei gave William a traditional Chinese bow, to show her respect. "It's an honour to meet you, Mr Stenhouse."

"And her stepbrother: James Hunter"

James also waved at William. "Hey, how you are doing?"

William looked at the three and then look at Nick "you've been in London for only a day, and you're already making new friends."

"I've been somewhat of a good Samaritan to these people. First, I let them sit next to me on a crowded train to London. Then I shared my table with them at a restaurant, because everywhere else was full. And I asked them if they would like to stay with me at your place, because they have nowhere else to go, due her ex-boyfriend's racist granddad. Besides, I'd feel a bit lonely living in this big mansion all to myself."     

"I suppose you're right, Nick. But I did not really ask you to stay round mine just so you can turn my mansion into a homeless shelter. However, given the circumstances, I see no harm in having a few friends stay with you."

Mei then approached Nicks phone, so she can speak directly to his uncle. "Don't worry, Mr Stenhouse. I will make sure everyone here pulls their weight around here. In fact, I would ask if I can speak with you privately, if possible, on a matter you might want to hear?"

William seemed interested on what Mei had to say. "ok then, I'll hear what you have to say. I'll just need you phone number, and I'll contact you shortly."

"I'm guessing I can't call you myself?"

"to protect myself, I've had made all my calls on a private number. That way, it can't get traced back to me."

"I see. This won't result in me getting spam mail from your company will it?" Asked a concerned Mei

"Ms Shang, I promise you; I would do no such thing. Especially to a pretty lady, such as yourself."

Mei seemed to object to his last comment. "I'm married." While showing her wedding ring

"Ah well. Still, my work must come before everything else. Or its bound to collapse without me."

Nick then got a pen and notepad from the kitchen counter. "Here you are, Mei. Just write down your number and show it to my uncle. He should call you afterwards."

Mei wrote down her number onto the notepad and then showed it to William. He took a good look at the note, just to be sure he did not get the number wrong. "ok, I think I've got the number down right. I contact you in a few minutes, so you can speak with me."

"Thank you." Replied Mei

"Well, I may as well end the call, so I can speak with Ms Shang. You take care of yourself, Nick"

"Don't worry, Will, I'll survive."

"And be sure to treat your new friends well. Their you're responsibility."

"I'll be sure to offer them my best hospitality."

"see that you do."

"See you later, Will."

 

William then ended the call on Nicks phone. James looked at everyone and decided to say something. "So, what should we do now? Want to continue with the tour?"

Mei responded "Actually, why don't you and the others go to the Living room and watch some TV, while I chat with Mr Stenhouse."

Ann seem happy with that choice and got all excited again. "Hell yeah!" She then ran off to the Living room, while grabbing a few snacks from the kitchen. "I call dibs on the TV!"

James then followed her "I honestly could do with a sit down. I wonder if Cops & Gangbangers is on tonight?"

 

Mei got her phone ready, waiting for William to call her. She looked at Nick. "Go and join the others, Nick. I'll be with you shortly."

"Ok, Mei. Out of curiosity, what are you going to say to my uncle?"

"I'll explain it to you later. Now go hang with the others."

"Alright, I'll make sure we got enough snacks for you." Nick left the Kitchen and proceeded to walk to the Living room, wondering what Mei was going to say to his uncle.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 8: Wrong Channel

 

January 1st, 2295, 15:20, 44 Billionaire Road, London, UK

 

Nick made his way to the Livingroom. He saw Ann sitting down, legs crossed, on the crescent moon shaped sofa, watching the wall mounted Holo-tv, while flipping through each of the channels. James was also sitting on the sofa, although he was looking at the tv guide on his phone, to see if his favourite show was on.

"So, how's the TV?" Nick said to Ann, as he sat down in the middle section of the sofa.

Ann was fixated on how amazing the TV was. But she was able to reply to his question. "I'm beyond words on how awesome this TV is! Normally, I am used to having a television with about 100 channels on it. But since this one has over 5000 on it, with channels from all over the globe. I feel like a kid in a sweet shop."

James gave to his opinion as well. "Also, the 100K resolution display is beyond kickass. The images are sharp and colourful, to the point it looks more like I'm seeing it through as window."

Nick grabbed a piece of crispy seaweed from an open packet. "Well this is my first experience with it, so I'm just as impressed as you lot are."

Ann kept flipping through all the channels the tv had that were available. First, she watched a shopping channel called QPG (Quality Products Galore). The channel mostly sold products exclusive to their store page and were considered too expensive for most people to buy. Normally the channel often has an attractive looking 20 something women, in a revelling outfit showing 80% of their skin, stand next to items they sell, in the hope that some gormless customer will buy it because you put a sexy woman next to it.

Ann looked annoyed at the blatant objectification on screen "I don't understand why some companies can't just be more honest when they advertise their products. And yet the methods they do use feel incredibly lazy and cheap."

James looked as if he had heard her say stuff like this before. "Welcome to the world of capitalism, Sis. Some people will do anything to make a quick buck. No matter how shady they get."

"True, but that doesn't mean I have to like it, But I suppose it gives the model a job. And I do not to voice any complaints if it costs someone their job."

 

Ann then changed it to The Community Channel. A channel dedicated in bringing people together. Although, ironically, it was currently airing one of its more popular shows; Jerry Kyle's: Chav War, a show that exist so the more upper-class citizens have something to sneer and scoff at, while the lower-class fight and shout at each other. Ann gave her opinion on the show and its presenter. "oh god, I can't stand this guy! All he really dose is shout at people less wealthy then him and calls them every horrible name under the sun."

James gave his two cents. "I'm still surprised that someone like him can keep on finding work, despite losing sponsors, every time he gets caught in an affair or his show going a bit too far, like that one time someone killed themselves after failing a lie detector test, even though the results were rigged. I guess Tv viewers just enjoy a show where people lives are more miserable than theirs. America have this same kind of program, except it involves rednecks."

"And that, my brother, is what we in Britain call the Class system."

 

Ann then changed the channel, looking for something decent to watch. Then she came across a Reality show called Live or Die, which audience members get to vote a Death Row prisoners fate, if their pleas of mercy sound genuine or if they passed various humiliating challenges, no matter how serious their crimes are. James stopped looking at his phone and saw what is on the TV. "I've never liked this show." he said, with a hint of disgust. "The world’s got enough sick people, as it is. Now they are asking us if we should let a serial rapist go free because he says that he is 'sorry,' and he 'won't do it again'. Personally, I think they should just have them sent to the firing-squad and not waste time making them celebs."

 

Nick grabbed a cola, from the small table in front of the sofa and spoke to James about his reason these kinds of shows get made "Wasn't the reason this show got made was because of an overpopulation problem in the prisons? I mean, The Grand War had tons of war criminals. Some looking for any excuse to kill again. That is why we got games like Death Ball, for the psychopathic ones and Live or Die, for those who are too scared to die, and will do anything to live."

 

Ann then changed to the sports channel, which was presenting Death Ball International. "Speak of the devil. Yes, I f*****g love this game."

"Just be glad your mum didn’t hear you swear." Replied Nick.

"Relax, it's perfectly naturel for a teenager to swear when the adults aren't around."

"F**k yeah to that." Responded James, before asking her sister. "What teams are playing at the moment."

Ann took a long at the team names in the top-left corner of the screen. "let us see, we got The French communists going up against The Democratic States of America. Hey, your home country is playing, James!"

 

Her brother seemed interested after hearing that. "yes! So far, these guys have been winning game after game, without any sigh of defeat. I think they're in the semi-finals." James then looked on his phone. "Hang on, I've got to see who they might be up against in the Final." After finding the information, a look of disappointment hits his face, followed by only two words. "oh f**k!"

 

 "What's wrong?" Asked nick, sounding concerned.

"The winners of the first semi-finals are The Republican States of American. S**t! Now there's no chance for my side to win now."

"Whys that?"

"Because the Republican States tend to get the best players that come from Dallas, Texas. I swear, sometimes they even used banned performance enhancing drugs. But there's been no proof of them doing that." 

 "Well, here's hoping that your side may have a chance in winning." Nick then turned his Attention to Ann. "Hey, Ann, do you mind putting the News on for a minute?" 

"Sure, bet you just want to see your heroics on the big screen?" She said, while flipping through the channels until she found EMD News.

 

 

She eventually found EMD News 24/7 which is being presented by Stuart Brown & Mary Lee.

Mary lee seemed to be starting the next News segment "And in other news: Several Member of The Knives gang were arrested, earlier today. They were threatening to kill a local doctor if he did not give them any money. Luckily, Xerxes soldiers were able to arrest the gang and save the doctor before any harm could be made to him." Nick and the others were surprised when the News presenter told a different story from what they saw, on the afternoon news, as well as re-edit the footage to remove all scenes of Nick on the security camera.

"Bollocks!" Protested Ann. "The real story is that you were the one to take those guys out."

"My uncle told me I should keep a low profile, so the Black Death would not be able to find me. So, I am guessing he had to put an injunction on me, so I can remain hidden while in London."

"Shame really. looks like your 15 minutes of fame are over. Ah well, at least you got a free meal out of it."

Nick put his hand behind his head and laid back on the sofa. "to me, that’s always a plus."

 

Mei then entered the room, finished with her conversation with Nicks uncle, while carrying a cup of warm water in her hand. She saw the three of them laying back on the sofa, making themselves feel at home. "It's doesn't take long for you lot to adjust, dose it." She sat down next to James and took a sip from her drink.

"You won't believe this, mum." Ann said. "They just told Nicks story again, on the news. Except they said that Xerxes took down the gang, all by themselves and had Nick removed all together."

Her mother did not seem surprised by how the media report the news. "The news always retells a story differently, even if the witnesses say otherwise. It's what they do in China, all the time." 

Nick then spoke to Mei, on her conversation with his uncle. "so how did it go with my uncle?"

She replied after taking a drink from her cup. "I wanted to talk to him about your education. Since you are living here, I asked him if he planned on having a private tutor pay you a visit."

"And what did he say?"

"Well, he was considering on having a teacher come and educate you on the weekdays. But he was worried that it might draw a bit of unnecessary attention. So, I asked him if it was ok to hire me to home-school you instead. Have you ever been home-schooled before?"

Nick never expected to be asked a question like that before, but he replied, regardless "Not really, no"

"Brace yourself, Nick. Mei offers no mercy." Said James, trying not to laugh.

Ann was trying hold back her laughter. "If you think school can be strict. Just wait to you see what mums teaching is like."

Mei retorted to their comments. "you may laugh, but hasn't my teaching actually been effective for you?"

"That's true. But Nick has no idea what's in store for him."

 "So, when exactly dose my first day of home-school begin?" Nick asked with a bit curiosity.

"We start tomorrow. So, you better get enough sleep tonight."

James gave Nick from friendly reassurance. "Don't worry, me and Sis will be joining you, so you won't suffer alone."

Nick replied with a bit of sarcasm "That’s comforting."

 

Ann picked up the tv remote "Does anyone want me to change the channel?"

"Go ahead." answered Nick "There should be something entertaining on here"

Ann searched through the entertaining category on the TV, until the screen started glitching out for a few seconds, before going Black. Ann was unsure if she did something wrong "Uhhhhh, It's not my fault." Then the Black Death Symbol appeared on the screen. That is when they realized that this was a broadcast hijack by the Terrorists. This has been the way the Black Death get their threats across to the masses. It is not the first time they have done it, and it will not be the last.

 

Just then, a dark, metallic voice, with a feeling of hate, started to speak through the TV. Its message was one to instil hopelessness and fear to the viewer.

"Greetings, People of London. You may be enjoying the New Year with hope and optimism. But I, Thanatos, will make sure to remind you that you are not safe, no matter how much your Emperor tells you otherwise. And do not assume that you can depend on Gina Rhodes to save you all. That woman is nothing but a fake, hiding behind her fame and lies to manipulate you. I promise you, she will only end up betraying you, when you least suspect it. You are asking yourself, who else you should turn to for help? William Stenhouse? Well, I am afraid your wrong about him, as well. He is nothing more than a rich coward. A man who would hide along with his money, rather than make himself officially known. You put your faith in a man who is only interested in helping you as long, as you pay him."

 

Ann noticed Nick was starting to get a bit angry, while Thanatos kept on speaking, and was getting a little worried. They continued to listen to Thanatos's speech. "Oh, and I'm aware of Gina 's new lapdog, named Zeus. Who the media likes to say helped her capture one of my lackeys earlier this morning. Well, I would just like to remind him that no matter how many of my men he plans on capturing, it will not really matter, in the end. Because there will always be others who will join me, in rebuilding the world, to suit my needs. Someone like you, Zeus, does not have a prayer in stopping me. The only thing you will ever achieve in standing against me, is an early death." Nick gripped his bottled drink in a tight fist. And then Thanatos said something that really pushed a nerve in Nick. "and to all those people who have lost someone dear to them, because of me. All I can say is: You're welcome."

 

The transmissions ended and Nick got up and screamed. "YOU B*****D!" He threw his bottle at the Holographic TV. But since it was just a hologram, it just went through the screen and smashed itself against the wall, with only a tiny bit of coke smeared on the wall and glass shards across the floor. The others looked at him with a mixture of fear and sympathy. Nick was able to quickly calm down after seeing the look on their faces. He took a deep breath and sat back down. "Sorry about that."

 

"it's ok, Nick." Replied James. "You've been through a lot today. So, it is only understandable you would be pissed at seeing the Black Death gloat to the public. It’s the sort of thing my dad wouldn’t tolerate, being a cop and all."

Ann placed her hand to Nick's left shoulder. "But you're not alone. We will be here to help you out through this. You've done a lot for us today, so I think it's only fair that we return the favour."

Nick seemed to feel better after hearing the others say they would other their support in helping him through the grief. "Thank you. To be honest, I was not expecting the start of this year to be such a life changing for me. Well, that is not fair. Because it's been a bit of a life changer for all of us." Nick got up from the sofa. "Excuse me, I need to get a towel, to clean up the mess." He left the Livingroom and went to the kitchen, to grab a towel from the draw. But before he went back into the living, he rested his arms on the kitchen counter and tried to get his head together, after what Thanatos said, had gotten to him. "Come on, Nick. It is not like you have dealt this people like him before. Well ok, the people I am thinking were just bullies at school. But I got to easily deal with them, thanks to those P.E classes" Nick looked at the C.A.P.S bracelet on his right wrist. "Just remember, my uncle gave this to me for a purpose. And when the chances make itself available, I will kill Thanatos, even if others say he should stand trial."

 

Mei then entered the Kitchen. Wondering why Nick was taking so long. "Nick, are you having trouble looking for a towel?

Nick quickly took his arms of the counter and tried to make up an excuse. "Don't worry, Mei, I've got one. I was just seeing if it was reliable. I'll just go and clear up my mess."       

But before Nick could do that, Mei wanted to speak to him. "Wait. Before you go anywhere, I just wanted to say that I know what you are going through, losing your parents and all."

Nick tried to brush the conversation off, not really wanting to talk about it. "I appreciate the concern. But I'll be ok."

Mei didn’t seem convinced "Really? Because what I saw just now and what you said about wanting to Kill Thanatos, back at the restaurant, did not seem like you are ok. You are hurting inside, Nick. And if you are not careful, it could be you're downfall."

Nick unexpectedly snapped out at Mei "Why don't you just mind you own business!? That b*****d took everything from me and going to make him regret he ever did that! You can’t possibly understand what I’m going through!”

Mei then threw her glass of water on Nick’s face, after he said all that. She was able to keep composure when she spoke again. "Do you see what I mean by bottling up your anger? You'll only continue to hurt those around you, including yourself." 

Nick was able to come to his senses, all while trying not to cry. "I'm...I'm so sorry, Mei. I... I didn't mean..."     

She then walked up to Nick and gave him a hug, only a mother could give to a child, in a warm motherly voice. "shhhh. It is ok. Just let it all out. You'll feel better, afterwards" Nick had his head on Mei's bosom of her black cheongsam blouse and started to break down in tears.

 

Ann and James saw the whole ordeal, from a distance, while carrying bottles and crisp packets in their hands. "Wow, Nick really is hurting on the inside." Remarked James, with sympathy.

"Losing your mum and dad, at a youthful age, can really mess you up in a lot of ways. We need to give him all the support we can offer." Replied his sister.

"I'm surprised you didn't go and punch him, after he took it out on Mei. Normally your very protective of her."

"like you said, James, he's hurting. It's only natural for someone take their anger out on others when their grieving." Ann believed they had seen enough. "C'mon, let's go find a bin elsewhere to put all this rubbish in."

The two went left, while Nick lifted his head from Mei's chest, now feeling a little better after he was able to let it all out. "Are you feeling a bit better now?"  asked Mei.

Nick replied, while wiping both his eyes. "Thanks, Mei, I needed that. I will survive. It is about all I can do, now. Now, I should go and clean up my mess."

"ok, I'll get the dustpan & brush, to help sweep up any broken glass, scattered across the floor."

"Alright, I will make sure not to step in any glass."

Mei picked up a dustpan & brush from one of the cupboards and followed Nick into the Livingroom. They saw that all the bottles and packets were removed, thanks to Ann and James tiding up, while Nick was getting a towel.

 

 

 

 

"Most teenagers don't really clean up after themselves. They expect their parents to do all the work. But I am going to make sure my daughter did not grow up to be a lazy slob. When she is old enough, and has her own place to live, she will thank me for it." said Mei, after seeing how well her daughter and stepson had tidied up the room.

Nick wiped the coke stain from the wall. "I got to hand it to you, Mei, you'll one hell of a mother. I cannot imagine the amount of stress you must go through, when rising your daughter.

Mei was sweeping up the broken glass from the floor. "Believe me, it's never easy, when you’re a mum. Having to be both a property owner to a bar and a mother at the same time would be a hairpulling experience for some. But, for me, raising her is something I will never stop doing.

"It must be tough raising her in an environment where some people have been known to be a bit racist. You must have faced some discrimination while living in Britain?"

"You wouldn't believe the amount of harassment and abuse me, and Ann had to put up with, over the years. All because the U.A.A (The United Asian Alliance) refused to take part in The Grand War."

Nick told Mei the short story on why certain nations hated the U.A.A. "I remember learning in history class that U.A.A Sealed itself off from the rest of the world. They refused to take sides with anyone, because they did not want to help fund a nation that kept on killing others. All country's that were with the U.A.A at that point had renounced all forms of violence and decided the only way to save themselves was to completely cut of all contact with everyone outside the borders. And ever since the war ended 20 years ago, many of those nation that wanted help from the U.A.A, and never got over it."

"You must have had a really good history teacher, to teach you that."

“Mr Irons, my history teacher, liked telling the class that story because he loved slagging the U.A.A, nonstop. No offence".

"Non-taken."

"But Seriously, he hated your people so much. All because his ancestor once had major business deals, over in the U.A.A. But they then went bankrupt, once they sealed itself off, cutting off any financial support to their businesses. Apparently, his family line went from having a fancy mansion with a giant pool to living in a caravan near a dang river."

"Wow! I heard stories of businesses worldwide going bankrupt, because of the U.A.A actions. But I never knew how badly it effected that guys family. I honestly pity that man, then I do hate him."

        

Ann and James returned to the Livingroom, after deposing the bottles and packets. "We're back, mum. We managed to bin everything."

"Ok, thanks for clearing up after yourselves." Replied her mother, after she and Nick finished cleaning the mess on the wall.

James started to look tired and began to yawn. "is anyone else feeling tired?"

Ann then yawned. "now that mention it, I'm starting to feel sleepy. It has had been a long day. Nick, can you show where we're going to be sleeping?"

"sure, follow me with your suitcases, and I'll lead you to each of your rooms."

Ann, James, and Mei went to the where they left their suitcases. After picking up each of their own cases, they followed Nick up the stairs.

"ughhh, more stairs to climb! My legs can't take anymore abuse!" Complained Ann.

The four made it up the stairs. Nick then told them which room would by theirs. "Ok, to start off, this my room." To the door he was pointing to. "The other doors next to them are also bedrooms. Feel free to pick which one you want."

"Ok. I think I'll take this room" Ann picked the door on the right of Nicks room. When she saw what her room looked like, she went all excited again. “oh my god!” she saw how luxurious her room was. Its furniture was made of the finest wood, carved with perfect detail. The bed was king-sized, with bedsheets that were made of rarest silk, to make the sheets feel comfier than a standard bedsheet. Ann entered the room and placed her suitcase next to the chest of draws. Then she ran and jumped onto the bed, like an overly excited kid at a sweetshop. "This is so cool! I have to be dreaming because this is too good to be true." She then pinched her arm to see if she was dreaming "Ow! No, I am not dreaming. Even better!" She continued to get all giddy, while Nick closed her door to allow her some privacy.

 

"Ok then. So which room do you want, James?"

"I think I'll have the room of the left side of yours." James was about to open the door. But before he did so, he spoke to Nick. "Before I go in, I have to ask. Will each room look the same or is each one different?"

"All rooms look the same, but you can change the look of the rooms with a computer on the wall, if you want to, so you can give it some personality. My uncle must have done this in case he ever got any guests."

"Ok. I just wanted to make sure. I was worried I might get a room covered in pink."

Mei rolled her eyes when James said that. "oh really, James?"

"What? I can't help but complain if I get a girl's room." James entered the room and, like Ann, went crazy how luxurious his room was. "Holy s**t! It's like a 5 Star hotel in here!" He continued to jump like mad, all while Nick closes the door.

Mai looked at the door next to Ann's room. "This will be my room." Mei open the door but did not react to her room the same why Ann and James did. Her face had a look of nostalgia. Although she seemed a bit sad. Then Mei let out a small sigh. "This reminds me of home. It's like my family have forgiven and welcomed me back home." Mei wiped a small tear from her left eye.

"Are you ok, Mei?" Nick asked, with concern.

"I'll be fine. I just felt a little homesick. But do not worry, I've put that long behind me." Mei then entered her room and closed the door behind her.

 

Nick decided to go into his room. He decided to personalize the look of his room. Using the computer on wall next to the door, Nick changed the plain white walls to a honeycomb mixture of red, white, and black. "Now it feels like my old room back in Biggleswade."

Nick then went to the chest of draws to put on some pyjamas. He was starting to get tired again, after the long day he had. Nick tried to open the chest of draws but then they suddenly opened and doubled in height. This is the Auto-Dresser. All you need to do is stand in the centre of the device, say what type of clothing you want to wear from the devices database, and you will be wearing brand new clothing in seconds. Nick stood in the centre. "umm, Pyjamas, please." The platform which he stood up lit up, and the Auto-Dresser closed on Nick to give him some privacy. Ten seconds later, the Auto-Dresser opened and Nick wearing a new pair of Blue silk pyjamas. He was really impressed by how soft and stylish they were "Now this is snazzy!"

 

Nick went to his bed and climbed into the duvet sheets. He was finally able to get some sleep and put the January the 1st behind him finally. Although he wondered what tomorrow would bring him, besides having home-school with Mei being the teacher. Nick finally closed his eyes a had a long goodnight sleep.        

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 9: On Patrol

 

January 1st, 2295, 20:04, 44 Billionaire Road, London, UK

 

For the last 4 hours, Nick had been tossing and turning in his bed, being unable to get any sleep. Every time he closed his eyes, he would see his parent's death repeated in his head. And each time they died; they would ask why Nick did not do anything to save them. And that was the point when he opened his eyes and got out of bed.

Nick paced back and forth around the room, wondering how he could clear his mind and get some sleep. Then he had an idea "Apollo, what is the current rate of crime in London?"

A few second later, Apollo had an answer. "According to EMD News, Crime has risen in London by 30%, due to cuts in the police force by the Emperor, to fund Xerxes payments. The London police still manage to fight crime regardless, but their numbers are small and poorly managed. There are even talks of a possible Police strike if the situation continues to get worse."

Nick then had a look on his face, like he knew what he had to do now. “Apollo, I think I should go out for some exercise.”

“Shall I tell Ms Shang that you are going out, sir?”

“No need, Apollo. What my uncle gave me today will keep me safe.”

 

Nick went to the door of his room. He placed his hand on the handle and slowly opened the door. He peaked his head out and looked both ways to make sure no one was around. When the coast was clear, Nick silently made his way downstairs and headed straight to his uncle's office. Once Nick made it to Williams office, he stood on the platform that would take him to old underground tunnels. “Apollo, Lower the platform.”

“Right away, sir”

Apollo began lowering the platform. Before it reached the bottom, Apollo began having a conversation with Nick. “I Shall have your Bike fully loaded and ready for you, Sir. Also, if any of the guests at home try to enter your room, I shall tell that your asleep and do not wish to be disturbed.”

“Excellent work, Apollo. No wonder William choose you as his personal Butler.”

“Master Stenhouse and I have Worked together for many years. I have served him long before he founded Midas Industries.”

“I remember that his dad ran a military rations factory, which was collapsing due to the war being over. William then took it over and Renamed it so that he can expand his business. Bet you had a hand in helping him out.”

“Of course, sir. I ensured Master Stenhouse to take only the business practices that would help build his empire.”

“How exactly did you first meet William?” Nick asked

“He created me, while he was studying in university. Master Stenhouse had a master’s degree in Artificial Intelligence and with my help, we were able to turn his father failing company into a multitrillion pound enterprise.”

“I'm surprised he didn’t sell you to some major company. That might have also helped his dad out.”

“Master Stenhouse hated his father, because of how abusive he was to him and his sister; Mrs Sarah Adams. Graham Stenhouse would always take it anger out on other people, because of how badly his company was doing. Also, the Master though of me as a friend. he would never abandon me to anyone else.”

“Whatever happened to Grandad Graham? Neither mum nor William would ever tell me.”

“After Master Stenhouse founded Midas Industry. He cut his father out of the business and had him moved to a Mega-flat in the poorer part on London. Graham became heavily dependent on alcohol and started taking non-prescribed drugs to help numb the pain. He tried contact his son, wanting to apologise for all the harm he ever did to him. But Master Stenhouse refused to ever forgive him. That also included the time when Graham tried to have his way with the then 14-year-old Sarah, while he was drunk.”

Nick eyes opened when he heard that piece. “What!? That wanker almost raped my mum!?”

“Luckily, Master Stenhouse stopped him and had Sarah move into her best friends place. However, Graham beat him even more when he refused to tell him where Sarah was.”

“Is Graham Still alive?” Nick asked, out of curiosity.

“Graham Stenhouse died in his flat when a drug dealer kicked his door down and shot him, because Graham refused to give him his money. When Master Stenhouse was given the news that his father had died, He said only two words: Thank God.”

Nick was taken aback when he heard all that. “F**k. I did not know how dark both my mum and Williams upbringing were. But I am glad he is well now. Despite the fact I hardly ever see him in person.

The platform reached the bottom. Nick made his way to where his Centaur superbike was being kept. "Ok, I know what to do next." Nick said as he clenched the fist, raised it into the air, and shouted out "ZEUS!!" The dark room went bright from his transformation as he became Zeus again. "Well then, time to go to work." Zeus got on his bike, as it changed into its army model the instant, he sat down on it. Zeus then gave his bike an order "Set to silent mode." The bikes engine went silent as Zeus sped thought the tunnels leading him back to the surface.

 

January 1st, 2295, 20:27, Trafalgar Square, London, UK

 

Zeus speeded passed the traffic on London's busy roads, passing by the neon lights and glowing advertisements, often using half naked women to sell a basic product. Zeus gave Apollo an order. "Apollo, see if you can patch me into London's police radio dispatch line and CCTV. I want any reports of ongoing crimes nearby"

Three second later, Apollo was able to patch Zeus into police radio. Zeus overhead an outgoing call from dispatch.

"Attention all units, we have CCTV footage of an armed robbery in the Chinatown district, at a store named 'Central Oriental Goods'. Suspects name is Liam Pitchford, wanted for earlier store robberies and a murder of a police officer. Be advise, the suspect appears to be under the influence of an Adonis stimulant, Over."

Zeus looked at the map on is HUD and saw that he was not that far from Chinatown. "If I could get there within 5 minutes, I can arrest that guy, without anyone getting hurt." Zeus revved his bike up and proceeded to Chinatown. Zeus used the GPS on his HUD to see which road will help him get there the fastest and without getting in the way of any oncoming traffic.

"Apollo, can you link me into the stores security cameras?" Apollo showed Zeus the armed robber, named as Liam Pitchford, carrying a large machete, and even pointing it to the store clerks' throat. Zeus heard Liam making threats to the clerk. The man's eyes were bloodshot red, his veins are more visible on his neck and seemed to be having anger issues. (A well-known side effect for those who heavily use Adonis) "I told you, if you ever tell me to calm down again, I'm going to chop your f*****g head off!! Do you understand me!?"

The clerk was terrified but was able reply. "yes, just please what do you want?!"

"I want all the money your store has made this week!"

"No, you can't have that. I work for that money, to keep this business alive!"

Liam began to get angrier "Don't get start with me, you slant-eyed f**k! I have been patience with you so far, but I am at my limit now. So, I am going to ask you one last time. Give me the f*****g money!"

 

Zeus was able to arrive outside the store. He set his sword for stun, because even though the man was dangerous, he was just a crazy thief, not a terrorist. He got off his bike and then entered the store quietly, hoping to make sure he was not seen. Zeus hid behind a store shelf and saw Liam getting increasingly angry at the clerk and knew if he did not do anything soon, the clerk could be dead in less than 30 seconds. So, he decided to make a distraction. Zeus grabbed a 250ml bottle of Sweet & Sour Sauce and threw across the room, hoping to get Liam's attention.

As the bottle smashed on the floor, Liam heard the noise "What the f**k was that?! Who's there!?" He turned to the store clerk, while pointing his machete to his neck. "Is there anyone else here?!"

"No. The staff leave work at 8. I stayed behind to clear up."

"Then how do you explain that noise just now!?"

"It's probably one of the items just fallen of an uneven shelf".

"I’m going to check to see who it is. You stay here! And if you think of running out the door, I'll serve you with my Chow Mein."

Liam left the clerk to see where the noise originally came from. He held his machete tightly, hoping to use it on someone tonight. Although he looked a little nervous, as his hand started trembling. He found the broken bottle on the floor and knew that someone else was here. But he did not where the bottle originally came from, nor did he know who threw it. Then another bottle smashed somewhere in the store. "Who the f***s there!?" Liam franticly ran to where the other noise came from. He began getting more agitated when he still could not find who was doing it. "WHERE ARE YOU!!?" He Screamed.

 "Right Behind you, Arsehole!" Replied Zeus, as he strikes Liam from behind with his sword, which sent 10 million volts of electricity into Liam, Knocking him out.

Zeus called out to the clerk "You can come out now. The robbers being incapacitated."

The clerk made his way to where Zeus was, with a baseball bat, and saw Liam shaking on the ground after being shocked by Zeus's sword. "Will he be alright?"

"Don't worry he'll survive. This sword has enough voltage to stop an elephant that’s been injected with Adonis." Replied Zeus, as he handcuffed Liam

"Wait a minute, I've seen you before on the news. You're that Zeus guy that everyone is talking about." The clerk then wanted to shake his hand. "Thank you. Thank you so much for saving me and my store! You've probably help me live to see myself having grandchildren."

Zeus looked a bit happy after hearing him say that. But he continued to act like it was nothing. "Well, it looks like my work here is done. The police should be here any minute. You should make sure he does not go anywhere, sir.

"Oh, don’t worry. I'll make sure he stays put." Replied the clerk, while holding his bat, wanting to hit Liam.

Zeus heard the police sirens approaching and decided to leave through the door he came in. He got back on his bike, went invisible again and speeded off before the policed arrived.

 

 

January 1st, 2295, 21:06, Regents Park, London, UK

  

Zeus continued to drive his bike around London. Overhearing any police chatter in the hope of catching another criminal. He counited to feel proud of himself after having saved that store clerk and arresting that crazed robber. But he had to cut his celebration short, as his HUD alerted him to a nearby crime happening in Regents park. Zeus had a look at the CCTV footage in his helmet and saw what looked like an attempted rape on a woman, near the Grand War Memorial. Zeus was only a minute away from the scene, so he sped his bike up and hurried before the victim could get seriously hurt.

"Apollo, can you give an ID on the suspect?"

Apollo needed a few seconds to scan the suspects face on the camera but was able to give Zeus a full ID. "Suspects name is Ben Redding. He is a convicted sex offender, with charges of Rape, indecent assault, and child molestation. He's been banned from ever going to several places in London, but it hasn't stopped him from trying."

Zeus was disgusted, after hearing Bens crimes "Well, this sick f****r Is going to regret his actions, full stop, after I deal with him."

 

Zeus stopped his bike after he saw the rapist trying to have his way with the woman. He turned his sword back into a gun, and made sure it was set to stun, just so the woman will not get hurt. Zeus quietly moved behind a large flowerbed, which was made to commemorate Princess Elizabeth's birthday, and waited for the right time to strike.

Ben had the woman pinned to the ground, as he tried to rip her trousers off." C'mon, just one screw and it will be over with. I don't know why woman have to be so difficult."

The woman tried fighting back. "Get your filthy hand off me, you perverted arsehole! When my boyfriend finds out about what you have done, you'll be in a world of hell.!" She was able to scratch Ben, but this made him angrier at her.

Ben got a knife out and held it to her throat "Don't you dare ever raise your hand at me again! I was going to be gentle with you, but know I have to teach you a lesson the hard way." He then used his knife to cut her shirt off.

Zeus then at once acted. He made a snowball and threw it a Ben's head. Ben got up after the snowball hit him. Holding his knife in the right hand "Who's there?! C'mon, show yourself, coward! What, you want this b***h?! Well tough luck because she's mine for the taking."

Zeus then appeared behind the flowerbed and aimed his gun at Ben. "Oh god!" Ben said in terror, after he saw what he was up against. "You're...you're Zeus!"

"Thank you for remembering my name." Replied Zeus, whilst slowly moving forward, as Ben kept stepping back in fear. "Ben Redding, I give you two options. You can either drop your weapon, and allow me to arrest you. Or I shoot you with 10 million volts of electricity, which may cause organ failure, muscle spasms, loss of bladder control and bowl movement, and then I arrest you. What's it going to be?"

 

Ben believed Zeus was bluffing about shooting him. So, he tried to charge at Zeus with his knife "I'll f*****g kill you!" As he charged, Zeus fired a round at Ben, which caused him to fall to the ground, shaky randomly.

Zeus did not seem surprised by what Ben did, as he holstered his gun, and handcuffed him. "To be honest, I only really use my weapons in self-defence. My first option would have been so much easier for you." After handcuffing the rapist, Zeus than went to the woman who was still lying of the ground. "are you ok, Miss?" He asked, while giving his hand out, to help her.

 

The woman seemed unsure at first when Zeus offered his hand, but she was able to trust him. "I'll be ok." She then gave Zeus a hug. "Thank you so much for saving me. I honestly though he was going to violate me." She then ran to where Ben was and proceeded to kick him repeatedly in the balls violently. "You f****r! You have no right to do what you did to me! A woman's body is her own private property!" The woman was then able to calm herself and turned to Zeus. "Have the police been notified?"

 

"Well, while you were giving him a good kicking, I've contacted the police, who will be here in a few minutes." Replied Zeus "Would you like me to remain here, until they arrive, ma'am?"

"Thank you, but I think I'll be ok. You should go, before the police get here. No doubt, you have other criminals to deal?"

"As you wish, ma'am. Take care of yourself and stay safe." Zeus ran to his bike and speeded off before the police could arrive. he could not help but smile, as he was able to save another life.

 

January 1st, 2295, 21:38, Piccadilly Circus, London, UK 

 

Zeus continued secretly patrolling the streets of London. He started to feel a little better about himself, after saving the lives of two people.

Apollo then talked to Zeus. "Sir, I've noticed a change in your stress level and heartrate. You now appear to be at a much healthier mentality."

"Thanks, Apollo."

"But be careful. Overextending yourself will lead to physical and mental fatigue. Shouldn’t you head back to the mansion and get some sleep? You don't want to be tired on your first day of home-school."

Zeus though about what Apollo said, but had something else to say "How about one more crime to stop? After that, I'll call it a night."

"Very well. I shall look for any nearby crimes in our area" Apollo found something interesting online. "Sir, you may want to look at this." Apollo patched in a live news feed in Zeus's helmet.

The headline said, 'Crazed shooter holds up fast food joint'. The reporter, a young guy in his 20s, began to give out the news, while live at the scene. "This is Luke Grant, from EMD news. We are live outside Easy Cheesy Pizza. Where, 2 hours ago, a mentally ill man named Kenny Floyd entered the joint, armed with a non-registered firearm, and began to take hostages. Floyd suffers from paranoid schizophrenia. He believes the founder of Easy Cheesy, Howard Cheddar, is making fun of him, because he shares the same name as the company's mascot: Floyd the Cheese Snatching mouse. Which also come with the Slogan: 'Avoid Floyd'. Mr Floyd had been made fun of all his life because of the mascot. And believes, in his view, that the mascot was made as a personal attack on him. So, in an act of revenge on Mr Cheddar, he decided to go his local Easy Cheesy and hold the place up until his demand were met. Police L.T McGee is currently negotiating with Floyd. But they have not reached a compromise yet. You say the customers could not 'Avoid Floyd' this Time. Luke grant, reporting for EMD News, Piccadilly Circus."   

  

After the report ended, Zeus revved up his bike and proceeded to Easy Cheesy Pizza. So, he can save the hostages.

Apollo gave Zeus an update on the situation. "Sir, the police talks aren’t going well. Kenneth Floyd appears to be getting more agitated. Entering through the front may not be a clever idea, as he might panic and start shooting the hostages if he sees you. There is an alternate entrance, through the back-alley door."

"Got it. Clever work, Apollo."

"Thank you, Sir."

As Zeus got closer to the Pizza Joint, he had the bike go into stealth mode, so no one could see or hear him approaching. He made to the back alley, where he could gain access to the building, through the staff door. Zeus got off the bike and went to the door, hoping it was not locked. He placed his hand on the handle and pushed down slowly, so he could not be heard. Luckily, the door was unlocked, so he was able to enter Easy Cheesy, without a problem.

 

"Apollo, Patch me into the CCTV of this place. I want to make sure Floyd hasn't kill anyone yet." Asked Zeus upon entering the staff locker room.

"Yes sir."

Zeus crept his way through the staff room and into the kitchen, which was filled was all the ingredients needed to make a pizza in less than 10 minutes. All the while looking at the live news playing the upper right corner of his HUD.

Zeus was able to see the main dining area from the service hatch. He took a quick peek and saw the hostages on the floor, with their hands on their heads and the robot mascot with a bullet to its head.

He could hear Floyd rambling to the police. outside the front window.

"Look, All I ask is that I get to speak to the Founder of this s****y business! And demand that he changes the name of his mascot! What is taking so long!?"

The officer in charge of the negations, L.T McGee, was doing all he can, given the situation. "Ken, we've tried contacting Mr Cheddar. But he is currently having talks to have his business run in Australia. I am afraid he will not be speaking to you for quite a while. I am sorry. Now we want to release the hostages and lower your gun. We can get a therapist to help you out instead. We might even throw-in some free pizza"

Kenny was not happy with that response. "God d****t! Do not piss me off! When people piss me off, I hurt them! Here, I'll show you!" Kenny then went to one of the hostages, which was the staff that worked there, who was a young male trainee, no younger than 17. "Get up!" Ordered Kenny, as he grabbed the trainee by his shirt.

The trainee was scared and begged ken. "Please do not kill me, sir! I've got so much to live for!"

"Shut up, you ginger twat!" Kenny then had him up against the window, for everyone to see. The public were scared, the police had their spotlights and guns aimed at him, and the news crew seemed only interested in see if Kenny would shoot. "All my life, I've had people laugh at me, because of this f*****g business and its mascot. No one ever cared about my problems. So, let us see if anyone cares about this arsehole!"

 

Zeus knew he had less than 10 seconds to act, before Kenny killed the hostage. So, he ran through the door into the dining area, grabbed a glass saltshaker. "Hey Floyd!" Zeus said, as he threw the saltshaker to Kenny's face.

Kenny turned his head around and saw the saltshaker. But was to slow to get out of the way, as it smashed into his face. "arrrrgh!!! My face! My face is f*****g ruined" Kenny dropped his gun and placed both hands on the face, trying to remove the glass shard imbedded in his face.

Zeus grabbed Kenny by the collar. "We can't have behaviour like that in this establishment, Floyd" said Zeus, Mockingly.

Kenny, who was pissed off even more by that comment, tried to headbutt Zeus. But since Zeus's helmet was made of metal, this only made the glass in his head go in deeper, which made him scream in pain. Zeus picked him up with both hands and preceded to throw Kenny out of the broken window.

As Kenny was thrown outside of the store, the police quickly made sure that he was pinned to the ground and handcuffed. L.T McGee was not sure who the man was that dealt with the nutter, so he ordered the spotlight crew to aim the light back at the restaurant. "You, whoever you are, you better show yourself!" Ordered the L.T, as the lights were on Zeus.

The public were surprised and amazed when they saw him. "Hey, isn't it that Zeus guy?" Said one of the civilians.

While another commented as well "No way?! He went in and took that guy down despite the risk involved. He did a better job than the police ever could."

L.T McGee did not seem happy with that last comment, which sounded like a criticism of his work. "Zeus, stay where you are! You're under arrest for interfering with police work." The public began booing the Lieutenant, after saying that. "Shut your mouths! This is my operation, and I won't let anyone else take credit for it."

 

"It would appear that the Lieutenant isn't that well liked among the people of London." Commented Apollo. "Sir, it would be an appropriate time to escape and return home."

"Good idea." Zeus began to run back the back alley, where he left the bike.

L.T McGee saw him making a run for it. "Hey! I said do not move. All officers go in and get him!"

"what about the hostages, Sir?" Questioned an officer.

"I said get Zeus! He's your top priority!"

"Yes sir." The police run into the building, ignoring the hostages, in the hope of capturing Zeus. But Zeus was able to get back on his bike and escaped.

The police force got to the back alley and found nothing. One of the police officers contacted the Lieutenant. "Sir. Zeus has escaped."

L.T McGee seemed really Infuriated, but he kept in under control, as his contacted police headquarters on his radio. "Operator, I want to add a wanted criminal. The suspect name is Zeus." 3 seconds later. "No, I don't know his f*****g real name." He then smashed his radio on the ground. "But I will find him. And I'll make sure he doesn’t take the law into his own hands again."

 

 

 

 

January 1st, 2295, 22:06, Billionaires Road, London, UK

 

Zeus was able to make it back to the abandoned tunnels. He was beginning to feel tired after his endeavour into crime fighting, but he had enough energy to make it home. Zeus parked his bike where he left it. After dismounting the bike, he deactivated his suit and reverted to Nick Adams 

"Well, tonight went well. Wouldn't you agree, Apollo?" Nick said, while feeling a little smug.

"The London morning news should be interesting to hear."  Apollo replied. "you appear to be feeling tired, sir. You should get some sleep, to recover. Ms Shang won’t like to see you tired during her lessons."

Nick replied sarcastically, after being reminded about tomorrow “Thanks for reminding me Apollo.”

“You’re welcome, sir”

Nick could not tell if Apollo was being sincere or taking the piss. But he was too tired to even care, as he Stood on the platform that would take him back to his uncle's office and quietly made his way up the stairs to his bedroom, hoping that everyone was asleep. He opened the door to his room quietly and then made his way to his bed.

Nick made a heavy sigh, before collapsing on the bed. "This has been the busiest day I've ever done. But I can finally put it behind me." But before he could close his eyes his phone received a text from a private number.

The message read “I saw how you handle yourself tonight on the news. I am proud of you. Although you still have much more to learn. - Gina” The messaged then deleted itself, after Nick finished reading it. He smiled and was able to close his eyes sleep easily, after being able to be the hero.

“Goodnight sir. Sleep well” said Apollo

Nick yawned before replying “Good night Apollo. I wonder what tomorrow has in store for me”

 

To be Continued...

 


© 2020 Rory Simpson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2 Views
Added on November 15, 2020
Last Updated on November 15, 2020
Tags: sci fi, drama, teenage, war, hero

Author

Rory Simpson
Rory Simpson

United Kingdom



About
I always like making fictional stories. And i like to share that with other people who are interested. more..