Ériu - the spirit vessel

Ériu - the spirit vessel

A Story by Owenh1
"

This is a short story i wrote, i know it needs a lot of work but the idea came from a dream i had about being led out of a dark room by a strange light. Anyway, enjoy. I also love criticism.

"

The cave was full of darkness. It clung to every crack and crevice. Black shadows upon black stones. Ériu did not think that this obscure darkness could be any colder, any more uninviting. But it was. It tore into her skin with a terrifying velocity, like black tendrils lashing her skin. Ériu was out picking vegetables and fruit like she had always done. Basket in hand and off she would trot, the gentle warmth of summer springing her step as she filled her basket with juicy strawberries and those sweet, crunchy apples mother would sometimes bake into apple pies. But there was no apple pie here, no warmth, no light, only darkness and her sad thoughts to keep her company.


How could this happen to her, it was a normal day, only she had wandered into this cave. She had never seen it before and wanted to explore the inside. She cursed her stupid curiosity, because of it, she was lost. From what she could remember, she was deep inside the cave, having slid her way down a hill of muck and tumbling rocks when the sensation began to overcome her. It stiffened her entire body and crept along her skin, slicing into her muscles and tendons, instantly rendering her nothing more than a conscious rock, much like the cold, hard walls that surrounded her. Only they were inanimate and dead. Before she completely blacked out, the manipulative effect had invaded her nerves, sending millions of tiny electric shocks all over her body. Every toe, every finger vibrated with a burning intensity. Tears fell from her twinkling eyes, splashing her knees as she thought about the feeling.

No, she thought, this is not the end. She grabbed one of the soggy apples that scattered the cave floor and took a huge bite out of it, ripping it almost in half. Juice dribbled down her chin.
If it was to be her demise, she would not die hungry. She devoured three more apples greedily before taking many deep breaths to calm her quivering torso. Ériu felt her way up the spiky rock wall, hand pushed hard into the slick rock to steady her own legs, still weak from the shocks that had made her pass out. She yearned for her own bed, and the soft kisses her mother would place on her forehead every night. That thought seemed to instil hope in the young girl, but Ériu knew better than to hope. Hope wouldn’t save her life, only action would. What need her of hope when she was encased in this black prison. This abyss was terminal. 

There was no way of telling where she was going; she had no sense of direction or position. She could not even tell which way was forward, and which way was back. Soon, she let the darkness guide her, trusting in her instincts rather than letting fear grip hold of her, exactly what mother had always taught her to do. The sweeping abyss seemed to swallow her more as she edged her way along the cold crevice, opening up unto a beyond which seemed to swallow her more the further she walked. By now, she had quickened her pace, and was no longer scurrying along the wall like some terrified beetle. Her fingers brushed against the cave wall as she moved briskly through the darkness. She felt as if she was going to slam face first into a wall at any second, but she kept on moving, she had no intention of stopping, the only thing she had left was her ability to move and she put it to good use, walking in a straight line, seeking an end that was no more in sight than her own hand in front of her face.

Then she saw it… A dim orange glow flickered in the distance. In the darkness, it looked like Ériu was peering at lava through the tip of a needle, for some reason, she smiled when she gazed upon it. The light flickered and danced in her vision, being the first thing to tickle her senses, it sent her brain into overdrive, causing the strange hue to morph and grow, igniting into colours she never seen before. Her vision seemed to swarm with dancing images and shapes inconceivable to her young mind. Quickly, her eyes began to adjust to the warm glow of the mesmerising light and she became obsessed with it. Ériu was drawn towards not only the light, but the company light brings in the lonely despair of darkness. Suddenly, she felt hopeful again, this light would bring her home, back to mother and the warm log fire that Ériu loved nothing more than to curl up beside, feeling the warm tickle of the flame on her feet.


The ember glow was not far, and the next thing she knew, she was sprinting towards it, her face etched with a lolling smile.

Her smile melted into a wide-eyed gape when she saw what was producing the light.

A small, burning orb, about the size of a large orange hung low in the murky air. It seemed to emanate with moxie and an animated vigour as Ériu gazed, awestruck at the sight before her. She had never seen anything like this before, nor could she ever hope to again, surely she was the first person to see something like this?

“Hello,” whispered Ériu in her soft rural tone.

Soft as her voice was, it was not strong, and strength is what she needed right now.

“Hello!” she repeated. This time however, her voice was loud and clear, cutting through the shuddersome silence that engulfed the cave.
“Can you help me get home?”

Ériu nearly jumped twenty feet in the air when she heard the orb exhale with a low humming noise. Almost like a sighing bear, nestling in to hibernate out the winter. Her heart pounded even harder in her chest when the orb began to slowly drift forward. Ériu followed dutifully, her eyes fixed on the effervescent sphere of energy. Both orb and girl quickened their pace, until Ériu was tearing after the leering ball, like a child after sweets. This time, she did not care about what was ahead, or behind her, only the light and comforting heat of the xanthic orb.

Ériu let out an ear-piercing wail as colour and light exploded upon her vision. She was brought to her knees by a relentless barrage of senses the moment she emerged from the void of the hollow.

She could not believe her own two eyes as to what she was seeing before her. This was not home…This was nowhere she had ever seen before.

The ocean in front of her sparkled and glittered. It was a blanket of sapphires that caressed the shores of the land. She had never seen anything so beautiful in her life. In fact, Ériu had never even seen the sea; she had never had a chance. It was a frighteningly expansive sight, and as Ériu knelt before it, she wanted to hide beneath a rock in case the tides swallowed her up. Perhaps the sea was simply much closer to home than she imagined, and the cave she got lost in was a secret passage to the sea! But that was a stupid thought… mother always told her that they lived right in the centre of Ireland and it would take a very long time to travel to the ocean. Mother was always right, and she mustn’t forget that.

The young girl gasped as the air around her whipped and cracked, dispersing around her like she was some kind of infection. Her auburn hair seemed to float, suspended in a gentle weightlessness. Ériu closed her eyes and listened to her heart pump blood. It was soothing to her, giving her hope and fortitude, but also exposing just how fragile she really was. Nothing more than a living being, so weak, she was brought to her knees by a torrent of nature. She was a servant of nature, and for some reason, she felt at ease gazing at the blueness of the sea.

Strangely, Ériu felt revitalised and elevated in this mystical world, instantly jumping to her feet. The mouth of the cave faced the sea, and was surrounded by steep grassy mounds the entire way around it. She had no other option than to climb up, as the only other one would be to go to the sea and after all, living so far away from it meant she never learnt to swim.

The grass was soft and buoyant as she clawed her way up the large hill. Ériu loved nothing more than to walk in her bare feet, especially on grass such as this, which seemed to nuzzle and caress her naked toes. It reminded her of the pond beside her house where she used to cool off on hot summer days. The water used to massage her feet and soak up her troubles. She had nothing to care about then. She scolded her naivety. You cannot act like a baby anymore. Beyond the cover of the hills hid an overflowing forest. For a moment she was captivated by it. Birch trees reached high into the air, tightly packed together, with their shaggy green foliage hanging low to the ground. The path through led into darkness, and was shrouded by a veil of hanging shrubbery.

Thud, thud, thud, thud, thud, thud.

She stopped breathing.


Thud, thud, thud, thud, thud, thud.


It was coming from inside the forest. She wanted to turn and run, but something stopped her. I can’t move. She slowly wandered towards the forest, meandering along carelessly to the beats of the wood. Thud, thud, thud, thud, thud, thud. Ériu was conscious that she was not in control of her own body. She tried to scream but her mouth would not open, her voice box wouldn’t respond. She thought back to the shock in the cave, and how much it hurt her. I don’t think I can face that again. The closer she came to the forest, the harder she wanted to turn back. But she couldn’t. I need to go in.

And then she saw it.

A face stared out at her from the jungle. The pale complexion and the bushy brown hair was unmistakable against the greyness of the surrounding forest. She stood at the edge of the tree line, frozen in place like a sculpted statue. She wanted to cry out to the person and ask for help. But she couldn’t even speak or move. Is he doing this to me?

Ériu let out a grunt as her face smashed into the grass. The ringing in her ears made her teeth chatter. For how long she lay there, she could not tell. The sharp taste of blood mixed with her salty tears woke her from her daze, causing her to sit up quickly. She was cold and it was beginning to get dark. A deep shade of red was dispersing throughout the sky, sending shafts of red light glinting through gaps in the cloud. The sky is tainted. That scared her and she couldn’t afford to be scared. Right now, she had to be brave. For mother. Ériu knew she had to go after the face. The face in the bushes could be her one chance of getting home.

With that, she stood up and darted into the trees. She flitted past them with a spectral grace, glancing off trees and jumping high over fallen branches. Soon she was deep in the forest. Surrounded by a marauding blackness which made her feel like she was being suffocated in a box. Nevertheless, she pressed on, her ears pricked up listening for the thuds again. Thud, thud, thud, thud, thud, thud. She grinded to a halt. Her head turned towards the direction the noise was coming from and she began to run, her strides becoming long and swift as she navigated her way through the swirling forest. This time, she was approaching the noise of her own free will and would not be rendered helpless so easily again. Her cascading dash had now become a slow trot and she jogged through the forest with a rhythmic agility. She had not noticed it before, she had been running to fast to hear anything; But the gentle chirp of the forest had been replaced by a bouncing flow of throbbing beats, a drumming that reverberated throughout the wildwood, vibrating individual leaves from their nesting places. Ériu’s own heart seemed to be beating in time with the mysterious rhythm. She clutched her hands tightly to her chest, feeling the gentle thump of the muscle that she so relied on. Each beat was precious, each beat was life, and life meant getting home. The drumming was getting louder and louder with each step. By now, young Ériu had stopped jogging and was creeping through the dim shadows on the canopy floor. Ahead of her lay a huge clearing in the trees. She ducked behind some tree roots and took a deep breath before taking a look.

The clearing was misty and grey, the only colour came from the shafts of dying light that penetrated through the leaves of the tall trees and caused strange shadows to dance across the milky grove. Stone formations surrounded the outside, perfectly cut rock stacked high into the air , standing firm like the Roman soldiers she read about in her history book. What really caught Ériu’s attention was the man standing in the centre of the clearing. He was ghostly pale with a deathly stare and hair that seemed to be trying to run away from him. It was long and shaggy and merged with the beard on his face as if two mangy brown dogs were trying to mate on his head. The drum he beat was small, but the skin seemed to explode every time the strange man hit it. He wore very little, other than a long billowing cloak that was pinned tightly around his neck and a small loincloth that barely covered his manhood. I am embarrassed, I should be scared, but I’m embarrassed. If he tries to hurt me I will cut it off and feed it to him. Her bravado did not last long when he began to sing, his voice a sweet cacophony of echo and thunder.

Every word cut through Ériu like a sharp blade.

 Oh passes Ériu

With her flaming locks,
The saga of saints
Over, as she stops.


Oh passes Ériu
And none can deny.
Returned now to home
To calm stormy skies.


Oh passes Ériu
Tyrants did do war,
With saintly wisdom
They ravaged a storm.


Oh passes Ériu
A princess to the grove
Oh passes Ériu
A spirit of love.


He said my name. He knows who I am, and he knows I’m here.

“You can come out now girl, there is no need to hide from me,” he cackled in a hoarse tone. His speaking voice was nothing like the gentle voice that had erupted from him when he sang. It ripped and scratched at her eardrums. She cowered behind the roots of the tree, all bravery evaporated out of her, leaving her a trembling hulk of a girl in the face of this aloof man. “Girl,” he commanded, “stand up or I will make you stand up.” If I stand up, he will attack me, I need to get out of he-

Her body froze up. Oh no, please not this, not again. The more she tried to fight it and move, the more intense the imperious effect was.
“I will not hurt you, I am trying to help you.”
Liar, liar, liar. She wanted to scream and shout at him, to attack him, to hurt him, to kill him, but she couldn't even move. Her body began to move of its own accord, and before she knew it, she had sauntered past the stacked stones and into the dim glow of the sunlit expanse. She faced the old man’s leering face. Up close, his features were cracked and broken, wrinkles and pockmarks covered the entirety of his face. He looks like an old mutt. They faced each other like they were about to duel. He still beats his drum. What kind of monster is this man?

He released her from his death grip and she dropped from the air with an unnatural poise, landing softly on her knees before the cloaked figure.

“Who are you.” She croaked weakly, unable to muster any courage as she stared him down. “Why are you doing this to me?” Tears began to fall from her eyes. Ériu felt weak and ashamed at herself. He stopped beating his drum and began to speak, his deep voice seeped in knowledge and history.
“Crying does not make you weak little one, pearls thrive in the wetness of the ocean, becoming brighter and more precious than any other jewel. You my sweet darling are the shimmering gem we have all been waiting for.” He walked towards her, extending his arm for her to take. Ériu’s wet eyes glared at his, His eyes are black, there is no colour. She was reluctant to accept his help but she took his rough hand anyway and let him guide her to her feet.
“I want to go home, can you please help me?” she whimpered, shifting her weight from one foot to another, occupying her mind in this awkward moment. The old man gazed at her with a quiet intention, before saying the word that made her heart sink.
“No,” still holding her hand, he brought himself close to her face so his inky black eyes were level with hers. “You see Ériu, this land upon which you have found yourself has been waiting for your return. For thousands of years the balance of our ancient continent has been upset, the spirits are embroiled in an age of despair and darkness and they need their vessel to appease them. You, young princess, are the vessel.”
She felt like her head was about to explode. Why does he call me princess? She felt nothing but confusion and annoyance as he stared at her with a longing expectance. “Shut up!” she bellowed, done was she trying to reason with this psycho. “Take me home, now, and stop talking of this spirit nonsense, there is no such thing.”
“I am afraid Ériu, there is and you will not be going anywhere. Ever.”
I should of known, he is going to hurt me.
“Oh I am not just going to hurt you,” he goaded as a twisted grin appeared on his face. “For you see princess, I am a Dread Sage and we draw our power from instability and imbalance in the world. You are the only thing that stands between me and ultimate power and I am not about to give that up.”
With that, Ériu turned and ran, sprinting as fast as she could towards the cover of the forest. However the old Sage had other plans and Ériu felt her feet give way from beneath her, sliding to a halt on the soft grass. She quickly turned on to her back but the old man was already upon her, a blade brandished in his hand. Where did he get that? She backed up until her head banged against one of the grey stones. She kicked and screamed and clawed at his beard, tearing shreds away from the already patchy facial hair.
“I truly am sorry,” he lamented. As he spoke the words he grabbed the scruff of her long dress and buried the knife deep in her gut. She grunted as blood spattered from her mouth. Ériu lay there with her hands clasped around the hilt of the dirk; it felt exactly as she would of expected cold steel too feel stuck inside her. A wild abyss surrounded her and she was back in the darkness of the cave. She smelt apple pie and thought of mother.








 

© 2013 Owenh1


Author's Note

Owenh1
I have only went over it a few times, so dont be surprised if you spot some mistakes :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
Added on June 19, 2013
Last Updated on June 19, 2013
Tags: Fantasy, Historical fiction, Ireland, story, sage, nature, youth, death

Author

Owenh1
Owenh1

Belfast, United Kingdom



Writing
Beastly Love Beastly Love

A Poem by Owenh1