Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Paige H

My fingers strummed in sequences of three, tapping their repetitive rhythm on the lid of my paper coffee cup. The hollow echo quietly resonated through the steaming liquid. I was a fidgeter, and in times of impatience my constant need for motion increased in severity. The sun was beginning to peek through the clouds and I could feel the slight warmth as a few rays managed to penetrate the cloud cover that had cloaked the sky since I had awoken that morning. The light softly fell through the thick, pitted glass casting shadows across my closed eyelids as the lead separating the panes blocked strips of the glow. The bell on the door quietly twinkled and I gazed up from my table, tucked in the far corner, glancing to see if Molly had finally arrived. We were scheduled to meet here for our weekly “conversation,” but she was running uncharacteristically late. An older gentleman exited the coffee shop slowly, nodding his head at someone holding the door. I watched as a young, imposing man swiftly entered the shop, easily pushing aside the heavy, antiquated door. I watched him from my secluded spot in the corner. He was tall, quite so, and lanky; his long fingers pushed back the dark curls that framed his face. He wore all black; skinny jeans, t-shirt, and loosely woven sweater. It hung from his shoulders and accentuated his thin frame. He was attractive, and I suppose I was staring, for I found myself meeting his piercing eyes, unable to look away. I have written you down now you wi-

            “Hello?” The ringing of my mobile abruptly ended the intense moment of eye contact.

            “Piper. Flynn. Collins.”

F**k. I’d forgotten to check the caller ID.

            “Hello Mother.”

            “I received a very interesting phone call from your brother yesterday. He seemed to think that you were not coming home for the summer. I told him he must by incorrect in that assertion, for surely that couldn’t be the case, now could it?”

            “Well s**t Mum. I guess I forgot to mention that Molly and I rented a flat in London and I got a job so I have to stay on this side of the pond for the summer. Did I really forget to mention that? How absolutely silly of me! I am such a space sometimes.” I retorted, my words dripping with sarcasm. I looked up from the table. The boy was standing waiting for his drink. He looked at me quizzically as I continued on my rant. “Anyways Mother, if you have no further inquisitions for me, I really must be getting back to the important business that it is imperative I attend to. Have a wonderful summer and perhaps we can get together sometime next year.”

            “PIPE-” I tapped the screen, ending the call abruptly before my mother could berate me.

            The boy, opened his mouth to say something when Molly came bursting through the door, frantically waving in my general direction as she called out my name. As she approached, the tall stranger shook his head, pushed his curls from his forehead and left with his beverage, swiftly cutting through the people waiting in line to order. I followed his movements with my eyes as Molly began to speak.

            “I am so absolutely sorry I’m late, Piper. I feel awful, but you will never believe what just happened.”

            Molly was my best friend from University. We’d met on the third day of school, just as I had been beginning to wonder if I’d made a huge mistake in moving to a foreign country to attend university. My brother had dropped me off at St. Andrews on the day of freshman orientation. My parents, as per usual, were absent. My father had said that he had a “very important international businessmen’s” meeting with his “very important international businessmen” colleagues and was therefore unable to attend this turning point in my life. Big surprise there. My mother, on the other hand, had decided it was more important that she and my sister squeeze in an adequate amount of shopping time before my sister started her senior year of high school (so that she could make the “best impressions for her final year at Middleburg”), than it was for her to help me move to another country.

My brother, being the only individual in my family who actually gave a s**t, after helping me set up my dorm, hugged me and left to return to New York. So went the only person on the entire European continent with whom I had any ties. I was completely alone. Two days later while hurrying across the grassy common area, having not made a single friend in the entirety of that time, I dropped my raincoat that had been slung over the top of my wool messenger bag. Molly had called out for me to stop and had handed it back to me. Upon hearing my American accent, she had excitedly suggested that we go get a beer after classes. Following my final lecture of the day, Molly and I had met up at an old bar in town and spent the rest of the night talking. The majority of that time was spent with us trading off, requesting various words for the other to say, and laughing at our differences in dialect; becoming increasingly uninhibited the more inebriated we became.

As the semester wore on, we both branched out a bit, but Molly was always there to hold my hair when I was puking my guts out after drinking too much, to help me calm down when school caused me to stress uncontrollably, and  to listen as I mumbled about my frustrations and emotional reservations. She had quickly become my best friend, closest confidant, and finally flat mate.

            “What just happened, Molly?” I asked, snapping back to the present and quickly forgiving her lack of punctuality.

            “Well, as I was walking here, I went to cross the street when, and this going to sound so completely cliché, but whatever, when this… guy, f*****g spills his f*****g coffee all over my shirt. He was all like flustered and offered to buy me a new one, so long story short… I have a date tomorrow night!” Molly gushed excitedly.

            “OHMYGOD. That’s actually very exciting and a completely legitimate excuse for nearly standing up your best friend at our bestie conference” I said teasingly.

            “I’m sorry!” She exclaimed again, “Are you going to be able to fend without me for the night? I know how much you absolutely adore me” she said with a grin.

            “I’m sure I will be able to think of something to do” I replied, sticking my tongue out.

            We talked for a while about the guy she had just run into. Molly was very excited because, as pretty as she was, most of the guys we ran into at clubs and bars were absolute jerks, and Molly did not handle rejection or her emotions very well. We were polar opposites in that respect. She had told me many times during her heartbroken tearfests, as I liked to call them, that she wished she could keep her emotions in check as well as I could; she wished that she was able to shut people out as thoroughly as I did. What she didn’t realize was how lonely it could be when you don’t let anyone in and how difficult it is to suffer through self-imposed isolation. I suppose that disparity was an integral part in why our friendship coalesced as well as it did.

            After a while, I remembered the young man I’d seen earlier. He intrigued me and, seeing as Molly was a London native unlike myself, I wondered if she’d run into him before.

            “Hey Molly.”

            “Mmmyessss?” She responded giggling.

            “I saw this guy in here earlier while I was waiting for you and-”

            “OOOH! Was he fit? He was fit. Did you get his number? Has my little Piper finally found a guy worthy of her attention?” She asked animatedly with a touch of sarcasm. Molly believed I was a bit too picky when it came to men.

            “No, I was wondering if you’d ever seen him before. He just seemed like an interesting person to talk to and my mother called before I could go speak with him.”

            “Wait, your mum called? Does she know that you’re staying here yet?”

            “Yup” I said, popping the ‘p,’ “apparently, Colton doesn’t know how to keep a secret.”

            “S**t. Well what did she say?”

            “Does it matter? I’m going to stay anyways. It’s not like they’ll miss me.” I responded.

            “I’m sorry Piper. That whole situation is just… it really sucks.” Molly said empathetically.

            “It’s all right. I’m used to it by this point.”

            I dropped the subject of the boy. I didn’t know who he was, or what was so intriguing about him, but I knew it wouldn’t go anywhere. It would be in my best interest to just drop the idea all together. Molly left then, she had a shift starting at 2:30 and I headed back to the flat. I walked the three blocks back to the building and cut into the alley that ran along the back side. The temperature dropped a bit as I stepped into the shadows cast by the two buildings. I ran my fingers along the wall, feeling the rough, grainy texture of the brick against my fingertips. I stopped in front of a portrait glued to the slightly crumbling wall. A small girl was depicted, reaching out for a heart-shaped balloon as it drifted out of her grasp on the tails of the wind. Something about the picture tugged at my heartstrings. There was something in the girl’s helplessness, her want for the balloon, squelched as it floated to unattainable heights that stirred something in me.

I pulled out my keys and turned away from the affective piece, twisting the metal in the stubborn lock. I thrust my weight against the door, forcing it inwards after slamming my hip into it repeatedly. I shut it behind me leaning, back to the wood, jamming the door closed. I flipped the deadbolt and proceeded up the creaky stairs to Molly’s and my flat on the fourth floor. I proceeded down the hallway and stopped in front of our door. I entered the flat and tossed my keys in the bowl on the ledge by the entrance. Stepping around the ledge, I entered the kitchen and flipped on a light. The kitchen was relatively clean; a few dishes were stacked in the sink, but not overly messy by our standards. My stomach grumbled loudly and I opened the fridge only to find it empty with the exception of a stalk of sad looking celery and some almond milk. To the store I go I suppose. My stomach grumbled in agreement. I turned and proceeded back the way I’d come, running down the stairs, out on to the street, driven by my hunger.

Arriving at the store about 5 minutes later, I grabbed a basket and began throwing various items in as briskly strolled along each aisle; quinoa, apples, peanut butter, yogurt, tofu. The basket quickly became increasingly heavy and I remembered that Molly wasn’t there to aid me in carrying all of these items home. I proceeded to the checkout counter and began to place my items on the conveyer. What was I going to do with myself tomorrow night? I could always stay home, but that just seemed a bit boring. It always felt strange going out without Molly, but alas, I didn’t want to end up being pathetic and boring as she went out and had great time.

I handed the cashier my card and grabbed the bags of groceries. They were a bit cumbersome, but I figured I could manage well enough. The automated doors slid open as I exited the market and stumbled my way back to the flat garnering a few sympathetic looks and chuckles from various passerbies. Upon entering the flat, I slid the bags onto the counter and pulled out an apple. It was about four o’clock, a bit early for dinner and too late for lunch, but I was starving. I scarfed down the apple partially satiating my now voracious appetite and began to place the rest of the groceries in their respective places. I slid onto the sofa and flipped on the television, choosing some plot-less show that barely held my attention. My mind began to wander to the man I’d seen earlier. He was so intense, and this intrigued me. I didn’t get involved with people very often; they usually just ended up disappointing me, so this interest was a strange feeling for me. I drifted off with thoughts of this intriguing man infiltrating their way into my semi-conscious thoughts.

I was abruptly shaken from my dream by the thud of the front door. I looked over at the clock. It was 7:30 already? I guess I’d fallen asleep.

“Hey bed-head. How was the rest of your day?” Molly inquired.

            “Fine. I went to the grocery and got some food, but I couldn’t really carry that much so we’ll have to go again tomorrow or something” I responded, running my fingers through my tangled waves.

            “Alrighty! Well, what do you want to eat? I believe it’s my night to cook, yes?”

            “Yeah. Tofu and quinoa sound good?”

            “Sounds lovely!” Molly replied cheerfully. She made her way into the kitchen and began preparing our dinner. I continued watching the mindless program until Molly brought over a steaming plate for me. We ate in companionable silence and watched the television until our eyelids became heavy. I stood up, stacking her empty plate on mine and went to set the stack in the sink. I blew Molly a kiss; she “caught it” with a smile and returned one, bidding me goodnight. Padding down the hallway to my room, I slipped my worn tie-dyed shirt over my head and pulled my long hair up into a messy bun. I brushed my teeth and clambered beneath the chilly sheets, shuddering slightly as my body attempted to warm them. Flipping the light switch, I was plunged into darkness; my curtains drawn shut so the light from the streetlamps couldn’t penetrate the black. My eyelids fluttered shut and the dark haired boy began to creep into the edges of my mind; his piercing eyes met mine as I drifted softly into unconsciousness in the overwhelming darkness of my room.



© 2013 Paige H


Author's Note

Paige H
I love constructive criticism. It really helps me improve my writing. If anyone has any ideas/comments, feel free to let me know!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I greatly enjoy the relationship between the two girls. It's hard to catch a genuine friendship with words sometimes. Their dialogue gave me a very clear insight on how the work as a pair.

I have two notes, it seems cumbersome to have Piper go home just to leave again. I read it and was wondering why she didn't just go to the store in the first place.

I would also suggest that you elaborate a little bit about the boy. His description is good, but I was left wanting to understand what was happening in her brain a little more.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I really like your dialogue, and your first person descriptive was excellent. Please read and review my book, i only have 3 chapters but there will be more to come. Its called The Road to Eros, its a love story that takes place in 1917. Please be honest, don't afraid to say its bad and needs work. lol

Posted 10 Years Ago


The only mistake I could find was:
I handed the cashier my card and grabbed the bags of groceries. They were a bit cumbersome, but I figured I could manage well enough. The automated doors slid open as I exited the market and stumbled my way back to the flat garnering a few sympathetic looks and chuckles from various passerbies.
Passerbies is supposed to be spelled passerby.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Paige H

10 Years Ago

Thanks for looking it over! I shall fix that promptly :)
ApplesAreAmazing

10 Years Ago

No problem! =)
Wow, I only made it through about half the chapter because I have to go somewhere, but it sounds amazing! I'm so glad there's a chapter after this. You're an amazing writer!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Paige H

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much! I'm glad you enjoyed what you read :)
ApplesAreAmazing

10 Years Ago

You're welcome! I just realized how many times I typed "amazing". =P
loved this! waiting for chapter 2 :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Paige H

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much! I'm writing it now :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

318 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 6, 2013
Last Updated on June 6, 2013
Tags: love, teens, scotland, london, university, family, disappointment


Author

Paige H
Paige H

Writing
Defeated Defeated

A Poem by Paige H


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Paige H


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Paige H