Page 1 - 5

Page 1 - 5

A Chapter by Shan

1
In the far north, a loud explosion collapsed the exit tunnel of the miners of Røros.

"Oh no, it's the mine!" cried Lucy.
"Come on Rudy, we have to go find daddy," she started rushing to the mine with her Saint Bernard.

2
"The tunnel is completely blocked; we can't do anything without light," informed the head-miner, as the sun vanished behind the horizon.

"But today is the last daylight of the year, there's no sunlight the next 12 days," interrupted Lucy.

"What about the torches, can we use them?" someone suggested.

"You fool, do you want to blow up the whole mine?" yelled the head-miner.  "Don't worry Lucy, your dad and his buddies are tough fellows. The air well will keep them going for a while," looking at Lucy reassuringly.

3
Lucy ran to the air well and yelled, "Daddy, daddy, can you hear me?"

There was no reply.

"Quiet Rudy," ordered Lucy.  The giant dog stopped barking at the well and looked at Lucy trying to comprehend, "Let's go Rudy. We need to get some food."

4
Lucy and other kids in the village lowered bread and water down the air well and sung their childhood lullabies for the night.

"Listhen, a can ‘ear my Luthee," whispered Lucy’s dad, Nicholas, in the mine with his mouth full of bread.

5
On the way home, Lucy stopped by her grandmother’s house to tell her the bad news.

“Lucy, I’m so sorry,” hesitated Grandma. “There is something I have to tell you. Have you ever wondered why my name is Lucy, your mom’s was Lucy and you are Lucy?”

“No,” lost for a second, Lucy asked, “Why?”

“Because we are the keepers of Lyset, the stone of light,” grandma said as she took off the stone pendant. “This is yours now.”

“You must chase the sun southward to recharge the stone and bring back the light,” grandma continued. “And do take Rudy with you.”

“But he is a coward, he will only slow me down,” protested Lucy looking at Rudy dozing off by the fireplace.


© 2012 Shan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow this is a pretty heavy topic for a kids book but I'm fascinated to find out what happens with this stone of light. Are you illustrating this one too? What were your inspirations for this story?

Posted 11 Years Ago


Shan

11 Years Ago

I wanted a different view to Christmas today. So I collected pass stores and make a new one here. Is.. read more
Horizon K.

11 Years Ago

I'd have to think about that one. The only thing off the top of my head is imaginary creatures or s.. read more
Shan

11 Years Ago

This book may be gearing towards older kids 8 and up. My question was how, do you think, I can readj.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
Added on November 11, 2012
Last Updated on November 11, 2012


Author

Shan
Shan

port angeles, WA



About
I was trained as an engineer but maybe I should be an artist. I write children's picture book. more..

Writing
Page 6 - 8 Page 6 - 8

A Chapter by Shan


Page 9 - 12 Page 9 - 12

A Chapter by Shan


1 1

A Chapter by Shan