Chapter 1: Faith meets Steve

Chapter 1: Faith meets Steve

A Chapter by paparapapa

Chapter 1

3 months before the break-up

Steve Grant’s POV

Finally. Senior Year. Everyone probably thinks that this is the time when hell breaks loose for the seniors. But as for me? I think I’ve had enough. I have always been one of the popular guys in school. And even though I’m part of a lot of clubs, I’m better known for being a player. THE player. Yes, I change girlfriends every now and then like they’re toys that I’ve lost interest and another one comes along. Back then, I was satisfied with just screwing girls, but now, I think something has changed. I’m no longer content with girls who just want to have a piece of my body. I think I’m looking for something more. Argh, this definitely makes me feel gay.

          As soon as Julian Wilson entered the room, he immediately came to me and sat on the chair on my right. “Hey Steve! How’s it going man? How was your break? And… how many?” He was wearing his smug face and by that look, I could already understand what he was talking about. But before I could even respond, David Garcia entered the room. He is my other best friend. Out of the three of us, he is considered the ‘good guy’ since he doesn’t go around the campus screwing girls. Moreover, he is more of the silent type and he only tends to become talkative when he is with us. He is the total opposite of Julian who I think has a future of becoming a rapper.

                “Hey guys.” David greeted us as he sat on my left.

                Hey. I was just asking Steve about his break and how many girls he banged.” Julian said with his eyebrows moving up and down again. At first, when we were just freshmen, it really annoyed the hell out of me, but since we’ve been friends for 3 years now, it just became a natural thing and it doesn’t have that much effect on me now.

                “Well, I don’t want to talk about it. Break’s over so let’s just talk about something else.” I sighed as I think about what their reactions might be when I tell them what I have been thinking all this time.  Julian might have some violent reactions while David might be a little shocked but will just shrug it off. Oh well, change is the only thing that’s permanent in this world. Right?

                “Hey, that sigh meant something! What are you thinking about Steve? Is it a new plan? Who is it this time?” I laughed as I saw how curious Julian was. He definitely did not change over the break.

                “I’m thinking… that I don’t want this anymore.” I mumbled, and when I didn’t hear them utter a word, I looked up at their faces to look for signs of any reaction. I tried to suppress a laugh when I saw the weird and confused look on their faces. I decided to continue what I wanted to say to enlighten them on what I was talking about. “I don’t want to continue screwing girls anymore. I want to have something more.” Okay, I give up. That really sounded gay.

                Few seconds passed until I heard Julian laugh his head off. “Man. Haha. YMML!” He said those letters as if trying to imitate a hot blonde girl.

                “What the heck is YMML?” David said with his eyebrows forming a straight continuous line, mirroring mine.

                “Haha. I’m sorry. It’s just that… that was really gay Steve. Haha. And btw, YMML means You Make Me Laugh!” He was laughing much harder now. If we were in a different situation, I might find his ‘girly side’ funny, but now, I find it really annoying. I glanced at David who was trying to stifle his laughter but who wasn’t successful enough to hide his teasing smile.

                “Well, yeah, I know it sounds gay, but… I really mean it.” I really sounded serious so I hoped they’d take the hint to stop already with the teasing. David got it, but unfortunately, Julian didn’t.

                “So what now? You’re looking for a real girlfriend?” Julian said the last word slowly to emphasize that he was still teasing and that he really found this whole scenario funny.

                “Not really. I just want to have someone special. It could be a special friend. One who I could be myself when I’m with her.” I told them while thinking of a person who will be perfect for that position.

                “Wow. You really are serious, man.” Julian said as if he really can’t believe what was happening in front of him.

                David ignored his comment and asked me “So, who will be that lucky girl?”

                “I still don’t know. Do you know anyone who can be that good but would still think of even talking to me?” I asked Julian since I know he knows all of the girls not only in our class but also in the whole campus.

                “How about we narrow them down? What would you like her to be?” Julian sounded serious right now. Totally different from the Julian a while ago. And that is what I like about him. He can be hilarious at times but he definitely knows when to take things seriously.

                “Hmm. It would be better if she won’t be popular. But she mustn’t be a loser either. And it would definitely be nice if she was also smart, so that we could talk about sensible things, and not just make out.” What I told them would really be the ideal girl. But come on, I very well know that my reputation precedes me. So I don’t think there would be that kind of girl who would even throw a glimpse at me. I sighed regretting the image that I have built all these years.

                As we were brainstorming of who will fit those descriptions, I heard the door open and there stood our geeky president, Faith Hill. She’s beautiful but not that hot. And she has these eyeglasses that try to cover her brown eyes. She has long dark brown and wavy hair. She’s also a few inches shorter than me, but she’s still taller compared to our other classmates. I can’t believe that I have only realized just now how pretty she is. She might not be like those cheerleaders that became my girlfriends, but she’s definitely not worlds apart from them. She has a different gorgeousness on her. As a brilliant thought crossed my mind, I looked at Julian’s face to see if he was thinking the same thing, but he was obviously looking at someone else. I followed his gaze and saw that he was looking at a girl who is shorter than Faith, but who is also gorgeous. I tried to recall her name but what I only remembered was that she is Faith’s best friend. I reminded myself to ask Julian about this girl.

                Since Julian was busy staring at what’s-her-name girl, I decided to ask David about Faith, but he was leaning on the arm of his chair as if he was sleeping. I decided to just postpone the interrogation until lunchtime. As if on cue, the bell rang to signal the start of classes. My classmates started to go into their own seats. I absentmindedly stared at Faith and felt a smile show up on my face.

                Lunchtime came and we hurriedly went into the cafeteria to get the best food. We need not hurry to find a place to sit since there has been an unspoken rule regarding where the popular people should sit. Once we bought our food and sat on our designated place, I decided to ask Julian the thing that I was itching to ask him since first period. “Julian, what do you think of Faith Hill?” I asked coolly to avoid giving him anything that he might misinterpret.

                “Faith Hill? Our class president? Why the sudden interest?” Julian asked, confused.

                Since I know that I won’t be able to escape his curiosity, I chose to just tell him what was on my mind. “I was thinking that… she may be the one.”

                “The ONE?” he exclaimed with a horrible look on his face. But then he might have thought of what I was talking about so his face relaxed and sighed. “Oh. Yeah. I forgot. Well, she might be perfect as a special someone. But, man, she’s not that hot.” He continued.

                “I know. But I’m not looking for a girl to have sex with and make out with. I already told you that.” I exasperatedly told him. I really hoped he’d get it this time.

                “Fine. I think… she’d be good for you. I mean, she’s really smart. She’s the 2nd in our class and well, she’s really friendly. I also heard that she comes from a very good family and that she is a very good daughter. She’s not that rich. Let’s just say that she ‘s from a middle class family.” Julian informed me. I can’t believe how well he knows her even though we were all classmates since freshman year. The confusion might have shown on my face since he read what I was thinking about and commented “It’s not that freaky that I know a lot about her. It’s even weirder that you don’t know anything about her knowing that we have been classmates for years.”

                I understood what he was talking about. I was too busy minding my own business that I didn’t really care about anything that doesn’t have to do with me. “Does she have a boyfriend?” I continued to ask Julian.

                “Well that I don’t know. But who cares man? You were the one who told me that you are not looking for a girlfriend. You just wanted a special person.” Julian was clearly mocking me. I chose to just let it go. I started to eat my meal and saw my friends do the same. I thought for a while and eventually decided that I’ll talk to Faith once classes end.

 

Faith Hill’s POV

                Kriiiing. Kriiiing.

                That’s it! Another day has passed. I can’t wait till I graduate and go to college. I know it would be awesome. I really love thinking about the future " of what I would be taking up and what I would be doing as a job. And if I start thinking about them, I start to daydream about these stuffs and I can’t seem to stop myself. Luckily or unfortunately, I really don’t know which is which, my best friend, Princess Williams interrupted my thoughts as I was about to go into my own world of dreams and fantasies.

                “Faith!” Princess shrieked. I know, I know. I can’t even understand why she was named Princess because first, she doesn’t act like one and second, well, she doesn’t act like one. She’s really loud, aggressive and tactless. But in her defense, she looks like one. She has this shiny straight blonde hair while I have this dark brown wavy hair. Furthermore, she’s really rich. She’s also been a loyal and sweet friend since we were dressing up as fantasy characters. I loved to dress up as Belle of Beauty and the Beast while she loved to dress up as Mulan. Now you see how different we are. But despite our differences, she has been my best friend, always and forever.

                “Were you thinking of going into your own world again?” She continued with a raised eyebrow. I laughed and mumbled an apology.

                “Well, come on now, my mom is on her way here.” She told me as she was making her way to the door.

                I scanned the room to know how long I have been thinking on my own. Most of my classmates had already gone home. Only about 5 or 6 people were left including me and Princess. I stood up and started putting my things in my bag when I heard footsteps coming towards me. I immediately thought it was Princess who was about to scold me again.

                “I know Princess, you don’t have to come here again and remind "“ my jaw literally dropped when I saw who was standing few inches " no scratch that, feet away from me. I mentally slapped my face to return to my own world, but then, he was still standing there.

                “Oh, I’m sorry. I really thought you were Princess since we were about to go home and I thought she was about to scold me since I was too slow. And I really thought her mother was already here and she was just about to call me. I really didn’t think it was you but "“ I was really talking rapidly and I think animatedly, God, please, no, when he interrupted my string of words.

                “Hey, it’s okay. It’s fine. I didn’t mean to surprise you.” He said while trying to hide a smile.

                I felt my cheeks growing warm. “Oh. Okay.” I murmured. I can’t manage to look up and ask him what he wants so I stayed still and occasionally shifted from one foot to another. I heard him clear his throat and so my instincts made me look at him even if I was really, really against it. Well, not really.

                “I know this really sounds weird, but… I want to be your friend. And. And. Uhm. I’m Steve, by the way.” He extended his hand like he wanted to shake hands with me.

                My eyes widened, surprised. Are you kidding me? Like who wouldn’t know you?! Oh, and on second thought… Steve Grant wants to be my friend?! That’s surely more shocking!

 



© 2011 paparapapa


Author's Note

paparapapa
Hey, I know it’s kind of boring since it’s just the first chapter and it’s only the introduction of characters, soooo, I hope you won’t give up on this. And, please do comment. Tell me if it’s bad so I can think of ways of improving it. Thank you!

P.S. Please subscribe if you like it. :)

P.S. Please don't forget to read the prologue. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This was definitely not boring, you described and opened up perfectly. However though, I feel that you didn't introduce the Faith Hill too well. The way you showed Steve Grant's thoughts, I could list a whole list of traits he might have. The simple line that said he thinks that finding the right girl who he can actually talk to means that you're gay states that he may very well be a player by heart. I could also point out many other things, but with Faith, the only thing I can spot is that she is innocent, and that's pretty much all I know about her. Just my opinion, you could have introduced Faith's character a little bit more.

Posted 12 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

well this was not boring at all...I enjoy teenage love ..its so romantic...will read the subsequent chapters progressively..I promise...however the start was a kick...loved it!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You introduced it in a way that i can see it in my mind anime-ly. You explained the characters to a point that it's as if they live right next door. You brought them to life and please continue telling their life story from beginning- to end. :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

great job playing with descriptions again, did a great job of showing the two characters and their traits. I agree with Tai though about showing Faith a little more. other then that, well done again!!:]

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

definitely not boring and your characters are amazing. will continue reading.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

First of all, I think it was interesting you started out with Steve's point of view rather than Faith's. I personally don't relate to him all that well - I'm more similar to David than Steve at this point - but I know people who like him and you portrayed him fairly. You've given us a man-w***e who isn't quite happy with his status as a man-w***e, who regrets pretty much his entire high school persona, and I bought it, which is a good thing.

I have less to say about Faith (I have to wonder if she's modeled after the country singer of the same name?) because she only has about half the time here that Steve does. Nothing wrong with that, the opposite could probably be said of the prologue, so it balances itself out. I like the vibe that Faith gives off, though, she has a sweet ordinariness that makes her instantly likeable.

If I had to point anything out, it's that you occasionally switch from past to present tense mid-sentence. It's a simple problem to fix though, so don't worry about it too much. Overall I enjoyed this piece, and found it fresh that you didn't rely on some overused cliche to thrust these two characters together, it was due to a simple epiphany, an endeavor at maturity by one of the main characters... in short, something that could actually happen.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I didn't think the first chapter is boring, I like Faith POV she is funny in how she see things. I have to tell you the truth it took me awhile to figure out that POV mean point of view, I know I'm a little slow. I am still working with a 256k processor in my head. Looking forward to the next chapter

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i really liked it, but the charater Faith could use more of a introduction,i loved the decrition of the charaters and i enjoyed this very much continue to write and read request me for the next chapter! C:

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Loved it. The Characters really shine through. I will be adding this to my library.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is good,I'm definitely intrigued..I'm just a little confused about one part..how old are they? Are they seniors in college b/c you mentioned a campus..or are they still in high school?

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was definitely not boring, you described and opened up perfectly. However though, I feel that you didn't introduce the Faith Hill too well. The way you showed Steve Grant's thoughts, I could list a whole list of traits he might have. The simple line that said he thinks that finding the right girl who he can actually talk to means that you're gay states that he may very well be a player by heart. I could also point out many other things, but with Faith, the only thing I can spot is that she is innocent, and that's pretty much all I know about her. Just my opinion, you could have introduced Faith's character a little bit more.

Posted 12 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

654 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on October 27, 2011
Last Updated on October 30, 2011
Tags: scorned, romance, love story, revenge


Author

paparapapa
paparapapa

Dreamland



About
If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth the writing. - Benjamin Franklin more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


101 101

A Poem by paparapapa