Chapter 4: One Step Closer

Chapter 4: One Step Closer

A Chapter by paparapapa

Chapter 4: One Step Closer

 

Faith’s POV:

 

                After that incident with Vanessa, Steve and I talked a lot during our free periods. I wasn’t that shy around him anymore so I already felt comfortable being myself when I’m with him. We’d talk about anything like how we share the same interests " watching NBA and How I Met Your Mother. We’d also argue on some things like who is much better, Kobe Bryant or Lebron James. We talked about just anything under the sun. I learned a lot about him and I’m really flattered that he shared some personal stuff about him. However, there are still some things he couldn’t open up to me like what’s with him and his parents. I totally understood him when he told me that and I promised him that I would wait until he’s ready to share it with me.

 

                Three weeks after we became friends, our friendship already grew so deep that there were times when Princess told me that she’s jealous since I’m replacing her with another best friend. I just laughed at her sentiments and reassured her that what I have with Steve is worlds and worlds apart from our friendship. I told Steve about the thing with Princess, and just like what I did, he just laughed it off.

 

                Every afternoon, I still go home with Princess. Our routine never changed. And that particular afternoon, Princess decided to interrogate me.

 

                “So what’s the real deal between you two?” she stared at me as if trying to extract information that I am trying to hide.

 

                “Between me and who?” I asked trying to look confused even though I already know who she was talking about.

 

                “Steve. Duh,” she rolled her eyes at me.

 

                “Well, since I think you still haven’t gotten it yet, we’re actually… friends!” I exclaimed jokingly.

 

                “C’mon, you already like him, don’t you?” she replied ignoring what I just said.

 

                “What?! What made you think that?” my eyes were wide with shock. She knows that I find Steve attractive but never did we talk about romantic feelings when it comes to him.

 

                “I’ve seen the way you looked at him,” she told me. I don’t know how she managed to make it sound like ‘duh.’

 

                “I look at him just like how I look at the other guys,” I countered.

 

                “Yeah right. Well guess what? I’m the one who can see your face, not you,” she smirked.

 

                I rolled my eyes since I can’t think of a good comeback to that, and I knew that if I argued more, she’ll just think of another thing that will prove her point. I didn’t want to hear it so I closed my mouth and decided to just shut up.

 

                “Now you see it,” she continued when she realized I didn’t have any plans of responding to her argument.

 

                When we arrived at my home, I thanked them again, and as I started to walk away from the car, Princess called out to me. “Think about it Faith, ‘kay?”

 

                I looked at her and smiled, and I know that she got what I wanted to say " ‘I will.’

 

                That night, I was thrown into deep thinking. What Princess told me really bugged me. If I really am in love with him, then I’m in so much trouble. I’ve read lots of stuff " stories, articles " that have been a testimony of how hard the situation is when one of the two friends falls in love with the other. It can either make or break a relationship. My thoughts were disturbed by a knock on my door.

 

                “Honey, can I come in?” my mom asked.

 

                “Sure mom. What’s up?” I asked her when she sat at the edge of my bed.

 

                “Well, I was just checking on you since your dad and I thought that you were out of it while we were having dinner a while ago,” she replied. I can see the worry on her face.

 

                “Oh. That,” I sighed. I thought of whether to share what I was thinking. She saw that I was hesitating so she grabbed my hand.

 

                “You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to. But always remember that we’re here for you,” she smiled at me.

 

                As she was about to leave my room, I called out to her. “Mom? What if you are unsure about something and you can’t find a way to be certain and get the answer to your question? What would you do?”

 

                She fell silent for a while, and when I was about to tell her to just forget it, she replied “Well, if it were me, I would just let things flow. I mean, if I can’t find the answer by searching for it, then what better way there is than to just wait and let it come to me. There are times when the brain can’t answer all of our questions and it would just be so much better if we leave it to our hearts to feel it " to feel for the answer. That’s what I think,” she ended with a smile.

 

                I smiled back and realized again how lucky I am to have her. “Thanks mom. Goodnight.” And with that, she left my room.

 

Steve’s POV

 

                I still can’t believe that a time really came when I would be happy and excited to go to school. And I know that this is because of her. She changed me completely and I have her to thank for that. I don’t want to label any feelings that I have for her, but all I know right now is that I’m happy and contented just having her beside me. She really is a special person to me, and I don’t ever want to lose this friendship that I have with her.

 

                After I was done preparing myself for school, I went to the kitchen to get something to eat. However, when I saw that my father was there toasting some bread, I turned around slowly so that he won’t sense my presence, but it was too late. He already heard me.

 

                “Hey Steve, I toasted some bread for you. Eat first before you leave,” he smiled. He has always been like this. Even though I have given him the silent treatment since 4 years ago when he divorced my mom, he still acts as if he can’t feel my anger towards him. He’s so insensitive that he always gets in my nerves. I only talk to him when I really need to.

 

                Once again, I ignored him. And as I was about to leave the house, I heard him sigh and mumble “Take care, son.”

 

                Yeah. As if that would make me forgive him. That wouldn’t bring back my mom to me. My day started bad so I just hoped that I’d be able to talk to her first thing this morning to brighten up my day. Geez, it really feels like I’m too dependent on her. Oh, now that I think of it, I still don’t have her number. I mentally slapped myself and told myself how dumb I am for not asking earlier. I could have started and ended all of these past few days with her making me feel that every day is worth living. She always gives me that feeling every time we talk about various things. I felt excited just thinking of hearing her voice first thing in the morning and last thing before I fall asleep. I’ll definitely get her number today. I hope she won’t take it the wrong way. She’s just a friend, after all.

 

                I arrived at school a little late today so the class was already starting when I entered the room. There goes one chance of talking to her and asking for her number. Tsk. When I was about to go to my own seat, I saw that someone was already sitting on it. But before I could ask the teacher what is happening, he called out my name.

 

                “Steve, I told the class a while ago when you were too busy doing something else,” he paused for a while with a pointed look on his face. “…that I would pair you up for a certain project. To know more about it, just ask your assigned partner,” he continued.

 

                “And that would be?” I asked him.

 

                “Well, I grouped you alphabetically so…” he scanned his list for a while murmuring names of other pairs that he saw. “Oh there, Steve Grant and Faith Hill.”

 

                “Thank you,” I smiled widely when he told me the name that I really wanted to hear. I approached her and gave her my best smile. “Hey,” I greeted her.

 

                “Hi,” she smiled at me showing her pearly white teeth. She’s really pretty.

 

                “Last pair, Princess Williams and Julian Wilson,” and with that he looked up at us from reading his list. I saw Julian’s face lighten up when he heard what our teacher announced. There really is something going on between him and Princess. I smiled at the idea. They would be perfect for each other.

 

                “So, class, talk among yourselves about what you plan to do about the project. I’ll be back here 10 minutes before time’s up, okay?” our teacher grinned as if he was too happy that he’d get some quality time away  from us.

 

                “So what’s this project all about?” I turned and looked at her. And that was her cue to start talking about the project dynamically. I like how she can make learning so much fun, or yeah, I admit it, maybe it was just looking at her enjoying what she was talking about that made me have fun also. When she finished talking, I was still fascinated that I wasn’t able to respond immediately.

 

                “Oh no. I blabbed again, didn’t I?” she bit her lip and her face looked like she was fighting an internal battle.

 

                “Yeah. Kind of,” I told her and gave her a teasing smile.

 

                “You should have stopped me!” she yelled but I knew she was just faking the anger in her voice, so I responded with a laugh. And shortly after, she laughed with me. That’s when I remembered to ask her what I have been waiting all day.

 

                “Ahm, Faith, I think I’ll need your number since we’ll be talking about our project, do you mind giving it to me?” I asked her slowly and full of uncertainty.

 

                “Wow, we’ve been friends for weeks now and we don’t even have each other’s number. What’s wrong with us?” she asked wearing a horrified look. I tried to mirror her look which made her laugh. She then scribbled her number on my notebook, and when she was done she looked up, winked at me, and flirtily said “Call me,” while holding her hand near her right ear as if it was a cellular phone. It made my heart stop beating for a while until I heard her burst out laughing. Instantly, I heard myself laughing with her. That’s how infectious she is.



© 2011 paparapapa


Author's Note

paparapapa
Hey again. Personally, I don’t like how I wrote this chapter. :| Buuut, I want to hear what you think about it, so please do comment. Tell me if there are too many filler parts or if the story’s dragging so that I could take out some of the not-that-necessary stuff. And what do you think of Steve? Or Faith? You’ll definitely make me happy if you’ll share your opinion. Thank you. :)

P.S. Please subscribe if you like it. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is one of the best chapters I've read so far, great job! I loved how you lengthened the tiny conversations and how you cut off any blabbering. Well, that's just me though, I prefer to have every tiny little detail in a story I read. Another great write!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Ooooh... Princess and Julian? I never actually saw that coming, but just like Steve said, they seemed perfect for each other. But with Princess's boy caution attitude, I'm thinking no. But who knows? Maybe they will :D It doesnt drag you on and on and there isn't trivial blabbering. Steve 's reaction to his parent problems just are like my reactions to whenever I have parent problems. It tells how hard his life really is and how much he needs someone to pull him out of the fiery abyss of hell. Faith meanwhile, seems to be the opposite. To me, she was like the angel that brought Steve back to life. She had a loving family, a decent life, just right for her to be the way she is in the story. :3

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love this chapter, it was really funny and your characters a building up great. Steve is my favorite, he seems really sweet and seems to care but he it also seems as though he just wants have a good time. Another great write.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This chapter, like the others so far, are really good. I like Faith and Steve both! Good characters. And I like how you put Steve's dad in this chapter a little bit.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is another good chapter, the second half is a little slow but I like the exchange between Faith and Princess.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is really nice. I love the way that their friendship has bloomed. This is so realistic! It's not like the love-at-first-site kinda story. This is just really great. Wish I could write romance stories like this!

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is one of the best chapters I've read so far, great job! I loved how you lengthened the tiny conversations and how you cut off any blabbering. Well, that's just me though, I prefer to have every tiny little detail in a story I read. Another great write!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

good good. maybe a little re-reading and it would be even better.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well done [AGAIN] I like the way you lengthened out the time they had been friends[ 3 weeks] and how they are both relizing that they love eachother for who they are. Okay, I'm gonna keep reading!!!:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I liked it but I think it is starting to drag a bit. I think in the next chapter you should start to write about the present, you know, after the friendship ends :) I think both characters are awesome :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

621 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 27, 2011
Last Updated on October 30, 2011
Tags: scorned, romance, love story, revenge


Author

paparapapa
paparapapa

Dreamland



About
If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth the writing. - Benjamin Franklin more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


101 101

A Poem by paparapapa