Generations; Ode

Generations; Ode

A Poem by Mischa Keats
"

This is just an ode that I wrote as an assignment for my english class. I'm looking for constructive criticism before I turn it in.

"

There is a rare type of youth,
a new type of youth,
that lives to live.

They stay up all night,
writing love poems to the moon,
and crawl under the covers when the sky goes pastel, 
 to watch their sunrise lullabies.

Soft, summer nights are spent in backseats;
listening to static, watching stars,
whispering the words their elders have forgotten how to say.

Grease-stained napkins bear the proverbs of the modern adolescent,
scribbled down in some diner that smells of nicotine and sex.

On Friday nights,
the kids all flock to sketchy venues.
Someone always plays racket,
and the crowd laughs between sets.

A million nights are spent driving to Brooklyn,
for no particular reason.
As a bird would fly south,
the young migrate to a glowing, humming,
monster of steel and concrete that answers to “city.”

This will be the first generation to never grow old.

© 2010 Mischa Keats


Author's Note

Mischa Keats
Constructive criticism on anything. (Please remember that this is an assignment. I was under a lot of requirements, so I'm really just looking for help on technicalities I may have overlooked.)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I... adore this piece. Then again, something tells me that I will adore most (if not all) of your pieces. I really can't critique you on anything that hasn't already been said. But, beautiful.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nice, Thanks For Sharing

Posted 13 Years Ago


I don't review many poems these days, but this was enjoyable so I'll try to help you out!

One line think you should definitely work on...
"talking about the things their elders have forgotten about."
-- Every line up to this point is great, but this is a bit bland. Twist something around, throw in a creative adjective or two, something along the lines of... "speaking braver psalms their timeless elders have passed and forgotten"

A few words to exclude...
Take out all in "the kids all flock", I think it's more straight-forward.
I'd swap "is always playing" with "always plays", making the verb active and stronger. Also, not a fan of the quotes around "racket" but do like "city" in quotes.

Overall though this is a strong, clever piece, you'll do well on your assignment for sure.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think it is well written but I agree with Brian you should balance out the long and short sentances a bit. Also great imagery on the feeling of youth. Well done!

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
... a very well-written poem ... if you want to make it softer ... if and only if ... you could consider replacing some of the phrases with others ... like ... "the kids all flock to sketchy venues" ... "for no particular reason" ... "monster of steel and concrete" ... "this will be the first generation" ... and i also wondered about ... "talking about the things their elders have forgotten about" ... because where i come from the young talk about speeding cars and the old about sparkling stars ... anyway ... it's a great write with a stupendous thought in the last line ... keep writing ... you have a special gift ... 95/100 ...

Posted 13 Years Ago


fantastic, i love the strange combination of nostalgia and disillusionment this poem contains -- like you *are* young, but you're remembering what it's like to be young at the same time, your tone shifting between fond and slightly scathing... you balance it well, though, and even though the poem's about youth, there is a lot of depth here that could be found in the work of an older writer (ignore all this if you *are* old, i'm just totally making assumptions about you here... idk, apply it to 'the narrator' or something ;))... a lot of great lines and images running through here: 'sky goes pastel', 'talking about things their elders have forgotten about' -- those are very lovely, but i could quote most of the poem on this point... the last line, though, reads somewhat awkwardly: maybe just try 'this will be the first generation to never get old', it reads a little smoother and ends the poem on a more definite note... 'to never get older' sounds clunky to me... also, the title? careful with the ';ode' bit, i think you're walking the line between being cute and quirky and being pretentious, telling the audience your poem is an ode... i think just straight 'generations' would work just as well. ;) but, otherwise, great job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


It is great peace in my opinion keep up the good work :) Thanks for sharing it is clear that is influenced by your home town as well i guess

Posted 13 Years Ago


It seemed quite alright, not being completely flawless.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think it was ok, but i think some of the sentences could be shortened a little bit to make it a bit more even. I was always told not to have an idea in a whole sentence, but to spread it out in many lines.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

286 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 20, 2010
Last Updated on May 22, 2010

Author

Mischa Keats
Mischa Keats

Starry, NY



About
How. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Blackbird Blackbird

A Poem by Sara


Flame Flame

A Poem by .


Boyhood Boyhood

A Poem by Tate Morgan