Chapter 5 - More Trouble

Chapter 5 - More Trouble

A Chapter by Patricia Gayle
"

Caleb is treated to new sleeping arrangements and more trouble insues in the streets of Boston.

"

Caleb obeyed.  He wondered what had just happened.  Who would ever want to hurt the Meyers’, especially Mrs. Meyers or the girls?  Who was the man?  Did he really want to hurt anyone or was he just attempting to protect himself from Caleb?  Caleb thought about the incident.  This was the first man Caleb had ever shot.  He had shot wild game, but never another person.  His thoughts wandered further.  What if he had killed the man?  Would he be in trouble?  What if the man was innocent?  If so, then, was he a murderer?  All these questions ran through Caleb’s mind as he walked from the barn back to the house.

When Caleb stepped into the sitting room, Mr. Meyers rose from his chair.  “Caleb come with me.”  He was then led out of the room and up a set of stairs just inside the front door.  Mr. Meyers did not speak as he led Caleb down the hall and to a heavy wooden door.  He opened the door and immediately Caleb recognized the room as the bedroom he had been allowed to stay in on Christmas Eve.  Everything was just as he had remembered it.  “Caleb, this will be your new room.  You are no longer expected to remain in the barn loft.  You are a part of our family now and you will live in the house like every other member,” Mr. Meyers said with a smile.  “Dinner will be ready shortly.”  He turned and took a couple of steps down the hall, then turned back.  “Thank you for taking care of Mrs. Meyers and the girls, this afternoon.  I don’t know what I would have done if I had lost them.”  He turned back and disappeared down the hall.

 

Little was said by any member of the family at dinner that night.  After they had finished their meal everyone shuffled off to bed early. 

Caleb lay in bed thinking, for sometime, about all that had happened.  He laid and wondered asking himself the same questions over and over trying to find an answer that made sense. 

A gentle summer breeze blew through the window disturbing the curtains slightly.  Caleb slowly drifted to sleep and dreamt he was taking the ladies back to town.  The scene was set much like the previous day.  As they headed, into town they were approached by a group of men, all dressed in black and on horseback.  Each man was well protected with a rifle and side arm.  He bellowed for the family to turn back and head for home.  However, this time, he remained to face the men, rather than escorting Mrs. Meyers and the girls home.  He drew a revolver from inside his coat and aimed it at the lead man, ready to stand his ground and fight. 

Overhead a dark cloud rolled in from the north and rumbled furiously.  The wind picked up.  The sky quickly darkened and the day turned to night in an instant.  The horses became startled as the lightning flashed around them and the thunder roared and rumbled loudly.

The bedroom door swung open and Caleb was suddenly awoken by the deep booming voice of Mr. Meyers.  “Caleb!”  A strong, almost icy wind blew in the window across the room and Caleb could smell the rain which was now soaking the yard.  “Caleb!”  Mr. Meyers repeated. 

Caleb sprung up.  “Yes sir.”  He replied fighting off the sleepiness. 

“A storm just rolled in.  The horses were startled and escaped the barn.  Would you come out and help me round them up and get them back inside before it gets much worse?”

“Yes sir.”  Caleb jumped out of bed, quickly dressed, and made his way out the door into the heavy stinging rain.  How much worse does Mr. Meyers expect it to get?  Caleb wondered to himself.  Any worse and the whole homestead will wash away.  Then the horses will be the least of our worries. 

Caleb immediately got to work searching the property and rounding up the horses he found.  When they were all found and safely returned to the barn. 

The two men returned to the house, both soaking wet and muddy to their waists.  Mrs. Meyers met them at the door, still dressed in her nightdress and long robe. 

“No, no, no!” she scolded, standing in the doorway with her hands on her hips.  “You are not coming into my house filth.  Go around to the back and wash up first.”  She motioned to the back and disappeared back into the house.

Mr. Meyers and Caleb obeyed her without question.  After bathing and changing into dry clothes made their way into the sitting room where they found Mrs. Meyers and the two oldest children, Elizabeth and Samuel, already dressed for the next day.  Caleb glanced at a clock sitting on the mantle over the fireplace, surprised to find that the sun would be rising shortly. 

“Mary has begun preparing breakfast already,” Mrs. Meyers informed everyone.  “It should be ready shortly.  I’ll get the other children ready.”  She rose from the couch and ascended the stairs.

“After the storm is over we will go out and determine if there is any damage to the house or barn,” Mr. Meyers told Caleb.  “Until then you are relieved from your duties.” 

When the storm was over Caleb and Mr. Meyers thoroughly checked the property.  The only damage the storm had done would be easily repaired.  A few shingles had been blown from the house, as was the fate of a storm shutter.  The startled horses had busted the door to the barn, as well. 

“We’ll go to town for lumber first thing tomorrow morning.  That is, when you complete your morning duties,” Caleb was informed after the assessment was completed.

The next morning Caleb hitched the horses to an old flatbed wagon.  Mr. Meyers came out of the house well armed with rifles and side arms.  Caleb looked on, somewhat suspicious of Mr. Meyers’ measures, as he loaded the weapons into the wagon.  He was careful, however, to say nothing.  The ride into town was quiet.  Mr. Meyers and Caleb spoke little on the ride and no one approached them on the road. 

Mr. Meyers and Caleb spent the morning at the sawmill loading the wagon with what they would need to do their repairs.  As the sun rose to its peek, their stomachs began to growl and they proceeded from the sawmill down the street to a café.  Mr. Meyers handed Caleb a revolver and then slipped one into his own coat before going inside.  They entered the café and enjoyed a meal undisrupted. 

As they headed out of the restaurant and to the wagon, a gang of five men approached them.  The lead man was dressed much like Mr. Meyers.  He carried himself proudly, standing straight and tall in his suit.  He was obviously a man of great wealth and power.

“Hello, William,” the nicely dressed man said with a smirk.  “Are you going to stand up and fight me like a man or are you going to have a boy fight your battles for you?”  He smiled deviously and then continued.  “He put up quite a fight the other day I hear,” He chuckled and motioned to one of the other men.  Caleb immediately recognized him as the man he had shot off his horse.  His right arm hung in a sling and the sleeve of his jacket hung loose and empty.  “That boy you have there shot and ran you know.  Nearly left the women in his dust,” He chuckled again.  “By the way, how are Anna and the children?  Well I hope.” 

“Leave my wife and children out of this,” Mr. Meyers snapped.  “This is our fight.” 

Mr. Meyers drew the revolver from his coat and pointed it square at the lead man.  The man just stood still with the same smirk on his face.  “What happened to keeping this off of the streets?” the man remarked.

Mr. Meyers continued to hold his gun in the same position and said nothing.

“Well, alright, it was your idea anyway.  After all, you are the one with something to hide.”  He chuckled cruelly and raised his hand, palm side up, at his side.  The four men behind him raised their own guns and pointed them at Mr. Meyers. 

Caleb reached in his coat and brought out his own gun, knowing he and Mr. Meyers were still well out numbered.  Mr. Meyers shot with a shaky hand and missed his target. 

The other men began firing as the lead man stepped aside and out of the way. 

Caleb and Mr. Meyers backed toward the wagon where they retrieved their rifles hidden next to the seat.  Caleb shot hitting one of the men in the jaw.  He dropped, screaming and holding his face.  The blood ran from his face and soaked into the rain dampened street.  Mr. Meyers quickly jumped onto the wagon and Caleb followed him.  They drove out of town as quickly as possible. 

When clear of town and sure they had not been followed.  Mr. Meyers slowed the wagon and turned to Caleb.  “Don’t say a word about this to Mrs. Meyers or the children.  I don’t want to worry them any.”  Caleb could see, however, there was more to his instruction than keeping the family from worrying.  What had the man meant when he said Mr. Meyers was the one with something to hide?

 

 



© 2010 Patricia Gayle


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

390 Views
Added on January 1, 2010
Last Updated on March 19, 2010

Burning Bridges


Author

Patricia Gayle
Patricia Gayle

College Station, TX



About
I'm 25 and have been writing for close to 10 years now. Writing is my release...my therapy. I've written and self published one book, a regional non-fiction I completed in the summer after highschoo.. more..

Writing