Chapter 14 - Back In the Saloon

Chapter 14 - Back In the Saloon

A Chapter by Patricia Gayle

“Before long Caleb and Elizabeth came to a place called Providence.”

“Town named Providence, huh?”  Joe remarked with a grin, “sounds like just what they needed.”

“Sure was, too,” the old man replied. 

“Ya ain’t just ruined the endin’, have ya?”  Boots asked jokingly. 

“Ya think I’d go an ruin the endin’ to a good story?”

“Well I ain’t figured just how ya are at story tellin’ quite yet,” Boots replied with a chuckle.

The rain had ceased momentarily.  A number of drinkers and gamblers had left the crowded saloon.  Down the street a dog howled and a horse clopped through the mud.  The light in the saloon was low, as Charlie had given up relighting the lanterns as they were blown out.

The old man took one last drink and, then deciding he had enough, turned the glass upside down on the table.  The men waited and watched silently, several minutes.  Finally the old man continued, “They found themselves a small cottage just outside of Providence.  It wasn’t much, but it was a hell of a lot nicer than that tent they were stayin’ in.  Caleb found a job workin’ for the railroad.  Paid purty nice and soon they had enough ta rent a little house in town.”

“They ever get married?”  Duke asked.

“Don’t ya rush the ol’ man none,” Boots told him irritably.  “Might ruin the story.”

“I was getting’ there anyway,” the old man informed them.  “Ain’t ruinin’ no story.”  He paused a moment, wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and then continued, “In about a month or two he had enough money saved ta get married and buy her a horse, too.” 

“What happened ta the one she had?”  Duke asked.

“ Boy! Let the ol’ man tell his story.  Stop buttin’ in.”  Boots scolded.

“Well, the one she had was just fine, but he got her a younger purtier one,” the old man thought a moment, smiling.  “White as snow,” he paused again, lost in thought.  A cool breeze blew into the saloon and he was awakened from his thoughts. 



© 2010 Patricia Gayle


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

347 Views
Added on January 2, 2010
Last Updated on March 19, 2010

Burning Bridges


Author

Patricia Gayle
Patricia Gayle

College Station, TX



About
I'm 25 and have been writing for close to 10 years now. Writing is my release...my therapy. I've written and self published one book, a regional non-fiction I completed in the summer after highschoo.. more..

Writing