Chapter 18 - New York

Chapter 18 - New York

A Chapter by Patricia Gayle
"

Caleb moves his family to New York and tries to begin new once again.

"

          When Caleb and his family got to New York they immediately set out to find a place to live.  They had little money and neither had work yet so they found a place outside of the city and lived briefly out of their wagon. 

The morning after they arrived, Caleb left Elizabeth and Hannah at the wagon and set out in search of work.  He left Elizabeth well armed, concerned that she may be faced with danger in this unfamiliar territory. 

Elizabeth had tried giving him directions to her uncle’s property but was unsure about the route so Caleb rode virtually aimlessly hoping to find someone who could direct him.  Finally, he spotted another man on horseback riding in his direction.  Caleb lifted his hand in a wave. 

“Hello there!” the man called to him with an unfamiliar accent and a friendly smile.

“Hello,” Caleb greeted back.  “I’m new to these parts,” he explained.  “Would you know where I could find a man by the name of Jacob Meyers?”

“O’ course I know where ya could find ol’ Meyers,” he replied with a chuckle.  He instructed Caleb how to find him and then each man rode on his way. 

He carefully followed the man’s directions and soon, Caleb came upon a private road lined with tall trees.  An enormous two story white house stood at the end of the road.  A man stepped into view, from one corner of the building, as he rode up.

“Is this where I’ll find Mr. Jacob Meyers?” he asked.

“Yes’ir,” the man answered with a thick muddy accent.  The man took the horse’s reins as Caleb climbed down.  “He is inside sir.”

Caleb climbed the steps and crossed the wide porch.  He took the heavy brass knocker in his hand and rapped on the door.  The sound echoed throughout the house.  A moment later the door opened and a short middle-aged woman dressed in black and white stood in the entrance.

          “Yes sir.  May I help you?” she asked softly.

          “Is Mr. Meyers in?”

          “Yes sir.  Come in please.”  Caleb stepped into the house, as she stepped aside.  “Is he expecting you?”

          “No ma’am.  I’m seeking work.”

          “Follow me,” she directed.  He followed her out of the small entry hall and into a much larger room.  He was taken breathless and paused in the doorway to examine his surroundings.  In the center of the room a large winding staircase led to a second floor loft.  A huge glass chandelier hung from the ceiling over him and the entire room was ornately furnished.  At one end of the room a large window, framed in heavy velvet drapes. looked out onto the yard.  A large grand piano sat to one side of the window.

“Please have a seat,” the woman directed politely, shaking him from his observation.  “I will tell, Mr. Meyers you are here.”

“Thank you.”

She climbed the stairs and disappeared down a long hallway.  A moment later she returned and called from the top of the stairs, “Sir, Mr. Meyers will see you in his study.”

Caleb climbed the stairs and followed the woman down the hallway lined with dark wooden doors and crimson wallpaper.  She directed him toward an open door and he entered.  A man sat at a desk across the room.  He was an aged portrait of his brother, William. Behind the man a large window framed in heavy drapes, similar to those downstairs, offered a picturesque view of the estate. 

“Thank you Estelle,” the man called in a booming voice to the woman who had escorted him to the study.  “Please…have a seat,” he instructed turning his attention on Caleb.

“I am Jacob Meyers,” the man told him extending his hand.  Caleb shook it and slowly sat down in a large armed chair in front of the desk.  “Estelle said you mentioned needing work?” he continued.

“Yes sir.”

“What is your name?”

“Caleb Campbell.”

Mr. Meyers paused a moment, as if surprised.  “Campbell?” he asked.

“Yes sir,” Caleb answered, his heart beginning to pound.

Mr. Meyers sat silent for a moment then rose from his seat.  “I am sorry, but I do not have any work for you.  Perhaps you can find something in town that will better fit your needs.  Estelle,” he called and the woman reentered the room.  “Would you escort Mr. Campbell to the door, please.”

“Yes sir,” she answered and started down the hallway. 

Caleb dropped his head and followed her.  About halfway down the hall he saw an open door out of the corner of his eye and inside a woman sat with her back to him.  He paused a moment and watched her.  Her long blonde hair lay tangled and matted against her back.  She rocked back and forth holding a doll in her hands and mumbling.

“Mr. Campbell,” his escort called and he quickly began following her again.

Inside the room he heard the mumbling stop and then a sweet familiar voice, “Campbell?  Caleb Campbell?”

Mr. Meyers, who had been following Caleb and Estelle, stepped to her door.  Caleb heard him say, “Now Anna…” before his voice was muffled as he stepped inside and closed the heavy door.

 

          Caleb continued in his search for work and Elizabeth began looking for work as well.  After a very short search, Elizabeth found work in the home of Silas and Jane Garland.  Elizabeth would carry out the same duties as she had in the home of Fannie Brown in Providence.  During the day while Elizabeth worked, Hannah would be watched after by the Garland’s nanny, Lillian Fitzgerald.  Elizabeth and Caleb, like the other household staff, were allowed to stay in their own tiny cottage toward the rear of the estate to live in. 

Though Elizabeth found work quickly, Caleb was not so lucky.  Even Mr. Garland would not employ him, stating simply he had “more workers than I know what to do with as it is.”  Could there really be no one looking for help?  Caleb found it very hard to believe.  He knew Mr. Meyers and his brother must be to blame for his trouble.  Both men had gone about spreading word of Caleb and no one would hire him because they knew better than to go up against such powerful people.  His frustration and anger grew with each day he could not find work.  His family could not survive off of Elizabeth’s wages, especially if they had any more children.

Caleb began to stay in town later into the evenings, telling Elizabeth he wanted to utilize every daylight hour to look for work.  Instead, as the sun neared the horizon he would head into the nearest saloon.  A drink or two is all, he would tell himself.  That’s all I need to face Elizabeth.  A drink or two, however it always turned into many more.  To his advantage, Elizabeth no longer waited up for him believing he was only late because he was still in search of work.

 

 

 



© 2010 Patricia Gayle


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

345 Views
Added on January 2, 2010
Last Updated on March 19, 2010

Burning Bridges


Author

Patricia Gayle
Patricia Gayle

College Station, TX



About
I'm 25 and have been writing for close to 10 years now. Writing is my release...my therapy. I've written and self published one book, a regional non-fiction I completed in the summer after highschoo.. more..

Writing