Room For Rent

Room For Rent

A Story by Pauly
"

A creative young guitarist is moving back to his hometown to complete a 3 month tour. The unique 27 year old songwriter believes that not all hearts are in their correct era, and being original and tr

"

Room for Rent                                                                  

A creative young guitarist is moving back to his hometown to complete a 3 month tour. The unique 27 year old songwriter believes that not all hearts are in their correct era, and being original and true will lead to unexplained happening’s.

 

The screenplay may not be used or reproduced        

 without the written permission by the author.

 

© Pauly Shaw (2015)

[email protected]

 

 

EXT. STREET VIEW �" RED HOT DUSK

MUSIC (I Wonder �" Rodrigues)

FISHER STREET reads the sign on the corner of the street.

The VIEW moves very SLOWLY down the road whilst the credits roll, into the driveway of number 47.

The high stumped 1950’s Queenslander with rotting weather boards and mouldy stair treads lead to the front door.

 

EXT. STAIR CASE �" SAMETIME

We follow the heels of footsteps and a travel bag, wheeling and banging its way up the stairs to the front veranda.

We see a man from behind holding this travel bag facing the front door.

 

MUSIC FADE OUT (I Wonder �" Rodrigus)

 

INT. VIEW/OUTSIDE - SAMETIME

An opened doorway, there stands JOHNNY.

JOHNNY hugs PAULY with a welcoming greet. 

JOHNNY

(excited)

How you doin' man?

PAULY
Good brother, how you been?

JOHNNY
Yeah good! Struggling a little with renting this empty house ourselves. Glad you’re here man.

PAULY

(relieved)

It's good to be back in Brissy. Sydney is mayhem man.

How’s Tracey?

JOHNNY

Yeah good man. She’s at work at the moment

 

 

INT. JOHNNY’S HOUSE, HALLWAY �" SAMETIME
PAULY follows JOHNNY through the front door and into the first bedroom on the left at the beginning of the hallway. 

INT. JOHNNY’S HOUSE, BEDROOM �" SAMETIME

 

JOHNNY

So how did the gigs go?

 

JOHNNY starts another conversation whilst showing PAULY his new bedroom. 

 

PAULY
Excellent man, we had so much fun. 12 shows in 2 months. Like I was saying on the phone to you last week, we have another 4 in Brissy over the next 2 weeks. Then our first real break. 

 

PAULY still holding his travel bag in one hand

 

JOHHNY

(anxious)
Yeah man can't wait to see you rock it up there on stage again. You’re a freak on that guitar!

PAULY

You quit too early man. You could have been a part of this!

JOHNNY

It was open the business or be a broke rocker.


They laugh together as the VIEW circles the room to show off the beautiful wood furniture, pausing on the double door cupboard with the mirror in between.

 

JOHNNY
Well this is it! Kitchen and bathroom down the end. Fresh towels on the rack and food in the fridge.

PAULY
Thanks man

 

PAULY throws his luggage on the bed then turns to JOHNNY.

 

PAULY
I'll fix you up with some cash tomorrow.

 

JOHNNY states nodding his head with a thumbs up as he walks out of the room

 

JOHNNY
Well I'm off to pick up Tracey from Chermside then dinner. You wanna come?

PAULY
Thanks man but I need to rest. I'll see you when you get back.

JOHNNY
Ok, I'll be out for a few hours. Make yourself at home.

 

As they both walk out of the room, The VIEW again pauses on the double door cupboard.

 

INT. JOHNNYS HOUSE, LOUNGEROOM �" NIGHT

As PAULY sits on the couch in the lounge room watching television, the VIEW circles the room looking at the old floor boards, walls, photos and the hanging clock. 

We see the empty hallway where silence is the only sound you can hear. The clock reads 10:45pm.

PAULY stands up out of his chair and decides to head to bed, switching the tv and all the lights off as he makes his way down the empty silent hallway.

His back is towards the VIEW.

 

INT. JOHNNYS HOUSE, BEDROOM �" SAMETIME

PAULY enters his bedroom.

He makes himself comfortable as he spreads the bed sheets back and lays down, falling fast asleep.

 

INT. JOHNNYS HOUSE, BEDROOM �" LATE AT NIGHT
PAULY is woken by a very SLIGHT knock at the door. 

 

PAULY
Yeah... Johnny?

 

PAULY waits patiently.


Silence alarms PAULY and he decides to SPRING out of bed to check outside his room. Opening the door to investigate.

 

INT. JOHNNYS HOUSE HALLWAY �" SAMETIME

The darkness of the hallway is hard to see but PAULY realises that no one is there.

With an awkward expression on his face he walks SLOWLY across the hallway and knocks on JOHNNY’S door.

 

PAULY

(curious)
Johnny, you there?


He opens the door and finds that JOHNNY has not yet returned. CONFUSED, he makes his way back to his bedroom and uneasily falls asleep. 

INT. JOHNNYS HOUSE, BEDROOM �" EVEN LATER DURING THE NIGHT
The bedroom is in darkness.

Only the moonlight through the curtains we VIEW once again fixed on the double door cupboard as the VIEW SLOWLY  zooms out to the left to PAULY sleeping.

The alarm clock reads 3.16am as PAULY is suddenly awakened by yet another SLIGHT knock.

 

PAULY

(shouts)
Yo!

 

PAULY waits on someone to open the door. 
As he cautiously removes the blankets from himself, he tip toes out of bed to the door.

With one hand on the door knob and the other on the door to stop the creaking noise when he decides to build up the courage to open it.

 

CLOSE UP

PAULY lays his ear up to the door but hears nothing.

Moments before opening the door there is another knock. Bang! Bang! Bang! Like rapid gunfire.

 

MUSIC (Moonlight Sonata �" Beethoven)

 

PAULY quickly turns his head to the double door cupboard. Baffled by what's going on, he pauses in fear.

He gradually makes his way to the cupboard. Step by step thinking this cannot be.

He arrives at the doors.

Reaches out and opens them quickly whilst stepping back in fright, only to find hanging clothes.

His back is towards the VIEW.

He scrambles through the clothes splitting them into thirds.

Making his way down to the drawers.

He pulls them open individually, FRANTICALLY throwing clothing, finding nothing but shirts, socks and undies.

He scratches his head as he turns around in disbelief reassuring himself that the knocking was not coming from the cupboard.

 

MUSIC (Moonlight Sonata �" Beethoven 1:12sec)

 

PAULY decides to think outside the square and looks to the side of the cupboard.

Running his fingers down the gap of the wall and cupboard.

It is very early in the morning and may very well be a waste of time; however he suspiciously drags the tall wooden cupboard forward.

Disappointed, he sees a wall with white paint.

 

MUSIC (Moonlight Sonata �" Beethoven 1:38sec)

 

As PAULY stares closely, he notices a small crack in the cornice. Following his fingers by dragging them away from the crack, he runs up the wall drawing out a rectangular shape of a door.

 

MUSIC (Moonlight Sonata �" Beethoven 1:55sec FADES OUT)

 

 

 

INT. JOHNNYS HOUSE, HALLWAY - SAMETIME

PAULY quickly runs around the other side of the wall to investigate.

 

INT. JOHNNYS HOUSE, SPARE BEDROOM - SAMETIME

Entering the spare room, he finds the old vertical ran vj board wall in good condition.

 

INT. JOHNNYS HOUSE, BEDROOM - SAMETIME

Returning back to his room, he is very curious on the small door behind the cupboard. Taking a moment to think, he steps out the distance from the doorway of his bedroom to the small door wall.

On his way out of the room, he picks up pieces of clothing and runs into the hallway.

 

INT. JOHNNYS HOUSE, HALLWAY - SAMETIME

Stepping out the distance to the wall from the doorway, he marks the floor with the piece of clothing.

Heading back into the spare room

 

INT. JOHNNYS HOUSE, SPAREROOM - SAMETIME

Doing the exact same process with another piece of clothing

 

INT. JOHNNYS HOUSE, HALLWAY - SAMETIME

PAULY discovers that three large steps are uncounted for.

 

INT. JOHNNYS HOUSE, BEDROOM - SAMETIME

Knowing that there is a large gap in the wall behind this small door, PAULY notices that the only thing holding the door closed is paint in the cracks.

 

INT. JOHNNYS HOUSE, HALLWAY - SAMETIME

PAULY runs down the hallway heading to the kitchen

 

INT. JOHNNYS HOUSE, KITCHEN �" SAMETIME

PAULY grabs a knife and runs out of view

 

INT. JOHNNYS HOUSE, BEDROOM - SAMETIME

PAULY scratches his way through the paint as he gains access inside with a kick to the door.

 

A gust of wind is blown into the dark space.

 

PAULY slowly kneels to the floor as he pokes his head inside. It is so dark; he crawls his way through the entry.

Head first, disappearing from sight.

 

 

 

 

INT. A GIRLS ROOM �" TIME UNKNOWN 

MUSIC (That’s All Right �" Elvis Presley)

Rock n roll music can be heard as the VIEW waits for PAULY to come through the other side of the dark small door.

His head suddenly appears and he makes his way to his feet.

Looking down he notices that he is in different clothing.

A white T-shirt, leather jacket and jeans

Hair so slick, that the reflection in the mirror surprises PAULY himself.

 

CONFUSED and DISORIENTATED PAULY looks around and finds himself in a girls room.

Pink walls, quilt covers and dresses.

Pictures on the wall of Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry.

Catching his attention is the loud music outside.

As he starts to walk closer to the door he has a smile on his face.

Cracking the door open ever so slightly, he peaks through the gap and see's that a party is happening in the same lounge-room as Johnny's house.

 

INT. JOHNNYS HOUSE, LOUNGEROOM - UNKNOWN

DAZED, PAULY steps outside the doorway into the party room.

People dancing, smoking, laughing, drinking and a band with a double bass playing rock n roll music.

 

CLOSE UP

PAULY smiles UNCONTROLLABLY

THIS IS PAULYS WORLD.

IS HE DREAMING?  

 

A girl walks past wearing a pink floral poodle skirt and blouse.

They make eye contact, smiling to each other.

PAULY, attracted to her, he follows her into the kitchen.

Walking past the band and loving the music he stares at the double bass player as he makes his way through the dance floor.

 

INT. JOHNNYS HOUSE, KITCHEN - UNKNOWN

The bench is full of empty beer bottles and smoke packets.

There lays underneath the rubbish the local newspaper.

Inconspicuously, he reads the header.

The Courier Mail - Lincoln's Hunt Jap Craft, Friday 31st of the 12, 1954.

 

MUSIC (ALL SOUNDS ARE SMASHED INTO ONE SWIRLING NOISE)

SHOCKED, The VIEW spins around an overwhelmed PAULY.

Becoming faster and faster until the VIEW is one big blur.

 

MUSIC (SWIRLING NOISE TO COMPLETE SILENCE)

PAULY grabs the closest Bikini Martini and sculls like mad

 

INT. JOHNNYS HOUSE, LOUNGEROOM �" 1954 - NIGHT

MUSIC (Roll Over Beethoven �" Chuck Berry)

The band start another song

In utter disbelief PAULY laughs.

PAUL spots the girl from before and follows her out to the back balcony passing the lead guitarist.

PAUL is suddenly grabbed by a dancer and starts to swing dance to the music.

The VIEW watches party goers dance.

Everybody is laughing and having so much fun.

 

EXT. JOHNNYS HOUSE, BACK BALCONY �" 1954 - NIGHT

PAULY finally makes it to the back balcony and is handed a cigarette from the attractive girl.

“Lucky Strike, Go Happy” Reads the cigarette packet.

PAULY sits down with her and starts a conversation.

The VIEW makes its way back very slowly away from PAULY down the hallway.

 

Blank VIEW for 5 seconds

 

INT. A GIRLS ROOM �" 1954 - NIGHT
The door slams and a HEAVY breathing, CONFUSED PAULY puts his body weight on the door. In denial, he turns his head to the small door.

Quickly opens it and crawls through to the other side.

 

INT. JOHNNYS HOUSE, BEDROOM - DAY

As PAULY finds light back into an empty room, the small door slams behind him.

He opens the bedroom door.

 

INT. JOHNNYS HOUSE, HALLWAY - SAMETIME

PAULY runs down the hallway into the lounge-room.

 

INT. JOHNNYS HOUSE, LOUNGEROME - SAMETIME

PAULY finds JOHNNY sitting on the couch. 

 

PAULY

(gasps)
Johnny

JOHNNY
Pauly


The VIEW reveals that JOHNNY has aged 30 years.

 

JOHNNY

(confused)
What the hell happened to you?

Everyone thought you were dead!

 

 

PAULY

(rapidly)
The small door behind the old wooden cupboard man. I went through it and it sent me back to 1954. I was at this party in this exact same room only moments ago
I can't explain it man but by the looks of it I've been in there for years

JOHNNY
What door are you talking about?

 There's no small door!

PAULY
Come, I'll show you

 

INT. JOHNNYS HOUSE, BEDROOM - SAMETIME
PAULY and JOHNNY enter the room

PAULY points to the small door in the wall.

 

JOHNNY
I've never noticed it.

Been here for 33 years.

PAULY

I had to scratch away the paint which was the only thing holding it together.


PAULY reaches for the door to open it. All eyes are fixed on the door as it opens and leads to the bedroom next door.

 

PAULY
What the f**k!

 

PAULY climbs through and finds himself in the spare room.

 

JOHNNY
What the f**k man?

 

JOHNNY waits for a reply from PAULY to explain himself, kneeling down to talk through the small door.

Johnny touches the door and closes it wondering how he has never noticed it.

PAULY runs from the spare room.

Enters the bedroom.

 

PAULY
I don't understand, there should be a gap in the wall. Something's not right


They both raise their hands and shrug their shoulders at each other in disbelieve.

JOHNNY, once the same age as PAULY, standing there looking 30 years older.

Their faces are blank and it takes them a moment to regather themselves.

JOHNNY touches PAULYS face and smiles.

 

 

JOHNNY

(confused)
I need a smoke!
This is too much 

 

JOHNNY walks out the door
PAULY throws himself on the back of the door slamming it shut.

He puts his hands on his face, rubs his fingers through his hair and pauses.

He looks at the small door.

Gathers himself and walks towards it.

Kneels down and takes one big breathe.

 

CLOSE UP

PAULY closes his eyes and opens it one more time.

 

A gust of wind is blown into the dark space.

 

PAULY can't believe his eyes.

He looks over his shoulder.

Looking back and forth, about to choose his destined path.

He crawls through the small door.

 

 

CLOSE UP

The VIEW is focused on the doors dark space.

PAULYS face appears in the light.

His face slowly withdrawals into the darkness. The door slams shut with a gust of wind.


THE END

© 2016 Pauly


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on March 27, 2016
Last Updated on March 27, 2016
Tags: Music, Guitar, 50's, Sci Fi

Author

Pauly
Pauly

Brisbane, Woolloongabba, Australia



Writing
Ripple Of Regret Ripple Of Regret

A Story by Pauly