Why do dogs roll in the grass?

Why do dogs roll in the grass?

A Story by Amy
"

Flash Fiction - Question, really...

"
Why do dogs roll in the grass?  Are they trying to mark their spot?  Tell other dogs to stay away?  Or come closer?  Do they like it, so they do it for fun?  Do they do it when I'm not around?  Or just when I'm watching?
I have to admit, I'm confused by dog behavior.  I do not uderstand why they do some of the things they do.  Probably because I'm not a dog.  I'm a human woman, and we don't understand anything, according to my husband.  I don't understand why they push the food bowl around three times before they eat.  Or take small bites into the other room, drop it on the ground, then proceed to eat it.  Really?  Is that necessary?  Or why do they circle two times to the left, then three times to the right before they lay down?  Does that really make the blankets perfect?  Just right for sleeping?  I'm confused.
Anyway, both my dogs like to roll around in our grass after dinner.  I wonder what is really going on inside their heads.  The internet tells me - they are marking their spots.  Hmm, I don't know if I believe that.  I think they do it because everyone likes a back rub.  And what better way to get a back rub, than to do it yourself?  I sometimes catch my husband scratching on a door jamb... he says his back fur itches, and I wasn't around to scratch it for him (good thing for me).  Maybe that is what the dogs are doing.... scratching their back fur?

© 2012 Amy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hmmm. You seek answers to some of life's great mysteries. Fact is, I do odd things that I can find no reason for doing. Perhaps us guys shared a cave with dogs for much too long? Oh, no--another unanswerable question.
Seriously, though, I find your thoughts entertaining.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Dogs do do what we think is odd. Some say it goes back to their ancestry.
Who knows for sure. They are still part of the family. We'll love them like we love the human part of our family, strange quirks and all.
Fun reading.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I like this story, Amy. We've had many dogs in the past, but we're down to one min pin now, but you're right; every one of them has thought it was so much fun to go outside and roll in the grass. I used to think it was because they smelled something stinky, but if that was true every time, folks in town should have been able to smell our yard. No one ever mentioned it.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

612 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 19, 2012
Last Updated on July 19, 2012

Author

Amy
Amy

Arvada, CO



About
Married housewife with no children, but two dogs, and what tales they come up with. (or is it tails?) I'm forty-two this year, and looking to submit something for publication for the first time in.. more..

Writing
One of These Days One of These Days

A Story by Amy



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Anniversary Anniversary

A Story by Woody