..when no one is watching

..when no one is watching

A Story by Darshan
"

A workplace incident that describes something beyond ordinary.

"

To get a true appreciation for his work…One has to be good at his job.

 

Really good.

 

Dear father, we (me and big brother) can hardly count the number of days since your retirement, and WHOA! To our surprise, what do we get to hear: They want you back! Post-retirement? What a surprise..what an appreciation! :)

 

Actually, they need you back.


..and we know countless reasons why. Along the years, we’ve gathered numerous experiences for your simple-and-straight professional career. I thought I’d share one of them today with the world, papa. This story describes why the company deserves you; why we are so proud of your simple job…and also why we do not own a car! :p

 

My father works in HR department of a private electricity company in our small town. Around ten years back, the company was working out a project of installing a power-plant in the city’s vicinity. Now, setting up the engineering and managerial targets was relatively easy for the company by means of outsourcing. The herculean task was something else…


Everyone knows, a private sector company faces a lot of trouble in setting up plants and factories in India. Right from land acquisition to pollution control board clearance, a lot of hurdles wait in the way…and do not go until proper “settlements” are done.


Now here is the magic.


Father happens to be a law graduate who ended up in HR department only because he was against the very idea of practicing a career that required moral compromises. Anyway, he was part of a team involved in the above task. The good part here was: he knew all the legal aspects of the land deals and contracts that could save the company a lot of trouble from some corrupt bureaucrats and middlemen. He believed that if the job starts right...it'd finish right. If proper legalities are done, then everything will go well leaving no room for bribes. He worked day and night getting the jobs done on time..and yet hardly received any appreciation as his seniors and colleagues always took the credits. Nevertheless, he continued doing what he was best at. And the company did save a lot of time and money from father’s hard work at that time.


One of the jobs he was entrusted with, involved clearance of some land deals by the company for this power plant. I remember some people offering overrated lands and ‘tips’ to my father for getting deals done in their favor. Land deals involve huge amounts and hence the offer was kind of...BIG, for our middle-class family, and could easily take care of our financial worries: college education for me and big brother, a bigger house and at a car for our family that we could never buy owing to the average salary provided by the company...and that exactly was the moment when it happened:


"My work...provides our bread and butter" father said...and it took only an instant in which he made the decision. All he replied was an absolute…and big…NO.


He worked in the interest of company…when no one was watching.


Like this, there are many more jobs he has done, which ordinary people can’t do…and there are loads of more yet to be done. Yes father, which is why this company deserves you! Your seniors and colleagues may be ‘smarter’ and ‘intelligent’ than you…but what differentiates you from them is this one quality called: Integrity. You own it…you stood by the principles when the company needed you the most. You are virtually indispensable for this company.


Congratulations dad on getting back to your job today! Congratulations for getting a post-retirement appointment in the company. Its time to enjoy the fruits of your handwork...keep smiling.


When it comes to such a moral dilemma in life, everyone I love thinks..objectively: my grandfather, my father, my uncle..and my brother. And that is why I love them! This is one quality that is common and brings happiness in them all, and this drives me all the time!


PS: We still don't own a car dad...but do not worry we'll have it one day. Your one son is a scientist now and the other is one of the best engineers in this country.  We love you…and we are proud of you. All the best for a new beginning.  :)

© 2014 Darshan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

501 Views
Added on May 11, 2014
Last Updated on May 12, 2014
Tags: Integrity, Objectivism

Author

Darshan
Darshan

Surat, Hindu, India



About
Hey...I am Darshan M. Pandit. I'm the kind of a guy who likes to explore knowledge! (I've burnt my fingers many times in doing so...but still I love it) I may not understand the language of money.... more..

Writing