Letters from Grampa

Letters from Grampa

A by Mister Jones
"

sent to my mom in the 70's & 80's

"

1977?

 

Dearest Peggy:

Thanks for your lovely letter, gal.

Well, you know the gal from Monterrey, Mex.? Well I got a visa for her and we have been living together at the Ponderoso Motel and then the Thrifty Lodge. Then we got a duplex to move into and put money down and signed a lease for 3 months.

Well- would you believe we tired of the arrangement 2 days before moving into the duplex so I took her to the bus station to send her to Larado but she wouldn't get on the bus. The last I saw of her was walking towards the Mexican part of town from the bus station. I guess they like Ustados Unidas better than home. She is still here in Big Spring, I guess. I'm in the duplex with Kesh and all my neighbors all around me are military personell from Webb Air Force Base here in Big Spring. Maybe she and I will meet and try again before long or I'll go down and get another one. They make fine pets.

That sweet little Dana has a crush on Shawn, hasn't she? She is such a doll, I'd do anything in the world for her. You're right, angel about life having it's ups and downs. I can't ever turn on on speed like I used to do in Dallas because one 5000 cures a person forever. I'm the most legal druggist in Texas. But now I have to live more sedately and it's a drag sometimes. I'm sure looking forward to getting my butt out of debt and shagging it down to Guadalahara for good.

Susan is really a mess isn't she? I haven't written her yet, cause it needs more thought beforehand. Well baby, guess that's all for now. Write when you can.

Love,

Dad

 

"counselor!!!" - what a bunch of B.S.- She went thru 3 grand of mine and then wants to be "Portia" the female bull barrister

 

 

June 30 1992

 

Dear Peggy & Jim,

Well, it's great to be writing a letter to my 2 favorite people in the whole world! Thanks for your card & letter, I loved both very much.

Yeah, I'm sorry too that my marriage came unglued. Man, what a trauma it was for me when I realized it was going down the tubes. (I'm just getting over it now.) I was thinking, "Oh s**t what will all the friends and family think?"

But I was always VERY uncomfortable not being able to keep up with her work schedule around there. She really wanted me to be someone I could never be. So I had to find a passage back to the place I was before!

Now I'm really back to my own little world in Reno and it's super great- I love it.  Whenever one of the best grandkids or you two ever want a vacation destination please come visit me. I'd love to be your guide and host in Reno.

Love, Dad

 

Peggy- I found this arrow head beside the Concho River near Paint Rock, Tex. It now belongs to you, child.

 

 

Jan 91

 

Dear Peggy,

Well, kiddo, I just wanted to let you know that it sure looks like I'm getting married in the spring. (about 90% sure) But until it's sure I'm not mentioning it to anyone but you, cuz you're my private confidante.

I think you probably remember her- Bette- she was blonde and freckled and slim when we lived 4 doors down from them in Breckenridge Apartments. Well, we love each other and feel we're right for each other. I'm going back for another 5 day visit the 5th of Feb.

Would you believe she wants me to take a blood test for AIDS? I'll do that in Burnet when I'm there visiting in Bertram. Also, she asked me if I was gay!! I think she's been watching too much "Geraldo" on the tube. We had a great time together when I was there Dec 25 to 30. We had one real romantic night down on E. 6th St in Austin, going to the night clubs along there. I felt her up and french kissed her but this next visit in Feb. I'll have to "do the job" on her to prove I can. She's very sweet and attractive and 60 yrs old.

Keep yer fingers crossed for me, honey. I love my oldest daughter.

Love, Dad

ps- all her grown kids came by on Xmas vacation and "examined" me. They like me!

 

1976?

 

Dear Peggy,

I thought you would like this book to read and would appreciate it if you were to pass it on to your mother after you're through. You and she will probably be as mind-boggled as I was by how insidious the manner is in which we all got unknowingly hooked. It would be impossible to go all the way like the author did, but we might be able to cut down 60% maybe. *

I already bought some Chinese beans at the health food store and moisten about a dozen in a mason jar and they keep sprouting as you eat out of the jar. I use it to snack on at night instead of junk.

Love, Dad

 

 

(* come to find out, it was a book on sugar)

 

 

April 9 1975

Dear Peggy, Jim, Dana, and Amy,

Thanks ever so much for your sweet lettah, baby-doll. That was pretty heavy stuff, but it

touched my heart right where I live. You and Jim are going through now, what most

married couples go thru at some given time- a transition period in your lives which is

flattening your finances.

This inflation we have makes it worse for your generation than it was for us after WW2. (The

recession)  I guess you were too young to remember.

Right now, I'm in a hopelessly broke position because of a post-dated check bumper-

note I put on the Pinto down payment. Plus that stupid junket down to Monterrey with

Mitch (to see if Rusty was in the calaboose) cost me plenty. I guess Rusty just figured we

would all know he was ok by mental telepathy. Oh well- such is exuberant youth.

Anyhow, thanks 1000000 times for the beautiful photo of the girls. I treasure it more than

you know.

My love life has been zilch for about a month and a half (except Monterrey was fun)

since the little wet-back went home to Mexico. It's been few and far between, d****t.

We DOM's have our problems getting near the tender stuff.

The new color TV and the Pinto hatch-back both work great. My target date for

Guadalajara is Feb 1977. I'll take 2 weeks paid vacation in Jan to come to Dallas, get

trailer, visas, passports, etc. Kesh said he plans to ride in the Pinto and not the trailer.

Write when you can, you little stinker. Love, Dad

ps- I just finished 850 worth of free dental work at VA hosp dental clinic, by virtue of being

a POW. The work includes new partial denture- 2 gold crowns- and several fillings.

HI DANA, THANKS FOR THE LETTER. I WILL WRITE YOU SOON. AMY TOO.


pss- Susan called me at the store today asking for 25, but I'm like you, Peggy. Every time I

see her she's smokin a*s-gray. So, since it's so high-priced, POOH! (I told her, sorry, I'm

broke)

 

 

 

7-5 1975

Dear Peggy, Jim, Dana & Amy,

This is to wish all four of you a very happy joyous summer-time and to hope you have lots

of fine trips in the camper and boat. I can't thank you all enough for the delightful din-din

you let me share with you that Sunday I was there. It was really enchanting. Amy & Dana

were so well behaved. They really have gotten over their little quarrels of a year or two

back.

I'm taking my vacation in September, I'm meeting a Senorita in Chihuahua (pronounced

chee waa waa) Mexico. I cross the border at Presido, Tex and haul a*s on down there.

She was in Big Spring visiting and invited me down for 5 days. Groovy, huh?

Dana and Amy- you sweethearts- here's another dollar each as usual. When I live in

Mexico, you two can come on an airplane to Guadalajara to visit, ok?

Well, Bye Bye, I love you, Grampa.

ps- Peggy- I love their picture you sent. Thanks again. Here's a little dinaro for a bauble or

bangle or bead. take care

 

 


Sept 30 1975

Dear Peggy,

You are about the sweetest daughter a man ever had- I just can't find the words to say

how much I appreciate your concern and love for me. You better believe it's reciprocal.

Thanks for the 2 beautiful photos of you in front of the cave and the 2 kids in their uniforms.

Both photos are in my living room attatched to the big picture of Dana & Amy. WHERE IS

THAT CAVE? I've gotta go there some weekend with a rock-hunting buddy of mine here.

About Carmen!! Baby, you were so sweet to show concern and I know exactly your

thoughts- "oh that soft-headed, senile, stupid vain old dirty old man." Well Child stop

worrying- I'm not as much as a kook as you think. We have a working agreement- me

and Carmen- where she gets x dollars each week for her own out of y dollars in the

whole trust fund. But x dollars only equals 1.2% of y dollars so it's a super-bargain for me-

how could I make it in Guadalajara without a chic to be my interpretor, companion,

food shopper and Spanish teacher?

I'm in the local chess club, Rock Hounds club, and into the nursing home so time moves

fast. But I'm ready for Dec. when Carmen arrives.

Please tell your mother I'll send her the other $15 I owe her after the 15th. Thanks baby,

Love, Dad

 

 

Dear Peggy:

This note to you is separate because I want to tell you (and only you) about a really

wonderful thing that has happened to my life. I'll tell your mother, and the other 3 kids

later and not Dana or Amy yet, either, please.

Well- a beautiful girl of 24 years of age from Bogata Columbia, S.A. is coming to Big

Spring to live with me and go to Guadalajara with me. I will be her sponsor to improve

her life and in this manner the immigration service allows one year visa's to people who

are being sponsored by a US citizen.

She is very happy about it and needless to say, so am I. We anticipate her arrival in early

December, and plan to depart for Mexico exactly one year to the day from the day of

her arrival. This is her picture- her name is Carmen.

Thank you Sweetheart for your wonderful letter of 2 months ago. It has been laying here

on my desk all this time saying, "answer me- answer me."

Jim is one hell of a shrimp fisherman, isn't he? It could have happened to anyone. The

kids sound so cute in their school uniforms. You and Jim sure did the right thing with the

school situation the way it is there. Here in Big Spring there are 3% Blacks, 48% Chicanos

and 49% Anglos. But no racial tensions exist- it's just that the quality of the teachers is

very low in small towns- the good dedicated teachers are usually found in large cities, at

least so I'm told by all the students who work part-time at Gibsan's.

I work part-time at a nursing home as Consultant Pharmacist. All the nurses get marked

in a "grade book" by me as to how they write up their med sheets and follow dosage

regimen as taken from the doctor's instruction sheet. Also I check medicine -

(the rest of the letter is missing?)

 

 

1-16-76

Dear Peggy:

2 & 1/2 days till Super Bowl day and counting. Isn't it super-fantastic that the Cowboys

are there? Thanks so much for your last letter, I enjoyed hearing of your life so much and

as you say- it's so great as it is instead of as it could be with accidents, hospitals, etc.

Speaking of that, when the trampoline comes March 15, I trust you and Jim will instill a

healthy respect in A. & D. for the dangers involved in getting over-exuberant and carried

away with too much height so that a mis-directed jump could hit the steel frame. My ex

-wife and I discussed this by mail before I even decided to get it for you and she advised

me that you and Jim could handle the situation so as to insure their safety.

The CB craze is even worse out here in West Texas and people are going ape over thefts-

 new songs like "The White Knight" etc. I don't have one because I can't talk that weird

lingo.

Baby, you sound swell, so happy, busy, and fulfilled. I'm really happy for you. Billy

sounds like a card- the whole deck. I hope to meet him sometime.

The picture of Kesh on the car was in Big Bend Nat'l Park when Pete and I went down

there. The other 3 pictures show a cave I found all by myself near Marathon where I found

those arrow heads. I can only go there on a Sunday when all the oil co. employees of the

Phillips 6 & Co. are not around. I think prehistoric men lived in the cave. See the pictures

on the wall and the mortar they ground grain in?

Carmen couldn't come in December because of no clothes to wear in cold weather. It

would have cost me a whole winter wardrobe. Hopefully she'll come in May.

I just got a $25 a week raise . Happy day. Say hi to all the family for me, Doll. Take good

care of yourself. Love, Dad

ps- sorry I don't write promptly. Writing is a drag until I get it done- then I'm glad.

 

 


May 25 1976

Dear Peggy:

I just got back from Big Bend Park Sun.nite and your letter was in my P.O.box- thanks- it's

good to hear from you. I'm so glad you have the girls' school squared away and don't

have to move.

I'm still concerned about Rusty as you are. I really wish he had stayed his last 2 weeks (or 3) at the VA Hosp and come off of those heavy tranquilizers gradually instead of all at once like he did. He was nearly back to normal when I put him on the bus to Dallas, but I had a nagging doubt that he possibly wasn't quite up to snuff. He seemed slightly vague about his future plans.

I don't want him to be a burden on your mother either, and I made it clear to him that

when he got all his lost papers replaced, he was welcome to occupy my empty master

bedroom until Sept when Carmen is coming from Bogota, Columbia to live with me.

(We're getting a Mexican marriage or her parents would not consent) But a Mexican

marriage is not legal in US as far as property goes and anyhow the will cements the trust

fund down where it is unchangable.

I'm so happy the girls like the trampoline. Also that you and Jim are doing fine. Marriage

is a hard SOB to make work successfully (I should know) and I'm proud of you both to

hang in there so well.

Let me tell you about Big Bend. Pete went (63 years and I've got him smoking grass) and

we had a ball sleeping in sleeping bags and eating chow that his wife prepared.

Kesh is gone for good- either dead or stolen but a lady brought over a black lab last

week to the store because she knew me from when Kesh made her St Bernard pregnant.

Well, she and I both thought this was Kesh, cause he was an exact duplicate but it turned

out to be one of his offspring he has littered all over Big Spring.

So now I have Kesh 2 and the Hunts still take care of him and he is a year old. Every

movement and mannerism and behavior pattern is an exact duplicate of Kesh. He is a

super good dog and in a year or so I'll have his muscles and strength built up to the super

power that Kesh had.

Well- give my best to my two sweeties. The best 2 little girls in Texas. Love, Dad

ps- I watch "Austin City Limits" on cable TV- it's great. Can you get that in Big D?

Here's a joke for the girls: a sausage dog (Dauchsund) in Big Spring got wrapped around

a fire plug until his nose was right up to his tail end touching it. And he said, "That's

strange!! I thought I knew every dog in town." Heh Heh- I made that one up, baby.

Peggy, I'm so sorry child, but I don't have your birth cert. any longer, so you will probably

have to get it from the Michigan Dept. of Health in Detroit. The fee is $3.00, Sorry about

that.

 

 


July ? 1976

(first page is missing)

...letter was so happy and full of news I loved hearing from you.

Amy's Toframil affects the Thalmus of the brain causing an anti-depressant response in

adults and in kids it has the unique effect of causing the Thalmus to block the motor

nerve to the sphinctor muscle of the bladder. Ain't it great?

Let me tell you the most fantastic info you've ever heard. That MD in Tijuana Mexico who

discovered Vitamin B-17 in apricot pits extracts the oil from the apricot pits and prepares

Laotril(?) injections for his 2 to 3 hundred cancer patients from all over the world. Plus

they are on a  raw fruit and vegetable diet for the 6 weeks they stay. All come home

CURED except the ones who are full up with cancer and all rotted away.

Well, I heard a tape prepared by a health nut and it says- eat 3 dried apricot pits a day

plus at least 1 apple, pear, peach, or zucchini (raw) and you can't get cancer. The

cyanide molecules in the Vit B-17 are unlocked by the fruit and vegetable enzymes

ONLY WHEN they come in contact with cancer cells, then the cyanide molecule is

unlocked to attack the cancer cells and destroy them.

I got 3 pounds of pits and eat 3 a day so I can't get cancer- EVER. How sweet it is. Visit

your local health food store and get some apricot pits. You'll have such a feeling of

security knowing you can't get cancer.

Say hi to my favorite son-in-law.

Glad the kids like the trampoline so much. They will have super shapely legs when in jr

high cause it's terrific excercise for the leg muscles.

Well child- gotta run. I'm leaving Feb '78 when Mitch and I and Carmen and Hughey, the

son of Kesh leave New Orleans on a banana boat with the Pinto and Trailer and land in

Panama City, and drive up one county north to Costa Rica. (Not Mexico cause too much

inflation) I already have my passport.

Love to Amy & Dana- the best little stinkers in Dallas. Love, Dad

ps- The world's worst writer of letters can't stop if he ever can get started. Bye

pss- Kesh 2 turned out to have an irate owner who took him back. Thus, my acquisition of

Hughey, Keshe's son. I'm coming to Dallas the weekend of Aug 7 and 8, see ya then. But

not bringing the dog. He still doo-doo's on things.

 

 

 

sept '77

Dear Peggy & Jim & kids:

Peggy I sure thank you for the beautiful sweater-shirt. You couldn't have picked a better

winter, baby. You're an angel to think of me that way. Thanks again.

The whole reason this letter is so late is because of the photo of the kids & me on the

trampoline. See, I dropped my camera down a 7000 foot canyon cliff the last time I went

to Chihuihui and the trampoline pictures of the kids were still in the camera. So I took

your print to get 3 more prints made from it.

Wasn't that book about sugar interesting? Now I see how your grandma passed away at

67. Sugar did her in- cause she was a terrible sugar junkie.

I'm having lots of fun sprouting seeds and eating the sprouts at nite for snacks. Also I still

eat 3 apricot pits daily in the am to ward off cancer. Also pop pumpkin seeds dried and

Rutin tabs to keep the old bod going.

Well, Costa Rica is a reality for sure in Feb. 78. Will be leaving 27th or 28th taking my

175lb horse with me in a dog-trailer. I have an appt to get the Pinto painted Porsche

Orange & Black and a roof carrier installed like the one we took to Michigan on top of

the Chevy.

Hi Amy. Hi Dana- I love you both.

Best regards to you all. Love, Grampa

ps- my stereo unit is great. mucho good tapes & records

 


 


March 13 1978

Dear Peggy:

Hi college girl. Hope this finds you with warmer weather than 26 degrees, as when you

wrote in your last letter. Here the rainy season is about on us and the dry season will sure

be missed. But the farmers are ready cause it hasn't rained one single day for 2&1/2

months.

I sure enjoyed your letter, honey. Jim & Frank's project on the upstairs of your house

sounds fabulous- you're going to have a show-place some day if you keep on like that.

Isn't it great about Rusty getting better- in fact being RECOVERED COMPLETELY according

to Susan. Believe me- I would never have consented to his borrowing on his inheritance if

it hadn't been a matter of such dire necessity- so to speak. "His ultimate last chance to

rejoin the human race", right? May be not the word choice but you know what I mean.

When you wrote the last letter, he was not nearly better (remember the nurse had to see

that he took his medicine) and I was so happy to hear of his speedy and dramatic

recovery. Susan did get it right didn't she? Is he really all better as she reported in her last

letter?

Well, as she may have told you, I'm moving again. This time because the couple are no

longer a couple and are selling the Airstream out from under me. But you should see the

apt. I'm moving into the 20th. All furnished- beautiful view and with 2 other American

singles and 3 couples of Americans in a complex of 10 apartments. And walking

distance of downtown if I want.

Disney was here in San Jose for a week, helping me get squared away in the trailer. She's

in Santa Cruz now but will be back to help me get moved into the apartment. She said

her sister "Snow White" would be glad to meet Jim's friend Allen B. so he could be the

daddy to her "little mistake" she is carrying around now.

Would you believe I finally got all my Christmas boxes, yours too, for which I dearly thank

you. (Please tell all family- only cards next season, ok?) I'm sorry to say the cheese had

gone bad- small wonder- it was four months old. But the customs guy gave me the card

with photos after he finished opening the box. They were great- thanks and thanks for the

cheese, sweetie!! So nice of you to send it- you're one of the nicest people in the whole

world for my money-correction- I guess the nicest!!!! Bye, Love, Dad

 

 

 


June 10, 1978

Dear Peggy:

If you've been wondering why no letter from your Old Man, it's cause I think our mail got

crossed up when I changed addresses 3 times. There are several letters that never

caught up to me. Anyhow, child, how are you? And the kids? I've got the little stinker's

picture on the wall- the one on the trampoline. They are something else. Tell them Hello

for me and that I love them.

Costa Rica is something else too. It's really a fantastic place with the temperature (NO

LIE) each day within 2 degrees of 85, can be on either side. It's uncanny how it never

changes.

I have met some friends here in Santa Cruz-  3 are bi-lingual and Oliver, an American

from San Diego, plays chess. Not too well- but he is helping my Spanish and I'm

attempting to help his chess. I also met a young Japanese/Costa Rican girl named

Disney (can you believe that?) She goes swimming in the Pacific with me when I go. The

road is 21 miles of bad bad bad road, so I only go about once a week.

I often think of you and Jim & the kids and the busy life you lead. Hope Jim is doing all

the good in the poker games.

This is not a very well constructed letter, but I'll try to do better next time. Happy New

Year (belated) to you & the whole family. Write when you can and by the way, please

mention who played in the Super Bowl and naturally who won. None of the papers or

Time mag. tells, dammitt.

Susan wrote me that Rusty is undergoing treatment for which I'm mighty thankful. Love,

Dad

P.S.- I meant to tell you about the motel I live in. It's super plush, even by American

standards. Big swimming pool always with fresh clear constantly changing water. Maid

service- fresh linens every day. Refrigerator and hot plate. Stuff I eat is: coffee & honey &

milk each am- mixed together I mean- Also wheat bread and cheese- white bread &

peanut butter. Prepared soup mixes- fresh fruits & vegetables and rice and beans with 2

eggs. The last I always get at a restaurant for 2&1/2 colones (30 cents). Then treats at

places they call soda-bars include banana splits and sundaes. That's about it diet-wise.

More on the motel. It has a thatched, high-pointed roof like African tribal chief's have,

over the restaurant- dance floor- band stand. Hardly anyone eats there cause their

prices are too high. Rent is quite reasonable, though. More later- Truly, Dad

 

 

 

11-19-78

Hi Peggy & Jim & Dana & Amy:

Before the Cowboy game comes on I thought it was high time to write you all and try to

answer some of your last (long ago) letter.

It seems ages since we had our visit in Austin last summer- because so much has been

happening to me, it seems longer.

 Anyhow, I finally got off my butt and went back to pharmacy again. I manage and run

the Gibson pharmacy in the great city of Marlin, Texas. It finally came together for me

after laying off pharmacy for a whole year. First I had trouble remembering names of

medicines, but finally it all came back.

Peggy, I loved the letters from the girls that came with yours. They sound brighter than

average kids- I think the Catholic schools are giving them a much better education than

the public schools would, don't you?

I saw Rusty twice since he moved to Waco. Man- is he messed up!!! Yet!!! Hopefully he

will improve but I wonder. I'm afraid it's a permanent thing with him. So sad that it

happened to him.

I'm going to Austin for Thanksgiving and see some friends of mine. Maybe Texas will beat

Aggies that day I hope, the Dallas Cowboys are messed up this year aren't they? Too

late for them now.

Write when you can.

Love, Grampa

 

 

May 6- 1979

Dear Peggy & family,

Hi you guys- I know how delinquent I am in writing, but that's how life in West Texas is-

slow & easy. Thanks for your last letter, Peggy. I couldn't agree more with you about the

"rightness" of staying there instead of moving to tornado-ridden DeSoto. Seriously, I

always knew you were wrong to get into an "affluence" area because you all are so

satisfied & happy where you are.

Wasn't that a lucky whim that prompted Jim to request the previa discovery through the

sonogram. I can imagine how much better it is for you to know they're warned by 6

weeks rather than discovering it during the delivery.

But the earlier time of delivery caught me unable to be there in early June cuz I have

booked reservations in Vegas at the Union Plaza. So I'll see my new grand baby in July

when I plan to spend a weekend in Dallas, probably the 1st or 2nd weekend of July- ok?

I'm glad you're taking it easy, Peggy.

Tell that little stinker Dana that I can't wait to see her mouth all full of shiny teeth. And tell

Amy I'm bringing both she and her sister a present from Las Vegas.

All is well here. Rusty bugged me one weekend when he called to get him out of jail, in

Belton. I drove over there in my Subaru 5 speed front wheel drive. Got him out of jail &

turned him loose on the Galveston highway out of Austin. We tried to have a few drinks in

an Austin night club, but he got us kicked out. That happened about 2 or 3 weeks after

our trip to Big Bend.

JUST down P < a had Kesh, lab, black new The Sonora. near trip camping from back got>

good time swimming in the Concho River & so did I.

See you guys in July. Call me in case of emergency. Hope it's a boy. Love, Dad.

 

 

 

7/28/79
Dear Son in Law:

Hi Jim. Probably all this nutrition info I'm about to spell off at you may remind you of the

first time any friend of yours asked you to try the game of golf. You probably thought they

were crazy for playing and you were crazy for accepting their invitation.

Well so it is with the thought of you thinking anyone is crazy for taking 13 to 17 Vit &

Mineral tabs & caps each day. You'll think the one inviting you to try it is a weirdo and

you'd be one if you tried it. Nevertheless I'm asking you to try it!! You will look back with

wonder about 3 months from now and say "how could I have functioned each day back

then when now I'm at a 50 or 75 % higher efficiency level of functioning."  Well anyhow,

that's how it was with me when my boss' wife Thelma introduced me to and brow-beat

me into accepting her world of nutrition. Well enough bullshit about all dat.

Anyhow, here's what I take each day and I hereby advise you to try it- you'll like it. First

I'll list the vitamins and minerals I take and the reason for each (I think) all I know is it

works.

Natural Vit. C from Rose hips- 2 500 mg tabs daily. (strengthens blood capillaries and

gives you super immunity from ailments.)

About 25 mg of Vit B6 daily- Nature's diuretic- your kidneys need it.

2 tablets of Dolomite daily- gives you magnesium & calcium to improve your whole

metabolism

1 tablet of Zinc- 50 mg daily- Lets you get it up. Prevents prostate congestion and gives

you teenage hair & eyebrows.

Vitamin B-15- 50mg tabs- one daily- Discovered by the Ruskies, it oxygenates all your

cells.

Rutin 50mg- 2 tabs daily. It makes you utilize protein.

Alfalfa tabs- About 2 tabs daily (325 mg each)- gives you joint and muscle tone- keeps

your golf score low.

Vit. A- about 1 25000 unit capsule every other day- keeps your skin smooth & your hair

healthy

Vit E 400 u caps- take 2 daily- keeps circulation at perfection and helps you be

aggressive.

Ginseng caps or tabs- take one every other day- Remember why pilots say they keep it

up longer? That's their Ginseng.

Selenium- 25 mcg tabs- take one daily. For your nerve and muscle synapses. You know it

if you skip 2 or 3 days.

THAT'S ALL !!!

Aren't you glad? Take the whole mess together in the morning after you've been up

about 30 minutes. Just gulp 'em all down with milk.

Can you dig it? Try it- you can dig it.

Love- your father-in-law

PS- I just got back from a raft float down a 22 mile stretch of the Guadalupe River right

close to Canyon Lake. One of the Hunt boys went with me (Sky) and my dog. We

overturned one time and lost our hats. We made the whole 22 miles in 5 &1/2 hrs.  Some

of the rapids scare the by-Jesus out of you.

 

 

 


Sept 13 1979

Hi  P.J.D.A.&V.

Hope this finds you all in fine fettle and that your fall activities are starting out smoothly.

(School.)

Jim, I'm hopeful and anxious that your money and time investment in the Thelma P.

Nutrition Plan is beginning to give you enough positive feedback as to where you can

say, "Yep, it's working for me!!"

Well Peggy, as you can see by the enclosures this is a favor I'm asking you (as usual).

Would you please run down the 2 addresses in question and enclose them on a piece of

paper in the stamped envelope to the back? Thanks kid.

Rusty is working as a dish washer at $2.90 an hour at a local restaurant. He's moving in

his own apartment on Sat the 15th and pays only $135 a month for a nice furnished

garage apt with elec and water paid. Didn't I tell ya this West Texas is cheap living?

I now have Home-Box-Office TV ($10 a month extra) and see all kinds of bare bods on

the R-rated movies. Last night Rusty & I watched "Capricorn 1"- a good flick- also- "Super

Fly" is coming this week as is "Boulevard Nights" etc.

Well- gotta go. Rusty is getting his s**t together up to his maximum capability. Which is

more than he has been doing, right?

See ya, Love, Dad

 

 

 

 


March 11 1980

Dear Peggy:

Enjoyed hearing from you recently. Dana got on my case for calling her the best gymnast

in the world, the little stinker. That Vickie sounds like a mess.

Looks like I lied to you about Rusty being back to his old self again. He's still a Jesus-

freak of the 1st magnitude. Oh well- better than Devil-worship I guess. Anyhow, it's no

longer my problem, cause I resign from it. His girlfriend really is a dip-s**t, isn't she? (I

never said that.)

Please give this to the girls-

Dear Dana & Amy:

Hope this finds you both in the best of spirits and getting ready for Spring to come. That's

why I put these 2 checks in here- so each of you can go out and buy some object that

will make Spring be happier.

Dana- you sure did great on that spelling bee. And Amy you are so grown up for a girl

your age it blows my mind. I thank you both for your fine letters you wrote me.

I had to change families to take care of Kesh. The Robinsons moved into a house without

a fence so now the Burgesses take care of him. They have a real high redwood fence he

can't jump over so far. They also have a female shepherd-collie that romps and plays

with Kesh.

I just got a new tape by a group called Creedence Clearwater Revival. It's real good-

has a song on it called Suzie Q that reminds me of you two little stinkers. Well gotto go

now, Love, Grampa

ps- I'm still thinking about whether we should go to war with Russia- catch ya later

 

 

 


June 3 1980

Dear Peggy:

Hi- thanks for your newsy letter which was all the better cause I really owed you one.

Getting turned on to letter writing- takes all the resolve and will power I have.

Sounds like you'll be a mama again pretty soon. I'm sure it's going to be a boy, Girl.

Hope your mother works out her problem with that dip-s**t she married. But the single life

ain't so bad if she doesn't. This 28 year old Vanessa (my mulatto playmate) makes my

life very interesting even though she uses me outrageously. Oh well- I use her too. She

loves a 32 year old white plumber with long blonde hair and I love her, so it's a great

scene.

Rusty remains the unsolved mystery of the family. He could have a fairly stable life if he

would get rid of his girlfriend. Mitch will do ok whatever he decides on. Pardon this

atrocious writing- I just got back from 6 days of alcohol & grass in Mexico and haven't

recovered my writing ability yet.

About Kesh- I just talked to the head vet at Casa Linda Animal Clinic there in Dallas. He

said do 1 of 3 things- 1) wait 2 months for possible nerve regeneration  2) amputate  3)

take him to Ohio State vet school in Columbus and spend 1500 for nerve surgery. Haven't

decided what to do yet. (put him away?) Can't send you any money this time cause

Vanessa went to San Antone to visit her sister. Thanks again for your letter. Bye, Dad

ps- This one broad in Chihuahua brought 2 f**s in my motel to smoke some grass with us

and I had to kick all 3 out, they were so weird. But I don't do grass here in B.S. at all. Only

on vacations. I promise. Bye

 

 

 

November 7 1980

Dear Peggy:

Thanks for your really nice letter of 11-4. The photos of baby Jim were superb, and I will

treasure them. I'm looking forward to seeing you soon.

(I am involved in my most complicated cooking I ever do- Uncle Ben's Rice- and it will

be done in 27 more minutes according to the box directions.)

Rusty has a job at Jo-Boy's Restaurant!! He started at 7 am this morning washing dishes

and his girlfriend stays in the hotel room I rented for them until the gov't check comes

(today?) She is very insecure and lacks the confidence to get out in public view of

people. Rusty is trying to help her from this fear of living in the public- real world. He's

better I think, but says he will still get medicine from the VA to keep getting his monthly

check until he is financially able to be self-supporting and secure.

Well- baby- guess I'll hook 'em now- don't you LOVE the Cowboys?

Bah, Dad

ps- Peggy- did I tell you recently how much I love you? Well it's billions and trillions. Love,

Dad

 

 

 

sometime in 1980?

Dear Peggy:

Hi honey, how's the rat race treatin ya, chicadee? It's been a while since I've written, and

I know I owe you a lettah. Would you believe I've searched my apartment for your last

lettah and it's gone with the wind. Well, uh, I'll just start from scratch.

Life is being very good to me right at this time and I'm as happy as I've ever been in my

life. It's all due to a special friendship I have with the girl that lives in the cottage behind

my apartments. She's a real angel right out of heaven.

How's the gas situation there in Big D? It's 1.12 a gallon here for regular!! Some kick in the

a*s, huh? We had a party here last night, drinking Pina Coladas and stereo music. Rusty

was here and really enjoyed himself. He is off all of his medication now, just vitamins, so

for all practical purposes I would say he is completely cured and back to his old self

again. Not bragging, but I'll have to take some credit for that, and count it as one of the

positive things I've done in my life that really did another person alot of good (saved a

life). He is 1/2 completed with his dental work at the VA hosp.

My job is going good. We're stealing prescriptions from K-Mart and Medicine Shoppe

because of our "superior service and personell."

Take it easy, Love, Dad

 

 


May 18 1981

Dearest Peggy:

Hi number 1 daughter. Thanks for yer great letter & phone call. Well first I'll ramble on

about my life lately and what's been happening, also let you know about Kesh.

Well, I needed another person to keep him cuz the previous one (out in the boonies)

couldn't keep him (on 3 legs you know) from wandering to a house 1 & 1/2 miles further

out in the boonies, owned by a doctor with 3 golden retrievers who stayed around the

house, loose and free as Kesh was supposed to do at his house.

This doctor had to phone me 4 times to come and get him, so I put him in the kennels.

Then when I found Mrs. Fortune to keep him, she had never had a dog in her life and got

concerned the way he kept jumping her fence and coming over to my apartment (30

blocks on 3 legs and didn't know the way) So we decided to try a choke chain- he got

tangled around a sapling- panicked- struggled and had a heat stroke. His kidneys

wouldn't function then so the vet had to put him to sleep.

Well - on to happier things. I got a letter from Mitch and he seems to have mended his

broken heart ok. I have been into the boomerang fad that's hit Big Spring. I broke and

lost 7 altogether and have 3 more on order now. I'm sending 2 of them to Dana & Amy but

be sure to not get so good that they come back and hit them. They are so much fun (as

all second childhood people will tell you) when you make a perfect throw straight

ahead for 100 yards or so and then it rises straight up and to the left above 250 feet high

& then circles right back to you where you have to duck to keep from getting

decapitated. Fun, Fun, Fun!!!

My relationship with Vanessa is progressing admirably. We even may be leaving B.S. for

Las Vegas, but it's just conjecture. Rusty has been despondent since his girlfriend took a

powder and left him sitting alone in his 2 bedroom duplex. He starts welding training at

the college in Sept. but doesn't have much to do in the meantime. He hopes she will

return soon, which she probably will. I have him over for TV, food & chess and he made

me promise not to leave B.S. till at least Nov. cause he says he hasn't got it together

enough just yet to not have me in the same town. Wow!! @*(*&%$

Work is going fine but I'm getting tired of pharmacy. Bore Bore Bore

Will call soon-

Bye- Dad

 

 


Feb 21 1982

Dear Peggy,

Hi honey- you angel to be concerned so much for yer old man (only 59, ya bum). Well

really I was so flabbergasted at your concern that I already completed 3 pages of a

letter, then didn't like it and tore it up. That was 3 days ago, so here goes again.

First of all, I'm extremely involved in my new job and find it exciting and satisfying to

meet the challenge. Walgreen's is really a great company and I'm liking the people I

work with and my new boss ever so much better than those in Big Spring. (I didn't think

that would be possible.)

Secondly, my personal life is great! I mean super great. Last week I drove over to Big

Spring Tues night and did a baggie full of fresh mushrooms with my pal from the apt

upstairs, Ray his name is. We ate the mushrooms at 11:15 am and at 11:50 we really got

off on them and were tripping on that psylysyben that's in them- seeing colored grids of

images in the air- fantastic we finally hit the sack at 3:30 am- I slept on his couch and left

in time to get to work in Odessa at 1:30 pm Wed afternoon.

Thirdly- I've still got Vanessa to fool around with and found a new one here in Midland

named Darlene through a want ad I placed in a local paper. She's great, not as stacked

as Vanessa, but much more flambouyant and bouncy and high-spirited. She's a Chicano

but speaks better English than I do and works for an oil co. in Midland. (Here's the ad I

placed that drew her into my net.)

She didn't move in with me, but offered me the invitation to move in with her. But we're

both going to remain in our own pads for now. She doesn't know about Vanessa and vice

versa. So I'm doing all the good when it comes to happiness and excitement & learning

new things about life ("tripping on mushrooms")

I appreciate your sincere thoughts and concern about me & your mother, but at this time

in life it would be impossible- maybe in 5 years I might give it a thought or two- ok? But

your news about you and your mom being back heart to heart is one of the happiest

things I've ever heard and I'm really delighted to know you two are together in spirit like

you should be.

About my relationship not being up to par with you guys- I agree with you- I'd love to be

near you in Dallas to do all of the things you describe in your letter, but, Peggy- life is so

damn fickle, we are led by circumstances into areas that compromise some of the things

we want to do. (Great philosopher speaking now) But really- no kidding- I would like that

more than words can say, but here I am in Midland- Odessa- loving every minute of this

boom-town atmosphere- so what the hell- I'll just have to play it by ear I guess.

Rusty is visiting me the 1st and 4th week of March and I really look forward to it, I try to

give him the red carpet treatment all I can. Honey- please tell Dana and Amy I loved

their letters and am going to answer them both real soon- I'll enclose a little green to

reward them for their patience in waiting for answers- those 2 darlings each have their

special charm, don't they?

Don't worry- you couldn't keep me away from my visit for a week this summer- and I

know you're holding me to it- That's great. I want to be held to it.

Guess I better cool it for now and sign off. My Pink Floyd tape just finished so good night. I

love you too - Dad

 

ps- Sorry about my atrocious writing- I let too much Bud hit my empty tummy. Promise to

write bettah next time.

 

 

1985

Dear Peggy & Jim,

Hi- hope all is going great in all ways for you- and from the sound of your last letters they

are.

I'm really ready for a visit to Oak St. next month if you'll still have me over after not

writing in so long.

As you may have heard, Miyoko and I have ended the relationship and don't see much

of each other anymore. It was ok while it lasted, but sort of wore out. A divine power sent

another guy to take her off my hands and take over her care. (whew!)

Also, Rusty never made it down here as you know. I really don't think he wanted it. But

whatever the reason, the whole deal is off now. It was probably never meant to be.

I have made friends here though, and still manage to keep happy and active. It's a

great place here in the valley for retired people.

I'm sure anxious to see the kids. I'll bet Jimmy and Vickie will be such a change since I saw

them. Thanks alot, Peg for the photos you sent me of the grand opening of your second

Diet Center. There used to be one here 3 or 4 years ago, but the 80% Mexican-Americans

wouldn't quit their tacos, so it went broke.

If you have any more of those San Antone American Airline tickets, Jim, I'll come up that

way. Otherwise I'll come by SW Airlines. I'm really looking forward to it, gang. See ya then

-  Love, Grampa

 

 

 

Oct 20 1985

Dear Peggy,

Hi daughter. Long time since I wrote, don't you think? Lots of things happened since I saw

you.

1. I moved into a retirement apartment complex for social security people- brand new

and extremely nice. I love it. From now on, if you send any mail, please send to my PO

box.

2. I'm not getting married to Miyoko. I chickened out. No guts.

3. She had a quadruple bypass operation and it was on Sept 30. She's getting along fine.

4. Since she's disabled, she qualifies to move in as medicaid recipient. So we'll be living

about 200 yards away from each other and can remain boyfriend and girlfriend. Check

that! Make it old man friend and old lady friend.

So I started a chess club of my own- recruited my own members- 4 of us play on Tues &

Thurs afternoons and I win a whole lot. I lost my butt in a tourny in McAllen last month.

Also, I still excercise alot and go to a "Mens World" twice a week. That wraps up my

current status.

So, Peggy, how's your life & are ya finishing up nursing? How's the best son-in-law in the

world? And my best grandkids in the world? I sure love 'em. Got all the pictures up in my

new apt. If you ever get a chance and the notion to write, tell me about all the family.

Where are they all?

Love ya, Dad.

ps- Miyoko will still have the same phone at the new apt. in case of emerg.

 

 

June 21 1988

Dear Peggy

Hi gal- happy daughter's day to ya, dear. This is to answer your much appreciated

phone call of several weeks ago. Remember how you said not to expect any real "cure"

with Rusty & how I said I knew it? Well events have proved you to be more than correct.

In fact, much as I hate to admit it, he actually has regressed (just between you & me,

ok?) and seems to be more and more "out of it". But, since me being in the valley is sort

of marking time until Mitch gets the house, I'm only too glad to be in a position to help

Rusty for the present.

So what's goin down in Dallas? Not too much here goin on. I'm booked for a great 4th of

July celebration at the Hilton on the island. Told Rusty he would have to fend for himself

on that day.

Crap- my handwriting is the second thing to go     ...after the eyes!

I'll bet Amy's graduation was a great event. And that the two little ones are happy it's

summer vacation. Hope you're soon able to sell the business to that interested party.

Well I'm still able to have fun in Mexico occasionally like I'm gonna do this Thursday. I just

tell Rusty I'm off for some 66 year old sex and to hold the fort down. He does and I do.

So, break a leg! See ya, Dad

ps- Hi Jim. How's the best son-in-law in Texas?

pss- Hi Dana. I'm sure proud of you, young lady- goin after your degree! Bye.

 

 


1988

Dear Peggy & Jim, et all.

Hey, how't it going up there, ya'll?

Hope you're over the trauma of losing Simba, he was a beautiful dog- and you would

never have known that he was neutered. Well, kiddos, I'm coping with living in an

efficiency apt. with Rusty. Think of the movie "A Clockwork Orange" minus the murderer

and you got it. But I must say it's SLOWLY little by micro-little getting better. We're "mind-

communicating" now according to Rusty and that's less stressful than day after day of

complete silence.

So- did you guys read "Scorpio Rising" yet. If not- you better hurry up. It's super-great. So-

break a leg! Grampa J.

 

 

April 18 1989

Dear Peggy & Jim,

How's my esteemed daughter and favorite son-in-law? Hey, thanks for the photo of me

and my favorite young grandchildren. Hope my part of the photo didn't break your

camera.

I really think it's great that you guys invited me to join you for some weekend activities. I

really feel honored that you asked me! But can you believe I've got myself committed to

teaching English with the Texas State Literacy Organization here in the Harlingen Literacy

Center. I've agreed to teach Mon. and Weds. evenings and I start Mon. night.

So, guys, that's why I feel that I need to be preparing myself over the weekend for my

FIRST one-on-one session Mon. night at 6 to 8 pm. My student is a computer whiz from the

U. of Monterrey but can't speak any English and needs to be able to get employment in

San Antone. His name is Escobal de la Garza. (means "of the stork".) I haven't met him

yet, but they told me his name.

Soooo - that's why. Other opportunities will come along and I won't miss you the next

time. I rode the Honda to the Rio Grande today and drank a can of Bud sitting up on a

big bluff overlooking the river. It was fun.

Say hi to the gang for me! Don't forget. Best regards, Dad

(he enclosed a brochure entitled "Fact Sheet: Adult Illiteracy In The United States", along

with the letter that states that he's been accepted as a volunteer.)

 

 

 

Oct 1993

Dear Little Jim,

I found this rock in 1978 down in Costa Rica near Puntarenas on the beach. It has about

50 fossils embedded on it of tiny sea creatures. It makes a great paper weight for your

desk when you're a bank president. Enjoy.

Love, Grampa

 

 

 

 

 

Jan 9 1995

Dear Peggy-

Hi gal. Just a short lettah cause I felt like it. Rusty has been wandering in CA for the last 4

days and he still hasn't lost my bomber jacket. I figured you and the kids hadda see this

article about the Monitor lizard. Makes my ferrets seem real normal, huh? Love those

COWBOYS! Love, Dad

 


 

~*~

 

 

 

(my mom- Peggy- wrote this, it was written in a spiral notebook that was underneath all my grandfather's letters...)

 

6/4/97

1:30- got a call from Tony at work w/msg to call Dad's apt, that there has been an

accident w/ Dad.

Genine says that the police are there & that Dad has been taken to the ER

(lists all doctors & numbers)

Bullet entered thru R temple, large exit wound- has occasional respirations, but pupils

are non-reactive to light- dialated & fixed- they did CT scan which showed massive

damage- had lost a lot of blood

3:06 pm- called ER, they said he had been transported to ICU. Nurse said he was

comatose upon arrival @11:45- "bleeding very badly, on breathing machine." I

explained to her that Dad wished for his body to be donated to Univ of Nev Med Science

Dept & that he wants no efforts to be done to prolong his life. She said that they had

already disconnected breathing machine when ER MD explained DNR status to them.

SAYS P < pm. 1:03 at beating stopped heart his>

6/6- spoke w/ Rhonda, asked her to have Dr. P dictate a letter to me indicating Dad's

status upon arrival @ ER- to reassure family that he was in no pain. She will relay msg- we

can expect letter next week.

on 6/2/97, Dad called (Sunday night) & asked about every person in our family &

whether or not I had had any recent communication with Susan, what her plans are for

her return- wasn't sure if he should send letter to England- he was afraid she would leave

before it arrived, so he decided to wait until she returned to speak with her. He inquired

about all of the children- how each of them were. Big Jim happened to be at my house,

so they got to talk to one another. Little did I know it was his goodbye call.

He said he had been to the grocery store that day, & how difficult that was- how he had

to double over to breathe every 10/15 feet-

We talked about getting a scooter, the kind Dana & I rented for him in May on our visit. He

seemed in good spirits- never let on if he had plans at that time to end his life. He

remembered how I had asked for one of his oranges on both trips this year, because

when I got to Reno, in his refrigerator I found some newly purchased oranges, a Hershey

w/ Almonds, & 2 chocolate eclairs. He probably knew.

I hope this helps in some small way to let everyone know that he did love each one of us

so much. He has been so vital & active all of his life- he just couldn't bear growing so

helpless & weak. The thought of being dependent on other people to care for his basic

needs was not an option for him.

I will remember him at his favorite blackjack table at the Calneva so proud about a $25

or $30 win, surfing the net, staying in communication with folks all over the globe. He

even struck up a conversation with a guy from Zagreb, Bosnia- Herz., renamed for the

town in Yugoslavia where he was shot down in WW2. Reading his library books, talking

with his neighbors, just living out his life in the way he chose to. - Peggy

 

© 2008 Mister Jones


My Review

Would you like to review this ?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow! Thanks for sharing these...they were very interesting..It is nice being able to read other peoples thoughts and to know what they are thinking....Some of them are comical, sad, angry, and otherwise very good...If these are not based on true life..then you could write a story using these..I would read them...Anyways, these were very intriging..I am looking forward to reading more of your writing...Great job on this piece..is there more or are these it? if there are more you should add them...i will at least read them..if no one else does....thank you for sharing these...it is odd to write letters now a days due to the invention of e-mail and the telephone and other device...so it is always nice to have friendly reminder of what life used to be like and that it wasnt so easy to communicate back then..So thanks aonce again..I hope you add more writing soon so that I may eview them as well...Great job...keep up the good work and keep on writing!..

Your Friend,
Berserker...=)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Delightful read; I never thought i would enjoy a complete stranger's letters to folks I do not know, but you incited such enjoyment wiith this piece. Nicely done and welcome.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Welcome to the group! I enjoyed reading the letters. What a wonderful find for you. We seldom know others thoughts and I love letters from the past. Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow! Thanks for sharing these...they were very interesting..It is nice being able to read other peoples thoughts and to know what they are thinking....Some of them are comical, sad, angry, and otherwise very good...If these are not based on true life..then you could write a story using these..I would read them...Anyways, these were very intriging..I am looking forward to reading more of your writing...Great job on this piece..is there more or are these it? if there are more you should add them...i will at least read them..if no one else does....thank you for sharing these...it is odd to write letters now a days due to the invention of e-mail and the telephone and other device...so it is always nice to have friendly reminder of what life used to be like and that it wasnt so easy to communicate back then..So thanks aonce again..I hope you add more writing soon so that I may eview them as well...Great job...keep up the good work and keep on writing!..

Your Friend,
Berserker...=)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

428 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 5, 2008

Author

Mister Jones
Mister Jones

Dallas, TX



About
"...life is so damn fickle, we are led by circumstances into areas that compromise some of the things we want to do." this is my Grampa Jones ... flew bombers in WW2, came home & made a family, then.. more..