Short Story: A tale of two spiders

Short Story: A tale of two spiders

A Story by zennedpen
"

John killed four spiders, and he felt a bit sad in a way, but he was glad that he got the little blighters, anyway. So, was his wife! They both need to learn more about life, and its preciousness.

"


John was bringing his garbage bin in, through his back gate, when he saw a small jumping spider, on the concrete path.

Quickly, without even thinking about it, he stepped on it quickly, and it was dead.

Then, it was that he saw a second small jumping spider, close to where the other one had been, hiding for its dear life in a crevice, in the concrete, between sections.

John felt bad, and a little sad, too.

Maybe, this was the other spider's partner, and so it would miss its soulmate now, in this life.

With only a second thought, but not a third, John waited until the spider came back onto the concrete, and he then killed it too.

At least, she will not miss him now, was his thought.

Was his action justified, or not?

John went inside his house, and coincidentally, his wife told him that there were two small spiders, crawling next to each other, on the ceiling, in their loungeroom.

John got his feather duster, pushed it into the spider, where it became caught up in the feathers, then he shook it into the floor, and killed it.

He did the same with the second.

Four spiders dead, now, in as many minutes.

Life and death are as fleeting as this, for us too.

Unless we are happy in life, we will will also not be happy in death.

John was sort of happy, in the death of these spiders. 

Will anybody be happy, when he dies too?

We need to be happy in death too, as death is a part of our life, as it was for these spiders too.

Photo Credit: The photos used in this article were all sourced from the free media site, pixabay.com

© 2020 zennedpen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

49 Views
Added on November 20, 2020
Last Updated on November 20, 2020
Tags: short story, spiders, life, death, happiness

Author

zennedpen
zennedpen

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia



About
On line writer, on various writing sites, for the best part of nearly 20 years now. more..

Writing