WE MIGHT BE GOING WRONG...

WE MIGHT BE GOING WRONG...

A Story by Peter Rogerson
"

This is not fiction but my opinions relating to some of the things assaulting us on the news outlets these days.

"

WE MIGHT BE GOING WRONG...

There have been a lot of dark suggestions of late about the route our government is taking as it forges its way into the future. It has been likened to Adolf Hitler’s rise to power in the 20s and 30s leading up to that destructive monstrosity, the second world war, and it’s worth checking out whether there’s any truth in what opponents of the right wing in this country are saying. So I’ve taken a little look.

The most prominent subject in Hitler’s speeches appears to be racist, a hatred of anything Jewish and a determination to see the Jewish people reduced to nothing, at least in Germany. I won’t repeat any of his nonsense because it might lead to me being accused of anti-Semitism, and that is one thing (among many) that I abhor. What is clear, though, is that he intended the German people to be persuaded by his arguments and become anti-Semitic themselves. And that’s the way of people, to follow a leader: it’s how the human race came to promote individuals into positions of leadership in the first place when our ancesters lived in caves. So that was Germany in the 1920s and 1930s. Two decades in which the opinions of a tiny minority became the opinions of a nation. It led, inexorably, to the holocaust in which Jews were slaughtered by the thousand, gassed and mocked and subjected to the most dreadful fear.

That can’t happen here, can it?

I somehow think not, but my own (and your) doubt that it can’t happen isn’t stopping some from trying it on. And to give the lesson of hatred a gentle touch a couple of women as representatives of the more gentle sex have been put on the front row, to become spokespersons for the message. Two home secretaries, firstly Pritti Patel and then Suella Braverman have become synonymous with the hatred of those human beings who are the weakest and must vulnerable on the planet and therefore can’t defend themselves. Already fleeing from war and oppression, they are desperately looking for somewhere to settle, somewhere to live without the threat of guns and bombs in their lives. They take the most desperate of chances, too. There is a stretch of water that must be crossed for them toget here, and it is here they want to come because most of them know a smidgen of English besides their own language. Somehow it’s become the dominant language if you include second languages in your mix.

Not one of us, unless we have gone through it, can put ourselves into their position. Fleeing our homes in fear for our lives, men with their wives and children, and then demonised as murderers, rapists and criminals by two women in the land they hope to find at least a little peace in.

But the Patels and Bravermans of this nation aren’t really talking to the dispossessed because even if the dispossessed are listening they can do nothing about their plight. No: they are talking to we British nationals, those of us who are struggling anyway in a world being burdened by inflationary pressures. And the intention is to make us believe that those few people in little boats are a threat to us. They want what we’ve got. They want all of it, and they’ll overcome us with their numbers until they get it. Then there are debates in Parliament, how to further oppress the already oppressed.

That was how Adolf Hitler did it over a long period towards the beginning of the twentieth century. The gas chambers, the death, the piles of rotting bodies, came later, when the message had seeped through and enough men and women were convinced by it to see the Jews as a personal danger to them.

For us it’s the dispossessed, the weak, the vulnerable, that are being turned into monsters by two members of the fair sex. The gentle, understanding, sex. And in my opinion it’s a cunning way of providing us with a foe to fight so that we don’t turn against the real enemy: those who revel in wealth, those who can’t get enough and want ever more, those who own our utilities, those who lie and deceive and twist us round their fingers, those who want slavery in our towns and cities.

The Germans were never bad people. I know a few and I like them now and I would have liked them had I lived back when Hitler was leeching poison into their brains. Anyway, there are quite a lot of us who, if we traced our DNA back, might find a little bit of Germany in our own blood. And we’re not bad people either. But we are being deceived. And to help the deceivers they’ve got most of the media on their side, even our precious BBC. It’ll take more than a footballer or two to stop the wave of hatred leeching out at us. We must all gird our loins and research, study, find out for ourselves what the truth really is. Yes, there are people seeking life and coming our way in little boats, but they’re not the problem. Some of them may even be our salvation, doctors, nurses, people eith those skills. The problem is what we were taught to be afraid of, Naziism. On our airwaves, television screens and in our newspapers and amongst us. The politics our fathers and grandfathers fought so bitterly against in the middle of the last century. And I’m afraid that now we might be going wrong, and remember which set of ideals finally lost in a bunker in Berlin in 1945 when Hitler shot himself.

© Peter Rogerson 13.03.23

...

© 2023 Peter Rogerson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
Added on March 13, 2023
Last Updated on March 13, 2023
Tags: Germany, hatred, oppsression, conversion

Author

Peter Rogerson
Peter Rogerson

Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom



About
I am 80 years old, but as a single dad with four children that I had sole responsibility for I found myself driving insanity away by writing. At first it was short stories (all lost now, unfortunately.. more..

Writing