Monument

Monument

A Story by Phil Hubbard
"

A scene from 1969. The residents of a small mid-western town gather for the unveiling of a monument honoring the men and women of their town who died serving in Viet Nam.

"

May 1969

It’s 5 a.m., Melanie Johnson gives up any hope of meaningful sleep and eases her pregnant body out of bed.  The recurring nightmare and the restless kicking of her unborn son have combined to make yet another sleepless night.  She sits on the edge of the bed in her childhood bedroom, not fully accepting that she is here instead of the small tidy apartment that she shared with her husband Dwayne for such a short time.  She glances over at the nightstand hoping the letter is not there.  But it is.  She closes her eyes.
“Please God, make the letter go away. Make this part of the nightmare.”
But of course, it’s not.  The letter from the United States Department of Defense is terse and unemotional.
“We regret to inform you that your husband Corporal Dwayne Johnson was killed in action in the Republic of Viet Nam on December 24, 1968, when the HU-1 helicopter in which he served as a rear gunner, was struck by enemy fire and exploded upon contact with the ground.”

Dwayne and Melanie were high school sweethearts.  After high school, they married and Dwayne went to work in the mill, but they both knew he would enlist in the Army.  Every generation of Johnson men since the Civil War had served when the call came.  As Melanie pulled on Dwayne’s old football jersey, the only thing that fit now over her extended belly, she felt her son kick, letting her know that he was ready to be born in a few days.  What would she tell her son the first time he came home from kindergarten asking why he didn’t have a daddy like all the other kids?  As she descends the stairs to the kitchen, she is not sure she can handle going to the cemetery today for the ceremony honoring the men and women of Springfield Center who, along with more than 16,500 American servicemen and women, died in Viet Nam in 1968.

Bruce Babcock sighs with satisfaction as he ends his phone call with congressman Avery Langston.  Thanks to his hefty contributions to Langston’s reelection campaign, Langston has assured him that Babcock Manufacturing would continue to receive lucrative government contracts for the metal castings used in combat vehicles.
“Damn”, he thinks. War is good for business.”
In his role as a senior member of the House Budget Committee. Langston has been able to pull strings to see that Babcock’s sons Bruce Jr. and Steven receive cushy stateside assignments to complete their military obligation.  In the back of his mind, Bruce is vaguely worried about his youngest child Jessica.  After completing her nursing degree, defying his orders, Jessica joined the Army and quickly volunteered for combat duty in Viet Nam after completing Officers Training School.  His thoughts are interrupted by his secretary who steps into his office to remind him about the ceremony at the cemetery this afternoon.  He hates to take time away from work, but he must at least appear to care.  Many of his mill workers have lost sons and daughters in the war.  Reluctantly, he prepares to leave the office for the afternoon.  As he steps away from his desk, the phone rings.  It’s his wife.  She’s hysterical.  Between her sobs, he hears something about a special delivery letter from the Department of Defense.

Art Scalpellino stands back and surveys the plantings around the monument.  He is grateful that his brother-in-law Vinnie agreed to bring his landscaping crew from the city to prepare the ground in time for the ceremony this afternoon.  Art, whose last name in Italian means stone-cutter, is a third-generation stone carver.  For this special assignment, he created a simple base under two fluted columns supporting a rectangular marble slab.  On the slab, he created a large open ledger listing the names of the men and woman from Springfield Center who died in Viet Nam in chronological date order of their passing.  Art knows that this monument is his crowning achievement.  He views it with immense pride and heart-breaking despair.  The name, lovingly carved in the top left corner of the ledger is his son Arturo Jr., the first soldier from Springfield Center to die in the war.  It is May 1969.  The war is not over.  The left side of the ledger is blank.  He knows that more names will be added.

Jack Andrews deftly wheels his chair out into the corridor from his classroom.  Students in their rush out of the building to enjoy the freedom of a truncated school day greet him with the affection and respect due to a favorite teacher. In the safety of the school, Jack feels almost normal, unlike out in public where he is the recipient of blank stares, horrified looks because of his missing legs and impatient remarks from people who feel inconvenienced by his wheelchair. On his way to his car, he mentally reviews his remarks for the ceremony. He has always been reticent to talk about his combat experience, but outspoken about his opposition to a war, largely fought for the wrong reasons.

Father Peter Donovan struggles daily now with his faith. He finds it increasingly difficult to counsel his parishioners to trust in God’s infinite love, to follow a path of righteousness and seek their reward in heaven.  What can he say to both comfort and inspire grieving families and spouses at the ceremony today?  Who will comfort him?  Who will show him how to trust in God’s merciful love after receiving the news that his lifelong unrequited love, a fellow seminarian, had died in Viet Nam while administering last rites to his fallen comrades?  Hadn’t he followed God’s will in every way?  Confronting his demons, he entered the priesthood.  Resisting all temptation, he remained pure to this day.  He sought assignments helping the poor, the homeless and the downtrodden.  In Viet Nam, he risked his life, again and again, bringing communion to his fellow soldiers in the deepest darkest outposts of the war, learning the language, comforting Vietnamese children whose parents had been killed and their homes destroyed.  Throughout his tour of duty, he never feared for his life, knowing that God’s protective shield would keep him safe.  Now, instead of coming home in a coffin to a hero’s burial, he was quietly sent to Springfield Center to minister to the needs of a small, aging flock.  Why did God spare him?  He prayed for an answer.  God, what do you want from me?  He prayed for renewed faith to help him make sense of his life.
  

Of course, it rained.  A small group of tortured souls gathered around the monument for the brief ceremony.  Melanie Johnson traced the letters of Dwayne’s name on the ledger, speaking quietly to her unborn son.  Bruce Babcock forced any memory of his daughter from his mind, an unfortunate casualty of war. Art Scalpellino held back his tears and stood at attention while the name of his son and all the fallen heroes was read.  He felt pride that his son had chosen to willingly make the ultimate sacrifice for the great country adopted long ago by his grandfather.  Jack Andrews discarded his prepared remarks and talked directly to the young people in the small crowd.
“War is never a solution.  Go out and link arms with other young people around the world.  Understand your differences and seek strength from your similarities.  Make war a distant memory.” Father Donovan, realizing at last that all he had left was his faith, asked God to bless the souls of the departed soldiers.  Turning to the assembled families and other mourners, he says simply, “Grieve not, rather find, strength in that which remains behind.”

© 2019 Phil Hubbard


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

And I hear the solemn, sweet singing, "When will they ever learn? When will they e-v-e-r learn?" I think we both know the sad answer to that. Now at 71, I've accepted what happened, though the pain is still felt in my heart. They didn't sink the aircraft carrier I was on, so I made it back. Three of my buddy's who'd joined the Army didn't. Their names are among the 58,000 commemorated in stone, iron, and concrete.
This is a wonderful piece you've written. Not sweet like a love story, but honest, real, and meaningful.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Phil Hubbard

4 Years Ago

Samuel, thanks for taking the time to review my story. Because of your review, I've discovered your .. read more



Reviews

And I hear the solemn, sweet singing, "When will they ever learn? When will they e-v-e-r learn?" I think we both know the sad answer to that. Now at 71, I've accepted what happened, though the pain is still felt in my heart. They didn't sink the aircraft carrier I was on, so I made it back. Three of my buddy's who'd joined the Army didn't. Their names are among the 58,000 commemorated in stone, iron, and concrete.
This is a wonderful piece you've written. Not sweet like a love story, but honest, real, and meaningful.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Phil Hubbard

4 Years Ago

Samuel, thanks for taking the time to review my story. Because of your review, I've discovered your .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

22 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 5, 2019
Last Updated on October 13, 2019
Tags: Memoir, Viet Nam, Family

Author

Phil Hubbard
Phil Hubbard

NY



About
I'm a retired college administrator and plan to write about both personal and professional experiences. See all my poems, short stories and novels at hubbard85.com. more..

Writing
The Dream The Dream

A Story by Phil Hubbard


Found Found

A Poem by Phil Hubbard