Making A Difference

Making A Difference

A Story by Phalguni Rao
"

A story about how the differently abled are treated in society at large.

"
Ritu had not seen a smiling face that was not beautiful. Her faith in Goodness and Hope was reinstated when the "School for the Differently Abled" was opened by Mr. Arvind Kumar that summer. The project was spearheaded by the same man, whose 21 year old son had the mind of a 6 year old.
It was a day to rejoice when Mr. Kumar and his wife Neela had a son after ten years of marriage. But it was short lived as little Rishi was diagnosed with a rare neural disease. It meant that though he would grow physically, his mental development would stop after a while and make him a special child. It was a rude shock to the new parents. They decided to send him to a playschool nearby till 6 years of age after which Rishi started displaying signs of lack of psychological development. Meanwhile, Neela took it up in her stride and decided to study psychology. Her Masters degree was instrumental in establishing the institution. The idea sprouted in her mind a year ago and with the help of her husband's resources, she set out to create a life for people who are handicapped, physically and mentally.
The Indian society, in general, is stereotypical. We have a narrow perception about certain things in life including the attitude towards people who are mentally challenged. Some people shun a mentally challenged person and feel that the only way to bring them to their "senses" is by punishing them, locking them up in their rooms for days without food or water. Rural India paints an even worse picture where villagers believe the presence of an evil spirit in such a person's body. Mental deficiency needs to be handled with a more humane approach. Love, compassion and kindness can heal any sort of wounds. Children with such handicaps must be treated normally with a lot of patience and tolerance. Their self esteem needs to be boosted before trying to change any other aspect of their personality. And this is exactly what the 'School for the Differently Abled' envisioned to do.
The school started out in a small room with 5 children. Within a span of two years, it houses nearly %0 children, homeless and otherwise, in a small independent house. Rishi happens to be in-charge of serving lunch to other children and takes care of the younger lot when his mother is away. The children are taught simple vocations like basket weaving etc. They have an annual fair displaying greeting cards, pencil holders and other things made by children, followed by a performance by them. Parents are left teary-eyed, brimming with pride when they look back on how far they have come.
Ritu felt proud to be a part of this organisation. The residents nearby volunteered every sunday to take charge of the school for a day every week. The services rendered, the innocent smiles and laughs received and the happiness and contentment one feels, makes a sea of difference in one's life. 

© 2013 Phalguni Rao


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a wonderful piece and beautifully written. And I definitely agree on how the mentally challenged should be cared for :) Well done!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Phalguni Rao

10 Years Ago

thank you :)
THis is a wonderful story. THings used to be much harder for the developmentally challengd adults here in the U.S.; now we have special centers for them. I worked for one, and I know what a difference it can make.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Phalguni Rao

10 Years Ago

I second you. There's is an entirely different world and I think they have a wonderfully different w.. read more
Marie

10 Years Ago

Where I worked they were happy and taught me much about happiness.
You've made a good point there!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Phalguni Rao

10 Years Ago

haha thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 28, 2013
Last Updated on July 28, 2013

Author

Phalguni Rao
Phalguni Rao

Bangalore, India



About
Dreamer. Wanderer. Hopeful. Don't know what else to say. more..

Writing