Communication Is Key

Communication Is Key

A Story by Melanie Nicole
"

This is another ramble. It is rather recent rant, written December 16, 2009. This was written rather late at night when I was frustrated with the vast amount of miscommunications in my life.

"
This ramble shall be about communication. That is a rather good subject seeing as a lack of it seems to cause so many tears. It is primariy what is on my mind. Take Glee, for example. Will's wife believed that she was pregnant, and she and Will were going to have a baby. Upon visiting the doctor, she found out that it was a false pregnancy. She did not tell Will. How could that ever turn out well? It did not. She faked a pregnancy until Will found out. He left her. Turn out well for her? I think not. The primary conflict is listening to rumors and hiding our actual feelings. Why do we insist on causing ourselves this pain? Watch movies. What is the conflict? Hidden meaning and miscommunication. In How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, Andy doesn't tell Ben why she is acting crazy and he doesn't tell her the only reason they are together is because of a business bet. They fall in love with each other but after they find out what they have done, LIED to each other, they are unhappy. They are reconciled when they finally do share their true feelings. Books? Pride and Prejudice is a perfect example. Look at how Mr. Darcy's pride and Elizabeth's prejudice of Mr. Darcy made them miserable for so long. When Mr. Darcy breaks up Jane and Mr. Bingley, rather than asking him about it herself, Elizabeth forms her own theory based on impressions, rumors, and bad assumptions. Though she loved him,all thoughts if him in her life are eliminated by these assumptions she made about Mr. Darcy's intentions. She denies Mr. Darcy's marriage proposal though they are actually crazy about each other the entire time. If they had openly told each other what was going on they would have been happy together. Minus the miserable, you see? Yay! Except no. No, we are only human and it is in our nature to play games. You are not going to tell that person that you have liked them for months because you want to protect yourself. You aren't going to tell your boyfriend that baby is not his. You're afraid he will leave you.  You know how much happier we would all be if we actually talked to each other? I partially blame today's technology. Texting and IMing make it so much easier to be bold or lie. Would you insult me to my face? No, but you can call me terrible things over chat. You can be more flirty or admit to uncomfortable things over the Internet or via texting. If your ex IMs you to ask how you are, it's easy to tell them you are perfectly fine and you have a new love interest even if you are crying really, really hard. And the ex assumes. Assumes you have moved on. ASSUMES. You see the significance of this word? It's ridiculous. Stop assuming and just ask. "Hey, do you like me? We could hang out." What's the worst that could happen? They say "no" and you get up, dust yourself off and move on. And if you don't tell them? You sit there waiting helplessly for a very, very long time. Despeately hoping that the other person will make up their mind. ONE OF YOU MAKE A MOVE. It gets extremely tiresome. Knowing you care about them for all that time. Your friends get sick of hearing you complain about how he might not like you. Shut up and ask him/her! I know your friends will still talk to you about it because they care about you, but really. Things get old. Plus, What if you sit there in limbo for two years, both liking each other but being to afraid? You've lost two years together. Or one of you moves on and forgets. Remember in The Notebook how Noah wrote Allie every day for a year? And she never got them? She never would hae even almost gotten married to another man. They would have completely avoided that bump in the road and Allie's pain at having to choose and breaking someone's heart could have been completely avoided. They could have just lived happily ever after. Sure, that's not all that much of a story, but isn't that what we are all complaining about? Almost daily I see Facebook status updates about ridiculous drama and idiotic high school people. Right. So try and fix it. Gandhi said "be the change you wish to see in the world." These are wise words. Next time a friend does something annoying or hurtful, do not tell ANYONE. Go straight to your friend and tell them exactly what is wrong. It will work out SO much better for you, I promise. It is most definetly worth a shot. If it's easier over IM or via Text Messaging, feel free, by all means. I am not saying you can not get advice on the subject, but do not tell every person you see what the problem is, and do not make it into a big dramatic deal. Stop gosssiping about every person you know with everyone you meet. I myself am guilty of this more often than I would like to admit, but starting to try and make a difference and better yourself will truly make life much less drama free and more relaxing.

© 2010 Melanie Nicole


Author's Note

Melanie Nicole
It's just a rant. It's not in any kind of special format and it's not technically correct in many ways.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

228 Views
Added on January 22, 2010
Last Updated on January 22, 2010

Author

Melanie Nicole
Melanie Nicole

Sylva, NC



About
Activities: Reading, Writing, drawing, singing loudly and off-key, being a smart-aleck and dreaming Interests: I am interested in Hitler, but that does not mean that I want to be him Music: P.. more..

Writing