The 'Lehenga'

The 'Lehenga'

A Story by pia
"

a Lehenga is a skirt worn by women in the subcontinent on wedding occasions. Its made of heavy materials and hence here it represents hardships and problems hindering my abilities and desires

"

  My only concern at that exact moment was my ‘Lehenga’ … that it is too heavy to hold onto and too long to walk in. How was I supposed to perform in something I could barely move around in? There was a huge probability of me tripping, a predicament I wasn’t looking forward to.   

   However, despite my wardrobe complication, I made my way to the wooden stage, a stage that stretched from one end to another, beautifully adorned with flowers and ornaments. At the top, spotlights of all colours lit the stage, along with everyone’s face, as they watched me enter.

   With a pounding heart and nervous breath, I stared into a vast crowd of unfamiliar faces. All of them watched me standing alone, expecting magic and wonders, and that’s exactly what I wanted to give them.  

   I was an artist, and this stage was my canvas. With the liberty of free space and all the tools and paints, I was ready to show the crowd what I was capable of. But, most importantly, show myself what I could do.

  With the beat of the music, I felt myself gracefully swaying across the stage. My mind had now lost all control to my body. It was my heart that was syncing itself to the rhythms and beats. My expressions locked with the words of music and the rush of adrenaline in my blood, and I danced my heart out.

   I was no longer perturbed about the weight of my ‘lenhenga’. It had a motive of its own now; to add beauty to classical dancing, by swirling around like an animated ‘Mandala’.

   I could hear the vibrant crowd cheer me on … an art I created and they approved. They welcomed it with beaming smiles and contented applause. With my confidence in the clouds, and the encouragement from those around me, I continued to move with the blissful music.

   It was the first time I ever attempted classical Indian dancing, the first time I ever stepped out of my comfort zone to explore the virtuosities concealed behind my doors.  

  The best part about trying something new is realizing the fact that you have the ability to attempt it, regardless of weights and problems holding you back.

   Along with that, the best part is when others realize you’re capable of something, you feel appreciated, valued, and for once in your lifetime, free of severe self"doubt, and you feel accomplished. That’s how I felt, and at that very moment, my long lost love for dancing was reborn.

  By the time I was finished, all eyes were on me as I stood at the center of my stage. I could call the stage mine now. I had conquered it and left on it a memory that would be unforgotten; a reminder to my future self that I was capable of unlocking artistry dwelling within me … abilities ready to just burst out and make an impression on this colorless world … skills just waiting for recognition and appreciation.

  And, after I was finished, the weight of my ‘Lehenga’ concerned me no more.

© 2017 pia


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Most excellent comparison: "No more was I perturbed about the weight of my ‘lenhenga’. It had a motive of its own now; to add beauty to classical dancing by swirling around like an animated ‘Mandalas’ . . . You've done an amazing job of tying together the ideas of burdensome attire & the lightness of dancing. I was swept away by your descriptions of how it feels to dance. I've never been much of a dancer, so it was awesome to have your words put me into a stretch of knowing the dancer's feelings. There's also a childlike quality to the experience, as it's not described in a sophisticated way, but rather as the simple, gut-level excitement of a child.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is brilliant! Your language is very natural yet precise, your descriptions of scene are crystal clear, the woman you are flies from the screen and what's more I feel your excitement and determination. Your last words are magical, inspiring.

I know absolutely nothing about any of the above, but am truly thrilled to have been introduced to it all by such a fine writer. Thank you..

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

Thank you for such a wonderful review Emma
emmajoy

6 Years Ago

My absolute pleasure.
The best part about trying something new is realizing the fact that you have the ability to attempt it, regardless of weights and problems holding you back.
Yes. The task may seem impossible but there's always a key to a lock. :)

Very Well written.

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

You are right !!!
Great analysis thankss
Ghania

6 Years Ago

You're Welcome. :)
Pia,
"The 'Lehana'
The weight of discouragement; of doubt. The garment was a fitting symbol to our own reasons for not living.
"It was the first time I ever attempted classical Indian dancing, the first time i ever stepped out of my comfort zone to explore the virtuosities concealed behind my doors."
Your narrative inspired my heart very much!
Blessings,
Kathy

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much !!!!
Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

Quite a story and quite a message and you are very welcome.
I had a lehanga which is too heavey and it makes us too beautyfull. its so nice when u narrate lehanga.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Ahh, lehengas, of course! Heavy? No doubt. Held you back from dancing? They would have for sure. Lehengas giving out inspirational vibes? Never thought of it before...but, here you are! Wow...this is amazing. If one wants inspiration or motivation of any kind, I'd suggest they read your works.

"Along with that, the best part is when others realize you’re capable of something, you feel appreciated, valued, and for once in your lifetime, free of severe self"doubt, and you feel accomplished." - Awesome lines!

Loved it! Keep inspiring.

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

Zoe I'm so glad you appreciated this
Thank you for the review !!
Zoya

6 Years Ago

My pleasure!
A beautiful story with a serious message about overcoming self-doubt and trying something never before attempted. Well written in a flowing first person narrative style.

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

I'm glad you enjoyed it !!
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
It’s great little story, Pia, filled with imagery, texture, color, deep thought, and relatable emotion … one that captured me beautifully and completely, highlighting your true writing potential.
I thank you humbly and warmly for sharing it with me and all your other new fans.
A coupe’a hints to consider:
Keep mindful of excessive and unnecessary adjectives, pronouns, and adverbs, repeat of words in close proximity with each other, study-up on punctuation, too,and consider eliminating spaces between paragraphs when there are indents.
If you have any questions or would like to comment on or debate any of my suggestions, be sure to give my shoulder a tap.


I truly and sincerely love this captivating story of overcoming stage-fright and lack of confidence … what a great lesson for us all!
Happy hugs, Pia! ⁓ Richard : )


Posted 6 Years Ago


Ahhhhh my sweet Pia! I love this!! If I were you I would have been a nervous wreck thinking about a wardrobe malfunction! I studied ballet for 13 years and I know exactly what you mean in this piece. You bring the hearts and minds of dancers alive here. Well done my friend! :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

Thankssss kathryn
Love your review !!
I enjoyed the story dear Pia. You took the reader with you into a situation and you made them feel and understand the journey. I did like the ending. You did well. Thank you Pia for sharing the amazing story.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

I really appreciate your enthusiasm for my work!!! It really makes my day!!
Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

I'm glad. You are a talented writer. Please send read requests.
pia

6 Years Ago

Ill be grateful for your constructive advice to improve
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Vic
This piece is wonderfully written. You do a great job of putting the reader behind the eyes of the main character, as always. It's very powerful, they way you take something that holds you back at the beginning, and own it, forcing your hindrance to become your tool of expression and beauty.

Posted 6 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1497 Views
31 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on May 2, 2017
Last Updated on June 2, 2017

Author

pia
pia

Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan



Writing
chapter 1 chapter 1

A Chapter by pia


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by pia



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..