Windows In Her World

Windows In Her World

A Story by pia

      She sat alone in her little room, locked away from the rest of the world, in a tiny jhonpri . The grilled window was the only vessel that made her feel a part of something, other than the grey walls, the broken bed and the dimmed light bulb. Beyond that window, there was a world which gave her occasional moments of bliss; the sound of laughter from the village children roistering in the murky river water, the smell of parathas and samosas dancing along with the winds, and the yearly village fairs, which brought everyone together. She sat next to the window, in the darkness, and watched this world move on.


   The woman was once a part of all this. Her life beyond those grills was much bigger. She had one thing she now wished she could feel again; hope. In her youthful days, she would splash herself in the river water, enjoy the warmth of the fire and smell of local kebabs. She had friends and a family to feel safe with. That life came crashing down on her, the day she turned sixteen. According to the villagers, she was old enough to be married. But to her, she was old enough to be the woman she desired. She heard of the wonders and achievements of women outside her little village. The woman wanted more than just a small village life. But, here she was, sitting in an isolated  jhonpri, away from the rest. No one spoke to her. The children were told that she was a witch and her jhonpri was a place of witch craft.  No one dared to come near her. They were told she was cursed with the values of the west and consumed by the breath of the devil.


   It was a crime for a woman to be herself in this village. The villagers saw it as a taboo. The women of the village were satisfied with their mundane lives. They were always told what society expected from them. They were raised to fit in the shapes made by that cruel society. But some were born to follow the path leading them away from the ‘norm’. This girl was different. And that was her crime. She saw windows at every point in her life; windows to escape from and find shapes she made for herself. And even after years, and even after the tragedy, she remained different.



   While she watched the children laugh and play, she placed her hand on her face. The burns didn’t hurt anymore, but the emptiness left inside her did. Her left eye’s vision was blurred, but she had learned to make use of her imagination. She had broken all mirrors. The mirrors were a constant reminder of the monsters God left unleashed in this world. She never saw herself as the monster, despite what others called her when they saw her face. The real monster was the man who entered her room late in the night. This monster was the man who had entered her life eighteen years ago with a bucket of acid. The monster was her husband, and this monster had sealed all the windows to her rejuvenation. 

© 2017 pia


Author's Note

pia
acid attacks are a very prominent issue prevailing in the subcontinent. many young girls and also women are subject to abuse and acid attacks from former husbands or men who fancy their hands in marriage. These women have only one crime. to speak up for themselves. And thats their tragedy. they shunned away or harmed for knowing their rights. I too am sometimes looked down on for being a woman stead fast on my beliefs. if not treated this severely, this issue is something everyone should be aware of.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

OMG Pia, please be careful if you are living in this type of situation. Your eloquent, beautifully written, violent, shocking and sad story left me reeling. I know it is a reality for many women. Your words are gentle and lyrical- even your description of the torture that occurred. She is shunned, burned with acid and living in prison, yet she makes the best and carries on. Amazing and inspiring work. Brava!

Posted 6 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

pia

6 Years Ago

I'm not exactly living in this traumatising part of society, however even in PAKISTAN'S modern socie.. read more
Annette Pisano-Higley

6 Years Ago

I applaud you for the difference you are making in rhe world. God bless.
Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)

6 Years Ago

Yes I agree
I applaud and commend you be careful x
Very tragic what is happening



Reviews

I have been aware of a few cases of acid attacks which made international headlines (but not from your part of the world) . . . and I had no idea this was something secret & prevalent in some parts of the world. Your piece is eye-opening in the way you present the contrast of what a woman may want in life, as compared to this particular woman's punishment for wanting it. This is very tragic & you've conveyed the power of the tragedy with great intensity. I think it's very important to use our writing to inform as you've done here. Keep up the great work! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

pia

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much!!
I do my best to use this platform as mean to convey knowledge and incide.. read more
Hey this is truly amazing! They may bind her physically but no one can stop her mind from wandering far and wide.
It's really hard to come across such sort of writings.
It has spurred the feminist in me.
Keep writing!

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

I'm so glad you got inspired !! Thank you so much
reminds me of Hochschild's marvellous book https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/may/08/all-wars-adam-hochschild-review


Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

I will definitely give this a read
SkinlessFrank

6 Years Ago

sorry....i had meant to place this comment in your piece about WW1 and Nazism,
pia

6 Years Ago

Oh it's alright
I figured that out the moment I opened the link
This story is grim reality of today's scenario. You have perfectly managed to express the seriousness of that issue. You voiced the silenced, oppressed girl. I really liked this and feel that it needs to get published where this article/story can make a change. Please consider it.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Najam Us Saher

6 Years Ago

Try to get it published in a newspaper.
pia

6 Years Ago

i shall do my best
thank you so much !!
Najam Us Saher

6 Years Ago

You're welcome.
And this kind of story is what I like to read. A realistic view of what was happening in the smallest part of the earth still. Most people say it is already over. (Most men to be exact). That fighting for feminism is such a history. Well, not on some side where awareness of the people are still on the hide and negative values as well as murderous cultures are on the move.

Sincerely,
CAPOLAVORO


Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

thank you so much !!
This is a very well written story. I love reading stories that serve to enlighten people on what other people are going through. It is very sad that things like this happen anywhere in the world. I am a very introverted person, but my heart hurts when i read and hear about such things happening. Thank you for writing this.

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

im so glad you liked this
Gosh, this story went straight to my heart, and nearly made me weep. How terrible be to locked away, considered a witch, and having to be there for that cruel husband. Just because she saw through the 'lies' and was considered 'different', and wanted to part of a wider life. Well done for writing this story. I think it will help to make people aware of this issue.

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

I'm glad you liked this and felt the woman's pain
thank you so much
Great Aunt Astri

6 Years Ago

You have written about acid attacks, which are happening in several parts of the world. Thank goodne.. read more
So beautifully you have written it, Pia.And it's a really serious issue to be worked on. This story is very well written.

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

thankss !!!
Priyanshi

6 Years Ago

My pleasure.
Yes a moving piece and your writing is good to. I wonder howver if you would drag the reader in even more if you wrote it from a first person perspective. t's such an emotional story, I believe it should be told through the vision of this womans own eyes, so she can own it so to speak, she was the one who lived it.

I feel you could tighten up a few paragraphs so it doesn't feel too repetitive - push the story forward so to speak.

I was also a little distracted by how many times you used the word she, I wonder if you would consider going back and revisiting just how you may be able to reword certain phrases to fix this (although if it was first person that could be rectified quite easily)

I think your writing has depth and emotion and I felt her pain. I liked the use of setting where you mention samosa and paratha, but to be honest I immediately thought she was living in India, perhaps you could set the scene in the first two lines as I also didn't catch on that she was in a small village until you mentioned it.

If you do consider writing in first person - send me a message, I'd love to see how it changes your piece.

You are a good writer - keep going X

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

thanks for leaving such a constructive review
i will approach you if i need any advice on wr.. read more
KWP

6 Years Ago

You are welcome I hope it helps in some small way - we will never improve unless people give us hone.. read more
pia

6 Years Ago

it does
i'm really glad and grateful you took your time out to help :)
Your writing is absolutely stunning. Truly well written. You were able to bring such an important concept into light. A story, a purely fascinating character, the distinctive setting- incredibly captivating. Beautiful job!

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

your review is well appreciated !!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2646 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on August 31, 2017
Last Updated on September 2, 2017

Author

pia
pia

Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan



Writing
chapter 1 chapter 1

A Chapter by pia


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by pia



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Preacher Man The Preacher Man

A Poem by Gee