Windows In Her World

Windows In Her World

A Story by pia

      She sat alone in her little room, locked away from the rest of the world, in a tiny jhonpri . The grilled window was the only vessel that made her feel a part of something, other than the grey walls, the broken bed and the dimmed light bulb. Beyond that window, there was a world which gave her occasional moments of bliss; the sound of laughter from the village children roistering in the murky river water, the smell of parathas and samosas dancing along with the winds, and the yearly village fairs, which brought everyone together. She sat next to the window, in the darkness, and watched this world move on.


   The woman was once a part of all this. Her life beyond those grills was much bigger. She had one thing she now wished she could feel again; hope. In her youthful days, she would splash herself in the river water, enjoy the warmth of the fire and smell of local kebabs. She had friends and a family to feel safe with. That life came crashing down on her, the day she turned sixteen. According to the villagers, she was old enough to be married. But to her, she was old enough to be the woman she desired. She heard of the wonders and achievements of women outside her little village. The woman wanted more than just a small village life. But, here she was, sitting in an isolated  jhonpri, away from the rest. No one spoke to her. The children were told that she was a witch and her jhonpri was a place of witch craft.  No one dared to come near her. They were told she was cursed with the values of the west and consumed by the breath of the devil.


   It was a crime for a woman to be herself in this village. The villagers saw it as a taboo. The women of the village were satisfied with their mundane lives. They were always told what society expected from them. They were raised to fit in the shapes made by that cruel society. But some were born to follow the path leading them away from the ‘norm’. This girl was different. And that was her crime. She saw windows at every point in her life; windows to escape from and find shapes she made for herself. And even after years, and even after the tragedy, she remained different.



   While she watched the children laugh and play, she placed her hand on her face. The burns didn’t hurt anymore, but the emptiness left inside her did. Her left eye’s vision was blurred, but she had learned to make use of her imagination. She had broken all mirrors. The mirrors were a constant reminder of the monsters God left unleashed in this world. She never saw herself as the monster, despite what others called her when they saw her face. The real monster was the man who entered her room late in the night. This monster was the man who had entered her life eighteen years ago with a bucket of acid. The monster was her husband, and this monster had sealed all the windows to her rejuvenation. 

© 2017 pia


Author's Note

pia
acid attacks are a very prominent issue prevailing in the subcontinent. many young girls and also women are subject to abuse and acid attacks from former husbands or men who fancy their hands in marriage. These women have only one crime. to speak up for themselves. And thats their tragedy. they shunned away or harmed for knowing their rights. I too am sometimes looked down on for being a woman stead fast on my beliefs. if not treated this severely, this issue is something everyone should be aware of.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

OMG Pia, please be careful if you are living in this type of situation. Your eloquent, beautifully written, violent, shocking and sad story left me reeling. I know it is a reality for many women. Your words are gentle and lyrical- even your description of the torture that occurred. She is shunned, burned with acid and living in prison, yet she makes the best and carries on. Amazing and inspiring work. Brava!

Posted 6 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

pia

6 Years Ago

I'm not exactly living in this traumatising part of society, however even in PAKISTAN'S modern socie.. read more
Annette Pisano-Higley

6 Years Ago

I applaud you for the difference you are making in rhe world. God bless.
Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)

6 Years Ago

Yes I agree
I applaud and commend you be careful x
Very tragic what is happening



Reviews

"They were told she was cursed with the values of the WEST and consumed by the breath of the devil." This sums is up.

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

Thankss !!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Very poignant and relevant, Pia.....

It is sad to see such medieval customs still active in modern day society, even though there has been small progress towards equality for women and the freedom for them to pursue the life they choose.

You have written a very soul stirring story in an eloquent way to highlight the dangers still present in some societies. Such violence and degradation of women, forceful marriage against their will and revenge attacks for those who resist the practices are deplorable and must be stopped. Stories like you have written here are just the foundation stone for changing such attitudes and bringing about change for the better. Nicely done.

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

we have oscar winners like Sharmeen Obaid who have spoken about such issues and after her fight agai.. read more
In this tragic tale you have painted the picture of the untold suffering of some women at the hands of a society controlled by men. Men afraid of change, men who need women to be subjugated and cowed and grateful to them. Men who live in the dark ages with dark age values. The story is packed full of pathos in the scene you describe and in her thoughts. An enjoyable if sad read.

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

Thank you for your review !!
A very sad tale you had wrote. I know the practice of acid is used in some country. Even the USA. I will not understand how people can harm a woman. They are our grandmothers, mother, sister and daughters.Thank you Pia for sharing the powerful story.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

You are right !!
Thanks for the review
Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

You are welcome Pia.
Critique: (achievements of woman outside her) women

Review: Bravo! A very moving story on an important and cruel topic. The actions of any one who looks to mark, hurt, harm or do damage to another in this fashion shows their lack of faith in any religious belief's. Revenge is a sin and the actions of a small minded and self-righteous zealots who think themselves above all others. Sorry for getting all preachy, every time I read about someone mutilated in this fashion it physically and mentally effects me. I hope everyone on Writers Cafe takes the time to read this and are as moved as I am. Five claps don't seem to be enough for how much your story touched me so I am giving it seven out of my standard five Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap!

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

Your review has made my day. Thank so much !! Those who are victims of such terrorism or oppression,.. read more
And of course the fear of such devastating attacks has spread the globe now - even a man who threw water at a carnival in London was arrested because someone suspected it was acid.
Very apt piece Pia.

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

I read about the attack that happened in London
Very tragic
Thanks for the review !!
pia

6 Years Ago

Not exactly an attack but a prank to be precise
Tony Jordan

6 Years Ago

Yes - in very bad taste - there are some insensitive idiots around.
welcome
OMG Pia, please be careful if you are living in this type of situation. Your eloquent, beautifully written, violent, shocking and sad story left me reeling. I know it is a reality for many women. Your words are gentle and lyrical- even your description of the torture that occurred. She is shunned, burned with acid and living in prison, yet she makes the best and carries on. Amazing and inspiring work. Brava!

Posted 6 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

pia

6 Years Ago

I'm not exactly living in this traumatising part of society, however even in PAKISTAN'S modern socie.. read more
Annette Pisano-Higley

6 Years Ago

I applaud you for the difference you are making in rhe world. God bless.
Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)

6 Years Ago

Yes I agree
I applaud and commend you be careful x
Very tragic what is happening
THIS WAS POWERFUL .... Like WOW>.. I loved the use of words and language and it really feels like it came from the heart, and no writing can be as powerful as the ones that do. 100/100

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

thank you so much !!!
Very relatable. Acid attacks keep happening every now and then. This really won't stop unless strict action is taken.
How sad it is...women being deprived of their freedom...just because of the existing norms and prejudices in the society. People tend to forget that women are also humans...*sighs*
Nonetheless...I loved the piece! Your work is truly motivational. Love the vibes...always. Keep inspiring!

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

so true !!
thanks for the review
Zoya

6 Years Ago

No problem

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2645 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on August 31, 2017
Last Updated on September 2, 2017

Author

pia
pia

Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan



Writing
chapter 1 chapter 1

A Chapter by pia


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by pia



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Preacher Man The Preacher Man

A Poem by Gee