The Ethical Practice of Cultural Relativism: Private Military Companies in Foreign Lands

The Ethical Practice of Cultural Relativism: Private Military Companies in Foreign Lands

A Story by Robert Erickson
"

Essay written for Criminal justice ethics class

"


The Ethical Practice of Cultural Relativism: Private Military Companies in Foreign Lands




Introduction: Cultural Relativism and Private Military Companies


      Cultural Relativism is a well known term that has been around for many years. It is defined by the text book “Ethical Dilemmas and Decisions in Criminal Justice” by Jocelyn Pollack as, “The idea that values and behaviors differ from culture to culture and are functional in the culture that holds them” (Pollack, 2010). Different cultures in different parts of the world have their own respected viewpoints and decorum. They should be understood with ideas of equality in mind. Ever since it was proven that no race of peoples is superior to another, the ethnocentric idea that one culture is superior to another has been disregarded as well.


     In our modern world, we are faced with difficult decisions pertaining to cultural relativity. Recently, during the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, the United States has begun employing private military companies to aid in reconstruction efforts abroad. They are hired to supplement American security forces at locations such as embassies. They are also employed to protect reconstruction contractors that are overseas doing such humanitarian things as rebuilding schools and rebuilding important structures that were casualties of “The War on Terror”.


      It is this writer’s belief that these private security companies need to practice cultural relativism on location in foreign lands, specifically Iraq and Afghanistan. Assuming that the primary role of the United States in foreign worlds is to promote peace; applying cultural relativism on a day to day basis is an integral part of creating a situation involving mutual respect between the citizens and the private military companies. It is ethical for them to respect the values inherent in these countries. When overseas, private military companies are representing our country as well as the United States military. It stands to reason that any disregard for customs in a foreign land would undermine efforts involving mutual respect and peacetime promotion.


      There have been many ethical violations by private military companies in foreign lands. Situations exist where these mercenaries have failed to respect the values of the culture they were hired to police. These violations have led to negative press and have undermined the respect due to all United States military professionals, the United States, and private military companies. This writer will explore the violations that have taken place in Iraq and Afghanistan respectively.


Blackwater: Ethical Violations of Cultural Relativity in Iraq


On January 9th, 2010, Interior Minister Jawad al-Bolani informed the state television network al-Iraqiya that all previous employees of the private military company Blackwater were to evacuate Iraq immediately. “’I don't think the Iraqi government is willing to have any Blackwater member, even if they are working in other companies, We don't like to see them here working in any company.” (CNN, 2010) This action taken by the Iraqi government was a long time coming.

Blackwater has been held responsible by the Iraqi government for some pretty serious events. On February 12th, 2010, CNN released the story “Suit: Prostitute, strippers part of Blackwater fraud”, where two former Blackwater employees claim that the company hired a prostitute and strippers then charged it to the government. One of the men, a record keeper, Melan Davis claimed that, “Blackwater billed the government for prostitution services in Afghanistan from a Filipino female, whose name was on Blackwater’s payroll roster under a category called ‘Morale Welfare recreation.” (CNN, 2010)

Islamic culture does not support prostitution; there are some situations where temporary marriages may exist. These temporary marriages are frowned upon as well because they are considered a cover up for prostitution. In many Muslim cultures prostitutes are put to death, as in the Old Testament. Muslim cultures also absolutely forbid cheating and deception, such as lying to the government, billing them for “professional” services. The combination of these practices along with repeated instances of seemingly unprovoked attacks by Blackwater security forces on Iraqi “civilians” led to them being kicked out of the country. Blackwater was well known for shooting first, asking questions later. (CNN, 2007)


ArmorGroup: Ethical Violations of Cultural Relativity in Afghanistan


Blackwater was not the only group to have controversial dealings with prostitutes in a primarily Muslim country. It was reported by USA Today September 2nd, 2009, that the private military company ArmorGroup at the Afghanistan embassy was responsible for, “‘Lord of the Flies’ conditions that include threats and intimidation and scenes of guards and supervisors in various stages of nudity at parties flowing with alcohol.” (USA Today, 2009)

Supervisors were responsible for bringing prostitutes into the guard’s quarters. ArmorGroup personnel were also responsible for enticing Afghani Muslims into drinking alcoholic beverages. Drinking alcohol is forbidden by Islam. Intoxication is thought to make one forgetful of God and prayer.

Violating this aspect of their religion and culture is grossly irresponsible. If American’s are in Afghanistan, we should be respectful of their way of life if there is to be any hope for peace between our cultures. “The situation has led to a breakdown in morale and leadership that compromises security at the embassy” (USA Today, 2009)

Photos were released; pictures were taken of the raucous partying taking place by ArmorGroup security forces. “The State Department said the behavior shown in the photos was “disgusting” and launched several investigations and said it had removed some of the private guards from the country” (CNN, 2009) If our own state department finds these actions depicted in the photographs reprehensible, it stands to reason that the Afghan people find them even more lewd and disgusting, as they live with a very different set of values than our own.


Conclusion: Necessities for Over Seas Private Military Companies


      As an American, this writer is deeply offended that these private military companies are overseas. They are representing our society. They are representing our military. They are representing our entire nation. It disgusts this writer that these individuals are there, hiring prostitutes on our dollars, drinking alcohol out in the open, and even influencing Muslim men to drink when it is forbidden by Islam.

In our American society, we have certain values that we hold dear. We believe that everyone should be treated equally. We believe in respecting other’s way of lives. We believe in helping out our neighbor. These are all ideals that we strive for. It is ethical for us to practice activities that not only benefit ourselves but benefit others as well. It is disheartening to imagine a world without these practices.

      Muslim society is not so different in a lot of ways. We have more common ground than we realize. In order to live together in peace, we must learn to accept our differences and embrace our commonalities. If one was to have a guest at one’s house, and he was disrespectful of the rules of the house, that guest would not be invited back. It is the same with our private military companies providing security in Iraq and Afghanistan.

      It is however much worse than that. Imagine if that same guest who was rude at one’s house had a large extended family. One might be given to assume that the individual’s family members were also rude. If one was never able to meet said family members in person, the impression could remain indefinitely.

      It is unfortunate but this is the case with United States involvement in foreign lands, our private military companies are representing the United States Government, the United States Military, and the United States Citizenship. Islamic fundamentalists can use these negative actions portrayed by Blackwater and ArmorGroup as a means to an end. It is not unthinkable that Al Quada would seek to paint a very bleak picture of the United States as a whole as a result of reprehensible actions taken by private military companies.

      In order to effectively provide security in these foreign nations without damaging our image, provoking hostility, and damaging peacetime cooperation; the United States must compel private military companies to act appropriately. Their actions must be in accord with the cultural societal standards of the host country. Knowledge of the world they are policing should be a primary goal.

Bibliography

CNN. (2009, September 5). 14 from U.S. Embassy security staff in Afghanistan fired. Retrieved May 5, 2010, from cnn.com: http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/09/04/afghanistan.contractors/index.html?iref=allsearch


CNN. (2007, October 2). Blackwater most often shoots first, congressional report says. Retrieved May 5, 2010, from cnn.com: http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/10/01/blackwater.report/index.html?iref=storysearch


CNN. (2010, Febuary 10). Iraq orders ex-Blackwater contractors out. Retrieved May 5, 2010, from cnn.com: http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/02/10/blackwater.iraq/index.html?iref=allsearch


CNN. (2010, Febuary 12). Suit: Prostitute, strippers part of Blackwater fraud. Retrieved May 5, 2010, from www.cnn.com: http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/12/blackwater.suit/index.html?iref=storysearch


CNN. (2009, September 11). Whistleblower sues Afghanistan security contractor. Retrieved May 5, 2010, from cnn.com: http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/09/10/afghanistan.embassy.whistleblower/index.html?iref=allsearch


USA Today. (2009, September 2). Sexual misconduct at embassy in Afghanistan alleged. Retrieved May 5, 2010, from usatoday.com: http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-09-02-afghanistan-embassy_N.htm


Pollack, J. (2010). Ethical Dilemmas and Decisions in Criminal Justice.


© 2013 Robert Erickson


Author's Note

Robert Erickson
Apologize for any strange formatting, copy and pasted from microsoft werd.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

279 Views
Added on August 11, 2010
Last Updated on October 15, 2013

Author

Robert Erickson
Robert Erickson

Near Monterey, CA



About
Undiscovered poet. I know entirely too much about computers... I like to read and watch documentaries and learn stuff and I'm a programmer. more..

Writing