underwater

underwater

A Story by Kelly
"

I wrote this on the 28th of October, 2010 about one of my many recurring dreams. I was a sophomore in high school.

"

I walk on along the empty shoreline. My toes grow numb as the dark water ebbs and flows around my naked feet. The coolness of the breeze whips my back and lashes my cheeks with such force. No lights. Just the faint glimmer of stars beyond an imposing layer of fog. The steady crash of the tide rings in my ears. I lose track of time. I stand there, idle. My thoughts are screaming and fighting for my attention. My body is overpowered by sensation, and an uneasy feeling nestles itself in the pit of my chest. Frozen to the core, I'm unable to move. 

 

Inexplicably, I feel a strong urge to venture further into the sea. My eyes water from the sting of the cold wind. The waves are getting stronger, breaking with such force against the cliffs. My dress is soaked and is chilling me to the bone. As I step nearer to the water, I clutch the frail white hem between my fingers and lift it, to protect it from tearing against the jagged rocks.

 

Not even knee deep in the water, kelp tangles around my ankle. I lose balance and stumble into a sharp corner of a rock. I gasp out in shock, as the pain shoots all the way up my body. I help myself upright and examine my shin. Blood pours out onto the sand. My stomach can't handle the pain, but I have to move on. I have to go deeper. I fully submerge my legs and salt water gushes into my wound, but I can't let that stop me. I must go under. Waist-deep now, I'm comfortable with the cold and my leg is completely numb. I decide to go head first. I'm anxious to see what lies beneath my feet. I shut my eyes and sink further into the ocean.

 

The salt burns without mercy, but I am able to open my eyes. It's pitch dark, but my eyes somehow adjust and I can see a couple yards ahead of me. Still confused, I swim deeper and take in my surroundings. Black kelp and rainbow coral sparkle below me. Colors I've never seen before dance and swirl around me like currents. I take my time to soak it all in. I'm not breathing. I'm underwater. My lungs are not under pressure. I don't think twice and swim in circles with the colors. I feel free and light. I forget about the cold and the dark and the eerie feeling above me. I feel new.

(part one)

© 2014 Kelly


Author's Note

Kelly
The thumbnail image used is not mine.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1668 Views
Added on January 25, 2013
Last Updated on May 26, 2014
Tags: eerie, beach, dream, nightmare, under water, surreal

Author

Kelly
Kelly

CA



About
I write hooks and poetry. I am the product of the choices I've made, places I've been, and the people I've met. more..

Writing
dfghjk dfghjk

A Poem by Kelly


kiss kiss

A Poem by Kelly


Aokigahara Aokigahara

A Poem by Kelly