Them

Them

A Story by IntrovertedRebel
"

This piece I did based off of a recurring dream I always have of wolves running down a mountain side. Unfortunately for me, the imagery in the paper will never be able to clearly represent what I see.

"

It was a time before humans. A green mountain side covered in white was the whole of the earth. My body lay in the heavens, but the details of the world were a cinema to my eyes. Trees larger than redwoods were laden for miles. The sky was a crisp, ice blue with a hint of mint. And the terrain was a magic unthinkable by any artist. But the real magic was ‘them’.

From my cloud top view I saw all; 

How they ran down the mountain with the step of dancers in perfect sync, weaving through trees like spiders weaving a web, leaving their unmistakable prints in the white powder. How their thick furs varied from a tar pit black to a gunsmith metal to a deep red reminiscent of the tress they danced around. How the beating of the pack’s hearts was like a symphony; a symphony playing to the beat of Gaea. How there was a pant in their lungs; not a pant of growing tire, but of life and the ensuing hunt. How their marble eyes housed playfulness, yet their fangs yearned for fresh meat. How the devastating power in their stride kicked up little white fairies dancing at the nutcracker. And how their fiery breath in the winter air meant the doe had no hope. The beasts’ hunt was an art form unmatched by any human.

From my cloud top view I no longer wished for the flesh that surrounds me, I yearned to be one of them. I wished to feel the gales brush through my winter coat as it did theirs. I wished to step in the same tune as they did and feel my heart connected with the earth as they did. And as they caught their precious prey and howled their long, lustrous howl that sent chills up my spine and caused my skin to erupt in bumps, I wished to be down there with them. It was my dream to be a beautiful, four-legged predator living life as they did. 


But like every dream, you must wake up.


It was silent for a solid minute as the details of the pack drained my mind and the stunning terrain concaved into a pitch-black sigh and the howl of reality opened my eyes.

I dream myself down there with the wolves but I awake a human.

What a pity.

© 2015 IntrovertedRebel


Author's Note

IntrovertedRebel
Sorry for the gross usage of present versus past tense grammar, I really need to work on that. If there are any areas where you notice obvious discrepancies, feel free to let me know.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
Added on March 3, 2015
Last Updated on March 3, 2015
Tags: story, wolves, imagery, vivid, intense, dream

Author

IntrovertedRebel
IntrovertedRebel

Everett, WA



About
I am a very average looking kid with a very normal, average life but there's a whole 'nother world all trapped inside my head. This is where I will hopefully be able to create that world bit by bit. more..

Writing