The Door to my Heart

The Door to my Heart

A Story by Poetic Justice
"

lyrical take on my heart...

"

The Door To My Heart

 

I took you by the hand ‘come with me’ I said coyly ‘I have something to show you’

I gently moved the thorns and brambles that covered the entrance to my heart.  I wiped the cobwebs that had settled there and reached out for the handle.  As my hand touched it, you reached out and placed your hand over mine ‘Are you sure?’ your question was rhetorical.  I smiled and turned the rusty metal knob.  At that moment, there was a sound, like a thousand reckless hearts simultaneously sighing.  A cool breeze touched us, like a mother’s hand caressing a new born infant’s face; it entered our mouths, which caused us to catch our breaths.

 

I pushed hard, the door resisted me, I pushed harder still.  It moaned as if not wanting to open but knowing innately that it had no choice.    I could feel you behind me, your quickened breath, tantalizingly making the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, you were oblivious to this. Your thoughts were fixed on the door and the secrets it held.

 

As the door finally opened enough for us to squeeze through, I took your hand firmly in mine.  As we locked on to one another’s gaze, I giggled, nervously.  You smiled but the tension was etched into your face. 

 

We were now standing on the edge of my heart and as we both gazed out towards the wonders before us, our eyes filled with tears, before they could reach our cheeks, tiny butterflies with iridescent wings uncurled their tongues and drank them, like they were nectar. Tiny flecks of light danced around us and drew us into the carnival of emotions.  Every step taken was a step on another emotion which seeped into our bloodstream through the gaps in our toes.  This was a place I knew well, it was all of me and I felt safe.  The same could not be said for you, this was an experience which was obviously overwhelming, and every breath for you was like being shocked with a thousand volts.  My aura mingled into yours, saturating your core, blending into your consciousness.  I could now see it engulfing your very being.  I stopped and turned towards your face, cupping your cheeks in my hands ‘It’s ok, it’s just me’ I said reassuringly.  I turned and holding your hand tighter still, moved towards the centre. 

 

 

As we walked through the undergrowth dotted with diamond lit flowers, tiny droplets of what seemed like rain began to fall onto our faces, splashing off our skin into glittering specks, as if coming into contact with us had transformed them into something wondrous.  I turned my face up and laughed as every touch of rain was a touch of a lovers embrace.  You looked at my drenched face and laughed also, I knew that you understood me, knew me, felt me.

 

 

 As we stood drenched in my emotions laughing raucously, I suddenly felt a presence, something wasn’t right, something was here that was not meant to be here.  I looked around in slight panic, trying to hide it from you, but you had already felt it in me.

You looked into my eyes, searching for answers. I tried to speak but the words stuck in my throat.  ‘It’s me’ you said ‘I’m not meant to be here’.

 

 

Tears filled my eyes so my vision was blurred; I sobbed and crumpled to the moss covered floor.  I held you for as long as I could but knew you had to leave. It was the only way to save my heart.  The ground started to move, slowing at first, leaves trembled and petals fell. The movements beneath my feet became more violent and the urgency for you to leave was upon us.  I shouted ‘run!’ I tried to stand but I could not find my balance, my arms flailed wildly as I struggled to remain on my knees.  I watched as you leaped and jumped, running with every ounce of your being.  As you reached the door I saw you look back and smile.  I was no longer able to smile back but your eyes connected with mine.  As you closed the door behind you, my heart was still once again.  I looked around at my beautiful paradise and knew something was now missing. You.

 

 

© 2013 Poetic Justice


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Poetic Justice -- This is the first time I've seen any of your work and I've come to you through a circuitous route (reviewing others and seeing a couple of your reviews). If you check me out, you'll see that I generally write long (hopefully helpful), nit-picking and honest reviews. However, for you, and this piece, I cannot write a long or nit-picking review -- because as far as I can see, this piece is perfect. It is simply beautiful, lyrical, dazzling. I am standing, applauding, crying, yelling, "Bravo, Bravo, Bravo!"

Posted 8 Years Ago


How is it that the most volatile, emotive, violently sentient writer in the place can yet have only 2 reviews? Either the emotional underpinnings of the general populace of this place are south or frozen into the arctic cap of emotional tundra!

I hate your writing, because it speaks so convincingly to my heart that it instills a false sense of security, draws me in and lulls my confidences with the warmth of familiarities relief, then rips my heart out with slowly calculated precision! You so articulately convey the sentiments of lost love, and love's loss that my own experiences in life are appealed to with a convincingness that is unparalleled by most other writers, You are in an exclusive class of rarified talents...those whose believability is unquestionable...concrete.

How is it we can delve into our deepest recesses of love, cherish and devote, worship and revere, and yet are betrayed yet again by the perils of love...we compete in the games of life and love and suffer defeat, yet return again and again to the field...maybe we know that we must win and find compatibility, or perish in the process.

Your writing captures the emotion, the sentimentality, the aspirations and hopes of lovers worldwide. Your metaphorical depiction and romantic voice are so clear and loud and real they almost seem my own...and THAT is the essence of your art PJ, your "poetic voice" could as well be my own. It resonates on the wavelength of my inner sanctum, and speaks with a sanctity befitting. No other writer today can make my heart ache as you do...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Poetic Justice

10 Years Ago

My dearest friend. You are to kind! I only wish you were my publisher! This is a popularity site and.. read more
Rikkevi Rue

10 Years Ago

har har. Yea, no kidding. Well, that was my effusive complimentary mode which only comes out in rate.. read more
Poetic Justice

10 Years Ago

LOL cheeky!
Not only are you a fantastic poetess PJ... you are an extremely talented story teller..and this is an awe inspiring and engaging tale of love and sacrifice. Magical and mystical are your words as your story unfolds keeping the readers attention from start to finish. This is truly an enchantingly beautiful and passionate love story spoken from the heart...... Brilliant...

Loved this very muchly... :O)


Posted 10 Years Ago


This is a profound piece of a love story that ends as it begins.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Poetic Justice

10 Years Ago

thank you for your kind review

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

517 Views
4 Reviews
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on August 19, 2013
Last Updated on August 19, 2013

Author

Poetic Justice
Poetic Justice

About
I haven't been around much lately. Seems life has been getting in the way. yada yada baa baa.. No one ever reads this bit..I could put something witty or trite, even a quote from someone dead .. more..

Writing
Shine Shine

A Poem by Poetic Justice