Chapter 4 - Lucky And Unlucky Encounter

Chapter 4 - Lucky And Unlucky Encounter

A Chapter by Eisho Shu
"

Chapter three of Ascension of Dimension Legend

"

It has been 2 hours since we started moving. We try to circle around the places me and Jack woke up at. For weird reason, we actually fall at a distance nearly 100 feet apart. I keep on thinking how we end up falling so far apart but I just can't think of a solution.

 

Jack has been complaining for water about 10 minutes ago. This guy needs to hold on for a bit more, I am thirsty as well so this is just irritating. Just as we are about to head back to the river side where he catches the fish, we heard a cream. That voice belongs to Yuuki and we both recognize it.

 

Me: "Jack!"

 

Jack: "I know, let's go!"

 

We then immediately start running towards the direction of her scream. I only hope they are not is any serious danger. I would go insane if I see Yuuki die because we couldn't save her in time. Jack and I starts dashing despite being exhausted.

 

After around 30 seconds, we see Yuuki running towards us. Wait a second, why is she wet? I want to cover both of our eyes right now due to the fast her clothes are almost see through. The creature that is chasing her looks like a monkey. Wow, I can't believe what I am seeing right now. A monkey chasing a woman, if this is a TV show, I would laugh but the situation doesn't allow me. After a few more second, Yuuki notice us.

 

Yuuki: "Help!"

 

I'm alright on my way, just focus on running please. Is what I thought but when one is running for their life, not many can't think straight. So I grip my sword hard and charge in while Jack starts picking rocks. This guy got some interesting arm strength and he throw very accurately. That is how he helped me when I was about to get killed by the goblin. When I meet up with Yuuki, I can hear her breath loud and clear. She must have be running for a while now.

 

Me: "Keep running! Hide behind Jack!"

 

Yuuki: "What?"

 

Yuuki look confused as I am ready to intercept the monkey.

 

Me: "This monkey is weird. Why does it looks have gorilla face with body of a monkey?" 

 

Jack: "Does it matter?"

 

After he said that, he threw a rock and hit the monkey in the eye.

 

Jack: "Bull's eye! I'm amazing aren't I."

 

I face Jack and give him a thumb up then proceed to finish the monkey. When I am about to slash him, the monkey jumped and hide in the tree. Did the monkey already recover his vision? When I think closely, he was still holding his eye with his hand. I think that monkey notice the danger and decide to escape.

......

...

5 minutes have pass since the monkey jumped away and hid into the tree. I think we can finally relax now. Then Yuuki went up to me panicking and said something she should have told us.

 

Yuuki: "Naomi! We need to help James!"

 

Me: "What do you mean? What happened to James?"

 

Yuuki: "That was not the only monkey. There were about 5 of them chasing us. He became a decoy to let me escape but that monkey notice me and chase my instead."

 

Great, James is in danger too. I knew I shouldn't become the leader. Though thinking about that won't help our situation.

 

Me: "How many are there?"

 

Yuuki: "I think there were about 6 of them"

 

Me: "So there are at least 5 of them chasing James"

 

AHHHHHH! I want to scream so badly. It is one thing after another and this time, there will be more monkeys we need to deal with. I sit down on the ground trying to think of a plan. I want to go help James right now but the situation is different this time. Just when I am about to give up thinking and make a decision; James casually shows up behind me.

 

James: "Yo! How are you guys doing?"

 

Me, Jack, and Yuuki: "Eh!!!"

 

This guy have some scratches here and there with damaged clothe but no major injuries.

 

Yuuki: "You are alright!?"

 

James: "Yeah, I got really lucky. While those monkeys were chasing me, we ran into a black beast."

 

Me: "Did that beast help you or something?"

 

James: "Well it kind of did. When I see the beast, I turn and keep running but the monkey suddenly stop moving. I slowed down to see what is going on and then the beast start fighting them. I start running again since I didn't want to get involved or put myself in more danger than I need to. That is about it"

 

Me: "Black Beast? What does it look like?"

 

James: "Sorry, I didn't really see it clearly. It walks on four though. Also, I'm glad you two are safe."

 

Jack: "Dude, of course we are fine. I mean, we even survive that fall yesterday"

 

Me, James, and Yuuki looks at each other. It looks like we all have the same question. "How did we survive?"

 

Me: "You guys know how we live through that fall?"

 

James and Yuuki both shake their head saying no. But Jack seems to have a different opinion.

 

Jack: "Something slowed our fall but at the same time, it blew us apart."

 

Wait a second, I thought this guy have no idea what happened either.

 

Me: "Wait... You remember everything?"

 

Jack nods and then continues

 

Jack: "A huge wind suddenly start blow from below us and slowed our fall. While that is happening, It seems like the air current also separated us."

 

I just make a loudest face palm ever in my life. I actually didn't know it is possible to make such noise.

 

Me: "Okay, anything else?"

 

Jack: "That is everything, I have no idea where those winds come from so I have no idea how we survive."

 

This guy is an idiot! Sure, the wind can't be explained but at least knowing what saved us would help. Then Yuuki say something unbelievable to us.

 

Yuuki: "I think someone did that to save us. I noticed something I am able to do when I was running through a river while back."

 

Me: "What?"

 

Yuuki: "I think I can control water or something."

 

Me: "You mean like magic?"

 

Yuuki nod in respond. All of us seem to believe her due to the crazy events that have happened so far. We want her to show us her magic or whatever she is capable doing but first, all of us need a good rest.

 

During this time, Yuuki keep trying to figure out how she manages to control water. After around 20 minutes, she is actually able to create water. She is capable of making water appear out of thin air in a form of a water ball. This is just crazy; did she also become a real mage? Then I ask Yuuki if she is able to use that water to do something more than just appear. I know I'm asking a lot but if she is able to use magic to repel those monsters, we will be able relax a bit more. Though we should head back to the river side, it has food and water there. The open space there will also allow us to notice if any monsters are nearby.

 

After we went back to the river, we split up into two groups. I and Yuuki will be together while James and Jack will be fishing for food. I will be practicing my swordsmanship while Yuuki will focus on making the water to be used as weapon. I know this sound really crazy, but we are lacking in survivability in this forest. If we can figure out a way to defend ourselves, we will be much safer.

 

By the end of the day, Yuuki is able to make the water ball explode. She is able to shoot out the water ball range but the limit is about 100 feet. The explosion is able to damage a tree as if someone smashed it with war hammer at full force. Getting hit by that will definitely hurt without good protection. Then we decide to call that attack "Water Bomb".

 

As for me, I think my sword handling got better. I was having some problem with the weight, but now it feels 5 pounds lighter. My muscle shouldn't get stronger since yesterday but it just feels lighter for some unknown reason.

 

When James and Jack come back, they come back with about 30 fishes. That is way too many for four people. What are these two thinking when they are fishing? Did they had a fishing contest? It turns out, I am right when I ask them. We don't have anything to preserve the fish and release them back in the riven seems like a waste. Eventually, we end up cooking all of them and try making fish jerky. We are able to try making fish jerky is because Jack always carry salt with him. I really don't understand why do some people carry salt with them but it come in handy.

 

We turned 20 fish into jerky and kept 4 of them fresh as tomorrow's breakfast. This is the second night we end up sleeping in the wild. This time though, we took turn in watching over our little camp fire. The first one up is James, then me, then Yuuki, and finally ends with Jack. I should get some sleep right now, we decide to rotate around every 2 hours so we all can get at least 6 hours of sleep. I fall a sleep almost immediately when I lay down.

......

...

I can feel someone shaking me.

 

Me: "... What?"

 

James: "It's time to change shift"

 

Already? Two hours sure went fast. I feel like I didn't really get any sleep but I do feel much better.

 

Me: "Alright, I'll take over. Good night James."

 

He nod and go to sleep, this guy sure is sturdy. I guess having a strong body really helps in situation like this. I sit down near the fire and make sure it doesn't go out. The night in the forest is surprisingly cold without fire.

......

...

How long has being? I check the time; It has only been an hour. Not good, looking at the fire is making me drowsy. I decide to get up and start swinging me sword again. I can't fall asleep while I'm on watch duty, especially not me since I'm the leader. Though now I think about it, the situations have changed but am I still the leader? I have to talk over this with my friends later.

......

...

Finally, it’s time to change shift. I walk over to Yuuki and wake her up.

 

Me: "Yuuki, wake up"

 

Yuuki: "..."

 

Me: "Yuuki!"

 

Yuuki: "..."

 

I decide to shake on her more but then I notice her condition isn't very well. She looks like she is running a fever. I decide to check on her temperature with my forehead and she is burning up alright. Judging from the temperature, it shouldn’t be a very bad fever. Though, I can't wake her up to make her do something when she is sick. So I go back and extend my shift a bit more. I will just wake Jack up a little early and explain the situation to him.

......

...

Me: "(Yawn)"

 

Okay, it has been little over three hours now. I should really get more sleep. I went over to Jack and try waking him up. I made sure he is not running a fever as well.

 

Jack: "Huh? Wait, why are you the one waking me up?"

 

Me: "Yuuki have fever right now, I decide to let her rest well tonight. I hope you don't mind taking up your shift slightly early."

 

Jack: "Sure, you could have waked me up earlier if that is the case."

 

Me: "It's alright, I just need a little bit more sleep and I will be fine."

 

Jack nod and take over. I lie down once again and go into deep sleep. I can't believe sleeping itself is so nice even on the hard ground. I am one of those people who is a night owl that doesn't go to sleep until like three in the morning almost every day.

......

...

Morning came and nothing happen last night. Well, except the fact Yuuki got a fever. Though she look much better now, does one good night of sleep really help that much? I rarely get sick so I have no idea.

 

After breakfast, we set out into the forest again. This time, we are trying to map this forest out in our head as well as doing markings. Everything is going well until we meet that black beast James talked about.

 

That beast shows up from nowhere and starts attacking us. That beast looks like a lion but it is completely black with horns. If I am going to compare this to, I will say it look like a smaller Behemoth. I say small is because it is very big when anything portrait a Behemoth, but this one is only the size of a lion. 

 

Before we get to do anything, James immediately got knock out. Luckily, due to his sturdy body, he is only unconscious. Yuuki on the other hand got so scared that she starts to fire her Water Bomb blindly. Some of them hit but the beast are able to recover its wound after a few second. I can't believe what I am seeing right now. If this is a dream, please let me wake up.

 

If we try to run right now, I don't think it will let us go. Our only way of survival is to take this thing down. Though I have no idea what we should do. All I am doing is to try and time the difference between Yuuki's Water Bomb and attack the flesh that got opened up by the explosion. Jack is trying to aim for its eye but every time when is about to hit, it closes its eye and the rock just bounce off its eye lid. I think we are managing to fight on even ground, but I don’t know how long we will last right now.

 

Then, the beast suddenly did a war cry on us. The pressure we feel from the beast is so intense, all of us fell backward. Yuuki, who couldn't take it anymore end up wet herself out of fear. Jack is not in a much better situation either. I force myself to stand up and take a stance. My sword is chipped all over and it might break after a few more hit but if I give up now, we will all die. I can't believe our luck is just this bad. Right after we found each other, we met this monster who will kill us all the day after. I sincerely wish for a hero right now, if they do, please help us.



© 2016 Eisho Shu


Author's Note

Eisho Shu
I want to know what kind of reviews people will give me first. The type of review I want the most right now is towards my writing style and ideas. Any reviews are welcome, I want to improve my writing.
Note: I am writing this as if it is a light novel so some names and terms may be confusing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh that was a great chapter. I loved the imagery and the interesting world that you have created here. Keep it up. It has some grammatical errors but again some editing will fix that. If you want to signify thoughts than try italics. That is what I do.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Very nice chapter. I have to say I love the story plot. It's very interesting and funny at times.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 1, 2016
Last Updated on April 16, 2016
Tags: sword, monster, forest, adventure, action, fantasy


Author

Eisho Shu
Eisho Shu

Chicago, IL



About
I love games and anime. Then I pick up visual novel and eventually that got me into some Japanese light novel and Web novel. That is what brings me here to try and start my own story. My pen name is a.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Goddess The Goddess

A Story by Aurafiex