MY UNFORGETTABLE EASTER

MY UNFORGETTABLE EASTER

A Story by poetdoug
"

This is currently published in IDEALS EASTER MAGAZINE, 2014 by Douglas Raymond Rose

"
It was the Ideal Easter morning--glorious sunshine, no rain and daylight-saving time was in our favor.
 The large church sanctuary was packed to capacity. The trumpet trio played "Christ Arose" and the red-robed choir sang a rousing anthem of 'He Lives."
Dozens of white Easter lilies encircled the chancel area, and Easter bonnets popped up all over the congregation like colorful fresh tulips with silk ribbons.
I'd just read the Easter text from Luke 24: Now upon the first day of the week, a very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared...And they found the stone rolled away...and they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus."
When I glanced up to make eye contact with my audience, something strange caught my eye. A pink[eyed, fluffy baby rabbit was being passed up and down a crowded row of pre-teen girls, all in their Easter dresses.  I heard a familiar giggle. My 10 year old daughter, Aimee, and her friends were the culprits, and they were getting much more attention with their Easter rabbit, that I was with my carefully prepared Easter sermon!
I motioned dramatically to my wife, Dolly, and sizing up the rabbit situation, she slipped over to help the surprised bunny make a fast Easter exit.
After the service, our daughter's simple explanation for the scene was:"I found it in our backyard and put it in my purse, so my friend c could take it home with her to their farm."
She was making sure the 
Easter Bunny got a good home. It all made perfect sense to her!
The congregation got an impromptu illustrated Easter sermon, as I quickly connected this distraction to the top at hand. Like the baby bunny, we have new life provided to us from God above.
Matt reminds us "And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy, and did run to bring his disciples word."
Similarly news of our long-eared guest spread quickly following that unforgettable 
Easter morning service. From then on we made sure we checked out Aimee's purse each Easter Sunday. After all, its hard to find the Easter bunny in the biblical Easter story---no matter what translation you use!
Happy Easter to all!
by DRR Guideposts Publications, 2014

© 2014 poetdoug


Author's Note

poetdoug
Our daughter Aimee Rose went on to become a pastor's wife and now its her job to check on their daughter's Easter purse! LOL

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

450 Views
Added on March 31, 2014
Last Updated on March 31, 2014
Tags: Easter, IDEALS MAGAZINE, Unforgettable, Easter Morning

Author

poetdoug
poetdoug

Dallas, TX



About
Member Academy of American Poets Member Texas State Historical Society Free lance writer for GUIDEPOSTS Magazines, and The EVANGEL, DEVOZINE Teen Magazine; Standard Publishing and Gospel Publishi.. more..

Writing