Autism Ignorance

Autism Ignorance

A Poem by Kristine
"

Well, I have an autistic sister and each and everyday I spend with her, she inspires me more and more. and I'm so tired of people just assuming "Oh, bad parenting." "The child is obnoxious." when they aren't even aware of the situation

"

The child seemingly uncapable but cute

can highly mathematically compute.

 

The young one that doesn't speak

has the most to say and is far from weak.

 

The girl that can't seem to socialize

tries to make a friend who she can idolize.

 

The boy you always hear bursting out in anger

isn't always causing danger.

 

We look at the children and only assume what we see.

Next time look inside them and see what they can be.

 

So thank you Stefanie, for helping me realize,

everything about you was simply hidden behind your eyes.

© 2008 Kristine


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

My sister has Autism too. I'm only in 5th grade so its hard for me to cope, but you made me smile so brightly. Read my poem about my sister
'Eve doesnt talk'

Posted 11 Years Ago


Well said. Yes, so many people are misunderstood. But you put it out there for others. And we understand. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Sad that people are misunderstood. I had the pleasure of taking care of a disabled man and learned alot about people with disabilities. Nice write.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is truly beautiful.
my brother has it & I do to a lesser extend.
hes the kindest most smiley boy in the world but faces a lot of bullying at school like I did.
whenever I feel upset I think of him as he never lets it get to him which takes a lot of bravery....

Posted 15 Years Ago


I like this a lot. I love your sister. She's really awesome.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Amazing as usual.
And I fully agree,
I know quite a few autistic children that are friends of my little sister. I hate the way some people look at them. Great job?

Posted 15 Years Ago


My brother has autiam and i have writen about him as well
nice work
beautiful
too see the world through innocent eyes

Posted 16 Years Ago


autism is rough..... i hope you and your family can help your sister be happy and all that kinda stuff.... very heartfelt write nice work!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


Kristine, this is absolutely beautiful, and oh, how I agree with you. Though I only know of someone that works with autism, I think this write crosses even the boundary of autism, in that people judge so freely without knowing the situation or the person. We are far to quick to judge, and especially parenting.
I had a strong willed child for instance. Only a person that has had one would understand. It's easy to pass judgment if you haven't experienced it. I would say the same goes for autism.

Your life is richer because of the inspiration that comes from your sister, causing you to be becoming a person of depth. The fact that you are teachable and open to learn in this way is truly inspiring.

My two favorite lines:

The young one that doesn't speak

has the most to say and is far from weak.

We look at the children and only assume what we see.

Next time look inside them and see what they can be. (Again, this is true for every child, even the difficult ones that don't have autism!) Kudos to you for such an inspirational and thought provoking write!

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

226 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on March 27, 2008
Last Updated on March 29, 2008

Author

Kristine
Kristine

About
Well, my name is Kristine, incase you haven't figured that out yet... Um, I've been 'writing' for a while I guess, but most of the stuff I've written isn't too great, or at least the stuff I first wro.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..