Life is like a Stage

Life is like a Stage

A Story by lyndsey
"

This story is based on my own personal experience that I wrote a little while back. Hope you enjoy!

"

I used to be regarded as the quiet one.

 

Someone that no one noticed--almost like a void that was just there. I felt like an outcast, all alone with no one to talk to. Most of the time, I just sat in the back of the room for what seemed like hours on end, internally battling the question, “Why am I here?” I even remember those moments of counting down earnestly, as if time was the key to my escape. Deep down, I wanted to be out of the theatre. I thought it was going to be no fun at all. After all, I only signed up for the class to see what it was like. Well, I saw it and I didn’t like it. If I decided that the class wasn’t for me, then wasn’t it my right to leave the same way I came in? It wasn’t as if anyone was going to miss me. However, I was never more wrong in my life.

 

One day, the director let us know that we were going to be putting on monologues, which I later learned were one-act plays. We had about two days to rehearse our lines and perform in front of everyone for a homework grade. It was absolutely nerve-wracking. A part of me wanted to just call it “quits”, but now I had quite a dilemma on my hands. My grades, which I have worked so mercilessly over in the past, were now at stake. Lousing up the performance was simply not an option. At that moment, I knew I had to do my best or risk losing my livelihood.

 

I ended up picking out the monologue, “Walk, Don’t Walk,” by Jane Wagner. The monologue featured a crazy bag lady who tells ludicrous stories about her life. Playing the part of Trudy was definitely going to be a huge step from my usual conservative personality.

 

Over the weekend, I rehearsed continuously in front on my family. As one can imagine, my constant performances were starting to irritate the members of my family. They eventually got me acquainted with the door, followed by a quick shove to the outdoors.

 

When it was my turn to perform on Monday, I was sweating bullets. I was so sure that I was going to forget my lines that I even took the book onstage. I had a mild case of stage fright that is even apparent sometimes today. However, that weakness of mine has never stopped me. Instead, I feel that stage fright is something that one can convert to strength so long as the person has the willpower to confront his or her fears. In my case, I basically had no choice. It was either to get on the stage and perform or don’t perform at all and receive a zero, but I wasn’t going to let that happen.

 

It wasn’t until I got up onstage that I realized what a big mistake I was making. “Is it too late to turn back?” was the only question screaming within the depths of my mind. At this point, I was scared out of my wits because all eyes were on me now. Never before had anyone even regarded me as being alive, but now, they were all staring. I had remembered that I was no longer just a high school student, but Trudy, the crazy bag lady. I said my lines with such fierceness that one would have that I actually was crazy and when I was done everyone clapped and the director even congratulated me. I was so happy, but so relieved at the same time that it was finally over.

 

Through this experience, the performing arts have taught me the importance of getting out of my comfort zone and not to let fear control you. Since that experience, I have been in a few other musicals and I have sung at three talent shows. To this day, I’ve always asked myself what would have happened if I had not gone out on that stage. I am just grateful that I did.

© 2011 lyndsey


Author's Note

lyndsey
Every time I read this, it has reminded me of the importance of never letting your fears control you. Oftentimes, the only thing holding you back is your own fears, but it's only when facing your fears can they truly be overcome. Leave a review if you like what you read. ;-)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

247 Views
Added on June 1, 2011
Last Updated on June 1, 2011