1960's Gang Fight (Part I)

1960's Gang Fight (Part I)

A Chapter by Molly

The year was 1965 as new residents moved into the old house in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. The town was in such a rally since no one new ever moved into Broken Arrow, and into the old abandoned house no less. So far, no one has seen the new folks, but with this town's gossip group, rumors about them would travel quickly.

The old biddies that sat in their rocking chairs somehow knew that there were two new people that moved in. A lady and a gentleman seemed to living there. The more scandalous thought was that the gentleman's skin looked to be bordering on the shade of dark chocolate and tan.

With the segregation laws finally gone, this wouldn't be a problem with the state, but with people's attitudes, a different problem all together. Some people were still racist against Negro's.

A week passed and still, the couple did not emerge from the old house. The only indication that they lived there was the fact that moving boxes were piling outside the house and bit by bit, the house was being fixed up. A new white paint job here, a drooping gutter fixed there, and the likes. The overgrown yard, got cut, and flowers were planted.

The only mysterious thing was that no one saw anyone working out on the house during the day. The only other explanation was to work on it at night, but without proper lighting, it was impossible, one of the old biddies speculated. By Friday, the house looked brand new.

Well, it seemed that a certain gang of youths seemed determined to rile the new residents and initiate a new member at the same time. The boy had to sneak into the house and spray paint the walls. To prove that he'd been there and done it, he had to bring back the empty spray can and a memento from the house without being caught.

The gang was as close as brothers, and meant no harm. They just thought it'd be some fun and they might be able to know more about the people that had come into their town. In all honesty, they were gang of good boys.

That Saturday evening, they had set up their posts around the house, consisting of two in the back and two in the front of the house while the newest member circled, looking for an opening.

Surprisingly enough, he found the back screen door was open, and he stepped into a clean, pristine home that was foreign to him. The place seemed deserted, but almost all the lights were on.

Quietly, he moved about the house, taking in its nice furniture and decorations. As he stepped, the floorboard under him creaked. He paused, his heart racing, chest heaving as he waited to see if a demon would come down the grand stairs and eat him.

He decided to get this over with and took out a spray can and started shaking it. Soon enough, one of the white walls was now being graffiti-ed.

"Are you having fun?" a deep voice asked.

The boy's nerves were pretty much fried before all this started, so he instantly dropped the can and whirled around, knocking over a nearby table with a lamp on it.

A man was standing in front of him, his tanned arms were crossed, his dark black eyes boring down into his own. He was tall, somewhere over six feet. It was obvious he did a lot of outdoor work. The boy tried to form words, to say he was sorry, anything, but nothing would come.

They stared at each other for what seemed like an eternity until another figure appeared at the top of the stairwell. "Adam? Are you alright? I heard a crash," a feminine voice said, coming closer and closer.

A petite looking woman walked in through the archway, a towel over her wet and dripping hair. She was short, probably just under five-eight, the smoothest creamy skin he had ever seen, and had amazing violet eyes that seemed to swirl with every single color known to man. She had a heart-shaped face. Her eyes narrowed as she took in the situation.

Her favorite lamp was shattered on the floor, dark streaks of black covered the recently painted walls, and a boy being caught red-handed with the spray can just inches from his feet. She didn't look very happy.

She tilted her head in speculation. "You didn't come here alone, did you?" she asked, and the boy shook his head, terrified as to what she would do. "Adam, could you go check around the house, please?"

As the man left, he automatically thought of ways to escape. She was only a woman, a small one at that, and he could easily get out of her grasp. His thoughts were proven wrong as she briskly walked over to him, and grabbed him by the scruff of his collar and started dragging him towards the couch and sat him down.

He had never been handled like this by a woman.

"You sit there until we find your friends," she said standing over him, and started to take the towel from her head and dry her hair. Her hair was black as night, dyed that color on purpose. A single feather seemed to be woven into the strands. White as snow along with the beads on it. She glanced back at him. "I expect a full explanation when Adam gets back, okay?"

Just then, Adam walked in with all four of his friends by the scruffs of their shirts, two in each hand. "I found them in the front and back of the house, hiding behind your gardenias. You'll have to replant some of your tulips," he said, and took another look at her, taking in her hair, and smirked. "Nice hair."

She flipped him the bird. "Shut up. It's better than it was before," she said before she gave an angry glare at the gang. "Sit your asses down this minute. Now explain why the hell you've done this to my house."

They were shocked by her language, no lady talked like that in the town. The gang stammered out what they had planned. She even noticed that one of the boys had the audacity to say that they meant no harm.

"Tell that to the wall." she snapped. "Or my lamp. What about my tulips? For god's sake, do you know how much paint costs, how much tulips cost? Where are your parents? I want you to go get them and bring them back here. Don't give me that look. If you're not back here in half an hour, I will hunt you brats down. Understand?"

They nodded their heads slowly and the boys scrambled out of the house to do her bidding and she watched them go with a small smile on her face. After they were out of sight, she chuckled, shut the door.

She turned back towards Adam and pulled out a piece of paper from her pocket and smiled. "Len Radly, leader of the gang, seventeen-year-old drop out. Soon to come into contact with Ron Walisk, leader of another gang. They're both enemies, and Ron is our target. Are you ready?" she asked.

He grinned a predators grin that would've scared the most ferocious beast out there. "Ready when you are."

 

 

 

The gang had gathered up their folks, just as Eve had told them to do. Adam had answered the door and led them to the kitchen where she was cooking dinner. He was about to cross the area where the dining room and kitchen met when Eve snapped. "I told you, stay out of the kitchen!"

"I was just going to get the dishes to set the table." he said, defensively

She directed a glare at him. "You know what happens when you enter the kitchen."

He said nothing to defend himself.

"You just go and show our guests where to sit. I'm almost done anyways."

The parents, not knowing what was going on, looked at them with wide and scared eyes. Like most of the people in Broken Arrow, this was the second time that anyone had ever seen the mysterious new residents. And to find that they were quite modern, was a shock compared to the sick and twisted rumors of those old biddies in their rocking chairs told.

Dinner was served on a gigantic dining table and Adam had managed to squeeze in a few extra chairs. The parents sat down, stammering that they'd pay for all the damage that their children had done.

Food was served for everyone but it seemed that only the new residents were relaxed enough to touch their food. She wiped her mouth with a napkin calmly and smiled. Ah, she really loved spaghetti. The smile made her look younger, nicer, prettier. "I'm sorry, we never properly introduced ourselves. I'm Eve Eden, and this is my brother, Adam."

One of the fathers did a double take and cleared his throat. "You're... related?" Another one asked, "You're siblings?" It was quite a shock, for they looked nothing alike really. He was a tall, muscular, and tan fierce looking man, while she was small, pale, meek looking.

Adam gave a rue smile. "Genetics are one of the strangest things."

Eve smiled too, and took a sip of her wine. "Let's get to the point. I could have you charged for breaking and entering, and on top of that, damage of personal property." The parents flinched at the accusations. "I don't want to get the authorities involved in such a small case, really, so we're offering you an alternative. I want all five of your boys to do some work for us. We need to repaint that wall now, replant some tulips, and fix up the house some more. Adam and I will accept that hard work in compensation for the lamp that was also broken."

Parent's mouths dropped open, and started talking all at once. "Y-you would really do that?" "Oh, thank you!" They were all just so happy that they wouldn't have to pay any fines and that their boys would be just fine.

"Great, if we're all in agreement, we'll have your boys over from nine 'til four o' clock. We'll provide lunch, naturally. Is that alright?" Eve asked, looking a little more that satisfied.

The boys protested that it was too early to get up in the summertime, they didn't want to go at all, but their parents quickly quieted them with the clearing of throats and glares directed their way.

Eve was satisfied for now. She could see that if they went on this path, then the future would be well, but she also saw many forks -possibilities that one choice could throw off the entire future, and she could only hope that these boys were exactly like she thought they were. Luckily, she was an excellent judge of character.

With the tension in the room gone, everyone started eating their dinner, and at the end, Adam asked if he could take anyone home in the car.

She perked up. "Can I-?"

"No." he said, cutting her off.

"You're no fun." she said, pouting.

Adam shook his head. "Just as I can't go in the kitchen, you can't drive the car."

Eve turned away and muttered, "I think I'm a pretty good driver."

  "Tell that the to the officer when you're pulled over."

The parents found this amusing, chuckled and said that they would all be fine with walking home and that their sons would be back bright and early tomorrow ready for work. The new residents just smiled nicely and waved them off into the night.

Late that night, Eve was reading a book and Adam just came down from his shower and chuckled. "Eden? Really?"

She smiled and put down her book and looked up at him. "Ironic, isn't it? We chose the names Adam and Eve, the ones who started this race of humans, and in return, we get a story of a golden apple and a snake. It all happens in the garden, so why not?"

He came and sat down before the couch, facing away from her, and she started to dry his hair with the towel he had. "Are you trying to say we're corrupted?" he asked, amusement lacing his tone.

"Corrupted?" she murmured. "What makes us corrupted I wonder. I wonder if it's the fact that this world will grow to such heights that it won't be able to support itself and that I helped it reach that point or the fact that I did nothing to stop this world from progressing."

"You can't blame yourself on what you were obligated to do," he said, quietly.

 

She lowered her head to his in shame. "But I do," she whispered.



© 2013 Molly


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
Added on January 17, 2013
Last Updated on January 18, 2013


Author

Molly
Molly

GA



About
Ah... I'm Molly. The weird, awkward hermit that doesn't like people... Yep. That's me... Alright, I'll be honest... I love Owl City (they are my heart and soul) along with the actual owls :3 Mus.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Molly


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Molly