The Little Mermaid

The Little Mermaid

A Story by Lucia Morgan
"

my take on the deep sea tale.

"
Deep beneath the inky green sea, she dances among the willowy soft seaweed, more elegantly then a seal, whose shiny cold skin is suited to the task of enchantment. Even so, she dances, slicing and separating the water behinds her into whirlpools of excited air bubbles and loose sand sprayed out like glitter. She loves the water, and takes in deep breaths of it, her paper-thin ivory gills quivering. Fish scurry nervously in her presence, simultaneously frightened and curious. The ones small and bland enough not to be noticed, swarm in her hair, which is as long and tangled as kelp. The others swarm, hiding in the shadow of her, looking up, pleased with themselves at their cunning. Beautiful smooth stones roll along the ocean bed as she rushes by. She closes her eyes, as she maneuvers through the currents, and the stifled rays of sun, that somehow find their way into the thick dark gray waters near the end of the sea.

© 2010 Lucia Morgan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love the descriptive words. It gives you the feeling of the water swirling around yourself and the vision of sea creatures around you, some unnoticeable.

Posted 8 Years Ago


short, sweet and to the point. i like it good job

Posted 13 Years Ago


Lovely lyrical writing. I am not sure whether the words "whose shiny cold skin" refer to the seal or the mermaid. Also i'm stopped by the word "swarm" the first time you use it. Try another word for "maneuver". Re my "The travel from Hell" -I thought I was just signing up. I have a new computer an am adjusting to Windows7 but will begin writing in another week or two. thanks for your encouragement. Not sure about the scoring, think you can easily rate higher.
Natalie-Holualoa

Posted 14 Years Ago


"paper-thin ivory gills quivering" Good imagery! Curious about swirlpools did you mean whirlpools? This is an interesting take on a classic tale. A slice if you will out of the middle of the story. I always liked the fairy tale!

Posted 14 Years Ago


This felt very much like a prose poem. It was very beautiful; I liked your interpretation of the more classical story. This felt like a character deconstruction of the Little Mermaid.
Typographical errors:
1. Simultaneously
2. Maneuvers
Good work. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


this is very imaginative. im liking it man

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

798 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 21, 2010
Last Updated on March 19, 2010
Tags: mermaids, sea, ocean, fish, nature, water, bubbles, swimming, woman

Author

Lucia Morgan
Lucia Morgan

Tempe, AZ



About
shy. enjoys everyday things. aspiring writer. favorite books include All Quite On The Western Front, The Bell Jar, and others. favorite authors include Vladimir Nabokov, Kurt Vonnegut, Ernest.. more..

Writing
Single Single

A Poem by Lucia Morgan


A Crush A Crush

A Poem by Lucia Morgan