"Summers End"

"Summers End"

A Story by John Preston
"

This from a very small part of my manuscript when a certain young lady falls asleep and dreams -please read my text.

"

“This must be the room then, I’m waked out Cleo and I’m sure you are too,” said Patricia.

 They each take a bed and rest their heads on the pillows which they’ve not seen or used for such a very long time and within seconds there both fast asleep.  Birds chirping calling time to rise for Patricia and Cleo asleep in their cosy slumber down, on awakening take a peek through the window pane.  Below they’d see hedgehogs, foxes, rabbits and hares even a squirrel showing he cares, for as this place being tranquil, peaceful, calm and serene and carefree it’s so cool.  Patricia is aware and conscious of saying to herself, why am I looking down at a rabbit with someone talking into my ear.    

 

   Do you see Mrs Dabble the rabbit, pegging out her washing, see her five youngsters playing near the stream, there’s Frattle, and Drazzle, Cuddles and Muzzels and lastly her youngest Nussle’s, And here comes Mr Humble the weasel  from Dirrington fields, he’s riding his tricycle, singing his song.

       

“I’m Mr Humble, singing my song as i ride along, why not  come with me, just whistle a tune, any will do, Da-de da-du-de-du, just for you, is it you or is it blue, can’t go far over the hills and away we go. Da-de-da-du-de-du just for you riding my tricycle, singing my song, there’s no double D in tea you see, Da-de-da-du-de-du riding along on my tricycle, peddle don’t meddle as i treadle, Da-de-da-du-de-du just for you, riding my tricycle singing my song, Da-de-da-du-de-du just for you, riding my tricycle singing my song, it’s not a riddle that’s in the middle, Da-de-da-du-de-du just for you, good day to you Mrs Dabble, come rain or shine always a smile, Da-de-da-du-de-du just for you,  I’m Mr Humble singing my song, why not come along join in my song, just whistle a tune any will do, riding my tricycle singing my song, Da-de-da-du-de-du”



Mr Humbles riding is tricycle as he approaches Mrs Dabbles house, he sees that she’s pegging her weekly wash on to her washing line, it’s always the same, come sunshine or rain, each Monday morning, the Copper waters boiling in the laundry room, which is attached to the house made of stone, so it won’t burn down, and it takes most of the morning to complete this task without her moaning or groaning.  Mrs Dabble greets Mr Humbles with, “Would you like a tipple Mr Humble, it’s freshly brewed in the earthen- ware, it’s on the boil on the range, come leave your tricycle by the door, tell me about Mr Drapple the cunning sly fox, he’s always scheming on how to make a fast doe.”

“You can leave your shoes on Mr Humbles, I’ve wept outside, there’s no dust there, come, please come in, take a chair near the inglenook, “


Mrs Dapple place’s a chair close to the range, “Here take a seat, I’ll pour the tipple and I’ve made some carrot cake, you’ll, I’m sure like that.”


 So Mrs Dabble is busy pouring, and talking, and slicing the cake, poor Mr Humbles can’t get a word in edgeways. Mrs Dabble hands Mr Humbles a salver with her legendary carrot and raisin cake with a fork and spoon and a napkin of course, no guest would be without these important accessories at Mrs Dabbles table, he thanks her humbly for his generous portion, which is so a large wedge shape, one could put under the wheel of a horse drawn cart to stop it moving. He thinks he’ll never be able to move after eating such a bountiful piece.  

 He remarks, “You’re so very generous, surely you won’t have enough for your family my dear Mrs Dabble.”


 “Oh, that’s all right Mr Humbles, I’ve made three just yesterday, so you see, we have plenty.”


 “Now eat up and I’ll pour another tipple.”


 “Oh, I’ve not had my first yet, thank you kind woman; I’d surely need to use your dressing room if I partake anymore.”


 Mr Humble feels Mrs Dabbles eyes are focused watching every movement whilst using his fork and spoon as he eats her tasty moisture carrot cake.


Mrs Dabbles asks Mr Humbles, “For any news down in Crinklewood Place.”

 

 Mr Humble replied well, “Oh, tidings for Mrs Hedgehog, she delivered two fledglings early yesterday, just before dawn, and there two belting boys, big and strong they be. I’m told Mrs Field mouse thinks her delivery will be this week, however she never stays still, and she’s always nipping in those corn fields; she tells me her storeroom is full and so is  her pantry,  there’s no need to gather for quite a while, leaving plenty of time for her young litter of five or more she’s expecting.”


“And Mr Grey the squirrel from Oak Wood Grange, he’s in the Spital, ward six, a branch he jump too snapped and he injured his right leg, so he’s laid up for a while, he’s a fighter and won’t be in the Spital for long.”


 “Yes, yes says Mrs Dabbles waiting to hear what news there is about Mr Drapple, I hear he’s been trying to sell stolen motor vehicles, has constable Stripe the badger had words with him yet, have you any news about that Mr Humbles.”


 “Now, now Mrs Dabbles, don’t be too hasty in judging our very good friend the sly fox, Mr Drapple. We all have had dealings with him in some way, even you, when he brings you your raisons when there out of season, you’re most indebted and thankful being able to make those scrumptious delightful carrot and raison cakes so late in winter, why even Mrs Turnip is envious and jealous I hear, after she’s frequented your hospitality for afternoon tipple. And of course constable Stripe knows all the local tails and woes from around seven acres; he’s been on this beat some years now, as you well know Mrs Dabbles. Well I must leave you, my most enjoyable delightful young lady; I’ve enjoyed your company and an agreeable afternoon tipple it was, thank you most kindly, I must depart now.”


 Mrs Dabbles thanks Mr Humble for calling and making his acquaintance and asks, “That he calls again very soon.”

“I’ll do that with pleasure,” he assures her as he slips his tricycle clips on the bottom of his trouser legs, farewell madam, and good bye children as he pass’s them on the side of the road.      

As Mr Humble leaves, Patricia is seeing herself nearing Mrs Rabbit’s fence and then to the gate where Mrs Dabbles is standing watching her little ones playing. Patricia is walking to where she knows not.


“Hello young lady, how are you,” said Mrs Dabbles, as she addressing Patricia who without thinking, replied with.

 “Oh, Very well thank you madam.”


 Patricia's thinking can I be here in this place, and is this rabbit talking to me.  Patricia now looks down and raisers her hands, then pinches herself to make sure she’s not dreaming.


Mrs Dabbles asked Patricia, “If she’d like a ginger beer with ice, seeing as it’s such a very hot afternoon my dear young girl.”


 Patricia's still in shock that Mrs Dabbles can see her, she’s telling herself this is a dream I’m in, and looks down to her hands again to make sure they are hers and not some kind of animal.  


“Yes please,” replied Patricia to Mrs Dabbles, “That would be very kind of you, I‘m rather dry and thirsty.”

Mrs Dabble opened the gate and beckons Patricia through, Mrs Dabbles walks along the path saying to Patricia, “Just a moment dear,” As she calls out to her young ones to come and have some tiffin.


“Alright mother,” Cuddles calls back, “And then tells her brothers and sister to follow her up to the house.”


Right my dear; “Please follow me into the house sweet child will you.”


Mrs Dabble introducers herself, then asks Patricia her name as they walk towards the front door, “Oh, my names Patricia, I’m not from around here she tells Mrs Dabble,”


 “That doesn’t matter my child we always have people like you passing this way now and again it’s quite normal. It’s a hot day and you look as if you need a cool drink and a nice piece of my home made carrot cake,” Mrs Dabble says as they are walking along the cobbled path towards the house. Patricia could hear the children behind her talking and giggling then Mrs Dabble turns and ask her children to, “Wash their hands before coming into the house,”


“Yes mother” is the reply, all in unison as the children go to the side of the house to clean up.


Patricia can see it’s a sweet little cottage with thatched roof and purple flowers creeping up part of the front walls. ‘Oh, yes, and plenty of plant pots with abundance of beautiful flowers with the aroma that flowed into ones nostrils as one passed before entering into the house. Patricia went over to where some of the pots were and breathed in the lovely scent that each different plant was emitting.


Mrs Dabble opened her front door, “Come in child, no need to take your shoes off, see over there,” as she points to a pail on a small table, “You may refresh yourself and a cloth to the side here, ”pointing to a long looking towel.


Patricia went over to the pail and dipped her hands into a cool cloudy looking liquid, as soon as she put her hands in she felt her hands tingling and pulled her hands out straight away, “It’s all right Patricia,” Mrs Dabble tells her, “It’s only the root from the coda plant, we use it to sterilise and keep germ’s at bay, it’s so useful don’t you think?”


 “Yes I suppose it is really, we don’t have that were I come from,” replied Patricia.  


“Come Patricia sit just here before the children rush in,” which on queue they came running in shouting and being very noisy as most young rabbits are, they dragged the chairs on the wooden floor boards, then all sat round the table now so silent, now they’d noticed Patricia sitting one end of the table.  Patricia said, “Hello” to the children, they all replied back and straight away started chatting to each other, then the one on Patricia's left turned from talking to her brother who was sitting next to her looked straight into Patricia’s eyes and asked Patricia’s name. Patricia took a second before she could speak due to the fact she could not believe she was actually there in person, she’s thinking just like one see’s from a distance as in a dream.

Patricia came out of this silly trance looking feeling, as she was looking at this young rabbit child, and said, “Oh, my names Patricia.

“That’s a nice name,” the child reply’s, “My names Muzzels” And the others, as she points them out to Patricia,” Are Drazzle, Cuddles, Frattle and the youngest is Nussles but only by a few thumps, I’m the eldest,” she tells Patricia, “I’m twelve.”


Patricia asked her, “What twelve years,”


“No silly just twelve,” Muzzels replied with a little laughter in her voice.


 “Oh all right” said Patricia not wanting to feel stupid not knowing what that answer meant.


Cuddles said, “You’re not from around here are you, never seen anyone like you before.”


 “Now, now,” Mrs Dabble calls out to her daughter, “Don’t ask awkward questions of our guest, anyway Cuddles your too young to have seen other people like Patricia.


 “No it’s quite alright,” Patricia reply’s, then sensing all the children’s eyes are focused on her they’ve all stopped chattering. Mrs Dabble brought over a tray with tumblers and a jug of iced cool ginger beer then placed it on the table, one by one she dispenses the ginger beer into tumblers, and places a tumbler to each one there.


“Now wait children, let me bring the carrot cake then Patricia can tell us all, where she’s from, and why she’s passing here on her travels.”


 Mrs Dabbles went over to her larder; she came out with a meat loaf shape cake, then placed it on the table then over to the side table and brought over small plates, placing one in front of each including her place at the other end of the table facing Patricia. Mrs Dabble cut’s the carrot cake and place’s a piece on the relevant plate in front of everyone. The little ones waited for some reason to eat there cake,  Patricia wondered why as she watched Mrs Dabble walk to her side unit, opened a draw with her cutlery in and brought out forks and napkin’s and placed one of each to everyone. 


Mrs Dabble sat down then put her hands together as if to pray and her children did the same. Patricia didn’t know what Mrs Dabble was saying because the language so foreign to her. After Mrs Dabble had finished, Patricia picked up her tumbler and had a nice cool drink, it’s been so long since she’d tasted real ginger beer with ice.


 Patricia looking round the table and then at Mrs Dabble, “Well I said I’d tell you where I’m from,” Patricia told her story, however she did leave out quite a lot not wanting to frighten the young one’s here who as Patricia could see there so amazed at what she’s telling them with their expressions and awe of wonder, with their wide eyes especially on the riding of fang and the flying on a sprillits. 


  It seemed Patricia had been talking for ages when Mrs Dabble tells her young ones to finish eating there carrot cake and drink the ginger beer, then they can all go back outside to play.


“Oh! Mum,” said one little Nussles, “I want to hear more from Patricia, I want to go on great adventures when I grow up,” he told his mother.


“For now young man,” Mrs Dabbles tells him he’s got to learn in school the ways of the world before any thought of wondering off on any fanciful adventures.


Patricia eats her carrot cake and picked up her cool ginger beer drink with a pleasing feeling as it went down.  


“Muzzles asked Patricia would she like to come with them to play outside near the cottage,”


 Patricia told him, “She’d love to see them play and take in the country side there a bout, and her aspiration to take a fresh breath of air from the flowering meadow nearby.” 


“Wait till everyone’s finished,” said Mrs Dabble, “Before you go rushing out, and mind the current in the stream if you go down to the, “Tam-O-Shanter.”


 “Yes we will,” said Drazzle to his mother.


“Have you all finished then,” said Mrs Dabbles, “Yes mother all replied.”


 Even Patricia replied with,” A thank you I’ve finished.”


 “All right then, of you go and take care of Patricia, she doesn’t know the land here a bouts.”


 “We will,” all call out.


 As they quietly leave the table and Patricia places her chair under, then little Nussles takes hold of her hand and said, “Come on let’s play outside.” 

 

All the children now leave the room to go and play down near the Tam-o-Shanter stream with Nussles leading Patricia out into the garden, then down the path through a gate at the end of their garden. They enter the adjoining field which the other children have already run through to the stream.  Patricia can see herself with Nussles, there both walking towards the stream, for some unknown reason Patricia is withdrawing skywards, the two figures below her are growing smaller, as she’s observing this, then only darkness. Patricia’s singing a song in her head as she starts to stare from a heavy restful sleep, its well in to mid-morning when she finally opens her eyes, gives a good wide yawn and stretched both arms out and then rested both hands on the back of her head, she tried to think of the dream she just had before she awoke, it was very patchy to remember, a rabbit and washing, and something on a tricycle singing a song.


Then she sang a few of the words out loud, “Just whistle a tune any will, Da-de da du-de-du.  

  

“What’s that you’re singing,” asked Cleo.


 Now Patricia had awakened, with the sun beating through the open window with a gentle breeze gliding across her face.

“Oh, it’s nothing,” replied Patricia, “Just a dream I had.  Come on we’d better go down stairs and see who lives here.”


 They both trot down the winding staircase, there in the kitchen was an earthen ware pot on the range, Cleo picked a cloth up, lifted the lid on the pot, “It’s gruel Patricia, would you like some for breakfast.”


“Yes please,” Patricia said, “Look, there are two bowls and spoons on that sideboard.”

Patricia picked the bowls and spoons up and took them to Cleo.

© 2016 John Preston


Author's Note

John Preston
Please make any comment you wish on the above text. I'm now on the draft of my story and hopefully this time next year, i hope to have it printed.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
Added on August 28, 2016
Last Updated on August 28, 2016
Tags: creative

Author

John Preston
John Preston

Ashbourne, Derbyshire Dales, United Kingdom



About
I'm past my time not long to go, but ha I'll just keep going, day by day one step at a time. I can not write but I try poetry, rime a little story. Please comment as you feel. It's good to know. Dy.. more..

Writing